Worth $1,000 to bump up from Jr to Grand Suite and get concierge?

I dont think the extra $$$ is worth it. However, a GS will give you 2 cruise credits and if that put me into the next CA level I would consider it. Also, I did a suite gaurantee once and got upgraded to a GS. You never know.

JS Gives you to two credits also.

To the OP: you are asking for our opinions, obviously the choice is yours and many people do make that choice. Personally I don't see it being worth an extra thousand dollars.

Everyone is correct here - isn't that a nice change, lol!:p It depends on the person really, and what they like. I won't even look at a ship unless the hump balcony on a higher deck is available:rolleyes: so a suite isn't on my radar mostly because of location, but also for the reasons I stated before - I just haven't seen anything to make me want/need the services that come with a suite. It would be wasted money for me so this way I spend my money in ways that I know I will actually enjoy. Lots of people don't care about the actual cabin at all and are really the lucky ones - they are fine having an interior and can save a bundle on accomodations and REALLY go crazy spending on board, lol!:p I'm sure they get more cruises per year than others. It's just nice that there are so many different cabins for each person's preference.

We don't really need more room so we would literally pay the extra just for the concierge services and lounge.

I too would say no because you said you really don't need the extra room.

I also agree with so much said here on this thread and how someone said-boy ain't that great!! lol

I choose to travel in a suite now because we do travel with our older teen sons and love the extra room. We like to have one room as it is family bonding and our business only allows us to travel once a year so I spring for a suite now. We also did the interior first cruise-you live you learn!!!:eek:

Keep in mind-depending on your sailing-the CL can be very crowded so spending an extra grand for possible standing room only, in a 3 hour window with a limited bar is not worth a thousand dollars. If you had to buy a cappuccino now and then-how much could that really cost and food is included in your cruise fare so any little nibblets or the breakfast served is still not adding up to one thousand dollars.

Once it's just myself and hubby-a JS will suit us just fine. I'm counting the days/years to those retirement cruises!!! :D

having a full suite means more than just the CL. You'll get an invite for a bridge tour, a free bottle of champagne in your room, canapes, choc dipped strawberries, ghiradelli choc squares on your pillow, a different room service menu to order breakfast from, a seperate suite seating area for breakfast, not to mention reserved seating at the pool and in the theatre. That's all the comes to mind at the moment.

I was just in an Owner's Suite, and I got everything mentioned EXCEPT what I highlighted in bold.....

Bridge tour....bottle of champagne???? That would have been nice.

We didn't even use the breakfast seating, nor the reserved seating in the pool or theater.

But the suite experience was verrrrryyyy nice!!!

LOL.....you are not living under a rock.:) Suite guests do not get an automatic invite for a bridge tour. Only diamond plus guests get an automatic invite for a choice of the bridge tour, galley tour, or behind the scenes theater tour. If there is a small number of diamond plus guests that choose the bridge tour the LA will then invite some of the suite guests. If you are on the LA's radar than certain suite guests will also get an automatic bridge tour.

I was in a GS on Majesty the end of October and the invite for the bridge tour said "Suite Guests". We had a bottle of champagne for being in the GS per our cabin steward. Nobody called us to ask if we wanted a galley tour, stage tour, or bridge tour. Perhaps then, what I experienced on a Sovereign class ship is not what you get on a Vision, Radiance, Voyager, or Monster class ship.

For me the best thing about having a suite is being able to have breakfast and lunch in a separate quiet area (eg Portofino on Voyager).

I hate the hustle and bustle of Windjammer and do not care to go to MDR for breakfast or lunch as the dining times there are too early and inflexible for me.

There is no argument that the GS is a really nice cabin with lots of floor space.

I always cruise in either a JS or GS - it all depends on price. Last year I was able to snag the GS on the AOS for $1699 :)

On our upcoming AOS B2B, I had booked us in a GS for both weeks. I was watching prices and there was an amazing deal on JS's for the first week so I had to go for it - and because I don't like to change cabins for the 2nd week, I went for the same JS for week 2. I don't regret my decision, because while there is more space in the GS, the JS actually has better storage than the GS (especially with 3 in the cabin).

If you are considering the GS in order to have access to the Concierge Lounge (and free drinks) - I would say don't bother. There is limited access to alcohol in the CL, and it is during designated hours - so unless you are prepared to sit there from 5:30-8:30pm each night drinking constantly - you won't get your money's worth :rolleyes:

You get 2 cruise credits in a JS, so if you sail enough you will make diamond and have access to the diamond lounge on each cruise without having to pay for the difference between a JS and GS :)

I won't even look at a ship unless the hump balcony on a higher deck is available:rolleyes: so a suite isn't on my radar mostly because of location

You can get a Junior Suite on the Hump on the high decks. Like you, we became hump snobs ;) and then we got upgraded to a Junior Suite on our last cruise and fell in love with the extra space, bigger baloncy, walk-in closet, and bathroom. So you can still get a suite in your preferred location.

You get an automatic invite for a bridge tour if you sail in a suite? I must be living under a rock....is this part of the new suite perks?

With our upgrade to an OS we asked the concierge if we could get any behind the scenes tours. He set us up with an awesome tripple play: galley and stage in the morning and bridge in the afternoon on our last day at sea.

Go For A Grand Suite... :) ( we paid an extra £1000 On Indy but loved it)

It was so worth while to us, I loved all the extra's, the free Seattles Coffee within the lounge, plus between 17.00 - 20.30 included alcohol drinks, pre dinner canapes, as many as you wanted but make room for your dinner.

We really enjoyed and looked forward to going to the lounge every evening, met some wonderful decent people and now good friends, plus the captain visited one of the evenings and spoke to us for a while and shook his hand, this made my day.

Our Concierge Gershwin was more than helpful and would do anything he could to help resolve any issues you had. Showing your gold card allows you access to the various seating areas in the main theatre and not having to que for ice show tickets, plus having breakfast in Portofinos every morning was really nice perk to have, as you find the Windjammer gets very busy and this saved having breakfast on the balcony, plus slippers to keep and use of the spa robes in your room to.

But having a suite spoils you and you won't want to go back to anything smaller... booked another grand suite for Jan 2011 on Independence again for the fourth time now (must be mad) but really love this ship.... Mark x

p.s. have fun what ever you decide, happy cruising :)

Tell me. What is this?

Personalized Discover Shopping advice

I've never heard of anyone doing this. This is a perk? I think anyone can go to the port and shopping guide for "advice" on how to get rid of a little money (or a lot). :p

I wouldn't pay $1000 a week. Even though we already have CL access I have a limit of about $500 a week more for a GS just for the 2 bathroom sinks, no bumping into each other between the closet and the bathroom door, and that bar that is big enough to put things on without having to use the desk to collect all the overflow. It IS about the extra space for us.

I'd like to start liking interior rooms. We could save a lot of money. I admire people who cruise that way.

Gina

Go For A Grand Suite... :) ( we paid an extra £1000 On Indy but loved it)

It was so worth while to us, I loved all the extra's, the free Seattles Coffee within the lounge, plus between 17.00 - 20.30 included alcohol drinks, pre dinner canapes, as many as you wanted but make room for your dinner.

We really enjoyed and looked forward to going to the lounge every evening, met some wonderful decent people and now good friends, plus the captain visited one of the evenings and spoke to us for a while and shook his hand, this made my day.

Our Concierge Gershwin was more than helpful and would do anything he could to help resolve any issues you had. Showing your gold card allows you access to the various seating areas in the main theatre and not having to que for ice show tickets, plus having breakfast in Portofinos every morning was really nice perk to have, as you find the Windjammer gets very busy and this saved having breakfast on the balcony, plus slippers to keep and use of the spa robes in your room to.

But having a suite spoils you and you won't want to go back to anything smaller... booked another grand suite for Jan 2011 on Independence again for the fourth time now (must be mad) but really love this ship.... Mark x

p.s. have fun what ever you decide, happy cruising :)

OMG....:D...Had to make a comment..Loved Gershwin..best Concierge..... IMHO that RCCL has ..We had him on the INDY Jan '09 Eastern Caribbean..also love the INDY..back again Mar 2010.....We will be on your side of the pond on JOS Aug. 2010

In my opinion, for two people it is just not worth $1000 more. Sure some of those things like canapes and strawberries and a bottle of champagne are nice, but certainly not necessities. As for making reservations for the specialty restaurants or the hairdresser of the spa, unless you are either helpless or very demanding of service, those are all things you can easily do on your own just by picking up the phone and dialing. The JS is plenty roomy for 2 passengers so ask yourself, do I need or want the extra space and knick knacks and how better could I spend my half of the $1000:)

OMG....:D...Had to make a comment..Loved Gershwin..best Concierge..... IMHO that RCCL has ..We had him on the INDY Jan '09 Eastern Caribbean..also love the INDY..back again Mar 2010.....We will be on your side of the pond on JOS Aug. 2010

Hi There...

thanks fro your comments glad you liked him also, he never gave me chance to finish my Gin & Tonic before yet another Gin & TOnic came along :eek:, was nice but trouble is you drink to much before dinner and I can't eat I want to sleep :rolleyes:...

I bet you can't wait to be back on the Indy, I love her, in my eyes she is still fairly newish and clean and serve up key lime pie, my fave...

Mark x

p.s. plus I hear from loads of passengers that Jewel of the Seas is an amazing ship

I've been in the JS and the GS and have booked an OS for a TA We like the space and the little extras My hsuband enjoys reading in the cabin during the day know we can never drink enough to make up for the extra cost but still....nice to have it available

Here's some photos that may tempt you !.... :eek::rolleyes:

Mark x

Your pictures are great! I still wouldn't pay it just because I wouldn't really use much of the benefits you're paying for, but it's nice to see people enjoying it! Love the stateroom decorations over the bed! I think, though, if I were doing a TA or something I might want more room.... but next vacay will be land (we like to switch back and forth!):D

We reserved a Jr. Suite on Liberty and we're trying to decide if it's worth it to bump up to the Grand so we can utilize the concierge services. We don't really need more room so we would literally pay the extra just for the concierge services and lounge.

I also tend to agree with most everything I've read.

If you are simply booking this room for the concierge lounge, I would say no...and this is from somebody who stays in Grand Suites most of the time and loves the concierge lounge. But my wife and I don't mind spending the extra money because we love the extra space in the room, and bathroom. That, coupled with the concierge lounge allows us to justify spending the extra money.

It's like anything in life, if you have the extra money to spend, I would say go for it and enjoy it! If you're looking to stay on somewhat of a budget, then I would say no...there are better deals on board.

One last thing, you have to tip the concierge at the end of the cruise, so you need to factor that in as well.

Have a fantastic cruise!

Your pictures are great! I still wouldn't pay it just because I wouldn't really use much of the benefits you're paying for, but it's nice to see people enjoying it! Love the stateroom decorations over the bed! I think, though, if I were doing a TA or something I might want more room.... but next vacay will be land (we like to switch back and forth!):D

That very kind of you to say RCCL decorated it nice and it was a birthday treat, but really worth thinking about if you get a really good deal... :)

I don't think that $1k is worth the use of the Concierge Lounge.. I say that as a Diamond Plus member who gets to use the lounge without charge. I certainly wouldn't pay that much extra to just use the CL. I love the JS and the GS to me, is not worth the extra money.

I could buy a whole lot of drinks for the extra money. If the GS and above gave more benefits, I could justify spending the money, but at this point, to me, it isn't worth it. (Even not being Diamond Plus.)

Archived