Now That We've Had Time to get Used to Them?

sail7seas

What do you think about e-docs now that we've had time to get used to them?

I find I'm happier about them than I expected to be.

At first I missed the paper docs but it's funny how we get used to the things we initially resist.

Can't say I'm happy with them, but can't say I'm unhappy, either. Guess I really have no strong opinion on them, so long as I get aboard. That's what matters most.

I will not print out luggage tags, though. HAL can still provide those for me, in any fashion they so desire.

Used to get all excited when the blue folders arrived -- that made the upcoming cruise feel "real". :) Once the doc folder delivery was discontinued, going online and buying a wine card made the cruise feel "real". :) Now that's been discontinued. Seeing the charge for the cruise fare on the credit card statement just isn't the same. I'm desperately seeking something else that will make the cruise feel "real".

I don't mind the e-docs, but miss the excitement.

My few printed e-Docs, boarding passes, itinerary, airline reservations and a few more pieces of very important paperwork are all packed into my lil' ol Blue Cloth folder waiting to go into my carry on:D

Thankfully, we were able to do one cruise before the folders went away. It is a treasure and I look forward to seeing the Green with envy looks from fellow passengers at the terminal who will recognize it for what it once meant:)

Joanie

I remember being horrified, destroyed, beyond hope, and just generally ripped about not getting the FedEx mailer with our blue pleather folder inside. Once it arrived I used to spend hours pouring through every little slip of paper in the folder, checking and double checking the numerous pages of the ticket making sure everything was correct, reading every description of every shore excursion at every port, and just sitting on the couch holding the folder rocking back and forth with this warm, fuzzy feeling. Of course that was after days and days of worrying about would it show up or what if I'm not home and the FedEx guy doesn't leave it or hope noboby steals it from my front porch or what if it rained or snowed on it before I got home from work. Internally...well even sometimes outloud....my soul was shouting "I'm going on a cruise! I'm really going on a cruise and here's the proof!" Then I'd put it away but then remember I couldn't remember reading some detail so I'd have to get it out again then put it away then get it out again and so on. Of course that was after I fretted about what was the best location and would I remember where it was or what would happen if the house burnt down or somebody broke in and stole my little pleather folder. Periodically I'd have to check to make sure it was still there and maybe even hold it again, feeling a bit like Gollum in Lord of the Rings holding "My Precious". So here I am now with nothing but a computer link and that's really hard to hold. I know....I've tried and the computer is just way to heavy plus the wife doesn't like it on the couch. OK, OK....I've got problems. Guess I need to talk to a shrink....oh wait...I am one. The real truth, after a bit of initial shock and maybe minor disappointment, I really like the e-docs. I do print out the luggage tag and one is hung on the overhead of my desk in our office. Occasionally I still take it down and hold it...oh yes...My Precious. That reminds me....I haven't held it today. See you all later. :D

Thankfully, we were able to do one cruise before the folders went away. It is a treasure and I look forward to seeing the Green with envy looks from fellow passengers at the terminal who will recognize it for what it once meant:)

Oh, Joanie, I don't think anyone waiting to board will pay much attention to your blue folder. ;) All eyes will be on the Dam ship. :D

... I do print out the luggage tag and one is hung on the overhead of my desk in our office. Occasionally I still take it down and hold it...oh yes...My Precious. That reminds me....I haven't held it today. See you all later. :D

One tag to rule us all, One tag to find us,

One tag to bring us all, and in the brightness bind us! :D

We too like the convenience of the new e-docs, and the fact that we're not hauling a lot of extra paper. But, we miss the blue folders -- DW was smart enough to keep the ones we had, and we still use them.

Dave

I remember being horrified, destroyed, beyond hope, and just generally ripped about not getting the FedEx mailer with our blue pleather folder inside. Once it arrived I used to spend hours pouring through every little slip of paper in the folder, checking and double checking the numerous pages of the ticket making sure everything was correct, reading every description of every shore excursion at every port, and just sitting on the couch holding the folder rocking back and forth with this warm, fuzzy feeling. Of course that was after days and days of worrying about would it show up or what if I'm not home and the FedEx guy doesn't leave it or hope noboby steals it from my front porch or what if it rained or snowed on it before I got home from work. Internally...well even sometimes outloud....my soul was shouting "I'm going on a cruise! I'm really going on a cruise and here's the proof!" Then I'd put it away but then remember I couldn't remember reading some detail so I'd have to get it out again then put it away then get it out again and so on. Of course that was after I fretted about what was the best location and would I remember where it was or what would happen if the house burnt down or somebody broke in and stole my little pleather folder. Periodically I'd have to check to make sure it was still there and maybe even hold it again, feeling a bit like Gollum in Lord of the Rings holding "My Precious". So here I am now with nothing but a computer link and that's really hard to hold. I know....I've tried and the computer is just way to heavy plus the wife doesn't like it on the couch. OK, OK....I've got problems. Guess I need to talk to a shrink....oh wait...I am one. The real truth, after a bit of initial shock and maybe minor disappointment, I really like the e-docs. I do print out the luggage tag and one is hung on the overhead of my desk in our office. Occasionally I still take it down and hold it...oh yes...My Precious. That reminds me....I haven't held it today. See you all later. :D

Randy, I can actually "SEE" you sitting there on the couch holding the monitor tightly!! ROFLMFAO!!!

Best post of the day!!!!

Joanie

Going out to the mailbox and finding that little parcel from the cruise line was a great feeling indeed. The last one we got was delivered during an late snow storm. Having something in your hand that said "warmth is but a short time away" is something that I miss. Logging onto a computer is just not the same.

I can print my own e-docs and have done so for airlines and cruises.

BUT I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT.

I think this is just another cost saving item. I refused to print my own boarding passes for airlines, and even when the agent took me to a self sign in kiosk, acted like I didn't know the first thing about computers, thus making her go through all the steps to print the boarding passes. That is part of the service that goes along with flying with any particular airline, or cruising with any particular cruiseline.

I just made a trip to San Francisco and thought I'd expedite the process, so went online to print my own boarding pass at home. I had purchased these tickets in May, for a trip in September. Not by credit card, but by debit card, so they had their money in May. It wouldn't let me print my boarding pass, telling me to see a United Rep at the airport. We arrived at the airport to a line that was an hour long wait. There were 5 reps when we got in the line. 3 of them immediately left on break. That line went from about 50 people to 200 people so quickly. When two of the gals came back, one exclaimed "OH MY GOD!". Finally get to the counter, and she told me I could have gone to the self service kiosk, I showed her the print out saying to see a United Rep. She clicked away on the computer and said "it wants me to look at the credit card you used to purchase the tickets". I showed her my debit card and waalaa, she printed the boarding passes.

Now for the return, I went on the computer at the hotel, printed my friends boarding pass, but it still wouldn't let me print mine. I went to the self service kiosk at the airport and it reported to me that it could not locate me or my ticket number. SO AGAIN to the long line waiting for the reps. When I got to the counter, he looked under my ticket number and got the same message I had. Then he went searching for my name and still couldn't find me. After about 20 minutes, he finally found my outbound then was able to print my boarding pass for the return flight.

If the day ever comes that they do away with reps at the airport or cruiseline, is the day I will stop traveling. There are just too many variables to leave it to the passengers to do their own ticketing, printing boarding passes, etc. I would gladly pay $20-25 to have them print my tickets and luggage tags, if they indeed DO IT, and don't expect me to do their jobs.

I still have my first Dark Blue Pleather folder that our documents came in for our Alaska cruise in 1999, and I use it for my travel documents no matter where or with whom I am traveling. The Bright Royal Blue Satin folder we received for our Alaska Cruisetour in 2007 didn't even last the 11 days of the trip before they started falling apart, and once we got home, went in the trash.

Overall I like the edocs except for two things:

1. The paper luggage tags require a stapler at the hotel. Duh. We sure don't want to pack one.

2. The online check-in requires you to enter the same information multiple times for others in your cabin. I can't find a way to copy contact info etc.. for my wife and daughters in the same cabin. It is very tedious.

I like the e-docs. I like knowing I can reprint them if I loose something. I do have a blue folder from a previous cruise and use it. I think if I didn't have it I could easily find something to keep my documents in. Printing my own luggage tags is OK too. I didn't like them in the beginning and went through all the work of laminating them. Next cruise, I just covered them with clear packing tape. Now, I have the new HAL luggage tags and can just slip the paper ones in them. Easy.

1. The paper luggage tags require a stapler at the hotel. Duh. We sure don't want to pack one.

2. The online check-in requires you to enter the same information multiple times for others in your cabin. I can't find a way to copy contact info etc.. for my wife and daughters in the same cabin. It is very tedious.

The last three cruises I checked us in for online the information I entered for myself was held and carried it over to my DH. I was so happy to see I no longer had to re-enter the same info.

What do people who are not on computers do? There are some of them you know.

Their TA's can complete the information on line and provide to their client. In fact, I notice there's a block to check on the HAL website if you're a TA completing the information on behalf of a client.

Here's a tip we learnt from our TA who prints the luggage tags for us.

She punched holes in each end and attached a red ribbon. So, they packed conveniently for the flight and attached easily thereafter.

BTW Any color ribbon will work. Please don't anyone else use red; don't want your luggage mixed up with ours.:D

Used to get all excited when the blue folders arrived -- that made the upcoming cruise feel "real". :) Once the doc folder delivery was discontinued, going online and buying a wine card made the cruise feel "real". :) Now that's been discontinued. Seeing the charge for the cruise fare on the credit card statement just isn't the same. I'm desperately seeking something else that will make the cruise feel "real".

I don't mind the e-docs, but miss the excitement.

I don't miss waiting for the doc folders to arrive one bit. I used to get so anxious to see them and would be always watching for the mailman. Now it seems I have them much earlier and I love it!

Archived