Is Your Bed Near the Balcony or Near the Bathroom?

vtcruising

Since a lot of people seem to have a preference about whether their beds are near the balcony or bathroom in the non-suite cabins, I am starting this thread to help people answer that question for their booked cabins or to help choose a cabin.

Some may ask why should I care? Some cruisers prefer one or the other and choose their cabins accordingly. I'll list a few advantages and disadvantages of each and I'm sure others have pet peeves or things they enjoy about each type.

I have stayed in both and have pet peeves about each type and am not sure which I like better. Here are things I have noted or have heard from others:

Bed by the Bath:

Positives:

-cabin living area has more open feel, with couch near the balcony - isn't broken up by bed (some are wondering if this may be even more of a positive with the infinite balcony, which can stay open to add more space to the cabin)

-couch by the balcony to sit and look out at the ocean

Negatives:

-bed by the bath also often means bed by the closet, with a tight squeeze to access the closet

-have to squeeze by the bed to enter the living area (room only for one person and we always need to pass through to go the other direction at the same time :D).

Bed by the Balcony:

Positives:

-easier access to the closet

-can get around cabin more easily since don't have to squeeze by bed as much (except when going to balcony).

-better view of ocean from bed

Negatives:

-less open living area, especially when infinite veranda bifold doors are open

-couch not near the balcony for seating near the ocean

How can you tell if a cabin has the bed near the balcony or bath? The individual cabins on the Edge deck plans are shaped differently, depending upon where the bed is positioned. They usually switch the position in every other cabin. Please note that Celebrity can change the order at any time since the ship is still being built, but at this time, these are the latest plans - you can zoom in on them to see the bed position:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/EDGE/17055722_CEL_Deck_Plans.pdf

When you find the cabin you are looking for, look for the bump out in the wall - that is where the bed will go. Check to see if it is closer to the balcony (see picture below to identify balcony) or bath (bath is next to the hallway).

If you have a difficult time figuring it out, just ask on this thread and someone here will help you out. :D

I'm sure others have things to add to the positives and negatives that I haven't thought of here. What do you prefer?

enhance

Some examples:

enhance

Lost my post will try again

We have always preferred bed by bathroom but do not really seek it out.. bed by bathroom is convenient for early am bathroom visits...closet is tight with the couch right there but we use that to pile some overflow clothes anyhow,

For AQ cabin, we will have bed by infinite veranda.. I believe I noticed that in the test Connie cabin the bifold doors were folded out into the veranda when open so maybe less of a space issue with the nightstand inside????

For the Sunset Veranda cabin, the balcony is traditional and ..larger than many. I believe our bed is also by the balc but that may be nice for views of the ocean......

Oddly, I prefer traveling feet first....over head first,. Otherwise, its like sitting backwards on a train!

• Like 1

Ours is and E2, by the balcony for the entire reason that my husband has an electric chair and it makes life so much easier for us having the extra space right inside the cabin door. The best part of the cabins is that they are almost all marked "handicapped accessible" and we need that for the doorway. On Eclipse the chair, which is NOT one of those big ones, was about 1 inch wider and we have to break it down to get it into the cabin. Scooters fit thru those cabin doors but nothing wider. So, we will see how this works.

Of course, looking forward to a whole new experience, it will be interesting to experience the new cabins.:D

Pat C

Another indicator of bed by the bath...

If you see a black square in a cabin on the deck plans, it denotes a convertible sofa bed. This type of sofa is always by the window/slider and the bed is by the bath. When the sofa is made into a bed it doubles in length and if placed by the bath would be an obstruction to the bath and the cabin door.

• Thanks 1

Another indicator of bed by the bath...

If you see a black square in a cabin on the deck plans, it denotes a convertible sofa bed. This type of sofa is always by the window/slider and the bed is by the bath. When the sofa is made into a bed it doubles in length and if placed by the bath would be an obstruction to the bath and the cabin door.

Good point!

Ours is and E2, by the balcony for the entire reason that my husband has an electric chair and it makes life so much easier for us having the extra space right inside the cabin door. The best part of the cabins is that they are almost all marked "handicapped accessible" and we need that for the doorway. On Eclipse the chair, which is NOT one of those big ones, was about 1 inch wider and we have to break it down to get it into the cabin. Scooters fit thru those cabin doors but nothing wider. So, we will see how this works.

Of course, looking forward to a whole new experience, it will be interesting to experience the new cabins.:D

Pat C

This is helpful advice for those with accessibility needs. :D

Lost my post will try again

We have always preferred bed by bathroom but do not really seek it out.. bed by bathroom is convenient for early am bathroom visits...closet is tight with the couch right there but we use that to pile some overflow clothes anyhow,

For AQ cabin, we will have bed by infinite veranda.. I believe I noticed that in the test Connie cabin the bifold doors were folded out into the veranda when open so maybe less of a space issue with the nightstand inside????

For the Sunset Veranda cabin, the balcony is traditional and ..larger than many. I believe our bed is also by the balc but that may be nice for views of the ocean......

Oddly, I prefer traveling feet first....over head first,. Otherwise, its like sitting backwards on a train!

Yes, I should have put in the positives for bed near bath about being nearer the bathroom at night. I forgot about that one.

We have done AQ the last 2 cruises and had one of each bed by bath and balcony. I had issues with both styles and positives with both, so it comes out about equal for us.

I have heard others say that the way their feet or head are facing makes a difference. For us, it is the way we generally face when sleeping on our sides that becomes important and who gets which side. Oh well, we generally sleep like babies on cruises after late nights of debauchery. ;)

• Haha 1

OP's method of determining bed placement also works for the Oceanview and Panoramic Oceanview staterooms by replacing "near balcony" with "near window".

By luck of the draw our stateroom for the April TA, 3190, is just as I want it with the bed near the bath. :cool:

Joe

OP's method of determining bed placement also works for the Oceanview and Panoramic Oceanview staterooms by replacing "near balcony" with "near window".

By luck of the draw our stateroom for the April TA, 3190, is just as I want it with the bed near the bath. :cool:

Joe

Great! I should have added "or window" to the tutorial. Thanks for adding that info!

Glad you ended up with the configuration you wanted! :D

Great Info here, thanks vtcruising! We have always gone with a bed near the bathroom because we like to have friends over (usually one other couple because that’s all that fits in standard SRs!) and with the couch near the balcony, just gives more room especailly when opening the sliding glass door on M and S-Class ships.

Used the gouge you showed us and looks as if we’ll now be trying a bed near the balcony. I thought about changing, but we are on a B2B and there are no same SRs in our class on both cruises. Should be fun.

Might list this as a positive for bed near the bathroom:

- More room to entertain with the couch, desk chair and chair(s) from the balcony.

But you already mentioned there is more room near the balcony with the bathroom bed config, so that might suffice.

Den

Great Info here, thanks vtcruising! We have always gone with a bed near the bathroom because we like to have friends over (usually one other couple because that’s all that fits in standard SRs!) and with the couch near the balcony, just gives more room especailly when opening the sliding glass door on M and S-Class ships.

Used the gouge you showed us and looks as if we’ll now be trying a bed near the balcony. I thought about changing, but we are on a B2B and there are no same SRs in our class on both cruises. Should be fun.

Might list this as a positive for bed near the bathroom:

- More room to entertain with the couch, desk chair and chair(s) from the balcony.

But you already mentioned there is more room near the balcony with the bathroom bed config, so that might suffice.

Den

I'm sure you will find many positives for the bed by the balcony - just pile the friends onto the bed. Been there, done that! :D

• Haha 1

I'm sure you will find many positives for the bed by the balcony - just pile the friends onto the bed. Been there, done that! :D

I Ithink I saw that in a movie recently, and......nope, going to leave that line alone!! We’ve Got to cruise together sometime. You outdo me so well, and with such better class!

Den

I Ithink I saw that in a movie recently, and......nope, going to leave that line alone!! We’ve Got to cruise together sometime. You outdo me so well, and with such better class!

Den

I think I’ve seen that movie too:') Thanks Den! I really needed that laugh:D

Cheers, Michelle

To answer your question Vtcruising, I prefer the bed by the bath because the “living” area of the cabin seems more spacious with that configuration. I do think it would be great to try a bed facing the balcony, so I’m looking forward to finding out if the Sky Suites are actually configured that way. If so, I’ll hope to book one someday:)

BTW DH has an easy solution for closet congestion. He keeps one of our magnetic laundry hooks on the ceiling closer to the balcony. When we’re getting ready to dress for the evening, he hangs his garments on the hook, leaving the closet region free for me.

To answer your question Vtcruising, I prefer the bed by the bath because the “living” area of the cabin seems more spacious with that configuration. I do think it would be great to try a bed facing the balcony, so I’m looking forward to finding out if the Sky Suites are actually configured that way. If so, I’ll hope to book one someday:)

BTW DH has an easy solution for closet congestion. He keeps one of our magnetic laundry hooks on the ceiling closer to the balcony. When we’re getting ready to dress for the evening, he hangs his garments on the hook, leaving the closet region free for me.

You married a smart guy! :D

Den

Our mantra is "what happens on the cruise, stays on the cruise!" :D

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9291 has the bed by the bath and has a firewall on one side, so may be a bit quieter. 9293 has the bed by the balcony. Looks like a nice area of the ship!

enhance

Great to hear you say that re the area of the ship. We have chosen the cabin below 8292 :-)

Bed by the balcony ---- love it as we love to be as close to the sea as possible without being in it!!!

I posted this elsewhere but thought it might be useful here...

Infinite Veranda...bed by balcony, with veranda doors open inward..thought they opened out?

Either way Tight squeeze around the bed..

Infinite Veranda...bed by balcony

Hcat,

Your pic of this "Tight Squeeze" does not seem possible.

However, most of the Infinite Veranda images I see, are with the bed by the bathroom.

Curious if there are any other "bed by the balcony" images?

Michael

Edited by $hip$hape

I posted this elsewhere but thought it might be useful here...

Infinite Veranda...bed by balc, with veranda doors open inward..thought they opened out? Either way Tight squeeze around the bed..

The windows will move outwards .... I can see it .. sort of .. I will be sleeping on that side of the bed so will feel like I am sleeping on the balcony ;-)

The Photo I posted was from someone who was on the ship and posted alot of pics. .I have only seen the doors go outward which is why I called attention to it..Maybe they go either way???

Celeb has featured bed by bath in most of its pics and the brochure.

Doors going out will work better for me and dh...Most likely he will be getting the veranda side....

My cruise is sold out in AQ so no option to get bed by bath..We will enjoy what we have and hope cabin will be better in person than how it shows!