What Should We Avoid?

Mysteryreader

We're sailing tomorrow on the Caribbean Princess. In the past we've always had the "this time we're going to watch what we eat" attitude then we completely get carried away and every good intention gets blown to kingdom come. (Witness our time on Celebrity Summit where the final evening dh found out there's a pizza bar and had to check it out at 11:00 pm.) Diet-wise (and I don't mean we're on weight-reduction diets, just that we don't want to ruin our usually sensible eating), what are the real calorie bombs on Princess?

M/R

Gotta be the Fettucini Alfredo . . .

My philosophy is to go ahead and have anything I want at dinner(including a small portion of the fettucini at least once a cruise). But I'm careful to avoid "mindless" eating: i.e., I ignore the bread basket, I don't snack between meals, I don't eat much more for breakfast and lunch than I do at home (yogurt, fruit, a salad). I usually end up losing weight on a cruise, from a little to a lot (a whole dress size on one longer cruise -- made for a very interesting last formal night!), probably from the increased exercise that makes up for eating more, richer food than at home.

Unless it has changed recently, the Horizon Court Coffee is not the best. But the subject has been done to death on CC.

As bad as it is, I'd hardly characterize it as a "calorie bomb" . . . that's at least one good thing it's got going for it!

Breads, rolls, pastries, most of the stuff at the International Cafe in the mornings (there are healthy choices there later in the day). If you're going to splurge on french toast or pancakes or eggs benedict or bacon, go to the dining room...the quality is much higher than at the buffet (I mean, why waste the calories if it's not really, really good). The cheeses are my downfall. I've heard the pizza is excellent (never had a piece on Princess), the burgers are great. Skip the veggie burger...still haven't figured that out. Those frou-frou umbrella drinks contain a bazillion calories and go down much too fast.

And don't graze in the buffet after dinner and a show. That 24 hour buffet makes it a little too easy to go up for a bedtime snack.

I would say avoid hurricanes.....earthquakes.....any other natural disaster....

As far as food....go for it all....but only take a taste or two....just visualize this is NOT the clean plate club cruise

I always have desserts but only a bite. I don't hold back tasting or denying myself of anything I want to eat (exception 1 whole warm chocolate chip cookie each day) and I found every cruise I have lost weight.

We found breakfast in the dining room or continental on the balcony kept us away from temptation...do not go anywhere near the cake and dessert displays...skip lunch...do the afternoon tea in the dining room, it is very nice and a little cake wont kill you...then a late dinner...even with dessert every night survived 6 weeks and did not put on any weight..."post cruise blues" now that is another story!!!

Creme brulee is a calorie bomb--but I'm not going to pass it up. I try to eat sensibly the rest of the week. I ordered the fruit plate for dessert many nights on our cruise last month. It was better than most of the desserts--but not better than the creme brulee or the chocolate hazelnut souffle.

I would say just eat in moderation. If there is something that is high calorie that you really want and might not typically be a part of your diet at home - just have a part of it. There are lots of choices that are healthy and I find that if I mix those choices with a few of the things I love to eat on a cruise but not at home like hamburgers and fries I don't tend to gain weight on a cruise. I don't typically work out on a cruise but on my next one I plan on using the gym as well to keep those calories in check.

We're sailing tomorrow on the Caribbean Princess. In the past we've always had the "this time we're going to watch what we eat" attitude then we completely get carried away and every good intention gets blown to kingdom come. (Witness our time on Celebrity Summit where the final evening dh found out there's a pizza bar and had to check it out at 11:00 pm.) Diet-wise (and I don't mean we're on weight-reduction diets, just that we don't want to ruin our usually sensible eating), what are the real calorie bombs on Princess?

M/R

I was once on the Ocean Princess for 18 days and the chef created a different Souffle every day sent hot to our table. I gained 12 pounds on that cruise. I was not a very good girl....all good intentions aside!

LOL

Jan

I would say avoid hurricanes.....earthquakes.....any other natural disaster....

As far as food....go for it all....but only take a taste or two....just visualize this is NOT the clean plate club cruise

I always have desserts but only a bite. I don't hold back tasting or denying myself of anything I want to eat (exception 1 whole warm chocolate chip cookie each day) and I found every cruise I have lost weight.

If only we could:rolleyes::eek:

Archived