Non-Refundable Deposit

What do you think about RCL new non-refundable deposit?

Not a fan. Unless you know for sure you are going to travel you will eventually loose that deposit. I guess RCL's ploy was to get travelers to book a lot of cruises with the refundable deposit, assuming people would eventually cruise and the company would have a cash account with extra $$$$$ in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked my future cruises (12) against yesterday's price.

The average savings of taking a nonrefundable deposit vs taking yesterday's refundable is $21.63. Balconies and JSs.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Yes I was curious - you don't have to book the non refundable deposit right? You can still book with the refundable one?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, but was looking this morning at prices for a cruise I booked a couple of days ago. If I choose nonrefundable, the price goes down from what I booked, if I choose refundable, the price goes up about the same amount ( ~$300). Since I am a year out, I am glad I booked before the change. A lot can happen in a year's time!

One question I have is do you lose the whole deposit ($900 in this case) or just $100?

I just did a price check on 7 of our future cruises which are all in a JS. On every on of them there was only a option to choose the non-refundable price for the JS. The interior, oceanview, and balcony cabins all allowed you to choose either refundable or non-refundable pricing. It's looking to me like the suite category is only offering a non-refundable deposit, at least for the 7 cruises that I checked.

I just did a price check on 7 of our future cruises which are all in a JS. On every on of them there was only a option to choose the non-refundable price for the JS. The interior, oceanview, and balcony cabins all allowed you to choose either refundable or non-refundable pricing. It's looking to me like the suite category is only offering a non-refundable deposit, at least for the 7 cruises that I checked.

That was my experience, as I was looking at JS also. I also noticed they were calling a panoramic OV a suite on Adventure.

Out of 8 cruises, only 1 was lower for the NRD than what I currently have them booked at refundable rates and that one was already an NRD booking that I converted last month to experiment with.

With the roll out today, the base rate went down another $91 p/p. It is supposed to default to the best rate automatically. Logged into my cruise and as you would expect, no price change. I had to call C&A to get the rate applied. C&A said they did not know why the price did not adjust automatically as it should have.

So if you have an NRD, I guess you still have to check the prices for now until their IT department straightens it out. :rolleyes:

Yes, but was looking this morning at prices for a cruise I booked a couple of days ago. If I choose nonrefundable, the price goes down from what I booked, if I choose refundable, the price goes up about the same amount ( ~$300). Since I am a year out, I am glad I booked before the change. A lot can happen in a year's time!

One question I have is do you lose the whole deposit ($900 in this case) or just $100?

On Nonrefundable Deposit if you change the ship or sail date you will be charged a $100 fee per person. If you cancel the cruise you will be charged $100 per person and the remainder of your deposit will be issued as a future cruise certificate that must be used on a future cruise and booked within a year, but does not have to be taken within the year.

Carla

Also noticed that on cruises booked 6+ months out with nonrefundable deposit, the C&A discount has been raised $25. But if booking a refundable deposit the C&A discount is the same as in past.

Carla

On Nonrefundable Deposit if you change the ship or sail date you will be charged a $100 fee per person. If you cancel the cruise you will be charged $100 per person and the remainder of your deposit will be issued as a future cruise certificate that must be used on a future cruise and booked within a year, but does not have to be taken within the year.

Carla

Well that was not explained to me at all...

Carla

Thank you, Carla. Very helpful. Still don't think I will switch my current booking to nonrefundable, but good to know.

wow that is horrible

My 2019 Symphony refundable option is $200 more, and the nonrefundable option is the same price as the previous refundable a few days ago. If that's the trend, I won't be choosing RCI for 2020 and beyond. I have booked all but 1 cruise nearly 2 years out, and I won't pay more for the piece of mind of getting my deposit back.

We've stopped going to WDW due to their greedy price hikes, will be on our last DCL cruise next year for the same reason, and this fare situation with RCI will cause me to keep looking for other vacation options. Sad.....thought we found a new vacation home/plan with RCI.

From all that I had read previously, JS were not supposed to have only the non-refundable deposit option, like the Grand Suites and above were to have. But pricing out JS for future cruises today, it appears that is the only option available.

Carnival has something similar with their Early Saver rate, but it guarantees you get the lowest rate and the spread is no where near as it appears on RC. Looks like we won't be booking far out anymore on RC. We're jumping around now anyway. Have 3 booked on RC, 1 on X, 2 on NCL, and 2 booked on Carnival.

Welcome to the world of the UK cruiser who doesn't get any of the perks you guys get. Just think yourselves very lucky that that's all that's changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk