Lack of Stockholder Benefit

J&KCruiser

As a loyal Royal Caribbean traveler, we book on board both RCL & =X= and so get the OBC. We are loyal and believe in the Company so by the Stock. Get no dividend for holding the stock.

Now they let you combine Future/next cruise with other coupons for max OBC's. Stockholders still get nothing extra to combine.

If you are listening (RCI) why not something extra on board for Stockholders. Maybe some extra drinks, internet minutes, bottle of wine, free laundry... I am sure there are many other small perks that RCI could provide that have minimal internal cost.

Maybe we need to start a large list and forward on to RCI.

John

The only benefit for any stock is an increase in the value of investment. How many stocks give additional benefits? With that being said, I too miss the ability to combine credits and would love to see it restored, but I'm not holding my breath. You can still get a stockholder benefit if you don't have an OBC. RCL stock has moved up nicely the last few weeks and I hope it continues.

I got the OBC from my TA, not directly from X as far as I know. Can I get any stockholder benefit?

Thanks, Cathy

You can usually combine a credit from a TA with a stockholder credit. I'm doing this for a December cruise.

I have been a shareholder for years. We booked our next cruise without any special coupons or discounts. I look at the shareholder benefit as a "freebie" that came with the stock. My TA usually gives me an OBC and that is allowed.

I don't think the cruise line really cares about a bunch of passenegrs buying 100 shares of stock. The benefit was just an added perk. BTW... I also own their bonds.

Sorry, but why should RCCL give freebies out to people for owning their stock? Virtually no companies do this. If you waltz into McDonalds as a shareholder, you don't get a free Big Mac. If you own Home Depot stock, you can't go in there and take home a free bag of mulch. That RCCL gives OBC under some circumstances is more than generous. I take advantage of it when I can, but am certainly not upset when I am not able to obtain the OBC. BTW, owning 100 shares of a company with as large a float as RCCL has is just a speck of sand; it does not merit special recognition.

As for the dividend, that is great for shareholders that they do not have one at this moment. They have lots of debt that needs to be paid down before they should consider a dividend. Paying down the debt will do far more for your investment than a dividend would do. If you want a dividend sell a share every quarter and pretend it is your dividend - that is about the same way a dividend works; dividends are not free money (the stock value drops by the same amount as the dividend that is paid out).

As a loyal Royal Caribbean traveler, we book on board both RCL & =X= and so get the OBC. We are loyal and believe in the Company so by the Stock. Get no dividend for holding the stock.

Now they let you combine Future/next cruise with other coupons for max OBC's. Stockholders still get nothing extra to combine.

If you are listening (RCI) why not something extra on board for Stockholders. Maybe some extra drinks, internet minutes, bottle of wine, free laundry... I am sure there are many other small perks that RCI could provide that have minimal internal cost.

Maybe we need to start a large list and forward on to RCI.

John

RCCL could rectify this if they made the OBC a smaller amount and this combinable. That is what HAL does. On a 7 night cruise in an OV the credit is $25.00pp, $50.00pp in a Veranda, and $75.00 in a Suite (Someone can correct me if I am wrong).

Note that we do not own RCCL stock.

Now with the changes in policies on RCCL/Celebrity/Azamara we don't see an advantage to booking early while onboard a ship.

No reason to hold the stock? Oh I disagree. If all you ever do is book onboard for your upcoming cruise, maybe you can make that case. But I never have booked on board, and the stockholder credit, for me, is a huge deal. Tax-free money is way better than a dividend.

If you do NOT book all of your cruises while on board X or RCCL, then the stock holder benefit comes into play. So I have $500 coming for my next 2 cruises. :D

This is true. However, if you take a diamond (or platinum) balcony discount you cannot combine it. Since we prefer balcony staterooms our stockholder OBC is not allowed. Bummer...Especially since I've lost money on the stock!:cool:

Some very valid points regarding why to own stock and not to own stocks have been made. But RCI has decided to give OBC to stockholder as a benefit. My thoughts are that they are not equal to all shareholders so I asked could they offer some minimal cost item/service to those stockholders that do not get to utilize the OBC.

Or maybe they should be equal and not offer the Stockholder OBC to anybody and end the whole issue. I would still travel with RCI.

No benefit. OK. I won't go into what I bought my stock at because I think that's kind of like listing out what I paid for a SR. Someone always then feels cheated or another has to list the 'better' deal they got even if they really don't own stock. Suffice to say my RCL has done better than any other stock I own and I've got $1000 in OBC for previous and upcoming cruises which beats dead any on onboard reservation deals.

So I'll stick with this bad deal stock. By the way on our last cruise there was a Stockholders reception with free drinks. Not a biggie but beats out most coupons especially a $1 off a bottle of catsup.

Den

So I'll stick with this bad deal stock. By the way on our last cruise there was a Stockholders reception with free drinks. Not a biggie but beats out most coupons especially a $1 off a bottle of catsup.

Den

Denny, did I miss that one?:confused:

Hi,

I am a Royal Caribbean stockholder and usually book my cruises at home either through a travel agent or on Celebrity's Web site. I appreciate receiving the onboard credit. Also, I purchased my stock in November 2008 for $6.50 a share. Considering that it closed at $34.01 a share today, I am glad that I purchased the stock.

Chuck

See post #9 in this thread.

:D Yeah, I see that.

Denny and I were on the "last" cruise together -- I just don't recall the stockholder's reception. I tried to get to all of them. Maybe I was there, and it was named something else. :D

I can understand the disappointment with the change in combinability of certain benefits.

However,there are no doubt many stockholders that do not book balcony cabins or book on board that find the current set up reasonable including myself.

@10:50 AM stock is UP .47 to 33.11. I paid less than $20.00 per share. Believe I have a benefit.

$5.75 for me. Went out on a limb, it paid off. An open booking was the way to go, I no longer go that route.

Archived