Formal Nights? I'M ALL FOR IT

shanni-shanni

With all the debates about Formal Nights I would like to share my experience with you.

Last year when I was on the Oosterdam, Sea of Cortez, I wore a tux the first time in my life.

On one of the formal evenings I was leaving towards the entrance of the MDR after finishing my dinner with my wife. I noticed that there was a server quick-walking towards me with a full tray of dinners. I tucked myself next to a serving table to get out of his way and got separated from my wife. After he passed I quickly tried to catch up. Having taken no more than two steps, a lady stopped me and asked sweetly:- "Captain, can you bring us more butter?"

Being Oriental in a tux on a Formal Night can be fun. :rolleyes:

Tom

after many cruises, it turns out that i really enjoy the process of getting spiffed up and having an excellent dinner. totally sexist, i like to see the ladies prance and dance in their finest attire. so sue me. xo kb

We enjoy dresssing up - so few occasions to do it around here. :)

I think the differences in life situations explain a lot of the difference of opinion on this topic. There's an assumption in these threads that people who don't want to dress in formalwear don't own or can't afford formal clothing, or don't want to invest in something they'll never wear at home. That's certainly true for many, but others like dressing more casually because they get enough dressing up at home.

My job requires dressing to the nines at all times and frequently has me at black-tie events. Although I follow the dress code of whichever line I'm on, I strongly prefer resort casual/smart casual cruising because it's a treat different from "real life."

With all the debates about Formal Nights I would like to share my experience with you.

Last year when I was on the Oosterdam, Sea of Cortez, I wore a tux the first time in my life.

On one of the formal evenings I was leaving towards the entrance of the MDR after finishing my dinner with my wife. I noticed that there was a server quick-walking towards me with a full tray of dinners. I tucked myself next to a serving table to get out of his way and got separated from my wife. After he passed I quickly tried to catch up. Having taken no more than two steps, a lady stopped me and asked sweetly:- "Captain, can you bring us more butter?"

Tom

LOL! We had something similar happen to us on two formal nights while aboard the Celebrity Mercury last spring. Still chuckle about it.

after many cruises, it turns out that i really enjoy the process of getting spiffed up and having an excellent dinner. totally sexist, i like to see the ladies prance and dance in their finest attire. so sue me. xo kb

Truth be told, I think the ladies like seeing the men dressed up as well. My daughter and I love dressing for the formal nights, and look forward it it each cruise. Plenty of other times during the cruise to dress casual. JMHO:)

I think that's why a lot of us DO like to dress on formal nights!

Absolutely! My husband has worn his tux to only a handful of occasions around here, but he has worn it many many times on cruises. We always used to do a formal night portrait, but we rarely do now, as we've run out of space for the pictures!

Long Live Formal NIghts!

Oh, and Shanni-Shanni, I see my coffee cup is empty... ;)

I think the differences in life situations explain a lot of the difference of opinion on this topic. There's an assumption in these threads that people who don't want to dress in formalwear don't own or can't afford formal clothing, or don't want to invest in something they'll never wear at home. That's certainly true for many, but others like dressing more casually because they get enough dressing up at home.

My job requires dressing to the nines at all times and frequently has me at black-tie events. Although I follow the dress code of whichever line I'm on, I strongly prefer resort casual/smart casual cruising because it's a treat different from "real life."

I hear you. I lived and worked in NYC for 15 years. I was in a suit 5 days a week. Many times a month, I would rush home to change out of the suit and get into the tux to attend a charity gala, opera premiere or an art exhibit opening. So I never had the interest in getting dressed up while on vacation.

Now that I'm retired in Las Vegas, I don't have the opportunities to wear the tux as much. Therefore, I now enjoy taking the formal wear on the cruise.

Ron

When you book a cruise you accept a level of behaviour and manners.

You going in that it is polite to dress in a standard that will compliment the atmosphere and the enjoyment of fellow passengers, not just your own.

I dont buy the" I get dressed all the time and dont want to on a cruise".

Thats like saying I want to go swimming but I dont wnat get wet.

What I hear from that is egotistical sociopathac rancor.. Folks whos best friend is their computer and I-pod .

Society in the past decades has fostered a lot of sucessful but self centered.. The personal pronoun ( I me, ) folks I call them . They assert themselves as doing their own thing without reguard to the cares of others. Totaly self absorbed " doing their own thing" like spoiled children they delight in going aginst the grain, just to do it.

I learned to respect all others, and to behave in a manner that does not dray attention to either myself or detract form others. Manners can be fun. Dorothy said it in the Wizzard of OZ " Its not how much you care its how much others care about you"

I and Mywife dress because it is ther right thing to do for the specific event...

What I hear from that is egotistical sociopathac rancor..

I think you'll "hear" a little better if you slow down and try to process what you read before you react.

I clearly stated that I follow the dress code of whichever line I'm on, which renders your scrambled rant pretty much pointless.

You going in that it is polite to dress in a standard that will compliment the atmosphere and the enjoyment of fellow passengers, not just your own.

What I hear from that is egotistical sociopathac rancor.. Folks whos best friend is their computer and I-pod .

Society in the past decades has fostered a lot of sucessful but self centered.. The personal pronoun ( I me, ) folks I call them . They assert themselves as doing their own thing without reguard to the cares of others. Totaly self absorbed " doing their own thing" like spoiled children they delight in going aginst the grain, just to do it.

I learned to respect all others, and to behave in a manner that does not dray attention to either myself or detract form others. Manners can be fun. Dorothy said it in the Wizzard of OZ " Its not how much you care its how much others care about you"

I and Mywife dress because it is ther right thing to do for the specific event...

Wow......My post only spoke of what I prefer, not what I actually do. I always dress according to the cruise line's stated suggestions. I was only trying to say that at one point in my life dressing up was nothing special and currently I like to dress up. Sorry that I caused you such a strong reaction.

Ron

Wow, calm down and take a deep breath. You come off very arrogant. If you enjoy manners then I don't think that calling people self centered, self absorbed, spoiled children and the like really promotes your way of thinking. It's ok for people to be different. It's what makes the world go around. Whether one dresses formal or not will not ruin my cruise.

Some folks enjoy dress up and that's fine with me. Recognize that not everyone is in agreement. Some folks choose a cruise line because they like the formal nights. Some of us choose a cruise line for itinerary or other reasons. Please try to accept everyone for their reasons even if they differ from yours.

Tom

:D :D :D

Some of us get the humor, apparently some others get the "soap box" ;)

We heading out on a Panama Canal cruise with 4 formal nights over the 14 day cruise. To me, that's just plain overkill. One, or 2, I can take.

We booked the cruise because it was the right time, the right price, and the right itinerary.

Truth is, we both hate getting dressed up and we'll probably dine in the Lido or on our verandah on those nights.

If other people enjoy it, for whatever reason, then to each his/her own.

Archived