Do you like the new changes to the C&A Points System?

EVALUATOR

Do you like the new C & A changes just announced?  

1,233 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new C & A changes just announced?

• Yes, I am satisfied.
    • Yes, it is even better than I expected.
    • Well, I can live with it, but.......(and then explain in a post on the thread)
    • Yes, the benefits are much better.
    • Yes, I have WAY more credits than I thought I would!
    • Frankly, nothing makes me happy. I am the biggest grump on Cruise Critic.
    • No. I will NEVER get to the next level now!
    • NO. Just NO. I am so sick of the whole thing. NO.

On that same ship, there is another couple that cruises just about every weekend. At the C&A meetings, they pull out their little notepad and make notes of the top cruisers recognized.

ok that is weird. I'm sure they are wearing the lapel pins.

Doesn't make sense - we were at 7 cruise credits - 3 for each of the cruises plus 1 extra credit for the Diamonds in December (the equivalent of another cruise). But now we get nothing for that?

Don't get me wrong, I am pleased that they are now basing the credits on number of sea days, but it does seem wrong that they give you something then take it away again. Having said that, they still haven't given us the equivalent of the days we have sailed so far. Maybe I will call them as it is possible they have it wrong. Very pleased for those that have gained with the new system and in the long run it will be better for us.:D

Only D and D+ got extra credit's. 1 extra credit for the Diamonds in December

I'm confused.

So, if I had a 10 night cruise (used to be 1 cruise credit)

That would convert to 10 points? They have it listed as 7 points.

They did a similar thing to me, shorting me two earned days like they never happened, so I was fighting with them using the "Chat Online" feature at the side of the page once you log in to your C&A page. It did no good. It was an idiot I was talking to who was spelling "Losing" as "Loosing" and saying I am getting to Platinum faster with the new system than the old system. That's not the point. I was shorted two days that I earned and I want them. You cannot give somebody something then take it away and say that's a good thing.

I am supposed to be at 17 points, not 15. Now to get to Platinum at 30 points I have to take a 10-night cruise and a 5-night cruise. If they gave me my 17 points (which I am entitled to) I would only have to take a 10-night cruise and a 3-night cruise. So they are costing me money. That's not a "good thing".

And to those who say "This is not a big deal" that's because most of you are above Gold. For us lowly Gold levels trying to get to Platinum some of those extras mean a lot.

With Platinum you get both priority check-in and a private departure lounge with breakfast. Do you know how long the lines are for the "great unwashed masses" not privileged enough to be rich and cruise a lot? Probably not, since you are above Gold, but the lines are HUGE. So this is not a "perk" and "no big deal". This make the difference between standing in a 1000-person line and standing in a 10-person line. On my first RCI cruise, to Alaska, I stood in a line for 4 hours that went out the door, thru the parking garage, up two levels, and snaked down the street. I almost peed my pants since I couldn't get out of line to use the restroom because I was alone with no one to save my place. So instead of being a "perk", going from Gold to Platinum can make the difference between peeing your pants in line or not. That's a big deal to me. If it's not to you then you must wear Depends.

Well I am here to tell you you're wrong. Yes, I agree it is a ridiculous idea, but I know for a fact there are people who do the 3 nighters just for points. On a recent Majesty cruise, I met a couple who was doing 7 B2Bs. When I asked them why they were doing 7 B2Bs on a ship like Majesty, their answer was just to gain points.

On that same ship, there is another couple that cruises just about every weekend. At the C&A meetings, they pull out their little notepad and make notes of the top cruisers recognized.

Did you ever ask them what their cruise points got them? There are no perks on the ships that do short cruises and if they do it because they want to have their name announced at a C&A meeting, that is great. Costs RCL nothing. As far as cruising just about every weekend - oh, if only I could. I did meet a couple who do the B2B on the Majesty regularly. When I asked why, they said because they are elderly and live in Miami and can go home and water their plants or go to a doctor's appointment on turnaround day. I salute them and certainly don't begrudge them the points that RCL has decided to give them. As a RCL shareholder, I call it good business.

Sorry to be a big NO, but just like the previous change when we got caught trying to get to Diamond we got "hit" again. We only needed 3 cruises to make Diamond Plus but now need 29 cruise days. We did not listen to the warnings and grab a quick December cruise for double credits or even jump on a quick 3 or 4 day in January when things were delayed so maybe some of the fault is our own. But is certainly makes us wonder why we stay so loyal to Royal when they continue to pull the rug out from under us as we reach cruise as often as we can to reach higher levels. We've only ever cruised a 4 day once so we are doing it the hard way!

I am going to have to review their caculations -- it appears they missed our suite points if Junior Suites count. Can anyone confirm that for me before I spend the time doing the new higher math?

Has anybody contacted RCL about the conversion program? I just looked and my 2 current points were converted to 15 points, however, right on the list is shows that I have 16 nights at sea (one 9 night and one 7 night cruise on Royal).

I realize it is only 1 point, and I am not going to throw a fit about it, but do you think that Royal would give me that extra point if I were to call and ask?

Has anyone tried?

I just sent an e-mail to C&A , I have 3 completed 2 -7 day 1 -5 day . The funny thing is all my completed cruises are posted and that is wrong as well they credited me with one I cancelled they show me taking 2 cruise the same week LOL . I would like to get it straight because after this year we will go Platnium. I will see what they say :)

they pull out their little notepad and make notes of the top cruisers recognized.

I must be very dense, but what is that all about? Why do they keep a record of recognized cruisers? Why do they care about anyone's name but their own? :confused::confused:

I am going to have to review their caculations -- it appears they missed our suite points if Junior Suites count. Can anyone confirm that for me before I spend the time doing the new higher math?

They did not calculate your credits to points, they used the conversion that Evaluator listed. So you would not get 2x JS days, you would get 2 points. The conversion is done based on the total credits you earned.

Well I am here to tell you you're wrong. Yes, I agree it is a ridiculous idea, but I know for a fact there are people who do the 3 nighters just for points. On a recent Majesty cruise, I met a couple who was doing 7 B2Bs. When I asked them why they were doing 7 B2Bs on a ship like Majesty, their answer was just to gain points.

My coworker sailed with some people on the Majesty in December who were doing multiple B2B. They were staying in an inside Cabin because it was only like $100 a person for the 3 night sailings. They were whining and moaning about how horrible it was, but they were doing it for points. They were Diamonds trying to get to Diamond Plus. Because of the double points they were getting, they were earning 4 points a week for around $200 a person.

I personally wouldn't want to sail that way.

I am

We were supposed to get a 10th cruise crystal block for our 11 night Jewel of the Seas cruise in March. Not sure if we qualify now or not. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Take care...

Irene & Miles

We have done 13 cruises with RCL and are booked for #14 in Sept but have never gotten a crystal block. How does one go about getting one of those? Are those one of the perks that folks do not get any more? Or do you have to know someone to get them?

Only D and D+ got extra credit's. 1 extra credit for the Diamonds in December

Yes, I said in my original post that we ARE Diamond - due to being Elite on Celebrity. We got all the goodies, and we got the extra cruise credit. but it seems it has now disappeared - they have given us less days than we have cruised and nothing for the Diamond extra credit.

No, they are not converting those nights directly. I did not get the total amounts of nights listed either because of how they figured it out, but it should take the same amount of time to get to the next level, assuming you book 7 night cruises.

Actually it will now take 12 cruises to get past 80 points..

On the other hand, this will help me out on my next cruise. I have a Suite on a 14 night, so now I will get 28 points versus 3. The new system makes suites much more valuable, especially on longer cruises.

We have done 13 cruises with RCL and are booked for #14 in Sept but have never gotten a crystal block. How does one go about getting one of those? Are those one of the perks that folks do not get any more? Or do you have to know someone to get them?

4 A commemorative gift will be delivered to you during the sailing on which you attain your 140, 210, 280 and 350 cruise points and on every 70 cruise points thereafter

I think RC did a good job went to sleep Diamond woke up Diamond. The new cruise nights is definitely a more fair way to tabulate points. Looking up at upcoming cruises and room accommodations I will hit Diamond plus about the same time I would have under the old program. Also it doesn't seem like there was any reduction in benefits.

So what's up with the crystal blocks? I was about to get my first block on the Allure for my 30th credit. I now have 216 credits. Am I to miss out again?

Hey Paul, I am in the same boat, or should I say ship. We had 29 credits that converted to 216 and we sail the Allure in 3 weeks. I was hoping to get the crystal block on this sailing. I missed it at 20 too because we had 21 when the rules changed.

Oh well, I am still happy with the changes.

ChipA

They never had beer in the Diamond event since they changed from Concierge Lounge for Diamond members - only the 25% off. That was one of the big complaints when they did change, from people who don't drink wine ;)

From our point of view we're virtually at the same place we were (still at the lower end of Diamond) and the 3 cruises we've booked this year will take us to roughly the same place we would have been in the old system (approaching D+). The only difference is that, since we're fortunate enough to usually sail in a JS, we will then be able to make it to D+ quicker than we would have under the old system.

So we're happy :)

Apologies in advance if someone has answered and I missed it...

The Diamond lounge on Freedom and Oasis class, it doesn't mention anywhere (I can see) if there will be free beers and spirits as now, or whether it will become the same as the Diamond events on ships with no lounge... can anyone assist?

Was Diamond and still am - we are satisfied. I think they made the changes as fairly as possible. Most will be happy and we all know you can't please everyone. I did have to laugh - our diamond welcome aboard gift will be a bottle of water! We don't drink soda or juice. We don't cruise for the perks but we do appreicate them.

I must be very dense, but what is that all about? Why do they keep a record of recognized cruisers? Why do they care about anyone's name but their own? :confused::confused:

For some reason, it is a big deal to them. From what I heard, they are (or were) # 3 on the list of RCI's highest cruise credits. When I was on that cruise, Super Mario (#1 in C&A) was on board. They hated it.

On the Allure pre-inaugural, there was some behind the scenes termoil because they wrongly accepted a gift as RCI's second highest cruisers when in fact, they were # 3.

ok that is weird. I'm sure they are wearing the lapel pins.

Oh yea. He wears all his pins and even an RCI name tag.

Just reading a couple of posts. It's making me wonder about their calculations. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine - we are still D+ with 216 credits and that's what I find strange.

At least 2 posters are saying they have 29 credits which gives them 216 points. So it would appear that it doesn't matter how many nights you actually cruised, if you have 29 credits you received 216 points. (Even if you had all 3 night cruises to get you to the 29 credits.)

I should get the crystal block on my cruise at the end of February but probably won't.

Many have mentioned that they have more points than they should. My 24 cruise credits convert to 181. My history shows only 157 days (points). To keep me at my current D+ status (ie. grandfathering) it seemed necessary for RCI to alot a number above the required 175 points. Using the conversion tool, 24 credits now equate to 181 points - not sure why - but it guarantees that one does not qualify for a lesser level than what they had already achieved.

Hi Steve

We have 188 credits and we couldn't figure out how that was possible.

After reading the fine print we have done 3 cruise tours. The tours are counted as days at sea. Maybe that is wear some of the discredancy is.

To cold here can't wait till May.

Bob

What do you think about the changes to the C&A points system?

This was supposed to be a poll, but I hit the wrong button.

Hey Merion Mom... fix it, and do a poll.

Coincidence, stock up $1.15--hoorray!:D:D:D

Apologies in advance if someone has answered and I missed it...

The Diamond lounge on Freedom and Oasis class, it doesn't mention anywhere (I can see) if there will be free beers and spirits as now, or whether it will become the same as the Diamond events on ships with no lounge... can anyone assist?

No reason to believe that anything of that sort will change. If Diamond lounges offered free drinks, including beer, before (and they did), they will continue to offer them.:) The glass is half full, not half empty.;)

Archived