Bringing your own food

SusieV

Just a quick question- I don't have any "special needs" but if I was to bring a couple of pouches of my own pancake mix (it's Nutrisystem food- I want to enjoy myself but also not gain a ton of weight!), would I be able to get them made and how would I go about this?

I don't plan on bringing anything else with me but I thought it might be nice to have pancakes once or twice on the trip without going nuts on calories- I'd rather save those for desserts!

I know that they will not cook fish that are caught while on the cruise, so I really doubt they'd cook pancake mix.

As a constant dieter who has done really well on cruises (12 night TA without gaining an ounce), my suggestion would instead be to eat sensibly -- a breakfast of egg white omelets or egg beaters, fruit, maybe an english muffin, salad bar for lunch, enjoy a good dinner, skip the bread basket and only splurge on treats if they are really fantastic. There are a lot of times when I've ordered food only to find that it isn't worth the calories, so it's left on the plate. Add to that regular exercise every day of the cruise, drinking lots of water and sticking to lower calorie cocktails and you'll do fine without bringing your own food. :)

Don't mean to barge in with uninvited advice. Good luck!

If you decide to go to the breakfast buffet, you will find several NS-approved items like omelets, hard boiled eggs, cereals, and whole fruit. I don't think they have fat free yogurts. I find it impossible to stick to NS on a cruise, because there is too much temptation. I just try to eat smaller amts but always end up gaining a few pounds.

It's against the US Health inspection rules for cruise lines to accept passenger food for preparation. It's also a liability issue as cruise lines aren't going to take a chance with a passenger bringing on food items and then that passenger gets sick. Can you imagine how insane it could be if the chefs were preparing all kinds of food brought on by passengers?

You can save calories in many ways instead of asking a cruise line to prepare diet pancakes.

i know each of us differ on how we put on pounds but we came off our 9-N Thanksgiving cruise and didn't gain a pound. Used the stairs, walked many mornings and just kept it 'normal'. Did have icecream and drinks and enjoyed.

I'm afraid you'll have to figure out how to cut back a bit....the ships won't cook what you bring on, you can't bring a hotplate and by the way, why pancakes? It's what you put on them that have hi calories, not the cakes themselves.

Denny

NutriSystem pancakes have 154 calories and 30g of carbs per serving. Plain old Bisquick pancakes have 160 calories and 26g carbs. I don't know that you'd be saving anything really. Substituting diet pancakes once or twice is NOT going to make up for even one dessert. The other posters have it right -- watch portion sizes and get more exercise.

I just got back from a Thanksgiving cruise. Yes, my weight was up .6 at my Weight Watchers weigh-in on Tuesday, but I blame it on the alcohol. ;-) I drank wine every night with dinner, which is something I don't do very often at home. I also had a few drinks of the day. According to my home scale this morning, I'm under where I was the morning we left for our cruise.

I'm really looking forward to trying the Spa Cafe on Century next week. On Carnival last week, I really struggled with breakfast. The hot buffet had no good options as the oatmeal was inedible and after that I was too scared to try the Cream of Wheat. I ended up eating fruit, yogurt and Canadian bacon most mornings.

The Carnival dining room Spa choices for lunch and dinner were very good and the nutrition information was even on the menu. I've seen Celebrity dinner menus and it looks like there will be good choices there too.

I'm really looking forward to trying the Spa Cafe on Century next week. On Carnival last week, I really struggled with breakfast. The hot buffet had no good options as the oatmeal was inedible and after that I was too scared to try the Cream of Wheat. I ended up eating fruit, yogurt and Canadian bacon most mornings.

The Aqua Spa cafe on Celebrity is wonderful. We eat lunch there most days. their soups are great and so are the salads. Try the grilled salmon some day. It has to be ordered specially and takes a little time but it is entirely worth it.

I'm a bit confused. Instead of having the chef cook your pancake mix why not just order a sensible breakfast of fruit and yogurt and THEN when you get home start having your pancakes again.

We are going on the Eclipse in Jan. in AQ class. I'm already watching what I eat so that I can enjoy the wonderful food on our trip. That's why we cruise only one week a year.

Enjoy everything on your cruise.:)

Very good question.

As it turns out, I do have special needs and was planning on bringing a six pack or two of a special dietary drink (Ensure) onboard with me next sailing.

Is this subject to confiscation?

I wouldn't think so due to how many folks bring booze/wine/soda in their luggage without problems.

Very good question.

As it turns out, I do have special needs and was planning on bringing a six pack or two of a special dietary drink (Ensure) onboard with me next sailing.

Is this subject to confiscation?

I wouldn't think so due to how many folks bring booze/wine/soda in their luggage without problems.

Ensure would be considered a non-alcoholic beverage, and you are entitled to bring non-alcoholic beverages on board without issue. The problem with the OP bringing pancake mix is that the ship's kitchen would have to prepare it for her. With Ensure, there's no prep, and no one from the ship has to serve it to you.

It's the protein count. Most other pancakes don't have enough protein in them.

I do plan on having eggbeaters and such for breakfast most days but I thought it might be nice to have pancakes occasionally. I recall seeing that passengers who have issues with gluten can bring their own pancake mix so I thought they might be able to make mine as well. I certainly didn't think it would be a health & safety issue or anything like that.

Maybe I'm feeling just a tad sensitive today, but I didn't really appreciate the comments such as the one asking if I was joking. Is it really that big of a deal if I wanted the occasional "treat" breakfast while continuing to eat sensibly? I didn't think so. I've lost 107lbs in the past year and I'm well aware of how to eat to maintain. Thanks though.

Just a quick question- I don't have any "special needs" but if I was to bring a couple of pouches of my own pancake mix (it's Nutrisystem food- I want to enjoy myself but also not gain a ton of weight!), would I be able to get them made and how would I go about this?

I don't plan on bringing anything else with me but I thought it might be nice to have pancakes once or twice on the trip without going nuts on calories- I'd rather save those for desserts!

Good for you to be so dedicated, but I can think of a ton of reasons why you wouldn't be able to get your pancakes made. One would be a health concern about possible contamination of the ship's kitchen by your mix, another would be time spent by staff, etc. You might be better off to just decide that pancakes won't be on the menu for the week.

Viv

Wow, 107 pounds! Congratulations. That's major.

I don't have any comment on whether the chefs will prepare your food (perhaps with a medical letter and advance notice to Celebrity? I really don't know). But we generally manage to gain between zero and just a few pounds by limiting our serving size and walking a lot as well as using steps more than elevators (unless my knees aren't cooperating -- this has become really a problem with my back and knee issues the past few years). DH's favorite trick is to eat less than half a serving but enough so he has the benefit and enjoyment of the flavor, particularly desserts.

S

Congratulations on your wonderful achievement! You should be very proud of yourself.

Rather than bring along your own pancake mix (which I doubt will be allowed to be prepared by the staff), why not just kick up your exercise routine a bit and enjoy an occasional "real" pancake? Having a pancake or two won't pack on the lbs., and I think you'll be surprised to find you won't gain any weight. You're on vacation and you deserve a treat now and then. Don't go crazy, but a reward now and then shouldn't sabotage your efforts.

Jo-Ann

Congratulations on your wonderful achievement! You should be very proud of yourself.

Rather than bring along your own pancake mix (which I doubt will be allowed to be prepared by the staff), why not just kick up your exercise routine a bit and enjoy an occasional "real" pancake? Having a pancake or two won't pack on the lbs., and I think you'll be surprised to find you won't gain any weight. You're on vacation and you deserve a treat now and then. Don't go crazy, but a reward now and then shouldn't sabotage your efforts.

Jo-Ann

Well said. Don't worry about a few grams of fat or protein. Or trying to get the kitchen to make some whacked out food for you. Hit the gym.

Nothing better than using an elliptical or bike etc why you stare out over the ocean.

B.

I do plan on having eggbeaters and such for breakfast most days but I thought it might be nice to have pancakes occasionally. I recall seeing that passengers who have issues with gluten can bring their own pancake mix so I thought they might be able to make mine as well. I certainly didn't think it would be a health & safety issue or anything like that.

Maybe I'm feeling just a tad sensitive today, but I didn't really appreciate the comments such as the one asking if I was joking. Is it really that big of a deal if I wanted the occasional "treat" breakfast while continuing to eat sensibly? I didn't think so. I've lost 107lbs in the past year and I'm well aware of how to eat to maintain. Thanks though.

That's a great accomplishment to lose that much weight and I know that it's a major challenge to keep it off. Cruising is absolutely the worst type of vacation for this since the food is available almost 24 hours a day. You have to have a ton of willpower to say "no" to some of the delightful offerings on a daily basis.

As far as the pancake issue, I am curious as to why your pancakes have to have so much protein. If you need to eat a certain amount of protein there are better ways of getting it than in pancakes. For example, you could order an egg white omelette with all kinds of veggies in it (my favorite) or eat a low fat yogurt mixed with fruit and/or cereal, or even some smoked fish (or kippers). These are all full of protein and quite delicious.

I am pretty sure that cruise lines will not cook food brought by passengers for all the reasons already mentioned in the other posts.

Hey Susie,

I've actually followed your weight loss on your blog, it's so fantastic, I don't see why you can't take the dry mix with you, although you won't know for sure if they'll make it for you till you're there. Keep up the good work, & don't let the stumbling blocks get in your way, at this point, you can leap right over them! Talk to your N.S. support team, & see what you can eat on the cruise, & have a wonderful time, you're going to look great in your formal clothes! (I've read that you like formal:) )

I think what you have done is an amazing accomplishment Susie! I have been the better part of this year getting 35 pounds off and want to lose at least 60 more. I have PCOS and Metabolic Syndrome and so many people just think it's a matter of backing up from the table. If it were only that easy! How many women actually lose weight during a pregnancy that you know? I did to the tune of 75 pounds....but the minute I began to eat *balanced* while nursing my children, I gained weight. I also lost after the removal of tumor that I developed due to the PCOS I have, but that was only because I could not eat. For many of us, it is about what we can actually eat....it has nothing to do with what's considered healthy.

Once the holidays are over, I will be going back on my protein and veggie diet, stepping my workout up yet again, trying yet again to get rid of what I try so desperately try to get off. I haven't gained anything back this time around, but it would be nice to actually start losing again. Definitely don't be discouraged by anyone or anything!

Enjoy your upcoming cruise!

Hi Susie, I just want to say congratulations on the weight loss:)

Thanks Lois!

That's a great accomplishment to lose that much weight and I know that it's a major challenge to keep it off. Cruising is absolutely the worst type of vacation for this since the food is available almost 24 hours a day. You have to have a ton of willpower to say "no" to some of the delightful offerings on a daily basis.

As far as the pancake issue, I am curious as to why your pancakes have to have so much protein. If you need to eat a certain amount of protein there are better ways of getting it than in pancakes. For example, you could order an egg white omelette with all kinds of veggies in it (my favorite) or eat a low fat yogurt mixed with fruit and/or cereal, or even some smoked fish (or kippers). These are all full of protein and quite delicious.

I am pretty sure that cruise lines will not cook food brought by passengers for all the reasons already mentioned in the other posts.

At home, my willpower is pretty good but I am thinking on vacation it will be a lot weaker since we don't do this often. Breakfast is the easiest meal for me to eat healthy at so I wanted to stick to plan as much as possible. I like eggs but didn't want to eat them every day. I like pancakes and I'll miss them but I guess I can do without for 11 days.

Protein keeps me full so I'm less likely to snack on things like the chocolate croissants! BTW, yogurt is actually quite low in protein- most yogurts don't even qualify for a protein serving on NS unless they're Greek, and I doubt Celebrity stocks Greek yogurt.

Hey Susie,

I've actually followed your weight loss on your blog, it's so fantastic, I don't see why you can't take the dry mix with you, although you won't know for sure if they'll make it for you till you're there. Keep up the good work, & don't let the stumbling blocks get in your way, at this point, you can leap right over them! Talk to your N.S. support team, & see what you can eat on the cruise, & have a wonderful time, you're going to look great in your formal clothes! (I've read that you like formal:) )

Thanks kitty- I am bringing five formal dresses and plan to wear them all! Hopefully my mother will babysit a few nights so my husband and I can go to the specialty restaurant. I'm glad you like my blog- thanks for the kind words.

I guess I'll take a pouch or two and see what happens. Like I said, I've seen that people with Celiac can get their mix made so maybe I can too. I'll write a review when I come back. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

They have to cook breakfast for 3000 people. Imagine everyone wanted their individual meal prepared for them.

Trust me, .. not going to happen!!

Congratulations on your accomplishment! Perhaps you can try calling the cruiseline and speak with their nutrition team to see if they can get the mix for you and have it on board. That would eliminate concern over you supplying it to them, versus them getting it themselves. My BFF has Celiac and she does not bring her own ingredients with her but the ship will often accommodate her and order special needs groceries ahead of time.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

Archived