Cruise 'Snobs'

The_Baron

I was searching for videos of Liberty of the seas since I am going on her on Sunday, and found another version of cruise rudeness - far away from beeing a cruise snob..

And I wonder how this person thinks this behavior adds to anyones vacation.:rolleyes:. I hope he was inebriated. I would hate to think someone of his age would do such a thing sober! YUCK!:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class', for example, eating in the windjammer on Indy one night, we both decided to have something a burger.

On a table nearby, there were a group of people, tutting, and muttering under their breath about "these young people always eating junk food!" (we're both in our 30's, and this was the only time, apart from JR's we ate burgers!)

Another time, my wife was told to "Shut up, girl!" by a woman reading, when she was talking to someone else by the pool. Others were complaining about the amount of 'young people and families'. It seemed to me that some of these people felt that cruising was the reserve of the upper classes, and the more 'senior' folk. I even said to one that if they felt that way, don't book a cruise on a ship like Indy, which is a family-ship.

do others experience this? Or is it a rare thing?

Hi Baron,

we are sailing with RCL for the first time in next march,so i can's say anything about Royal caribbean people.Our previous cruises were with HAL(and it feels like you are in a retirement house on board)

But we newer experienced such thing.I hope that was an unlucky and 1 time only thing and newer happens again..

I think you can find rudeness anywhere. In all the examples, there are a few rude people on a ship with thousands of passengers. I think you guys just had bad luck. For the most part, whether passengers are old or young, people are people and exhibit the same level of rudeness you will find anywhere. Better luck next time. :)

The sanest post in the thread.

Another phenomenon just generally speaking is taking a cruise, seeing a magnificent part of the world, eating like a king, and the most vivid memory is of a person who shusshed ya.

I don't know if you want to call what we experienced "snobs", but it was highly annoying so I'll just speak about it here.

We just got off the Liberty Of The Seas for 7 nights starting on Halloween. Wonderful cruise. However, there was a couple on there that my group of 9 all wanted to slap. It started on the Marriage Game. They went around asking couples to do several things to get the chance to compete. It was painfully obvious they knew what to do both to get up there, and also had all their answers choreographed :rolleyes:

Then at Quest, they also orchestrated things so that they'd be picked as both the man and the woman as team leaders. They sat in separate seats so the person doing the picking wouldn't know they were man and wife. Then, of course, they had every item lined up that they'd need for the supposedly "impromptu" game. Mike, the CD, even noted it and walked over to their team saying they got their items a little too quickly and it was obvious they'd played before.

The couple had these huge RCI drinking cups and it was rather apparent they'd been cruising a million times. Great, good for them. But to use that to one's own advantage so you can be a couple of attention whores... c'mon. Had to vent that somewhere. Might as well be here.

• 3 years later...
My idea of a cruise snob are the people who walk around with the Royal Caribbean name tags and aren't employees. I can understand wearing it to the welcome back where the reason for the party is to recognize the repeat cruisers. But come on....I've seen women wear it on their formal gowns and men on their tuxes on formal night. I've even seen people wear it on their swim suit cover ups and down town at ports.

Well if you don't like it, close your eyes! What do you do when someone is wearing a Nikes T-shirt?

When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class', for example, eating in the windjammer on Indy one night, we both decided to have something a burger.

On a table nearby, there were a group of people, tutting, and muttering under their breath about "these young people always eating junk food!" (we're both in our 30's, and this was the only time, apart from JR's we ate burgers!)

Another time, my wife was told to "Shut up, girl!" by a woman reading, when she was talking to someone else by the pool. Others were complaining about the amount of 'young people and families'. It seemed to me that some of these people felt that cruising was the reserve of the upper classes, and the more 'senior' folk. I even said to one that if they felt that way, don't book a cruise on a ship like Indy, which is a family-ship.

There are those in this world who need to look down on others. The funny thing is, there are those who cruise the luxury lines who look down on EVERYONE who cruise the mass market lines. I think by and large it is a rare thing however. Most people are good people who want only to enjoy their vacations without judging others.

Our first cruise ever was to Alaska - beautiful cruise, with Princess. We were on a ship shore excursion which involved riding in a beat up old school bus to a site past the municipal dump (tip for those of you from the UK) and into the woods. We were appropriately dressed with jeans and jackets. It was cold, rainy, and we were on a school bus headed for an outdoor barbeque. The lady in front of me commented very loudly that, 'the tone of these cruises is going lower all the time - they let anyone on the ships'. Her husband - who was in the seat behind me said, "try not to be more of an a$$ than you need to be'. It was hilarious and we certainly didn't let that ruin our trip!

Did you realize the last post on this thread before yours was 3 years ago?

Well if people are going to be upset by nametags and logos, maybe they should find a different cruise line. They would have never made it in the military where you wear your medals and stripes.

Well if people are going to be upset by nametags and logos, maybe they should find a different cruise line. They would have never made it in the military where you wear your medals and stripes.

Snorkel....Albuquerque...See I can't do it too.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well if you don't like it, close your eyes! What do you do when someone is wearing a Nikes T-shirt?

You have REALLY gone out of your way to sniff and be offended, haven't you?

P.S. I adore your non-snobbish screenname! :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Edited by Merion_Mom

You have REALLY gone out of your way to sniff and be offended, haven't you?

P.S. I adore your non-snobbish screenname! :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Well I've only sailed once with RCL, but if I was invited to the elite lounges and given the company logo, I wouldn't be ashamed of it! This is suppose to be a Royal Caribbean thread, and me defending them offends you?

Well I've only sailed once with RCL, but if I was invited to the elite lounges and given the company logo, I wouldn't be ashamed of it! This is suppose to be a Royal Caribbean thread, and me defending them offends you?

I am genuinely curious. How did you find this three year old thread? Did you do a search for "snobs"?

I am genuinely curious. How did you find this three year old thread? Did you do a search for "snobs"?

I was sent some links from a friend including the original post here, and I don't have any problem with it. We've seen our fair share of snobs too. I also think it's snobbish to complain about nametags and logos that the cruise line gives out. People wear brand names all the time in the real world, get over it!

I was sent some links from a friend including the original post here, and I don't have any problem with it. We've seen our fair share of snobs too. I also think it's snobbish to complain about nametags and logos that the cruise line gives out. People wear brand names all the time in the real world, get over it!

I do not disagree with your viewpoint.

I just don't understand why you had to post it on a three year old thread.

And why did your friends send you a link to a thread about "cruise snobs"????

Edited by Merion_Mom

I do not disagree with your viewpoint.

I just don't understand why you had to post it on a three year old thread.

And why did your friends send you a link to a thread about "cruise snobs"????

We were having a little marathon on Saturday while she read some of these stories over the phone. I finally just asked her to send me a link and I signed up for an account. It looks like only the current threads appear first, so I'll go with that.

We were having a little marathon on Saturday while she read some of these stories over the phone. I finally just asked her to send me a link and I signed up for an account. It looks like only the current threads appear first, so I'll go with that.

Well, welcome to cruise critic!

When is your next cruise, and on which ship?

I was told by an older gentleman that I had "fired him up" over table discussion of the upcoming possible C&A changes.

Also had lunch with a lovely German couple who said they were snubbed by their table mates at dinner during their first cruise after the lady asked them what level they were.

I have run into those type of people on every cruise that I have been on.