Michael's Club Elite Perk

Meena

Apparently the timing of the Elite lounge isn't 'useless' for Late Diners, but may be useless for an individual's taste. We've dined late and find the current times just fine, as said by others. Maybe a more accurate statement would be: "The time doesn't meet my personal schedule and they should move it for me".

Den

Edited by Denny01

There are complimentary coffees in the morning...but you have to PAY for one in the afternoon, and that's if you can actually get one.!! Several times I have been refused. They will get one sometimes , which you have to then pay for, in Sky Lounge , but no chance in Michael's club. I do not like achohol, and would love to have just a coffee. We do not go there anymore just for this reason.

Just off the Millennium and my first time on Celebrity ... the dress code was listed as casual for the morning and smart casual for the evening. In reality, as with most other dress codes on this sailing (perhaps because it was a holiday sailing?), people wore whatever they want and didn't have a word spoken to them.

Apparently the timing of the Elite lounge isn't 'useless' for Late Diners, but may be useless for an individual's taste. We've dined late and find the current times just fine, as said by others. Maybe a more accurate statement would be: "The time doesn't meet my personal schedule and they should move it for me".

Den

Bravo. Well said.

This is our first time on Celebrity sailing on Eclipse 1/15/11 and in a RS. Do we get to go the Michael's Club because of this room even though we are not elite members? I am a bit confused...This sounds nice, particularly as we hadn't planned on getting a drink package as we don't drink enough to justify the expense. Also the internet sounds great. Is it open only certain hours during the day?

Whether the passengers sailing in Suite accommodations get a sort of "honorary" elite status appears to depend on, among other things, how many Elite level passengers are on that itinerary, and who is in charge of the Captain's Club on board. Same with dress code. Some enforce it, some don't. You may get it when booked in suite, you may not.

When there are many Elites on board, the venue moves from Michael's Club to a larger space. It is open for a couple of hours in the morning, and a couple of hours in the evening.

The internet is available 24 hours a day. You must sign up for a package of minutes, or it will be pay-as-you-go at $0.65 per minute. Elite members get 90 minutes free, and beyond that, need to buy packages of minutes. Once you have signed up and registered your card, you can use the computers anytime or access the 'net on your own device, if wi-fi enabled. The computers are not in Michael's Club.

My mom, my daughter & I were on the Solstice last summer in a RS. None of us are elites. I had the most credits with 7. It did appear that we got all of the Elite "perks" (bridge tour, Michaels for breakfast, a complimentary dinner in Muranos (yum!), a cocktail party, 3 free internet packages, a great table in the MDR, etc..) I assumed it was due to the Royal Suite, but I can't be sure. We did not go to Michaels for cocktails. I don't remember if we were invited or not. We had late dining & that time would not have worked for us. We were still out by the pool!

Regarding the number of elite passengers onboard, the ship was very full & the elite events were well attended, so I would think there were lots of elites onboard, but we still got the perks.

By the way Getoffutt... my husband & I will be on your 1/15 sailing. We are in a CC next to a RS so we may be your neighbors!

On our Eclipse Thanksgiving cruise, people respected the dress code in the evenings. In the mornings, port attire is perfectly fine. But in the evenings, the CC hostess would actually turn folks away for coming in in shorts and daytime wear. (Also saw the same in the MDR for dinner if one was not dressed appropriately.) I really respect the fact that X is trying to enforce the dress code.

Linda, we asked why they bother with the second card when it says right on your seapass if you're elite or not and we were told this second card was originally meant for the suite people who were included in the perks program.

Den

I am one of the late diners who does not like the time. On a port intensive cruise like my upcoming Southern Carribbean, we are generally in port until 6:00. In order to meet the timing of the Elite event, one would need to board the ship quite a bit earlier and then find time to shower and change clothes. I think if the dress code were more relaxed it would be a bit easier to deal with, although extending the time an hour or starting an hour later would be nice. On land, one generally does not see happy hours start as early as 4:00.

In reading the boards, I have seen a number of comments from individuals who feel the time is too early. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but from what I have read I think there are alot of people who share my view (and obviously those that do not). For that reason I feel depicting this as someone's 'personal schedule' or suggesting it is a 'move it for me' situation is perhaps a bit harsh. I would like to see a poll of preferred times for the event to see what they would come up with.

All that said, I am thankful that Celebrity does this for their Elite passengers and would certainly rather have it early than not at all.

The one thing we have to remember is that X uses Michaels Club for other things besides Elite Happy 2 Hours. They can't tie up the Club all evening as other people wish to use it as well. I do not favor changing the hours either - I can work around them - ports, pool etc. I defiantly would not like them to start at 5pm as we eat early (at the 6pm seating)! I think it is a wonderful amenity by X & Captain's Club but it's up to us how or if we make use of it. Even if we only make it 4 or 5 times I don't begrudge the times I can't make it because I chose to do something else.

The 4 to 6 cocktail party is pretty useless for those with late (8:30) dinner seatings.

I have late seating, and the Elite Lounge was useless for me, almost every night. :D

Regarding the 4-6 pm happy hour being too early....I agree. I usually choose the late seating dinner, and find that I have to be in my cabin showering and getting ready for the evening at 3:00! It is either that, or jump into more casual clothes and try to spruce up my "boat hair", LOL, in order to make the early happy hour. I am elite due to my Royal Caribbean status, and RC has their "diamond" (elite equivalent) event from 5:00 - 8:30 p.m. daily. This accomodates both the early and late seating people. I much prefer those times over Celebrity's times, however I am grateful they both offer such a wonderful perk. I am loyal to Royal and Celebrity from now on due to the happy hour perk.

RC has their "diamond" (elite equivalent) event from 5:00 - 8:30 p.m. daily. This accomodates both the early and late seating people.

I don't see how 5-8:30 accommodates the early seating:confused: Looks like we would get only 1 hour and late would get 3 1/2:eek:

Well... this is getting off topic since the 5-8:30 hours are RCL and not Celebrity, but as far as those hours: Which would you prefer to make things fairer for the early diners: Closing the lounge from 6 to 7:30 so the servers could sit around with their hands in their pockets or opening it for early diners only at 2:30 so you could get a full 3 1/2 hours of free drinking in? Seriously though - this seems like one of those things where you just can't please all of the people all of the time.

Edited by Crazy Cruzer

I think the hours as they are work for both early and late seating. The decision whether to attend is still up to personal choice. I am sure there are early people who would like to remain at the pool/port until the last possible minute before dressing for dinner as well. But as the hours stand now, it is equally available to both choices. But if I ever cruise RCL I will ensure we dine late:D I agree, it is hard to please everyone!

Edited by Christine Frances

Well... this is getting off topic since the 5-8:30 hours are RCL and not Celebrity, but as far as those hours: Which would you prefer to make things fairer for the early diners: Closing the lounge from 6 to 7:30 so the servers could sit around with their hands in their pockets or opening it for early diners only at 2:30 so you could get a full 3 1/2 hours of free drinking in? Seriously though - this seems like one of those things where you just can't please all of the people all of the time.

I was not aware of this perk for Elites - guess I don't pay enough attention to what is available for the different levels! Are you saying that drinks are free during happy hour in Michaels for elites?

For those who wish to do things as they do at RCL:

Celebrity would then establish an Elite + lounge,

Remove the present drink menu for all elites,

Open up Michael's Club as a true E+ lounge and expand the drinking hours for only those in that category.

Serve a more limited drink menu (RCL cruisers can perhaps enlighten us) in a different lounge for elites...

and I'm sure the bar bill for X would be much lower than it is now on some ships. Serving 300 elites from 4 to 6pm, as on Constellation in Reflections, with the drink choices available, I believe is much costlier than the alternative....

and I think change to the present event is inevitable.

According to threads over on the RCL boards, change is imminent, with two new levels, calculated by days cruised, not number of cruises. And if there is to be any reciprocity between levels and cruise lines, change will come to Celebrity as well.

Open up Michael's Club as a true E+ lounge and expand the drinking hours for only those in that category.

Serve a more limited drink menu (RCL cruisers can perhaps enlighten us) in a different lounge for elites...

and I'm sure the bar bill for X would be much lower than it is now on some ships. Serving 300 elites from 4 to 6pm, as on Constellation in Reflections, with the drink choices available, I believe is much costlier than the alternative....

According to threads over on the RCL boards, change is imminent, with two new levels, calculated by days cruised, not number of cruises. And if there is to be any reciprocity between levels and cruise lines, change will come to Celebrity as well.

:) That would be fantastic! The current system is unsustainable. All you have to do is watch the Captain's Club hostesses trying to manage the cocktail hour to know this.

I'm just wondering if the reciprocal arrangement has a lot to do with the overcrowding. There are way more C & A members than Captain's Club and they always seem to outnumber CC in Michaels when we were there. There is no reciprocal between HAL and Carnival:confused: This may relieve the pressure on Elite events. I have my flame retardant suit on now:D

RC has their "diamond" (elite equivalent) event from 5:00 - 8:30 p.m. daily. This accomodates both the early and late seating people.

I don't see how 5-8:30 accommodates the early seating:confused: Looks like we would get only 1 hour and late would get 3 1/2:eek:

Half an hour if you have early seating on the Voyager of the Seas which is 5:30.

Tucker in Texas

The current system is unsustainable.

I think you are absolutely correct. That is what I told the hostess when they were doing a trial run on new Elite perks on Constellation a year and a half ago.

I think that sounds a very sensible move. If they go to days rather than credits and introduce Elite+ I would have to cruise some more and lose out in having a more limited drinks menu, but that's fine. On my last cruise (a TA with lots of Elites) I didn't even go to the afternoon social event. From experience it was too crowded. Having so many eligible is not a good thing.

Phil