No credits for less than 7 day cruise

I agree with you! The only time I have ever seen $99 was when they had a special about 3 years ago for a $99 3rd or 4th person rate.

The RCI website homepage is currently advertising $99 cruises.

Edit....Correction....It was saying $99 it is now saying $139.

I agree with you! The only time I have ever seen $99 was when they had a special about 3 years ago for a $99 3rd or 4th person rate.

The MJ had the $99 rate(plus taxes/fees) for this weekend and next one......of course,they are gone now..

Everyone keeps talking about short cruises vs. longer cruises and the amount of money that is paid. The assumption is that people taking shorter cruises are paying less money. Money spent seems to be the key factor. So, how do you account for a seven night cruise that costs considerably more on a school vacation week than it does just one week earlier? Should the people paying so much more for exactly the same product get more credits? I have seen 7 night cruises with awesome pricing that was less than some 5 night cruises. Last year I paid less for 8 nights on Independence than I would have spend for 7 nights on Oasis. How do you design a program that takes into account cruise lenght as well as cost of the cruise?

People can hash this out as much as they want. It is almost impossible to come up with something that will be equitable to everyone. One thing is for sure, whatever RCI does about this issue people will be unhappy and the policy won't be fair to someone.

Everyone keeps talking about short cruises vs. longer cruises and the amount of money that is paid. The assumption is that people taking shorter cruises are paying less money. Money spent seems to be the key factor. So, how do you account for a seven night cruise that costs considerably more on a school vacation week than it does just one week earlier? Should the people paying so much more for exactly the same product get more credits? I have seen 7 night cruises with awesome pricing that was less than some 5 night cruises. Last year I paid less for 8 nights on Independence than I would have spend for 7 nights on Oasis. How do you design a program that takes into account cruise lenght as well as cost of the cruise?

People can hash this out as much as they want. It is almost impossible to come up with something that will be equitable to everyone. One thing is for sure, whatever RCI does about this issue people will be unhappy and the policy won't be fair to someone.

I think the recent $99 Majesty cruise (which many regular CC'ers seem to be on now) got this started. But I certainly agree with you that coming up with a fair program won't be easy and that whatever is done will make some unhappy. I just know it irks me that I received 1 credit for my recent 9 night cruise and they will also get 1 credit for their wknd cruise. (And I'm such a pleasant, easy going guy that I can't help but think it must bother others too.)

Credits for days cruised would be a much fairer system. Find it hard to believe anyone could argue with that one, but looking forward to the replies already!

You're due to be disappointed. No matter what system is in place there will always be some who claim that it doesn't treat them fairly. Suite passengers do not necessarily spend more onboard than passengers in lower category rooms, and guests who sail frequently in those rooms may well provide more overall revenue to the cruiseline than someone who books a suite for their one cruise a year. Free drinks in the concierge lounge can dramatically reduce bar revenues and onboard purchases don't necessarily reflect what a person paid for his or her stateroom. A first time cruiser may spend more on photos and souvenirs and other incidentals than a veteran cruiser. Someone sailing on a ship with a variety of extra cost alternative restaurants are likely to provide RCI with more revenue than someone who is on a ship with only one or two alternative dining venues. How about those who paid for a lower category but received a complimentary upgrade to a JS or Suite and those who sail during peak season and pay considerably more for their accommodations than someone who sails in the same room when prices are much lower?

No system is perfect and I'm afraid that we really have to recognize that it is Royal Caribbean's prerogative to establish the rules and requirements. Should they change the system, our choices pretty much limited. We can always complain if we don't like the changes, but ultimately we have to decide whether the changes are enough to make us cruise with another line or to grudgingly accept whatever new system is in place.

Rumors may be the lifeblood of these boards but until RCI actually makes a formal announcement changing the way in which cruise credits are earned, the rumors will remain just that - rumors.

I think the recent $99 Majesty cruise (which many regular CC'ers seem to be on now) got this started. But I certainly agree with you that coming up with a fair program won't be easy and that whatever is done will make some unhappy. I just know it irks me that I received 1 credit for my recent 9 night cruise and they will also get 1 credit for their wknd cruise. (And I'm such a pleasant, easy going guy that I can't help but think it must bother others too.)

Thanks for making me smile this afternoon!:D

You're due to be disappointed. No matter what system is in place there will always be some who claim that it doesn't treat them fairly. Suite passengers do not necessarily spend more onboard than passengers in lower category rooms, and guests who sail frequently in those rooms may well provide more overall revenue to the cruiseline than someone who books a suite for their one cruise a year. Free drinks in the concierge lounge can dramatically reduce bar revenues and onboard purchases don't necessarily reflect what a person paid for his or her stateroom. A first time cruiser may spend more on photos and souvenirs and other incidentals than a veteran cruiser. Someone sailing on a ship with a variety of extra cost alternative restaurants are likely to provide RCI with more revenue than someone who is on a ship with only one or two alternative dining venues. How about those who paid for a lower category but received a complimentary upgrade to a JS or Suite and those who sail during peak season and pay considerably more for their accommodations than someone who sails in the same room when prices are much lower?

No system is perfect and I'm afraid that we really have to recognize that it is Royal Caribbean's prerogative to establish the rules and requirements. Should they change the system, our choices pretty much limited. We can always complain if we don't like the changes, but ultimately we have to decide whether the changes are enough to make us cruise with another line or to grudgingly accept whatever new system is in place.

Rumors may be the lifeblood of these boards but until RCI actually makes a formal announcement changing the way in which cruise credits are earned, the rumors will remain just that - rumors.

Great post, a lot of folks posting haven't figured out yet that life is not fair.

Hate to tell all you non-Floridians but we also get discounts on Disney World. :D

But while we do get breaks, we do sail more often - So is that a cause or effect? Who's to say? But our filling the ships helps keep your prices down.

We also have to put up with hurricane season...:cool:

It is rumoured that this will be the case soon

That would be just fine with me. A 3 day cruise should not be worth as much as a 7+ night cruise in terms of Crown and Anchor status. But this is all really a moot point as there are very little benefits to being a C&A member these days.

My suggestion would be to make their program work by days at sea, that would make it fair. Something like Gold members are 1 to 30 cruising days, Platinum are 31 to 60 cruising days and Diamond are 61 to 90 cruising days.

They could still double up the suite guests if them want because they spend so much more than those taking inside cabins.

Just a thought, don't flame me I do like the current program, and we were able to take advantage of some short cruises, but we generally take 12 or 14 day cruises ore back to back.

Happy sailing

Brian J

This^

My suggestion would be to make their program work by days at sea, that would make it fair. Something like Gold members are 1 to 30 cruising days, Platinum are 31 to 60 cruising days and Diamond are 61 to 90 cruising days.

They could still double up the suite guests if them want because they spend so much more than those taking inside cabins.

Just a thought, don't flame me I do like the current program, and we were able to take advantage of some short cruises, but we generally take 12 or 14 day cruises ore back to back.

Happy sailing

Brian J

I have had the same thoughts about using days at sea rather than number of cruises. Makes a lot of sense to me!

Happy sailing

Brian J

Brian this would certainly push up the prices of Trans Atlantics and Repositionings.

Hope all is going fine!

Glen

For the people who are concerned about receiving the cruise credits and do not think it is fair that a 3 and 4 nite cruise get the same credits as a 7 nite or longer they could just as well take a 3 and 4 nite back 2 back and receive 2 credits instead of going on a 7 nite. Or add another 3 nite cruise and do a b2b2b and get 3 credits. Even if you are flying to the port you would still be doing a 7 nite or more if you choose, so I think you still have the same opportunity as someone who lives near the port to get the extra credits.

We Floridians have to put our hater-blockers on, I guess. :cool:

I'm sure there are perks that are in or around the area that you live in too. And I don't think RCCL spends too much time thinking about how much it costs to fly from Kansas to a port...they just want their ship filled. People will find the way to get there..or not.

Don't hate. Just get on a ship and enjoy yourself and don't worry so much about what other people have or don't have.

That would be just fine with me. A 3 day cruise should not be worth as much as a 7+ night cruise in terms of Crown and Anchor status. But this is all really a moot point as there are very little benefits to being a C&A member these days.

With the changes that were made last summer the benefits are improving and while perhaps not as great as they once were, are certainly better and some, like the free bag of laundry and free internet minutes and balcony discounts make reaching diamond plus level more worthwhile. Perks are not the reason we sail with RCI. Rather the friendly service that their staff provides, the wide range of itineraries and the overall cruise experience we have on their ships are what make us loyal customers.:)

We Floridians have to put our hater-blockers on, I guess. :cool:

I'm sure there are perks that are in or around the area that you live in too. And I don't think RCCL spends too much time thinking about how much it costs to fly from Kansas to a port...they just want their ship filled. People will find the way to get there..or not.

Don't hate. Just get on a ship and enjoy yourself and don't worry so much about what other people have or don't have.

No hate here, just jealousy and envy. If I were living in Florida, I'd be doing the same. . . cruising and cruising often. We were just on a b2b on the Liberty that had a 3 night leg. The DL was so full of Floridians, who could blame them? One nice lady from Florida told us that 3 days on the Liberty with DL privileges was much cheaper than going out to dinner for them. I'd be there too. ;)

Just got off a cruise and had a discussion about cruise credits with a fellow couple. They were on a alternating 5/4 day b2b2b so they could acquire their diamond status. I do believe that RC marketing is working. We cruise when we can, on what ship we can afford and the benefits as they increase are icing on the cake. I would love to see what its truly costing some people financially to just get to the top of the ladder for a balcony discount or free drinks. Now to be truthful we dont drink alot, just a drink or maybe two per day & we have been happy in suites all the way down to insides.

This is the best loyalty program on the seas. Why is it something people feel so entitled too? Every program I am involved in has in small print that it "is subject to change without notice". I feel privledged to receive any extra at all while vacationing.

while you also get discounts you dont get the same discount we do. My gf lives in Tx and her prices never compair to my FL discount yet alone my passholder rate.

Hate to tell all you non-Floridians but we also get discounts on Disney World. :D

But while we do get breaks, we do sail more often - So is that a cause or effect? Who's to say? But our filling the ships helps keep your prices down.

We also have to put up with hurricane season...:cool:

Archived