Clothing dilemma for husband

dimem

Because of the 1 bag and lb limit on luggage would it be ok for my husband to wear dress pants and a dress shirt and tie on forml night? Adding a sport coat would add more weight and less room for my things. LOL!

Currently on Solstice, and dined in Blu on formal night since we're aquaclass. Two gentlemen showed up without jackets, and were provided jackets by the maitre'd. Don't know if they do this in the other restaurants.

The ship has a tux rental service. Dilemma solved.

Now we always factor in the cost of luggage on flights into our total cruise package, along with the cost for gratuities.

What's the cost of the extra piece of luggage? Around $25/$30 each way? That would certainly beat the cost for renting the tux --

I would say take the suit and enjoy the ambiance of Formal Nights.

Because of the 1 bag and lb limit on luggage would it be ok for my husband to wear dress pants and a dress shirt and tie on forml night? Adding a sport coat would add more weight and less room for my things. LOL!

Does he have a blazer? Have him wear it on the plane or pack it & he will be fine. Easy to pack a jkt- We always do carry-on & DH takes blazer.

Carole

Just recently off the Solstice and men who did not have a jacket on were given one when they entered the MDR on formal nights. There was a mix of tuxs and suits so I don't think he would necessarily need a tux, but definitely a jacket. It is not required to wear a jacket in Murano or the other speciality restaurants on formal or any other night.

If they give you a jacket at the door then try your luck and take the jacket and do what the previous poster said. Drape it on your chair and enjoy dinner. Personally, I would just wear a sports coat on the plane and you are covered either way.

I guess the issue can be solved IMHO depending on where you are going. If you are going to the Caribbean, then I have always found that men, partricularly, overpack. I have been able to get everything I really need (including a TUX and sport coat suit) in my carry on (I have one that allows for packing suits etc. in a separate compartment). Believe me, you don't need a lot given the temperature, etc. in the Caribbean. They also have a laundry service on the Celebrity ships; so, for about $20, you can get everything laundered in mid-cruise. If you are going to cold country, the situation will obviously be different!

One of the main reasons that people choose to sail on Celebrity ships is because it is a cut above the other cruise lines in the class exhibited by the ship and its passengers. Celebrity could easily change the policies and allow jeans, tank tops, shorts or anything else in the MDR at any time. If that happened, the Celebrity as we know it would be gone.

Those of you who want to do an "in your face" and not abide by the established dress code might do well to explore other lines that welcome the freestyle type of cruise and dress. I'm not saying that all men need to wear a tux on formal nights, although it would be nice, but rather to at least respect the other guests and abide by the established code or not use the MDR.

Let me see. Spending thousands for flight and cruise and worried about the cost of extra luggage. Glad to see a previous post of MDR enforcing dress. Our experience was seeing quite a few in cutoffs, tattered jeans and t shirts on the Solstice. I don/t have a tux but wear a black suit and bow on formal nights and to Speciality restaurants. Sportcoat the other nights. But to each his own.

One of the biggest issues appears to be how inconsistent the 'policing' is. We cruised Solstice with my son (young adult) and he wore a dress shirt and tie but did not have a jacket. He did feel underdressed but was never turned away. I am not sure why having a jacket draped over a chair would be ok, but not wearing one would not be ok. (and please don't quote me the policy - that is besides the point I am making).

I personally am generally a follower of rules - different cruise ships try to maintain a certain ambiance I know. However, to embarass their customers by shoving jackets at them or refusing them admission to me is as much or more 'low class' than not following the dress code.

One of the main reasons that people choose to sail on Celebrity ships is because it is a cut above the other cruise lines in the class exhibited by the ship and its passengers. Celebrity could easily change the policies and allow jeans, tank tops, shorts or anything else in the MDR at any time. If that happened, the Celebrity as we know it would be gone.

Those of you who want to do an "in your face" and not abide by the established dress code might do well to explore other lines that welcome the freestyle type of cruise and dress. I'm not saying that all men need to wear a tux on formal nights, although it would be nice, but rather to at least respect the other guests and abide by the established code or not use the MDR.

On the Christmas cruise on the Equinox, the dress code was enforced for the happy hour.

Well then maybe he can get one of those T-shirts that looks like a tux that someone mentioned on a thread that the crew had on in the MDR one night. Who knows.....I agree that paying for the extra bag is cheaper then renting a tux. I also think a sports coat could fit in a small carry on bag for a man. My husbands carry on hardly has anything in it....his Kindle, some candy, I-pod....nothing major as he uses my carry on to take all the important things.

Archived