Johnny Rockets

phantomII

I see where somebody on here mentioning having to pay for a hamburger in Johnny Rockets, is this really true?? We are going on the Voyager and they have this restaurant on board. I just can't believe they will charge for this kind of meal - hamburger and milk shake. What's the real story?

Cover charge yes..but still a bargain compared to regular prices. Went there for the Burger,Shakes & Onion Rings but was really surprised at how good the Apple Pie al mode was (tasted homemade) :p

There is a cover charge. It used to be free but the teens were all using it as a hangout and the cover charge was initially used as a kind of incentive for them to go away. The original cover charge was $3.95. I understand that it has gone up to $4.95.

For this all your food is free and all you can eat. Beverages are extra. This is the beverage menu from Mariner June 2008 (I was able to use my soda card here):

johnnyrockets.jpg

$4.95 PLUS extra for drinks and/or milkshakes.

When they first started with JR's, it was free and it was mobbed. To many passengers and to much wasted food. Now that there's a charge I've never seen a time when it would be difficult to get a table.

Since it's back by the Adventure Ocean area, I really think RCI intended this to be a kids hang out sort of place. But the adults enjoyed it as well and that really led to overcrowding. I remember reading on these forums about the overcrowding and teenagers just hanging out taking up table space. Like that doesn't happen with adults in the WJ when cruising the inside passage in Alaska.

Well, I think it sounds like a rip off. If a kid gets a burger and a milkshake it will cost 8 or 9 dollars,, which is EXACTLY what it would cost at most places on land,, and frankly , more then some fast food places. It amazes me how happily some of you will part with your money.

We will not bother .,, I can't imagine paying 5 bucks to eat hamburger and fries ,, now,, if it was something good, like Sushi....

Well, I think it sounds like a rip off. If a kid gets a burger and a milkshake it will cost 8 or 9 dollars,, which is EXACTLY what it would cost at most places on land,, and frankly , more then some fast food places. It amazes me how happily some of you will part with your money.

We will not bother .,, I can't imagine paying 5 bucks to eat hamburger and fries ,, now,, if it was something good, like Sushi....

and it amazes me how judgemental and obsurd some posters are.:eek:...mabe I have PLENTY of money and and happily part with it WHENEVER I desire or need something...:p I would MUCH rather have a JR burger and onion rings than sushi anyday...ESPECIALLY cruise ship sushi....

It's just an option - no one is forcing you to eat there.

###

$4.95 PLUS extra for drinks and/or milkshakes.

When they first started with JR's, it was free and it was mobbed. To many passengers and to much wasted food. Now that there's a charge I've never seen a time when it would be difficult to get a table.

Since it's back by the Adventure Ocean area, I really think RCI intended this to be a kids hang out sort of place. But the adults enjoyed it as well and that really led to overcrowding. I remember reading on these forums about the overcrowding and teenagers just hanging out taking up table space. Like that doesn't happen with adults in the WJ when cruising the inside passage in Alaska.

The MDR gets mobbed around 6.30 every evening and at 8.00 maybe a cover charge there would sought that out

The sushi in Jade are free and very good. The burgers and everything else at JR are horrible. Never enjoyed anything but the apple pie. The onion rings were just ok. The fries and burgers on the ship are better, without a cover charge. I guess people think for 4.95 they can eat anything....in WJ they can also....for free! Same with MDR! When there was a free coupon we would go when we got back from an excursion and the WJ was closed...now without a free coupon, will not go. Nothing is worth it there.

I didn't really think JR's was that over the top. It was just okay but nothing special. The burgers at the in and out or five guys are much better. I guess you pay for the atmosphere. :confused:

I really love JRs onion rings and fries (i get the grilled cheese not the burgers). But, dude, if there was a 5 Guys onboard, I'd be all over it.

I just ate there last Wed night on the FOS. It is $4.95/person and all you can eat. Drinks are not included. The food was good and was something I would do once. It was a fun atmosphere. The waiters and cook came out and cranked up the music and did a dance to one of the songs. One of the comedians on the farewell show made a joke about JR. He said that you can get lobster, prime rib, etc. in the MDR but have to pay $4.95 for a burger and fries. Oh well, it is a choice just like Chops and Portofino. Portofino is $20 and Chops is $25. Includes gratuities but not drinks. So tack on more $ for a nice bottle of wine. Ben and Jerry's is the same way. Couple bucks for ice cream. Seems kind of ridiculous, but it is nice to have once. We spent a boat load of money for our trip, whats another $4.95?

The fries and burgers on the ship are better, without a cover charge

Interesting comment that may need clarification. No way would I eat the burgers in the Windjammer but lunch time in the Dining Room and room service can supply you with some decent burgers.

Interesting comment that may need clarification. No way would I eat the burgers in the Windjammer but lunch time in the Dining Room and room service can supply you with some decent burgers.

Actually, lunchtime in the Windjammer is about the only time I would think about getting burgers there. At that time, the turnaround time on them is fast enough that they don't have time to sit out under the heat lamp and get odd.

Actually, lunchtime in the Windjammer is about the only time I would think about getting burgers there. At that time, the turnaround time on them is fast enough that they don't have time to sit out under the heat lamp and get odd.

I agree the turnaround time is faster at lunch. I just don't think they are the same quality but then again it may just be my imagination.

You can order as much food as you like, it is one charge. The only extras are the drinks and that is the same all over the ship.

Just my opinion, but the food in JR's for a lunch was fantastic value for $4.95. Unlimited fries and onion rings. The burgers are far, far superior than those in the WJ. The atmosphere is fantastic, the wait staff even supply coins for the juke box so you can chose a song at your table. The shakes and desserts are to die for. There were lines for tables when we went the 2nd time (just lucky I guess the first time) and they now hand out those bleeper things used in many restaurants to let you know when a table is free on Freedom. Service is top notch. JMHO. Around $15 for 2 of us (using the buy 1 shake get 1 free coupon from your booklet), less than £10, bargain! As I say, I'd rather pay this and really enjoy my burger than the mediocre food in the WJ at lunch. No pushing or shoving as in the WJ, no fighting for a table and you are served by excellent staff.

We live in the Myrtle Beach, SC area and have a Johnny Rockets. Most people (and kids) that we know don't think it is anything special. We have several other restaurants for Hamburgers and onion rings that are far superior to JR. On one of our cruises we tried JR but think the one here in Myrtle Beach was much better. The price doesn't matter that much to me as much as I don't know what all the excitement about it is. Actually my DH said that he would rather purchase one than get one that has been laying around in a pan in the windjammer.

Archived