Live...Live....Live from the Oasis 8/28/10 with Merion Mom

Greetings fellow Cruise Critics.

I am currently on board the indescribably amazing Oasis of the Seas on Day 2 of an altered weeklong sailing.

Originally:

Nassau

sea day

St. Thomas

St. Maarten

sea day

sea day

disembark

Now, thanks to TS Earl:

Nassau - staying later, until 5 instead of 2

sea day

sea day

Costa Maya

Cozumel

sea day

disembark

We have heard that the Carnival ships originally doing the eastern itinerary have similarly altered their plans.

Lord knows how crowded Coz & Costa Maya will be!

Next post: Life on board the Oasis!

Thank you Merion_Mom for the live thread I was getting worried no one was going to do one this week it has been so much fun reading live threads the last few weeks from everybody.

If it is anything like the one you did on the Mariner that you did we are in for a treat.

Gary

Have fun Merion Mom! I just got off yesterday and I am still saying WOW!!

I just cant believe how INCREDIBLE that ship was. I had it planned for

2 years, and it flew by. Savor everything you can!

Say hello to Bejourn for me and my daughter Jessica, he is in front of OnAir selling bingo cards, and works the rising tide bar too. He is a great guy from Jamaica with a fun personality!

Ok, first some "housekeeping".

I will display my signature on just this post, so that anyone who wants to check out any of my previous "LIVE LIVE LIVE with Merion Mom" threads can do so. After that, I will suppress it, as usual. :)

I am traveling with LadyLawyer. We flew into Fort Lauderdale on Friday afternoon, and got the Hilton's free shuttle from airport to hotel.

Hot & humid as can be in Florida. Airconditioning is SUCH a wonderful invention!

LL forgot her camera, so after we threw out luggage into our REALLY nice, free-upgraded Concierge level room (don't you just love that word, "upgraded"? Not heard on the Oasis this week, by the way), we got a taxi to take us to Wally World, a place that I DO NOT PATRONIZE.

They actually had a very nice selection of cameras, and LL selected one, and I answered the siren call of a brand new, smaller-than-my-regular-camera video camera. Yes, on impulse, I bought a video camera. So there will be *moving pitchers* later. :)

I will be posting pictures in this thread later, but not this morning.

Check in was as fast and efficient as everyone else has already described. Arrived at the port at 11 a.m.

LOVED having the SeaPass photo taken at the check-in desk.

I just love the little retiree check-in staff. They are so adorable, and so genuinely happy that you are going on a cruise.

We decided to have a "Welcome Aboard" photo taken, which we usually avoid by running right by the photogs. After all, this IS the Oasis!

Sat down in the waiting area about 11:15 - just chairs, but stations for beverages - for just a few minutes. There was an announcement that the ship was not yet ready for boarding, but that they would let us know when it was.

Then they called "Suites may now board." Ten seconds later: "Diamond Plus may now board". Ten seconds later: "Diamond may now board". Caused a slight mad rush for the "DING" machines, but it was ok. A quick trip up the boarding ramps, another slight bottleneck of the door to the Oasis itself, then there we were.

The Oasis of the Seas.

Between the two of us, LL and I have been on all classes of RC ships, and most of the ships themselves.

Oasis is truly in a class by itself.

We said to each other, and others, more than once, "it is as though we've never been on a cruise before". We are so accustomed to walking onto a new ship, but knowing where everything is.

If you've been on Explorer, and go on Voyager, (the sequence of my first three cruises: Explorer, Explorer, Voyager), then you know where each feature & venue is located.

On the Oasis, all bets are off. A whole new lay out. It's not just the sheer size - there is little familiarity. Yes, the Royal Promenade is still on Deck 5. (thank goodness! SOMETHING we can remember!)

All of this newness is a WONDERFUL thing.

I am going to continue to break this up into smallish, manageable posts. So, this is the end of THIS post. :D

We had deposited all three of our suitcases with the porter (who was LOVELY, and very happy to accept the tip, but was quasi-surprised, i.e., NOT demanding of it). We had only small personal items to carry, BUT.....we had bought a six pack of water and a six pack of Caffeine Free Diet Coke at Walmart, and that was in my small bag, so THAT was heavy. And it got heavier over the next hour and a half!

Based on the advice of "everyone" on CC, we dashed straight to Central Park and the Park Café.

We were the second people in there, and got a salad bar offering and a sandwich. I had the "famous" roast beef, and LL had a tuna panini.

I got to watch the chef take out a freshly roasted tenderloin of beef and slice it down. My slices were the first ones of the August 28th sailing!!! :D

It was DELICIOUS.

Report on the flavored water: Had the mango flavor. I like it a lot. Didn't expect to, but I do. LL does, too. There you have two votes in favor.

We then decided that scoping out the ship was a great idea, but not with all of our heavy crap hanging on our shoulders.

We walked a bit of the Royal Promenade. It is SO wide and spacious, it rarely is impassable, unlike the Voyager and Freedom class ships at MORE than just the parade times.

One important note: It is impossible to do everything on this ship. Don't even try. Just not doable.

We made an appointment with the Future Cruise Consultant/L.A. for this afternooon.

Then we decided to plant ourselves someplace quiet to wait a bit. We chose the On Air club, which is on the RP, unlike Voyager and Freedom class, where it's down on Deck 2. (3?) (anyway, where Studio B is there). It was empty except for us and staff. (tried Boleros first, directly across the RP from OnAir, but everyone in there was smoking. Yuck.)

The waitress asked if we wanted anything to drink. Thus begins our experience of running into RC staff that we know. The waitress was Jeannie - she was on the Mariner during our Around the Horn cruise. So if any Hornblowers are reading this, you should remember Jeannie from the Schooner Bar.

At one, we were indeed able to go to our cabins, although no one had made an announcement and the fire doors were still closed. People just went, and no one was there to stop anyone.

Cabin report in next post.

So glad to find your "Live" from post, Merion Mom. I've always enjoyed your others. And if a seasoned cruiser such as yourself can be swept away by Oasis, what chance do I have on Allure? My chin will be scraping the deck for two weeks!!

BTW, I think I know that girl whose picture you posted! :p ;) :D

Looking forward to your cruise!

When I booked this cruise, waaaaaaaaaay back the day that bookings opened in early August 2008, I was hopeful that somehow my kids would be able to go with me. Naturally, it turned out otherwise.

But this means that I had booked a D1, which has the sofabed.

Ok, people, I have stayed in interiors on Sovereign class - 119 square feet.

I have stayed in the Royal Family Suite on the Mariner - I don't even KNOW how many square feet are there!

And all categories in between.

Royal Caribbean may call this a D cabin, but it ain't. You know that when you look at the website and deck plans and a D cabin is listed at 180 square feet, the size of an E cabin on Voyager/Freedom class ship.

You know what? They are TIGHT. Not spacious. Not enough storage. Many poorly designed features.

Don't get me wrong - I am loving this cruise and this ship.

But the *squeeze as many cabins in as possible* is very evident.

The outlet at the vanity is as bad or worse as previously described.

Less storage in the vanity area: Not 8 drawers, with one having the hairdryer; no, it's THREE drawers, with one having the hairdryer.

No desk drawer. No cheap plastic pen. Nada. Zilch. Bupkus.

Less next-to-the-mirror storage, too.

Beds when "apart" are VERY close together. Little space between the ends of the beds and the opposite wall. Little space to walk past the bed and the vanity. Table in front of the sofa has to be either very close to the sofa or very close to the vanity, in order to allow access to the other.

Shallow closet that is too small. Shelves not as good as drawers. Even the safe is smaller than safes on other ships!!!!!

Great balcony. That's what you are getting with a D1. There is room to put loungers instead of chairs, but our cabin steward refused. (there will be a separate post on "Stewart" later)

GREAT feature: nightlight in bathroom.

Bathroom is well laid out, but also less storage space.

Sink barely drains.

Again, LOVE the ship, LOVE the cruise. Disappointed, considering the cruise fare, what a so-called D cabin is. Will it ruin, or even "affect" my cruise? Nope.

But I am CERTAINLY glad that my kidS are not with me. Three in that cabin, particularly a Mom and two young adults: <SHUDDER>

SeaPass is encoded for the Diamond Lounge and the Concierge Lounge. No extra cards needed.

This Concierge Lounge (I am here typing) blows away the CL on every other ship. Will be posting pics later.

We got here yesterday afternoon around 3.

Fully staffed. Beyond fully, actually. Two concierges, three waiters, and three extra ship staff with computers doing any bookings of shows and restaurants right there. Count them: 8 people, just to wait on the Suite guests and Diamond Plussers.

They were serving champagne and mimosas. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Had one. Okay, had a few. Not sure how many.

:D

Diamond Lounge: nope. You could enter, but it was empty.

Views of the Boardwalk: Incredible. Watched the zipliners for a while.

I still say that there should be an onboard excursion of shooting at the zipliners. Royal Caribbean could make a FORTUNE. Much more environmentally sensitive than skeetshooting clay pigeons.

Looked upstairs (CL is two stories). Upstairs is the area for the Chef's Table. REALLY cool decor up there. Pics later.

I think that I have used up my free 45 minutes - using their computers, not composing on LL's computer and posting, which I will start doing, since that's also the only way to pictures into my posts.

Good bye for now.

Try not to add *too many* posts - I'll have to wade through them to start posting again.

I'm happy to answer specific questions, of course.

Over and out for now.

Love,

Merion Mom

:)

Hey there Carol :) smiling at your posts and what was LL thinking to forget her camera on one of the most important cruises ever.:eek:

Here you two are waving at us :D

tl00001045.jpg

Hi Merion Mom I to am very thankful that you will be posting a live review. I just LOVE THEM! I am curious as to what the dessert is in the pic and do they serve it on Oasis.

I sail in two weeks and am anxious for all info I can get so please keep it coming!!

Hello all,

We sailed on the Oasis Labadee Extravaganza 4 nighter last December. We had the same impression of the room. Nice, but hardly any storage. I never seem to hear any comments abount the night stands. Tiny, with no drawer. I think RCI really cheaped out with the night stands. I like to keep things in the night table drawer...lip balm, glasses, etc. I would up picking everything up off of the floor in the morning, as I knocked them off of the tiny tabletop during the night. This one little thing drove me nuts!

We loved the ship, but I think we love the Freedom class better, due to larger, or better laid out staterooms.

Pat

Carol, your description of your D1 cabin made me laugh. You are sooo absolutely correct. We had the same observations! Loved our cruise, hated the cabin. IF we ever go back to the Oasis, would never do it unless we had a JS but they are asking an arm and leg for suites so likley we won't be back there again. By the way our cabin steward did give us a lounge chair,,,,after we slipped him a $10;)

The rooms are tiny, we had D8 balcony category on Oasis, barely enough room for 2 people and thats it! They are smaller so you have to book another room for your kids. As far as the nightstands go, I too ended up with everything on the floor the next AM, including the phone. The sink and vanity space is TINY in the bathroom, not enough space to put your makeup.

Hi Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will display my signature on just this post, so that anyone who wants to check out any of my previous "LIVE LIVE LIVE with Merion Mom" threads can do so. After that, I will suppress it, as usual. :)

I am traveling with LadyLawyer. We flew into Fort Lauderdale on Friday afternoon, and got the Hilton's free shuttle from airport to hotel.

Hot & humid as can be in Florida. Airconditioning is SUCH a wonderful invention!

LL forgot her camera, so after we threw out luggage into our REALLY nice, free-upgraded Concierge level room (don't you just love that word, "upgraded"? Not heard on the Oasis this week, by the way), we got a taxi to take us to Wally World, a place that I DO NOT PATRONIZE.

They actually had a very nice selection of cameras, and LL selected one, and I answered the siren call of a brand new, smaller-than-my-regular-camera video camera. Yes, on impulse, I bought a video camera. So there will be *moving pitchers* later. :)

Check in was as fast and efficient as everyone else has already described. Arrived at the port at 11 a.m.

I just love the little retiree check-in staff. They are so adorable, and so genuinely happy that you are going on a cruise.

We decided to have a "Welcome Aboard" photo taken, which we usually avoid by running right by the photogs. After all, this IS the Oasis!

Sat down in the waiting area about 11:15 - just chairs, but stations for beverages - for just a few minutes. There was an announcement that the ship was not yet ready for boarding, but that they would let us know when it was.

Then they called "Suites may now board." Ten seconds later: "Diamond Plus may now board". Ten seconds later: "Diamond may now board". Caused a slight mad rush for the "DING" machines, but it was ok. A quick trip up the boarding ramps, another slight bottleneck of the door to the Oasis itself, then there we were.

The Oasis of the Seas.

Between the two of us, LL and I have been on all classes of RC ships, and most of the ships themselves.

We said to each other, and others, more than once, "it is as though we've never been on a cruise before". We are so accustomed to walking onto a new ship, but knowing where everything is.

If you've been on Explorer, and go on Voyager, (the sequence of my first three cruises: Explorer, Explorer, Voyager), then you know where each feature & venue is located.

On the Oasis, all bets are off. A whole new lay out. It's not just the sheer size - there is little familiarity. Yes, the Royal Promenade is still on Deck 5. (thank goodness! SOMETHING we can remember!)

I am going to continue to break this up into smallish, manageable posts. So, this is the end of THIS post. :D

Hi Carol and Lorna,

LOVE your report. Tell Lorna the desert looks like

BON BONB BOOSTIES!!!! :p:p

ENJOY:D

Ira and Marsha

The Oasis of the Seas.

We will be on Oasis in 2 weeks, cannot wait. I love reading your information about Oasis. I know after this Oasis cruise, every ship I go on will be just okay. Thanks for sending pictures,enjoy your cruise.

Archived