Regal No Longer offers liquor through room service

Host CJSKIDS

My friend is currently sailing on board the Regal Princess. She just texted me and said that you can no longer order bottles of wine or liquor through room service. It now needs to be ordered prior to your cruise. Thought I would pass thing along in case someone was looking to do this.

Thank you MaxwellOz for the heads up!! See you Sunday!!

That doesn't make much sense at all. Can liquor still be purchased in the shop on deck 7?

I would imagine bottles of wine are still available for purchase in any of the restaurants. There has never been a problem taking a bottle of wine out of a restaurant.

Yes, this is confusing. I had thought about ordering the 1/2 bottles of rum, to take onshore, to avoid local alcohol on a beach day.

If it can be purchased online beforehand, I should certainly be available onboard.

Why would Princess want to give up the sales?

(Or are they assuming that passengers would order this to save money on individual drinks)

That doesn't make much sense at all. Can liquor still be purchased in the shop on deck 7?

I would imagine bottles of wine are still available for purchase in any of the restaurants. There has never been a problem taking a bottle of wine out of a restaurant.

Yes, but those are given out on the last night as always.

You used to be able to order liquor to your room with room service, the small bottles. It is no longer offered via room service.

If you wish to purchase that it needs to be done prior to your sailing.

She had ordered the gold wine package but got refunded since it turns out she could only order the wine in the MDR and not in places like Vines. As I never purchased this, I have no idea if this is a change.

Yes, this is confusing. I had thought about ordering the 1/2 bottles of rum, to take onshore, to avoid local alcohol on a beach day.

If it can be purchased online beforehand, I should certainly be available onboard.

Why would Princess want to give up the sales?

(Or are they assuming that passengers would order this to save money on individual drinks)

I have no idea why they would change this or if it's fleet wide. Only know she texted me while sitting in the Sanctuary and told me this.

If you want to make sure you have the 1/2 bottle, just order it before your cruise to make sure you have it.

Well, in three weeks time, I will be able to tell you what the situation is on CB.

We will be dining in MDR, Crown Grill and making use of UBD and I am expecting to purchase a wine package which I am anticipating being able to access in all locations and, as we are dining in the Crown Grill on the first evening, I am likely to be trying to purchase my wine package in the Crown Grill.

I have also pre-ordered half a bottle of Scotch and half a bottle of Gin and I am not anticipating wanting to top either of these up, until we are well into the cruise, but I will check the room service menu once I am on board and report back to this thread.

Well, in three weeks time, I will be able to tell you what the situation is on CB.

We will be dining in MDR, Crown Grill and making use of UBD and I am expecting to purchase a wine package which I am anticipating being able to access in all locations and, as we are dining in the Crown Grill on the first evening, I am likely to be trying to purchase my wine package in the Crown Grill.

I have also pre-ordered half a bottle of Scotch and half a bottle of Gin and I am not anticipating wanting to top either of these up, until we are well into the cruise, but I will check the room service menu once I am on board and report back to this thread.

I can tell you that she ordered the Gold Wine Package on sunday and said today that she had it refunded because she could only access the wines in the main dining room and not in places like Vines.

I can tell you that she ordered the Gold Wine Package on sunday and said today that she had it refunded because she could only access the wines in the main dining room and not in places like Vines.

Yup, all understood. Hopefully I will find out on day 1 as we will be trying to order the wine package in the Crown Grill which should immediately reveal whether or not the wine package is restricted to MDR.

Whatever, I will definitely report back before Christmas.

What about elite people that want to replace the mini bar set up with a bottle of wine. Typically we call room service to make the swap. Now how would that work?

Another question ... Doesn't ordering a bottle of wine in the MDR always have the corkage fee tacked on?

What about elite people that want to replace the mini bar set up with a bottle of wine. Typically we call room service to make the swap. Now how would that work?

Another question ... Doesn't ordering a bottle of wine in the MDR always have the corkage fee tacked on?

No, it has a 15% tip added to it. You pay corkage if you bring your own bottle that you brought on board into the dining room.

When I pre-ordered wine on the Regal Princess for our October 2017 cruise, I received vouchers in my stateroom and was told I had to go to a food venue to use them, not a bar. I found that very confusing. Of course that meant I could not get a bottle of champagne for sail away for the room since the dining room was closed so I later traded in the cash value of the champagne voucher for a bottle of red wine in a specialty restaurant. But this begs the question, why make it so hard for customers to get what they want? Why do I have to get bottles of wine from a dining room instead of a bar? Very strange.

Wine packages, both Gold and Silver - 7 and 12 bottle, have only ever been available in one of the dining venues which include MDR, Sabatini's, Crown Grill, Horizon Court, Alfredo's, etc. They have never been available for use at any nof the bars or Vines and not via room service. You may however ask your MDR waiter to bring you an unopened bottle from your package and take it to your room.

Wine packages, both Gold and Silver - 7 and 12 bottle, have only ever been available in one of the dining venues which include MDR, Sabatini's, Crown Grill, Horizon Court, Alfredo's, etc. They have never been available for use at any nof the bars or Vines and not via room service. You may however ask your MDR waiter to bring you an unopened bottle from your package and take it to your room.

Agree. You get the wine (from wine package) in the dining room or other food venue. You may have it there, or take it with you. It has never been available at a bar.

Janet

Agree. You get the wine (from wine package) in the dining room or other food venue. You may have it there, or take it with you. It has never been available at a bar.

Janet

I don't think they knew that when they purchased it nor was it spelled out to them.

We have always bought the wine package and the OP is correct. We sailed on both the Crown and Regal in Sept/Oct and you were only able to purchase bottles of wine in the MDR. Previously you could get a bottle using the package in the specialty restaurants and even the buffet. We got around it by purchasing two bottles (or more when they started to run out of our favourite) in the MDR and taking one back to the cabin. From there no one can stop you taking that bottle to a different dining venue or a full glass to Crooners. We were asked a couple of times where we'd purchased the wine which has never happened before but our explanation was readily accepted.

Ordering small bottles and cans of beer from room service was still available on both ships along with the full size red that's always been listed. I'm sorry to see that option go. It was always convenient especially at embarkation.

Thanks for that clarification. All makes sense. Hopefully, I will still be able to share my wine package between MDR and Crown Grill.

Still leaves the question of the OP's other point about not being able to order half bottles of liquor / spirits from Room Service.

As promised I will report back, on the current situation on CB, in three weeks.

CM

If you purchase a wine package, can you take a partially full bottle from the dining room to Vines and have it served there? Or do you have to either drink it in another dining room or in your cabin?

Vines has always been different. They even have their own wine glasses so there's no cross contamination :cool:

Thanks for that clarification. All makes sense. Hopefully, I will still be able to share my wine package between MDR and Crown Grill.

Still leaves the question of the OP's other point about not being able to order half bottles of liquor / spirits from Room Service.

As promised I will report back, on the current situation on CB, in three weeks.

CM

You will only be able to purchase bottles on your package in the MDR. Once purchased you can carry it unopened back to your cabin or to other venues.