Luggage tags

picture

Do you get actual luggage tags mailed to you prior to departure?

or do you have to wait till you get to the pier and write them out and

place on your luggage??

thanks have never sailed Hal before. I know with Celebrity closer to departure and once you get your on line boarding pass you can request

luggage tags to be mailed to you.

HAL no longer sends out anything -- no documents and no luggage tags.

You can print them out from HAL's site -- just log into HAL -- then go to "Online Check-in" -- there is a place there where you can click onto and print out as many luggage tags as you need.

OR -- you wait until you get to the pier and get them from the porters there and fill them out then.

When you do your on line registration, there is a place to print the paper luggage tags. There is also a place to order the Mariner luggage tags. I think they're 4 for $10. I know OP said they've never sailed HAL, but for anyone who has, this is handy information.

When you do your on line registration, there is a place to print the paper luggage tags. There is also a place to order the Mariner luggage tags. I think they're 4 for $10. I know OP said they've never sailed HAL, but for anyone who has, this is handy information.

Could you please reference where to locate the place to order the Mariner luggage tags? I am unable to locate it anywhere on the HAL website. :confused: Or is it somewhere else?

Could you please reference where to locate the place to order the Mariner luggage tags? I am unable to locate it anywhere on the HAL website. :confused: Or is it somewhere else?

Go to the Hal Website.

Go to Before you go.

Go to online check in

At the end of the check in, or if you've already printed your bording pass, underneath your completed info, it says, :

print luggage tags

and to the left it says order luggage tags..that's where you buy them

Hope that helped.

The only time I've seen the option to order Mariner luggage tags is when I've had an active booking. Since we've done our cruising for this year and next year's cruise is on another line I don't have access to those pages. It might be available someplace else but it's not readily visible if it is or I'm looking in the wrong places.

Go to the Hal Website.

Go to Before you go.

Go to online check in

At the end of the check in, or if you've already printed your bording pass, underneath your completed info, it says, :

print luggage tags

and to the left it says order luggage tags..that's where you buy them

Hope that helped.

You do need an active booking since that's where the option is.

Thank you very much for the information. :) I do not, as yet, have an active booking, but I will keep this in mind when I do. :)

OP: these Mariner tags that are being mentioned are just empty tag holders - you still need to print the paper tags to trim and insert into the holders. The "Historical Poster" holders are 4/$9.95 and you can also get more traditional looking holders with the Holland America name and logo at 2/$6.95.

G.N. - try this link ... you may be able to order them without an active booking. (I can't tell because I have a current booking.)

https://shops3.directedje.com/HALstore/product-listing.asp?CID=664

Or maybe this one:

https://shops3.directedje.com/HALstore/catalog.asp and then choose "Historical"

The links work and thanks for posting. We have no HAL cruise booked at the moment but I have several in my hope chest.

I plan to buy a set of the historical tags and keep my SD card with originals and photoshopped pictures of each trip in the sleeve section. Maybe will put a copy of all video once editing done on a card and store there too.

~TC

I didn't go through all the "check out" but it appears to work! :)
I tried going through the "check out" right to the entering of credit card info and nothing stopped me. There was a "comment" box where it asked for the date of my cruise, but didn't object to my leaving it blank.

I'm a little confused. So if I print the paper luggage tags and I suppose to tape them on the luggage?? In the past (not with Hal never sailed it before) I would get luggage tags that you peel and they are very strong do not tear and then you put those on your luggage. With the paper tags how do you prevent them from tearing I just want to make sure my luggage gets to my cabin.

thanks.

I'm a little confused. So if I print the paper luggage tags and I suppose to tape them on the luggage?? In the past (not with Hal never sailed it before) I would get luggage tags that you peel and they are very strong do not tear and then you put those on your luggage. With the paper tags how do you prevent them from tearing I just want to make sure my luggage gets to my cabin.

thanks.

some people get them professionally laminated. some cover the tags with clear wrapping tape - kind a diy laminate. myself, i wait until i get to the pier and get some tags from the people that take your luggage (their tags are sturdy).

thanks.

The instructions they give show you how to fold them length-wise into thirds, and then fold that long strip in half and staple around the bag handle. I put a blank sheet behind before folding, which makes them 6-ply at the last fold.

Instead of stapling, I punch holes and use either a plastic cable-tie or a wire garbage-bag tie to fasten them to the handle. By doing this I don't have to get a stapler at the dock or at the pre-cruise hotel.

Some people go so far as to use heavy photo stock or laminate them. I just put two on each bag ... and have never lost one of them before they reached the room.

And worst case, as long as you have your name on another bag tag, eventually they will get to you! :)

If you want to wait until you get to the pier, here is the kind that they will quickly attach, about as fast as at the airport check-in:

2736387140099632937S200x200Q85.jpg

some people get them professionally laminated. some cover the tags with clear wrapping tape - kind a diy laminate. myself, i wait until i get to the pier and get some tags from the people that take your luggage (their tags are sturdy).

The wrapping with tape works quite well. If you are not using HAL's air, then you don't need to attach the tags until you are near the pier (your hotel, whatever). We tend to print ours on the thicker paper - silly, but we feel better. No worries - they work :)

Some people enjoy the arts and crafts project of making their own luggage tags, but it certainly is not necessary.

For those who don't have the time, or simply don't want to be bothered, it is quick and easy to get them at the pier. It takes us less than a minute to print our cabin number on 4 tags and attach them.

Sometimes a porter will come over and starts tagging the bags immediately as soon as your car or van pulls up at the pier.

Whenever a porter fills out the tags for us, I always check to be sure the cabin number on the tags is correct before letting them take the bags away. (They have never gotten it wrong yet.)

Yeah,

Just printed the luggage tags. 2 each for six of us..... and a few extra for things like case of wine. I know some will say why we wasted the money and bought the HAL souvenir luggage tag holders, but for some of the kids going with us this may be the last big 'family' vacation. Nice momentos....

June 11, Boston to Montreal (maybe) is getting pretty close!!!!

Dennis

btw we did do the laminate thing for the Med last year. Worked fine.

thanks for the information . I might just wait and get the peir tags.

The instructions they give show you how to fold them length-wise into thirds, and then fold that long strip in half and staple around the bag handle. I put a blank sheet behind before folding, which makes them 6-ply at the last fold.

Instead of stapling, I punch holes and use either a plastic cable-tie or a wire garbage-bag tie to fasten them to the handle. By doing this I don't have to get a stapler at the dock or at the pre-cruise hotel.

Some people go so far as to use heavy photo stock or laminate them. I just put two on each bag ... and have never lost one of them before they reached the room.

And worst case, as long as you have your name on another bag tag, eventually they will get to you! :)

If you want to wait until you get to the pier, here is the kind that they will quickly attach, about as fast as at the airport check-in:

.....If you want to wait until you get to the pier, here is the kind that they will quickly attach, about as fast as at the airport check-in:

We actually find it to be much faster than airport check-in because at that point there is no swiping a card or punching anything into a computer. There is also no waiting for anything to be printed out because they don't even give you a claim stub as proof that you ever gave them the bag, the way they do at airports.

That is one thing I wish they would do!

You (or the porters) simply slap the tags on your bags, the porters take them, along with all the other bags that are being checked in for the cruise, and you continue on your merry way.

The styles of the luggage tags we received were different at different ports, but all were sturdy, easy to attach, and we have never had a problem with any of them.

We print out the luggage tags. It's no big deal to fold them and staple them onto the luggage handle at the hotel or when we collect them at the airport - whichever is closer time to boarding. Never had a problem.

I guess Holland was trying to get us back on board. They sent us the Historical Poster tags the Christmas before last.
We got them free too. Before the tags were offered for sale there was an issue of Mariner magazine which included them. It was sent to "selected" Mariners, mainly 3-star and 4-star, but some others that had a cruise booked at the time.

I sure miss the good ole days of mailed luggage tags.

Now I used excessive amouts of clear tape on these printed ones . The only way to get them off now is to cut them off.

I sure miss the good ole days of mailed luggage tags.

Now I used excessive amouts of clear tape on these printed ones . The only way to get them off now is to cut them off.

I print them on cardstock fold and glue them and punch a hole and then spray them with a clear acrylic (Krylon) a couple of times. Put a bag tie, or unbreakable cord, etc through the hole and tie it on.

The spray makes it waterproof and they are easy to get off. I still have my last ones in my photo album. They are even more sturdier than the old Hal ones. Also only took a few min. to do.

Helen :)

Archived