Water Shoes

Garycruz

I will be visiting Labadee on my upcoming December cruise.

I have read that I will need water shoes as the beach is quite rocky. Being that I live in the Northeast and it's no longer beach weather, I'm having a hard time finding a store that carries water shoes.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to buy water shoes this time of year. Are they available for purchase on the ship?

Yes Garycruz, generally they are available on the ship at the logo gift shops. However, if Labadee is not your first stop, you may want to check the prices in some of the ports as I found they can be purchased for less off the ship. Happy sailing!!

Just came back from a cruise on EOS which stopped at Labadee and yes, water shoes are a good idea. They are available on board, but for $20. You can get them in season in places like Target, KMart, etc for about $5-7, so that makes the ships price pretty ridiculous (surprise!). Frankly, it's not that bad in Labadee to spend 4 times the price for water shoes.

You might try a sporting goods store. They often sell diving stuff. I see you live in NJ. If you live near the shore you'll find dive shops open year round too. You'll pay a bit more than the discount stores, but nowhere near the ship's price.

Crocs work too. Maybe you can find a Crocs knock off at Wal-Mart or Payless Shoes if they are out of water shoes. If you ever cruise to the Caribbean again, you will probaby find water shoes helpful. Lots of islands have broken coral or rocks on their beaches.

I have read that I will need water shoes as the beach is quite rocky. Being that I live in the Northeast and it's no longer beach weather, I'm having a hard time finding a store that carries water shoes.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to buy water shoes this time of year. Are they available for purchase on the ship?

We just found some at Kohl's.

Crocs have a variety of great beach shoes...ironically, their "beach" model that you see everyone wearing is not necessarily the best one. You can order from them online. Try the QuickTrail low for a great water shoe that protects the entire foot, and won't slip off.

Hmmmm, we havent been to Labadee in 4 yrs....We didnt need water shoes. It was different then though :rolleyes:. We stayed by the Aqua park area with the blowup icebergs, we went jet skiing..

Are all the areas rocky now? I do have the "new" Labadee map and see there are new areas and sections (looks great) - We have this type of water shoe:

terrafi2.jpg

I wasnt going to pack them though!! Do we really need them??

(MAYBE MORE THAN 4 YRS!!)

I would definitely get something with a thicker sole like CruiseDivaNJ suggested. We bought the cheap water shoes that looked something like this [not this color]for an excursion to a rocky beach in Canada last October:

4145PQ2BAYL._AA300_.jpg

The rocks [even fairly smooth ones were still uncomfortable in the thin soled water shoes.

I got mine at Sports Authority.

I bought my water shoes from Sports Authority the last time also. Unfortunately, I don't have them any more. The problem is I called my local Sports Authority store and they said they sent back all the water shoes after the summer ended.

We were just in Labadee last week. (Where, oh where, did the time go???) There are two main beaches-Dragon's Tail is all rocky and best for sunbathing only. Columbus Cove is all soft, white sand in the water and on the beach. No water shoes are necessary. We rented a floating raft and floated in the warm, blue water. There are ropes and buoys in the water to prevent those who doze on their rafts from drifting out to sea. :eek: There were hardly any waves, so it was very calm.

Labadee is absolutely beautiful. It is about as close to a tropical paradise as I've ever seen. It is so easy to walk to Columbus Cove from the dock. It is about half a mile. There are also trams for those who do not care to walk. The view of the ship from Columbus Cove is incredible. Make sure to bring a camera.

Lunch, at no extra charge, was brought to the island from the ship. There were freshly grilled burgers, hot dogs, chicken, and ribs, as well as cole slaw, corn on the cob, and a couple of other side dishes. Cold drinks were also available. In fact, the Windjammer was closed that day.

So, no need to search, or pay crazy prices, for water shoes.

We were just in Labadee last week. (Where, oh where, did the time go???) There are two main beaches-Dragon's Tail is all rocky and best for sunbathing only. Columbus Cove is all soft, white sand in the water and on the beach. No water shoes are necessary. We rented a floating raft and floated in the warm, blue water. There are ropes and buoys in the water to prevent those who doze on their rafts from drifting out to sea. :eek: There were hardly any waves, so it was very calm.

Labadee is absolutely beautiful. It is about as close to a tropical paradise as I've ever seen. It is so easy to walk to Columbus Cove from the dock. It is about half a mile. There are also trams for those who do not care to walk. The view of the ship from Columbus Cove is incredible. Make sure to bring a camera.

Lunch, at no extra charge, was brought to the island from the ship. There were freshly grilled burgers, hot dogs, chicken, and ribs, as well as cole slaw, corn on the cob, and a couple of other side dishes. Cold drinks were also available. In fact, the Windjammer was closed that day.

So, no need to search, or pay crazy prices, for water shoes.

Thanks for the info. I keep reading how all the beaches in Labadee are very rocky with the possible exception of Barefoot Beach which is for suite guests only, so reading this is a pleasant surprise.

I take it Columbus Cove is the farthest beach from where they let the pax off the ship. Is that correct? Also, is it less crowded due to the long distance and maybe people not knowing about it? One last question, do they serve the food near Columbus Cove or is do you have to take the long walk/tram to get it?

From reading what you've said, it sounds like Columbus Cove is the way to go.

Archived