CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

What are the parking options for Cape Liberty? Are there parking areas outside the port that include transfer?

Where are you coming from and how are you coming?

The closest parking areas outside the port that we recommend are at Newark Airport and are primarily Park or fly/sleep/cruise options. You can get lots of airport parking, but the cost of round trip transportation to Cape Liberty will offset any savings. $20/day is very reasonable for convenient and secured parking at the port.

There is an offsite lot in Bayonne that is not recommended due to concerns about its overall security and insurance coverage(or lack thereof) for its shuttle operation. For me it's a "ditch and hitch" operation - ditch your car at a storage warehouse in Bayonne NJ and hitch a ride with a random stranger in a random vehicle to Cape Liberty.

Is the parking still available outside or only in the indoor parking garage that was built? We haven’t been to this port in over 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When the parking garage is full, the outside lot is the overflow area. The outside lot is also available for oversized vehicles. The garage can fill up only in the spring summer and fall when there are multiple ships based at Cape Liberty. This summer the 3 ships based at CL are Anthem, Adventure, and Summit. Mein Schiff6 is there several times in the fall. Silhouette and Navigator are also on the calendar.

Our next trip is coming up on Anthem departing April 28 returns May 3. We are flying into EWR on the 27th and will need one night pre cruise. I am hoping for something that can provide airport to hotel Friday, and then hotel to port Saturday. Post cruise we are booked into the Hampton Inn Maddison Square Area and fly out of LGA on May 5th.

What are good options for pre cruise and for getting to the hotel in Manhattan post cruise? I am not looking for bargain basement price accomadations, maybe $250 or so is acceptable.

Thanks for the wonderful giving spirit of those willing to help all us out of towners in our quest for a great trip.

Our next trip is coming up on Anthem departing April 28 returns May 3. We are flying into EWR on the 27th and will need one night pre cruise. I am hoping for something that can provide airport to hotel Friday, and then hotel to port Saturday. Post cruise we are booked into the Hampton Inn Maddison Square Area and fly out of LGA on May 5th.

What are good options for pre cruise and for getting to the hotel in Manhattan post cruise? I am not looking for bargain basement price accomadations, maybe $250 or so is acceptable.

Thanks for the wonderful giving spirit of those willing to help all us out of towners in our quest for a great trip.

Probably not the cheapest, but we stayed at Embassy Suites in Elizabeth (next to EWR). Just looked and for the 27th its $206 inc free breakfast. Free shuttle from EWR (Airtrain P4 station) to hotel, shuttle to port $20pp (sign up when you check in). One free drink at 'happy hour', then $3 a drink. Ruby Tuesdays and iHop 5 minute walk, Jersey Gardens Mall 10 minute walk. We liked it! Sorry, can't help with post cruise.

Simon

Embassy Suites is a good choice but there are less expensive alternatives depending on what extras you want like free breakfast or hotel restaurant. The Embassy shuttle to Cape Liberty is $20/pp, but you can take Uber in the same price range with 2 people.

For example united.com is offering the Renaissance for $114 and has a bar/restaurant.

Thanks Simon and Carol.

Carol, is the Renaissance within walking distance of other retail outlets (drug/grocery store, mall, restaurants, etc.)? The wife and I are walkers, 15 to 18 minuets per miles, so walking to places is not a problem for us within reasonable distance in safe enough environments.

Thanks again for your willingness to help so many with the details of your area.

Thanks Simon and Carol.

Carol, is the Renaissance within walking distance of other retail outlets (drug/grocery store, mall, restaurants, etc.)? The wife and I are walkers, 15 to 18 minuets per miles, so walking to places is not a problem for us within reasonable distance in safe enough environments.

Thanks again for your willingness to help so many with the details of your area.

No, the Renaissance is not in a walkable area. Newark is a highly urban industrialized area - not a vacation destination. Most of the hotels are in areas that are not walkable and offer no services. The only hotels that are walkable to anything are the hotels on International Blvd in Elizabeth. Simon already recommended Embassy Suites. The other hotels are Courtyard Elizabeth, Country

Inns and Residence Inn. You can walk over to the Jersey Gardens Mall - http://www.simon.com/mall/the-mills-at-jersey-gardens. Restaurants are Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, Applebees, Chilis, Johnny Rockets, and the Mall food court. No drug stores or grocery stores and no place to buy wine.

Have you considered the Newport area of Jersey City? You'd have to pay to get there by taxi or Uber, but you would be in a newer upscale urban area with all the restaurants and services you require. This area is on the Hudson River with a nice waterfront Boardwalk with spectacular view of lower Manhattan. Hotels are Marriott Courtyard, Hilton Doubletree, Westin, Candlewood Suites, and Hyatt. Courtyard base price is $162, Doubletree is $182, lastminutetravel.com is offering the Westin at $162. Uber to the port would be a similar cost as going from the airport. Accessible Light rail to Bayonne 34th St + Uber is also an option to the port.

My advice - look closely at Jersey City if you have a $250 budget. For $2.75/pp each way you can run into lower Manhattan in about 10 minutes.

We are booked on the Summit leaving June 27th and are coming into Newark Airport on the 26th. I have a walker/cane and walking is limited. I thought about booking at Country Inn and Suites but would need a restaurant for lunch or dinner. How much is a taxi to the Mall? Or since cost isn't too much of an problem, is there is nice hotel with a restaurant and provides (free or cost doesn't matter) a shuttle to the Cruise Port? Thanks in advance - appreciate the help!! Mary

We are booked on the Summit leaving June 27th and are coming into Newark Airport on the 26th. I have a walker/cane and walking is limited. I thought about booking at Country Inn and Suites but would need a restaurant for lunch or dinner. How much is a taxi to the Mall? Or since cost isn't too much of an problem, is there is nice hotel with a restaurant and provides (free or cost doesn't matter) a shuttle to the Cruise Port? Thanks in advance - appreciate the help!! Mary

1). To get the free hotel shuttle to Country Inns or any other hotel, you have to go from baggage claim up the elevator to the Airtrain, ride to the P4 station, and go down the escalator to connect with your hotel shuttle. If this is not possible for you, you will have to take a cab to your hotel.

2) Ruby Tuesdays and IHOP are on properties that adjoin Country Inns, so a very short walk. You can see the Mall from the hotel, so it would be a very short ride. You would need to pick a restaurant and find it on the mall map so you can get dropped off at the correct location.

3). No free shuttles to the port. The hotels that run shuttles do not have restaurants. However, trinityreservations.com offers a fly cruise package at the Ramada which does have an on premises restaurant and separate cafe. This package has round trip port transportation and is only available through Trinity.

4). There are other hotel options with restaurants, but you would have to book a car service or use Uber/Lyft to get to the port.

Are you booking a handicapped room to minimize your hotel walking?

A bit of extra info, though the Country Inn doesn't do an evening meal, the Embassy Suites across the road does...menu link half way down this page http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-jersey/embassy-suites-by-hilton-newark-airport-EWRELES/dining/index.html .We had a meal there and it was fine and not too expensive, like some hotel restaurants can be.

The ES is probably a bit pricier than the CI, so up to you. Also the shuttle to the port is done by the same company at both hotels. At CI its $17.50pp and at ES $20pp...don't ask me why its different!!

Simon

A bit of extra info, though the Country Inn doesn't do an evening meal, the Embassy Suites across the road does...menu link half way down this page http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-jersey/embassy-suites-by-hilton-newark-airport-EWRELES/dining/index.html .We had a meal there and it was fine and not too expensive, like some hotel restaurants can be.

The ES is probably a bit pricier than the CI, so up to you. Also the shuttle to the port is done by the same company at both hotels. At CI its $17.50pp and at ES $20pp...don't ask me why its different!!

Simon

Thanks Simon. I didn't realize Embassy Suites had a dining option. That makes it a candidate for the OP. Quite frankly I'm more worried about the OP understanding the logistics of getting from baggage claim to the "free" hotel shuttles on the Airtrain if she has a walker. When I traveled with my mobility impaired mother, I never attempted to take her and all the cruise luggage on the Airtrain. Rather than fool around with shuttle buses and the Airtrain, the OP might want to consider private transportation options.

Thank you 138East and sddsddean for your quick replies and GREAT information. And your concern about the free shuttle - I can guarantee you that I won't be doing that. We like to travel and unfortunately I feel 3 years ago and broke my hip, hip socket and shattered my entire left pelvis. So I am ever so grateful to the wonderful surgeon that I can walk - it just takes more planning these days! And we factor in to the costs taxi fares, etc - and in order to go and enjoy it is worth it!!

First, I've booked a room at the Embassy Suites and it was actually less expensive than Country Inn to my surprise. And we will definitely just take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and then to the cruise port. I really cannot thank you enough for this information - it made this choice so much easier and eliminated most of my concerns about the free shuttle. I had read the directions earlier and thought oh my.

Now I am SO EXCITED to be going back to my favorite places for lobster. Living near the Canadian border and near Vancouver Canada is wonderful but nothing beats Maine Lobster!

Again, thank you both for the information and helping to make this trip so much easier! Mary

We are arriving on 11/2 for the 11/3 Anthem departure. DH and I are flying into EWR, arriving approximately 11:40 a.m. I think we will just relax for the afternoon and grab some dinner, so I am looking at the hotels that are near the restaurants/mall/movies.

The best rate I am currently getting is a prepaid at Country Inn and Suites that is $154.23 all in. When I add in approximately $35 for an Uber, that puts me at $189, including breakfast and transportation.

Does this seem like a good rate for a Friday, or should I wait? It is at least $35 cheaper than Embassy Suites, $40 cheaper than Courtyard and $60 cheaper than Residence Inn. I hate to prepay and then rates come down closer to the date, but I have also seen rates jump.

Any ideas?

I will be driving to Cape Liberty from central CT & parking at the terminal next week. We haven't been to Cape Liberty since April, 2016... has anything changed that I should know about? Do they still have employees with iPads hanging around various places to check you in?

Am I correct in thinking we need to be checked in by 90 minutes prior to sail away?

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are arriving on 11/2 for the 11/3 Anthem departure. DH and I are flying into EWR, arriving approximately 11:40 a.m. I think we will just relax for the afternoon and grab some dinner, so I am looking at the hotels that are near the restaurants/mall/movies.

The best rate I am currently getting is a prepaid at Country Inn and Suites that is $154.23 all in. When I add in approximately $35 for an Uber, that puts me at $189, including breakfast and transportation.

Does this seem like a good rate for a Friday, or should I wait? It is at least $35 cheaper than Embassy Suites, $40 cheaper than Courtyard and $60 cheaper than Residence Inn. I hate to prepay and then rates come down closer to the date, but I have also seen rates jump.

Any ideas?

I'm seeing Country Inns on Lastminutetravel.com on 11/2 for $87 plus tax cancellable until 10/30/18

I will be driving to Cape Liberty from central CT & parking at the terminal next week. We haven't been to Cape Liberty since April, 2016... has anything changed that I should know about? Do they still have employees with iPads hanging around various places to check you in?

Am I correct in thinking we need to be checked in by 90 minutes prior to sail away?

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Employees with iPads were there in the terminal in Feb. you need to be there 90 minutes ahead.

I'm seeing Country Inns on Lastminutetravel.com on 11/2 for $87 plus tax cancellable until 10/30/18

Thanks, when I put in EWR, it didn't come up, so I searched for Elizabeth, NJ.

It was $93 for me, but that was still a good deal. I went ahead and booked since it is cancellable.

Thanks again,

Beverly

Thanks, when I put in EWR, it didn't come up, so I searched for Elizabeth, NJ.

It was $93 for me, but that was still a good deal. I went ahead and booked since it is cancellable.

Thanks again,

Beverly

It is a good deal. I used lastminutetravel two years ago for Country Inns. I was going to drive down from Boston the morning of a 3 day March Anthem sampler cruise and some snow was predicted, so I booked "last minute" and drove to Country Inns the night before. When I come next Feb by train, I've booked through LMT to get a great deal at the Residence Inn in Jersey City, which is on the PATH Line from both NYC and Newark.

The closest parking areas outside the port that we recommend are at Newark Airport and are primarily Park or fly/sleep/cruise options. You can get lots of airport parking, but the cost of round trip transportation to Cape Liberty will offset any savings. $20/day is very reasonable for convenient and secured parking at the port.

There is an offsite lot in Bayonne that is not recommended due to concerns about its overall security and insurance coverage(or lack thereof) for its shuttle operation. For me it's a "ditch and hitch" operation - ditch your car at a storage warehouse in Bayonne NJ and hitch a ride with a random stranger in a random vehicle to Cape Liberty.

We live about 2 hours north of the port. So, we'd be driving in the morning of the cruise and parking for the cruise duration. I thought I saw someplace nearby that was about $15 per day. If right at the port is $20, that's a $35-$40 difference for the week but probably worth it for the security and convenience.

We live about 2 hours north of the port. So, we'd be driving in the morning of the cruise and parking for the cruise duration. I thought I saw someplace nearby that was about $15 per day. If right at the port is $20, that's a $35-$40 difference for the week but probably worth it for the security and convenience.

I think parking at the port is worth it if you live so close. You can self disembark, pay for the parking at the machine, hop in your car, and be home in 2 hours. I think the convenience and port security is worth it for $35-40. Others might not think so, so all I can say is "caveat emptor" about the other parking.

This is just the type of post i was looking for. We are booked on Anthem (11/25/2018 11 nt sailing to Caribbean), when we last sailed on her in 2016 we stayed at the Comfort Inn Staten Island the night before and parked our car there for the 9 nights we were gone without charge or issue. I am hearing they no longer offer that at the Comfort Inn. Does anyone know of a hotel still doing the Cruise & Park or whatever the precise term is? I found Best Western Plus Newark Airport West which offers parking at $8 per day, much better than $20 at the port and most other hotels listed $17 a day. But if there was one offering the option for free that would be great as it's an added expense when didn't think we would have

Thanks in advance for any help. I have Googled it but not been completely successful

This is just the type of post i was looking for. We are booked on Anthem (11/25/2018 11 nt sailing to Caribbean), when we last sailed on her in 2016 we stayed at the Comfort Inn Staten Island the night before and parked our car there for the 9 nights we were gone without charge or issue. I am hearing they no longer offer that at the Comfort Inn. Does anyone know of a hotel still doing the Cruise & Park or whatever the precise term is? I found Best Western Plus Newark Airport West which offers parking at $8 per day, much better than $20 at the port and most other hotels listed $17 a day. But if there was one offering the option for free that would be great as it's an added expense when didn't think we would have

Thanks in advance for any help. I have Googled it but not been completely successful

Are you looking for just parking(you pay to get to and from the port) or are you looking for a precruise hotel night, parking for 11 days, and round trip port transportation package?

Trinityreservations.com offers the Ramada hotel, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation for 2 for $211 TAX INCLUDED for 11/24/18. Many cruisers use this deal. I have personally used it and was very happy.

Carol (138east) has given you sound advice about booking the Ramada through Trinity Reservations if you're looking for a park/sleep/cruise package that include transportation to and from the port.

If that's not what you want, whatever you do, steer clear of the Best Western Plus Newark Airport West. There's a reason they only charge $8 per day for parking. The hotel is in a really bad area...here's a quote from oyster.com, and it isn't even negative enough in my opinion. I wouldn't park my car there for 11 minutes, much less 11 days :

"A desolate location close to Newark Liberty International Airport, adjacent to an off-site airport parking lot and a trucking facility"