century 10/13 cruise cancelled in Nice

ghstudio

I was thinking the same thing but afraid to post. The only scenario I could understand was with someone terminally ill and this was really their last chance to travel.

The credit, cell phone, internet, ATM with 4 digit pin (that does not start with a "1"), and travel insurance are a must.

please explain the pin?

We are cruising in January and getting ready to make final payment. I was hesitant to purchase the insurance but this has totally changed my mind. The recommendations from the previous posters are very helpful, but I am wondering why the ATM pin code can not begin with "1".

Isn't that what they did for the POD issues? PODS = Free cruise Rudders = 25%..doesn't really seem fair.

When we had the POD problem with Millie in like 2001 we got a full refund, of course, and 50% of future best deal on a cruise which we leveraged into a Royal Suite stay on the Century a few weeks later. Of course, we weren't on Millie yet, this was like 3-4 weeks out, but it was a good compensation deal we thought for sure!

Jeff

When we had the POD problem with Millie in like 2001 we got a full refund, of course, and 50% of future best deal on a cruise which we leveraged into a Royal Suite stay on the Century a few weeks later. Of course, we weren't on Millie yet, this was like 3-4 weeks out, but it was a good compensation deal we thought for sure!

Jeff

That's where I think the 25% sucks. People have spent thousands getting to the Cruise and that's gone and isn't recoverable. People who had upcoming cruises cancelled because of the PODS really got a great deal. Headaches and disappointment, but a pretty good cruise deal. I remember it being called the POD Lottery back then ;)

Agree with Harcin. Seems like there were more than a few whiners on this cruise. Anyone who expects travel today to be free of incidents should not travel. Stuff happens, unfortunately, whether it's weather, strikes, hijackings norovirus, equipment failures, delayed flights, etc. You have to be flexible in today's travel environment. I do not see where Celebrity fell short in dealing with the situation. There are no spare ships at the ready to replace a ship with a major mechanical problem. To offer a full refund, a 25 percent savings on a future cruise, and transportation back to Barcelona seems fair to me. But for 200 people to (if the reports of passengers is correct) mill around at 1 a.m. demanding immediate assistance, compensation, alternative arrangements, etc. seemed counter productive I would have been grateful to Celebrity for taking the ship out of service for my safety, regardless of the any personal inconvenience. I still look forward to boarding the Century Oct. 25 and am hoping all the unhappy people are gone.

You were not there...and to sit at home and tell the folks that were there that they should just have a stiff upper lip, make their own arrangements with no help at all from Celebrity is just insulting.

I was there, I will be posting extensively tomorrow when I return home.

please explain the pin?

I was told (at least by Bank of America) that many if not most ATM's in Europe will not accept a pin number that starts with a "1". Maybe it is with a "0". I know I was told "1" by a bank teller because I changed mine. I was heading to Italy if it makes any difference. Also, you need an ATM card with a Visa or Mastercard logo.

The point being through all these 8000 odd posts that they would become wise to the language of 'English' I have never been to Canada does that mean that I shouldnt know they speak French and English there?(Amongst others):)

Im sorry but the International language is English! Me, I speak gaelic and Cantonese oh and English.:) I can even pretend to talk aussie !! lol

struth !!! Oy wheres the Dunnie ?, Alright bruce !!!....

Oh, please stop!!!

Four of us were on this cruise and just got home this evening. We were left to our own devices and even though the staff said that the phones and internet were free..it was next to impossible to gain access. It took us 51 minutes on our own cell phone at $2.49/minute (because we were aboard the ship) to get our flights on Delta airlines changed. We were given a "present" by Delta of the $250/person change fee, but still were charged a whopping $2167.40 per person fee to fly out of Nice today via JFK and then on to Pittsburgh, PA. We also had to pay for our hotel room in Nice last night, plus food costs..those going on the bus to Barcelona had the ten hour ride to endure, but got a free one night hotel room. We got nothing in the way of lodging reimbursement.

Now I probably will have a battle to wage with Delta about the exhorbitant ticket fee and the insurance company to see how much they will reimburse us for the interrupted cruise, etc. I also was told by the staff that I must write to Miami to let them know of our displeasure at the handling of this cancelled cruise. There was an enormous breakdown in the dissemination of information. Everything had to be printed and then handed out to the individual staterooms. We received letters telling us that another letter would be forthcoming later in the evening. We finally received a note at 12:15 am telling us to be at the theatre at 5 am ready to disembark. Some cabins got colored luggage tags, others got nothing at all. All this information could have been quickly posted on the tv in cabins and onboard the ship at the various sites where they have tv monitors. All in all, it was quite frustrating for all onboard. I hope to never have to experience this in my life ever again.

Ouch, having to buy airfare at that price! I know when I had my transatlantic on the century all planned - I had found very economical airfare. If this had happened on my cruise, I can't imagine having to deal with different flight dates, booking airfare at the last minute - and having to make all those changes on board the ship. It was hard enough for me to make calls on my rental global phone, unless it was to the US.

Easy to say all those things like roll with the punches, make lemonade when life hands you lemons - but really to be in that situation and have no control over a vacation you thought had been planned out well in advance / little to no help from the overwhelmed ship's crew - tough way to be spending a much anticipated vacation. To aadios and all the others on board, I hope your extra costs get picked up by trip insurance.

Major travel insurance companies have a 24 hr/7 day a week emergency travel assistance number you can call from anywhere in the world.

They can work with you on the spot to make alternate travel arrangements - including air and hotel with the least amount of damage to your wallet.

Major travel insurance companies have a 24 hr/7 day a week emergency travel assistance number you can call from anywhere in the world.

They can work with you on the spot to make alternate travel arrangements - including air and hotel with the least amount of damage to your wallet.

Good to know - thanks for posting!

I think you've done a stella job for your clients effected by this.

Four of us were on this cruise and just got home this evening. We were left to our own devices and even though the staff said that the phones and internet were free..it was next to impossible to gain access.

I really can't believe that Celebrity did not give passengers the opportunity to use their Choice Air Department to complete the transportation from a Celebrity cruise.

I wonder how many people do not have $10,000 "headroom" left on their credit cards for emergencies.

If you look at the contract a passenger is pretty much on their own in the event of a cancellation. I wasn't on the ship and for now my clients are not looking at the past.

Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance,

postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or

any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call,

destination, lodging or activity. Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever

by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason

of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

No travel agent is going to be sleeping soundly until their clients are back at home or out of a country undergoing a strike that has affected rail, air and could potentially for days. I have always said that having an agent and or insurance policy available 24/7 has never been for price drops or cabin changes. It is rare events like these that anyone considering a cruise should use a travel agent.

I wanted to add something else if anyone reading this ever finds themselves facing this type of disruption:

Save all letters from the supplier and also save all receipts. When it comes time to file a claim, it will be important to have all supporting documentation.

Chuck

No travel agent is going to be sleeping soundly until their clients are back at home or out of a country undergoing a strike that has affected rail, air and could potentially for days. I have always said that having an agent and or insurance policy available 24/7 has never been for price drops or cabin changes. It is rare events like these that anyone considering a cruise should use a travel agent.

I have made my own travel arrangements for years, but I may have to rethink that. It would be helpful to just need to make 1 call, and have someone to field plane tickets, hotel reservations, etc - in the event of things totally falling apart like this.

I was told (at least by Bank of America) that many if not most ATM's in Europe will not accept a pin number that starts with a "1". Maybe it is with a "0". I know I was told "1" by a bank teller because I changed mine. I was heading to Italy if it makes any difference. Also, you need an ATM card with a Visa or Mastercard logo.

Absolutely NOT TRUE - ATM pin codes that start with '1' are not an issue,

That´s definitely not true.

Our German banks do hand out both, PINs starting with a 0 or an 1. I had both and never hand any problems.

An ATM card with a VISA or Mastercard logo would be a credit card and no ATM card. Of course you can get money with your credit card using its PIN. I assume he was talking about the MAESTRO logo. That´s the international logo for ATM cards which can be used all over the world to withdraw money.

steamboats

I've had a few credit/debit cards using PINs and never experienced that problem. Strange that a well known bank would say that.

This may be the case in the USA but again we have the mix between what an agent or insurance company will do in the USA vs what happens in the UK

In the UK your insurer is available 24 x7 but only to give advice regarding what is covered by your claim and to authorise immediate spend (ie if you were in a hospital and doctors needed agreement before they would start - believe me that does happen!). Otherwise you will be told here is what you can claim for, here is the evidence we need and off you go.

The trouble is in situations like this passengers will have different terms and conditions, different insurers rules etc etc. It does not excuse a lack of support by the cruiseline though. The more you read this, the more you sense the fixation was to get to the dockyard and save future cruises (from a bean counters perspective of course your aim is to minimise loss) but had all the circumstances been properly assessed? They were in a tender port with no port disembarkation facilities in a country with a general strike in place and their location was not near to a major air hub. Maybe this was all considered but it is not coming over that way

Perhaps if they had taken a day or two longer to deal with the passengers on this cruise and delayed the start of the transatlantic by two days (it would be easier to put that group up in Spain than it will be to cope with the situation in France) that would have made far more sense - sorry I know those of you with the Transatlantic may not agree with that statement - just trying to take an objective view

Luckily, our next "across the pond" cruise is confined to one specific area (British Isles) where I hope they do not strike as often & all speak English!

hcat - I think this may have been the line that caused the comments from some. If you had reversed the phrases to "where they all speak English and I hope they do not strike as often", Scotsnomad might have not taken offense.:) Just a possibility.

Archived