Guarantee Backfire

martikus

Have you ever had your guarantee room changed? Or once the room assignment comes out we're out of luck?

We've always done a guarantee and been pleased with our room. This time though we are on deck 2 what appears to be right under the anchor....sigh....guess we tempted fate too many times.

There are NO rooms left in our category so we can't switch.

We asked about releasing our room to try again - they said that wasn't possible. Once assingned our only options are move within the category or upgrade for $$. Is this true?

Bummed but ah well - we knew the chances we were taking.

Just curious if you have ever been re-assigned a guarantee room once you saw the room # posted.

We asked about releasing our room to try again - they said that wasn't possible. Once assingned our only options are move within the category or upgrade for $$. Is this true?

We have in the past asked to be put back into the pool and had no problem. Did it 3 times on a Majesty cruise. Maybe they have changed the process.

Are you dealing with a TA or directly with RCI? You should be able to have your name put back in the pool to try for another room. I would call and ask again.

If it will make you feel any better, being right next to the anchor may not be as bad as you think. 10 years ago it would not have been too good. But, in today's world, the ships hardly ever drop anchor any more. They are concerned about damage to the reef below. They now use a GPS system, the thrusters and the azipods to hold them in the same location.

Of course, if there are no rooms left (in the catagory you want), then they can't move you or put you back into the "pool"....but I'm sure you got the catagory you paid for.

Yes, it's possible that another change may happen.....possible, but not probable.

Martikus

Sometimes you will get conflicting information from RCCL agents.

I suggest you call again and ask to be put back in the pool, or change to another cabin in the category. We had a “bad” assignment recently and asked to change and were denied. I hung up, called back and the next agent who took my call was more than happy to make any change to the same category.

Good luck.

M

My first thought was "being near the anchor UGH". I did it once and never again as they mostly anchor early in the morning and the noise is too much. BUT you are going to Bermuda and you won't be anchoring out in the water so there will not be a problem of the anchor noise!!!

Are you dealing with a TA or directly with RCI? You should be able to have your name put back in the pool to try for another room. I would call and ask again.

If it will make you feel any better, being right next to the anchor may not be as bad as you think. 10 years ago it would not have been too good. But, in today's world, the ships hardly ever drop anchor any more. They are concerned about damage to the reef below. They now use a GPS system, the thrusters and the azipods to hold them in the same location.

On our NYE Radiance, the captain had to drop the anchor while we were tied up to the dock in Costa Maya because the seas were so rough (all water-based excursions were cancelled). It took us an extra hour to pull away from CM because the anchor got stuck on the bottom. They only drop anchor when absolutely necessary.

Had a cabin on 2 near the anchor on Monarch. Last cabin before the hall starts angling in to the bow -- no big deal. For docking ports, its a non-issue. For tender ports where they use the anchor, you'll hear it, but its a few seconds. No big deal. If you can change it, do it, but if you can't, don't worry about it.

I have been put back into the pool when I didn't like our assignment using the guarantee.....this was with a TA & was not a problem.

We also had a room by the anchor once....the first time they dropped it was like 5 am....I thought we had crashed....lol. Once we figured out what the noise was, it's tolerable & only lasts maybe 15 seconds. Not a big deal...was even helpful getting us going early on port days :D

Hey Martikus,

Our friends are cruise agents and they pulled up your sailing to see what's left in the catagory you booked. There are about a dozen cabins left in that catagory on that deck. They said that means if they fill those up and there is more demand before April they will start to bump people up to higher catagories to make room-that's how the guaruntee works right? They also said to make sure to call often as you can because when the opportunity does present itself you should strike when the irons hot so YOU get the upgrade!

I got burned once on a guaruntee and was on deck two in the bow of the ship... whoa... never again! To each their own though! Happy cruising adn good luck!

Have you ever had your guarantee room changed? Or once the room assignment comes out we're out of luck?

We've always done a guarantee and been pleased with our room. This time though we are on deck 2 what appears to be right under the anchor....sigh....guess we tempted fate too many times.

There are NO rooms left in our category so we can't switch.

Bummed but ah well - we knew the chances we were taking.

Just curious if you have ever been re-assigned a guarantee room once you saw the room # posted.

Hey Martikus,

Our friends are cruise agents and they pulled up your sailing to see what's left in the catagory you booked. There are about a dozen cabins left in that catagory on that deck

Not sure how you know what category the OP wound up with.........but if its a N or Q,there arent any left right now............just Ms on deck 2.. so if they have a N or Q,they can't move..

Thanks everyone - good point that the anchor won't even be used :) We definiteley got spoiled last few cruises by getting a decent inside room. Last time we even got the room we had originally chosen when we dropped that room and picked up the guarantee for over $200 savings.

And we'll just remember - there is no such thing as a bad room on a cruise - it's better than working :)

We booked directly with RCCL this time - I decided after our last cruise I'm too much of a control freak to use a TA unless we can get a great OBC deal :)

We've spoken with a couple RCCL agents today who said we can't go back into the pool - I love how depending on who asks you get different answers.

We'll continue to stalk rooms if for nothing else to try and move more mid-shop.

The bright side - maybe this is our bad guarantee and so we're safe to try again and again for a few more cruises ;)

Not sure how they knew either other than that's what they do for a living so it's good they do! They book cruises for a living and can access rooms the same way the agents at RCCL do from the direct booking website..not like us I guess. They have been able to get info with their access points I haven't ever been able to get on my own.

Doing it for a living still doesnt mean they know what cabin category the OP wound up with.........:)

Doing it for a living still doesnt mean they know what cabin category the OP wound up with.........:)

Didn't say that it did....you are assuming that is how they figured it out. If they were still here i'd ask them so the mystery would be known to us but they are on their way home.... Ocala oddly enough...lol..we have alot of family and friends there.. Nice town. I hope martikus gets bumped and will not hijack the thread further.

We got stuck with rooms over the anchor when we did a guarantee on the Majesty of the Seas. Honestly - we were happy to be able to get cheap cabins at all - last minute at Thanksgiving one year.

The anchor woke us up in the morning but heck - we were going to be getting up within 10 minutes anyway. And the noise lasted such a short time.

Better the anchor than to be stuck next to a crew hallway where they drag the luggage through on the night before disembarkation ALL NIGHT LONG!!!! And all sorts of other stuff ALL NIGHT LONG!!!! That's worse than the anchor.

A day on a cruise is MUCH better than a day at work.

Archived