Buying Artwork

lbfluffy

About ten years ago we went crazy and bought a ton of artwork, all unframed. We framed about 4 pieces at the time because that is all we could afford. Now that we repainted our house we decided to frame the 7 other pieces. Several had to be custom frames, but we were able to get some frames off the rack. We certainly went crazy that cruise. We have never set foot in an auction since. Lesson learned, buy framed art if you buy. I love our art, and we did get great deals, but the frames are the big expense. Luckily not all had to be customed framed, plus I get to use the 40 percent coupon off one regularly priced item. The sales lady said to stagger our purchases to use the coupon every time. My husband can do one transaction and I'll do another.

Great advice, thanks. We too know that framing is a big expense. I suppose if you're purchasing very high-end art, the frame becomes a minor part of your overall cost. Not usually the case for us though.

While we've recently considered buying art on the ships, no piece has spoken to us enough to make us commit to a purchase. However, some have come close and we've had to think about the framing issue. We considered where the piece would be displayed and what kind of frame would complement both the piece and the location in which it would be displayed. If you know this, getting a frame with purchase is probably a good value. If you aren't sure, it might be wiser to put off purchasing a frame and wait until you decide on how it will be displayed, regardless of the cost.

When it comes to onboard art auctions you can find lots of differing opinions. But one should go into the auctions with some knowledge of issues related to cruise ship art auctions and more specifically Park West. Rather they offer my own opinion we think it is best to just post a couple of links:

http://travel-golf.org/t_cruise_art_auctions_scam_fraud.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/16/arts/design/16crui.html?_r=0

If you want more info just Google "Park West Scam" and do some reading.

Hank

When it comes to onboard art auctions you can find lots of differing opinions. But one should go into the auctions with some knowledge of issues related to cruise ship art auctions and more specifically Park West. Rather they offer my own opinion we think it is best to just post a couple of links:

http://travel-golf.org/t_cruise_art_auctions_scam_fraud.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/16/arts/design/16crui.html?_r=0

If you want more info just Google "Park West Scam" and do some reading.

Hank

May probably just have to stay away from onboard auctions. Thanks.

The last cruise we were on I saw a piece of art with a golden retriever in it titled Rainbow Bridge, representing when our dogs leave us. I fell in love with it, but the logical side of me knew I couldn't make another error. At that time I still had my unframed art in tubes.

The last cruise we were on I saw a piece of art with a golden retriever in it titled Rainbow Bridge, representing when our dogs leave us. I fell in love with it, but the logical side of me knew I couldn't make another error. At that time I still had my unframed art in tubes.

Seems to me that they have had that print on every Princess ship that we have been on.

Having spent 40 years as a retail custom framer I should just keep my mouth shut but I've never been smart.

You get what you pay for. There are some talented folks in every town that will give you a great product with value. I average time spent between discussing with my client and producing their finished frame about 4 hours. Have a Plummer or electrician spend 1/2 a day at your house and see what they charge.

A few years ago about 100 framers from around the country got quotes from other local shops and the big box framers with the 50% 60% or more off coupon. There was about 5% difference in the bottom out the door price.

I know you don't know me but there is a huge difference in quality between shops. A few big boxes might be good but for the most part check out other options.

The prices charged on the ship for the frames are fine for what you get but make sure it includes shipping which is getting expensive.

It also costs the same to frame an expensive piece of art as a cheap poster if being framed the same way.

Bottom line, shop around and ask questions and investigate your frame shop before you buy.

Good Luck on your art bidding...

framer

Why bid against others or lighting fixtures (see article linked above) for something that is not one-of-a-kind!?

Many of these prints, posters, and giclées are made in large quantities and are available online and in brick & mortar stores all over the world.

If something was truly museum quality, do you really think it would be sitting on a mass-market cruise ship?

I once saw some art on board that I really liked, I wrote down the artist's name and ended up buying large canvas originals from him for slightly more than the price they wanted for small paper prints on board.

The artist explained to me that the auction house bought tons of prints from him at a highly discounted price and that he would never do business with them again.

I don't know about you, but I don't like paying 10x the price for anything, much less art.

Why bid against others or lighting fixtures (see article linked above) for something that is not one-of-a-kind!?

Many of these prints, posters, and giclées are made in large quantities and are available online and in brick & mortar stores all over the world.

If something was truly museum quality, do you really think it would be sitting on a mass-market cruise ship?

I once saw some art on board that I really liked, I wrote down the artist's name and ended up buying large canvas originals from him for slightly more than the price they wanted for small paper prints on board.

The artist explained to me that the auction house bought tons of prints from him at a highly discounted price and that he would never do business with them again.

I don't know about you, but I don't like paying 10x the price for anything, much less art.

In the art gallery industry, it's called dime art...

I didn't want to say it but you are 100% right.

framer

Great advice, thanks. We too know that framing is a big expense. I suppose if you're purchasing very high-end art, the frame becomes a minor part of your overall cost. Not usually the case for us though.

While we've recently considered buying art on the ships, no piece has spoken to us enough to make us commit to a purchase. However, some have come close and we've had to think about the framing issue. We considered where the piece would be displayed and what kind of frame would complement both the piece and the location in which it would be displayed. If you know this, getting a frame with purchase is probably a good value. If you aren't sure, it might be wiser to put off purchasing a frame and wait until you decide on how it will be displayed, regardless of the cost.

DO NOT buy artwork on cruise ships!!! It's crap & has virtually NO true value whatsoever!

I work in the arts. It is physically painful for me to be within ear or eyeshot of the auction. I think it is preciously close to a predatory scam complete with high pressure sales techniques. I am not a fan of most of the work they sell BUT that's not the point. If you like anything, note the artist's name and title of work and buy it anywhere but the ship!

Or, better yet, visit an art gallery in your hometown and support an artist in your own backyard. My two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When Global Fine Arts was still in business, we purchased a couple of original oil paintings. We've had them appraised and are quite satisfied with our investment. I'm not sure that I'd buy anything from Park West since it all seems like prints, very few originals.

If you Google "Rainbow Bridge" painting, you will see several different ones to choose from and you can then check out pricing on land.

Unless it is dogs playing poker.

Or a nice elvis on velvet.

You have no idea how many paid me real money to frame those prints:eek:

It gets even worse when some one want an old faded, "Dogs Playing Poker", print framed or reframed, seriously no joke.

framer

Seems to me that they have had that print on every Princess ship that we have been on.

We are certainly not art experts....but full time skeptics about the "value" put on art work by galleries. And when it comes to Park West one needs to be very cautious and know what they are doing....or they might really be overpaying (in a big time way).

These days there is just a lot of different ways to make copies, and while they might look great the value can range from valuable to nearly worthless. So we suggest folks learn some terms (seldom mentioned by an art auctioneer on ships) which is Giclée. Try asking a Park West employee about that term :).

Hank

We would not even buy a postcard from Park West.

I agree. Ask them about their wonderful Giclee works....or should I say digital prints. You will not hear them called the latter by any of the so call art experts on board. My sister has some expertise in the field. She attended an auction. Her comment to me was that the auction folks did not know art, their speils were rote, some of their claims were more than simply incorrect, but that all in all there was some entertainment value for those that sat on their hands.

Don't bother going for the free bubbly. It is awful. Better to sit at the bar and buy yourself a ginger ale or sprite.

There is clearly a lot of revenue and profit in the for the auction firms and for the cruise lines since they seem to have them on virtually every cruise that we have been on. That in itself speaks volumes to me.

Edited by iancal

There was a time when I went a little bit overboard at the art auctions. The result is that I am now the proud owner of 4 tubes full of pieces I don't remember, as I have never framed them and hung them. I haven't even looked at them years. After a while, my philosophy changed and now if I liked a piece enough to buy it, I have Park West frame it. Their frames are quite nice and they come ready to hang. One large piece did arrive with a damaged frame, and it was replaced quickly and without issue.

There was a time when I went a little bit overboard at the art auctions. The result is that I am now the proud owner of 4 tubes full of pieces I don't remember, as I have never framed them and hung them. I haven't even looked at them years. After a while, my philosophy changed and now if I liked a piece enough to buy it, I have Park West frame it. Their frames are quite nice and they come ready to hang. One large piece did arrive with a damaged frame, and it was replaced quickly and without issue.

One good thing about Park West is that if your art work was damaged they probably have a few hundred more copies :). We have spotted some decent "Originals" on a few cruises, but these were only auctioned with a "Reserve" price which means that these decent pieces are often not sold at all....and simply go from cruise to cruise until some passenger is willing to pay the big bucks. We have seen some works (Seriographs or Lithographs) that caught our interest...but then we simply wait until we are home and decide if we really NEED that piece. If so, a quick internet search will generally find the same work at a lower price.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We would not even buy a postcard from Park West.

I agree. Ask them about their wonderful Giclee works....or should I say digital prints. You will not hear them called the latter by any of the so call art experts on board. My sister has some expertise in the field. She attended an auction. Her comment to me was that the auction folks did not know art, their speils were rote, some of their claims were more than simply incorrect, but that all in all there was some entertainment value for those that sat on their hands.

Don't bother going for the free bubbly. It is awful. Better to sit at the bar and buy yourself a ginger ale or sprite.

There is clearly a lot of revenue and profit in the for the auction firms and for the cruise lines since they seem to have them on virtually every cruise that we have been on. That in itself speaks volumes to me.

We were walking by one auction when an announcement said "let's hear it for Mr. X who has purchased $28,500 of fine art. To celebrate, we will give him a free bottle of sparkling wine (fake Champagne)."

Never, ever go to an art auction on board....but if you are considering it...look up terms like "chandelier bid", "buyer premium" "shipping" and "refund policy" and "park west class action lawsuits". If you want to buy something onboard to remember your trip....get a coffee mug or refrigerator magnet. It is a better value, and probably of better quality.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/09/27/guide-to-cruise-ship-art-auctions.html

On my first cruise, like most pollywogs, we went to the art auction to 'check it out' and for the free 'champagne' (carbonated turpentine). All I could think was - this auctioneer could sell snake oil to a used car dealer. I haven't been to one since.

I have never understood why anyone would wish to purchase a piece of art whilst on board a cruise . No matter where we all live there surely has to be better access and range of choice in your local art dealers or big towns to allow a much wider choice of pieces.

Scotslizzy