Waterslides for oasis and Allure

Michael Bayley has announced that they will retrofit oasis and Allure with waterslides.

http://www.ttgdigital.com/news/water-slides-coming-to-royals-oasis-class-ships/4696005.article

Royal Caribbean’s Oasis-class ships are likely to have water slides added to them, the line’s new boss has revealed.

The company had already announced that Harmony of the Seas, which is due for delivery in mid-2016 would have several water slides. However, Michael Bayley told TTG that they were also likely to be fitted on Oasis and Allure of the Seas.

“I’d like to bring water slides to the Oasis-class - on Allure and Oasis as well, all four ships [a fourth ship is due for delivery in 2018].”

Rival lines Norwegian Cruise Line and Carnival Cruise Lines have both featured water slides on their ships, but Harmony of the Seas will be the first Royal Caribbean ship to include such an addition.

Bayley also hinted the slides could be introduced on to Quantum-class ships: “We haven’t asked the question with our design team yet about how we would put them onboard, but if we could then we would.”

He was also quizzed by TTG as to whether he believed the UK would ever be home to an Oasis-class ship.

“When we built the first Voyager-class ship, we never thought we could move it out of the US because they were so big, so I learned to assume that questions about having ships like Oasis in the UK could be a yes - things just continue to evolve.”

Asked what kind of innovative addition he would like to see on a Royal Caribbean ship, Bayley revealed an unusual ambition: “I’m not saying we’re doing this,” he warned first, before adding: “But I’d like to see something like a ski slope [in a ski dome] like they have in Dubai. You could ski from the ship into the sea, and create a lagoon for people to ski into.”

Bayley was keen to stress how important the trade remained to the line. “Agents are everything for us. They are partners - we work hard to help them and expect their full support. We’re not fair weather friends - we’ve always committed ourselves to the travel agent community.”

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Michael Bayley has announced that they will retrofit oasis and Allure with waterslides.

http://www.ttgdigital.com/news/water-slides-coming-to-royals-oasis-class-ships/4696005.article

Royal Caribbean’s Oasis-class ships are likely to have water slides added to them, the line’s new boss has revealed.

The company had already announced that Harmony of the Seas, which is due for delivery in mid-2016 would have several water slides. However, Michael Bayley told TTG that they were also likely to be fitted on Oasis and Allure of the Seas.

“I’d like to bring water slides to the Oasis-class - on Allure and Oasis as well, all four ships [a fourth ship is due for delivery in 2018].”

Rival lines Norwegian Cruise Line and Carnival Cruise Lines have both featured water slides on their ships, but Harmony of the Seas will be the first Royal Caribbean ship to include such an addition.

Bayley also hinted the slides could be introduced on to Quantum-class ships: “We haven’t asked the question with our design team yet about how we would put them onboard, but if we could then we would.”

He was also quizzed by TTG as to whether he believed the UK would ever be home to an Oasis-class ship.

“When we built the first Voyager-class ship, we never thought we could move it out of the US because they were so big, so I learned to assume that questions about having ships like Oasis in the UK could be a yes - things just continue to evolve.”

Asked what kind of innovative addition he would like to see on a Royal Caribbean ship, Bayley revealed an unusual ambition: “I’m not saying we’re doing this,” he warned first, before adding: “But I’d like to see something like a ski slope [in a ski dome] like they have in Dubai. You could ski from the ship into the sea, and create a lagoon for people to ski into.”

Bayley was keen to stress how important the trade remained to the line. “Agents are everything for us. They are partners - we work hard to help them and expect their full support. We’re not fair weather friends - we’ve always committed ourselves to the travel agent community.”

Thanks for posting Ken.

I am going crazy, I actually saw this posted earlier today by someone, opened the link and emailed to DH. Do you think I can find the thread it was mentioned on to show him where it was being discussed:rolleyes:

At least I found this one:D

Thanks for posting Ken.

I am going crazy, I actually saw this posted earlier today by someone, opened the link and emailed to DH. Do you think I can find the thread it was mentioned on to show him where it was being discussed:rolleyes:

At least I found this one:D

I had posted on the earlier thread but there was a link to a site that we are not allowed to post. Not sure how long the thread was up so I wanted to repost with proper links so that others could see.

I know my kids are excited how about Abigail.

I had posted on the earlier thread but there was a link to a site that we are not allowed to post. Not sure how long the thread was up so I wanted to repost with proper links so that others could see.

I know my kids are excited how about Abigail.

Thanks,

I didn't think I was going that crazy quite yet!!!!!

As of yet I have just told the other half! I need her to finish her homework before I tell her or she will end up researching all night;) I really hope it is done in dry dock and we are not disappointed by not having for next year.

I am excited, they look cool:D

I like that they are going to add the slides, I guess dry docks in the future for both to do it.

My own feeling and I have nothing to back this up but I think it will be added to Allure during her drydock next month hence the announcement by Bayley.

As for Oasis, they could most likely add it without a drydock. A lot of the work could be done ahead of time during the regular sailings with only closing down a small area of the pool deck. The pieces of the slide could be added by crane. Most likely necessary to plan a stop or 2 at Freeport as opposed to Nassau to do this.

If these are added to Allures Dry Dock (which is next week) that would be fantastic. Likely not to happen though.

Don't know how these things work in the cruise line, but that's my gut feel too. The announcement seems too soon, and you think there would be advertisements (including the RCL website) if it was being added that soon.

But until we know for sure, one can hope.

I don't think they'll add them to Allure in dry dock simply because it would steal the thunder from Harmony being the first to get them.

They announced the virtual balconies as a new feature for Quantum and then installed them first on Navigator during its revitalization, so it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that they'd do the same with the slides.

Like with other new features on new ships, Royal always seems to want to cram them in on every other ship as soon as possible, whether it makes sense to do so or not.

Edited by mattwright

They announced the virtual balconies as a new feature for Quantum and then installed them first on Navigator during its revitalization, so it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that they'd do the same with the slides.

Like with other new features on new ships, Royal always seems to want to cram them in on every other ship as soon as possible, whether it makes sense to do so or not.

Good point, I had forgotten about that! In this case I think it absolutely makes sense to add them to Allure. I guess we'll know soon enough!

I don't think they'll add them to Allure in dry dock simply because it would steal the thunder from Harmony being the first to get them.

I suspect the decision regarding Allure (in dry dock very soon) will be made based on cost and resources, not any form of publicity. We'll know soon enough.

I don't know....they added the virtual balconies to Navigator before Quantum sailed and that was one of the big innovations for Quantum - a first for RCI.

I don't think it was originally planned for Navigator but was added at the last minute. But then the virtual balconies were probably a lot easier to add at the last minute than those huge water slides would be.

We are going on a B2B on Allure in February and the kids would love to see the water slides so I'm hoping they're added.

Edited to add: Sometimes I should keep reading before I post - I just repeated what mattwright said. oops :o

Edited by The Sunset Glow

Given the fact that they announced this a few weeks before Allure's dry dock, combined with the "test market" of the screens in Navigator before Q, I'd say it's a go. If the engineering is already done for Harmony, there is no reason, short of enough time to get the pieces made and installed, that they wouldn't go for it.

Have they already delivered the pieces for Harmony's slides? If so, they could've just manufacturered 2 sets and one is tagged for Allure. Would make sense given the timing of the drydock along with the announcement.

Silly question but wouldn't adding a water slide take a huge effort? Not only would you need all the parts, but the perfect engineering so that it is installed safely.

Whenever they do install it, where on the ship would it go? (I haven't looked closely enough at the Harmony to see the placement.

Just because they announced it today/yesterday doesn't mean they haven't been planning it for months. Nothing about Allures dry dock has been announced except it will be "similar" to Oasis and will have coastal kitchen. It's perfectly possible they will announce it and roll a mid summer campaign targeted in the UK regarding the slides for people to fill up the Europe dates.