Air New Zealand premium economy Spaceseat being abandoned

Globaliser

2helxzq.jpg [Clicky.]

Long-standing readers may remember that Air New Zealand's unconventional-looking premium economy Spaceseat was announced in 2010 and introduced into service in 2011 on the 777-300ER aircraft that were then being newly-delivered. And that within a few months, passenger feedback was so bad that the premium economy cabin had to undergo an emergency reconfiguration that took out an entire row of seats, reduced capacity in that cabin by 12% and almost certainly wrecked the economics of the cabin. (See for example Air NZ SkyCouch in economy between NZ & LA and Which airline do you recommend/why -- Virgin Australia VS Air New Zealand.) And that when the airline's 777-200ERs later started to be refurbished, the airline chose not to put the Spaceseat into those aircraft.

The airline has finally bowed to the inevitable. The Spaceseat is being removed and the new (and more conventional) premium economy seat which has been put into the 777-200ERs will be installed in its place. The reconfiguration is planned to start in February 2017 and to be complete by November 2017.

reduced capacity in that cabin by 12% and almost certainly wrecked the economics of the cabin.
Alaska and Click: Would you be willing to pay that additional 12% to make it viable?

Also, the passenger reaction was predominantly negative. So even if some passengers liked it, the overall market response was against it. So that would call for the price premium to be even higher than 12% due to market forces sending people to other carriers.

I would also suspect that NZ was more responsive to the opinions of those who more often flew their airline than those who would do it once in a blue moon.

But then, it's only economics.

FlyerTalker, yes, I would pay the extra 12%. Any time I have to spend 12 hours in an airplane it is nice to be able to sleep 8 of them away. I still don't by the customer response reason. My gut says it is more about getting those extra seats filled. I read a lot about their Skycouch seats and those got really panned by flyers over 5 feet tall but that stays so it does not make sense to me but like you said, I am an occasional on that route and I don't expect them to listen to me. i have something like 800,000 miles on UA and they don't listen to me either......and now UA and ANZ are closer partners...

Would you be willing to pay that additional 12% to make it viable?
FlyerTalker, yes, I would pay the extra 12%.
... & yes, I'm willing to pay more for them
Actually, with a 12% reduction in capacity, fares would need to go up by closer to 14% to maintain revenue!

It is easy to say I'll pay another 12% or 14%. But people often react differently when presented with a cash figure. Would you pay an extra $350 to fly this cabin rather than a competitor's premium economy? If you're already paying $2,500 and you're getting a really good premium economy product anyway for the lower price, many people will simply choose to save that $350. That's why it doesn't work.

United and Air New Zealand are both in the Star Alliance and last year they announced more code share/partner fights and United added some flights from the west coast to Auckland. When Continental and United merged Continental's CEO Jeff Smisek was put in charge and pretty much destroyed any real customer service and customer relations with his cut backs. Lots of folks left for other airlines, Smisek got fired for trying to bribe officials of the NY/NJ Port Authority and his replacement has started a campaign to regain the lost customers...so seeing cut backs at ANZ scares me and makes me thankful I got to enjoy their SpaceSeats and great service last year.

6rugrats;

I saw your post about Delta and had been thinking the same thing! LOL!

Most recent thread is entitled "my 4 last flights on Delta!"

I have flown ANZ, in those Space Seats, and thought they were great. Guess I won't get to again!

I can only say I'm glad to see a thread about an airline other than DL.

Thought this was turning into the "Cruise Air Delta" forum.

6rugrats;

I saw your post about Delta and had been thinking the same thing! LOL!

Most recent thread is entitled "my 4 last flights on Delta!"

I'm now in the throes of looking at some bits and pieces for a possible cruise next year. Ironically, having started this thread, the flight that I have yet to book would of course have to be on ... :)

• 3 weeks later...

We were on NZ a year ago AKL to SFO in their traditional (if that's what you call them) premium economy seats. They were roomy and very comfortable and while not lie-flat, I still had the best sleep on a plane ever. The service was wonderful. I wouldn't hesitate to choose them again without the space seat. Sure beat United's economy plus for 15.5 hours LAX to MEL on the way over for not much more $.