Balloons in the Princess Theater

fisheswithbears

We sailed on the Sea Princess in September to Alaska roundtrip from San Diego. We had a good cruise, met nice people, and ate too much as always. One thing sticks in my mind and made a wonderful impression on me. On the night of the crew talent show, to get the ball rolling, staff members tossed out hundreds of balloons. Seated passengers blew up the balloons and then the fun really started. People were having the time of their lives batting the balloons back and forth. Some probably got more exercise and laughed harder than they did during the rest of the cruise.

My only regret is I didn't have my camera at the time.

Has anybody seen this on other ships? I've never seen it mentioned on CC.

You know.... I'd never been to a crew talent night until our last voyage on Sea Princess... what a hoot! There were many very talented singers/dancers among the crew. It was the best show that we attended. And yes, before the festivities started, they let us bat about some balloons... much fun and highly recommended.

On our Crown Transatlantic voyage, we also had the balloons that night. They also had a few the night of the party in the piazza as well as streamers to throw from the balcony. Lots of fun, but I can't imagine the poor people cleaning up the mess!!!

Does anyone know if they do this on the Crown? I know it sounds odd, but my wife cannot be around balloons. It would seriously hamper our cruise experience if she was caught in a room with balloons all around her. If so, is it always a crew talent night or some such that we can make a point to avoid?

I did wonder about people with a latex allergy, but you could leave if it caused a problem. It was the first talent show we had been to on Princess and we were very impressed and will attend whenever the opportunity comes again.

Kudos to whoever thought of the balloon idea. I've never seen such a simple activity get so many people fired up and happy!

Yes, we've had the balloons on Princess a few times. The first time we experienced it was on a couple of NCL cruises a few years ago. It's a great ice-breaker. You can't help but get in the spirit of the thing, and soon everyone is laughing and batting the balloons around like mad.

Does anyone know if they do this on the Crown? I know it sounds odd, but my wife cannot be around balloons. It would seriously hamper our cruise experience if she was caught in a room with balloons all around her. If so, is it always a crew talent night or some such that we can make a point to avoid?

The crew talent show is re-broadcast on your cabin TV, so you don't have to miss out seeing it because of the balloons.

On the final night, there is a menu called Landfall menu in the dining rooms, and on every Princess ship we've been on there are red, white and blue balloons attached to each table's centerpiece. If it's an allergy thing, it would be easy enough to ask to have them removed from your table. If it's a fear thing, I definitely suggest avoiding the dining room the final night of the cruise. Also, there are occasionally a few balloons that get loose and float to the top of the atrium (Piazza), so she might see those the first couple of days of the cruise until they come down.

There may be other balloon events on board that I just haven't noticed, but hopefully someone else on this thread will point them out.

It happened on several of our cruises, but on one of these cruises one of the last balloons surviving was batted up into one of the "opera" balconies and a woman stood up and stomp!...stomp!....Stomped on the balloon!... until it broke! :mad:....she was booed by most of the theater as most were having fun time!

It shows how much fun can be had with ten dollars worth of balloons it entertained all off us for half an hour each time we go to the crew show

They should try it at some off the shows where the acts are out of date give each passenger a balloon on entry and make your own fun

Davaller

We sailed on the Sea Princess in September to Alaska roundtrip from San Diego. We had a good cruise, met nice people, and ate too much as always. One thing sticks in my mind and made a wonderful impression on me. On the night of the crew talent show, to get the ball rolling, staff members tossed out hundreds of balloons. Seated passengers blew up the balloons and then the fun really started. People were having the time of their lives batting the balloons back and forth. Some probably got more exercise and laughed harder than they did during the rest of the cruise.

My only regret is I didn't have my camera at the time.

Has anybody seen this on other ships? I've never seen it mentioned on CC.

Yes, we just had that on the Ruby Princess last week!! Too too funny!

I love the crew talent show especially "If I were not upon the sea. . ." and my wife always wants to sit down front. On out last cruise, Sea Princess I believe, we were in the second row and thoroughly enjoying batting the balloons around when I heard my wife scream "STOP":confused:. I thought she had been hit/hurt by a balloon-Turns out her brand new (very expensive) glasses had been caught by a balloon and were now in the free for all. We had left for Hong Kong on a previous cruise so we would have time to get her some light weight, formal night type glasses-You know, you go to Hong Kong for 4 nights so you can save a few$$$$ getting designer glasses at a bargain rate.

Long story but the glasses were in the lap of the folks behind and all turned out well:D

And the show was as good as I remembered it.;)

They did this on the CB last week, it was great fun for everyone! THe whole crew talent show was by far the best of any show they had all week! I want to bring a bag of balloons on my next cruise and see if we can do this same thing if i'm on another cruise line! lol :D

-David

Archived