bow doors

irishjim

Just a curious question,why are the bow doors open when cruise ships leave

port,is it to do with look outs,more fresh air,sometimes there are crew seen sometimes not,anyone know the reason?:confused:

Jim.

Interesting thread and would you believe we once talked to a Captain about this very issue (it happened at the dinner table). When you mention "bow doors" we assume you are speaking about the hatch that many ships have that is very high on the sides of the bow and folds down from the hull. These hatches open into a crew-only area and sometimes you will see them open. The Captain who spoke of these bow hatches told us that on his ships we never allows these hatches (or any hatch) to be opened when the ship has left the dock or anchorage. In fact he said that its a normal part of the pre-cruise check-list that every opening is secure before the ship moves. The one exception is when they open a hatch for the pilot, and that is very carefully monitored from the bridge. Of course different Captains have different rules, but we found this explanation very interesting. As I recall, this particular Captain was an older Norwegian guy who was the Captain (we forget his name) of the Marco Polo.

Hank

now that explains why i have never seen them open -- i do glance around when we leave the ports

on the majority of the ships that we have been on -- i don;t recall seeing the pilots getting onto or off of the ship at a bow opening -- usually it appears they are midship?

Are you talking about where the anchor or ropes for tying the ship up come out? Those are open, as the ropes have just been pulled in, and frequently the opening is washed with fresh water to deter rust. But this are far above the water line.

Hank, you make a good point about doors being closed while moving, however, while at Santorini, as we repositioned the mile or so from the first tendering location to the second, the two openings used for tender access in the hull on the starboard side of the ship were open the entire time. I know because we were standing about 10 feet from the opening, first in line for the first tender to Fira.

Is this the Bow Door/Hatch you are asking about? http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/6177_Joanie-Ship-1.jpg

I know that on the Oosterdam the Bow itself (at the very front of the ship) is Crew Area. I asked LAFFINVEGAS about that when we did the Banner wave and she said that is a place for the crew to go and get fresh air, relax and be away from things.

Joanie

Is this the Bow Door/Hatch you are asking about? http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/6177_Joanie-Ship-1.jpg

I know that on the Oosterdam the Bow itself (at the very front of the ship) is Crew Area. I asked LAFFINVEGAS about that when we did the Banner wave and she said that is a place for the crew to go and get fresh air, relax and be away from things.

Joanie

Hi Joanie,that is what I was asking about,I watch most

sailaways and the hatches are allways open.:D:D

What you (The OP) is talking about are called "dive boards" and there is one on each side of the ship. They are located off the forward mooring deck and are manned by at least one officer during berthing/docking and anchoring of the ship. The officer is in charge of the (mooring) lines during berthing, has a better view from there, and can communicate verbally, or via whistle signals, with the line handlers ashore. During anchoring, say at HMC, he (or she) has a better view of the anchoring op from there.

019.jpg?t=1304877450

No one, incl. the pilots, ever gets on or off the vessel from there! It's way up there from the water level. Pilots, line handlers in the Panama Canal, and in some instances, officials, etc. embark the ship from a large break door in what's known as the ship's Assembly Area. They do so by using a Jacob's (or rope) ladder

001.jpg?t=1304877274

What you (The OP) is talking about are called "dive boards" and there is one on each side of the ship. They are located off the forward mooring deck and are manned by at least one officer during berthing/docking and anchoring of the ship. The officer is in charge of the (mooring) lines during berthing, has a better view from there, and can communicate verbally, or via whistle signals, with the line handlers ashore. During anchoring, say at HMC, he (or she) has a better view of the anchoring op from there.

019.jpg?t=1304877450

No one, incl. the pilots, ever gets on or off the vessel from there! It's way up there from the water level. Pilots, line handlers in the Panama Canal, and in some instances, officials, etc. embark the ship from a large break door in what's known as the ship's Assembly Area. They do so by using a Jacob's (or rope) ladder

Thanks John, That is what I thought the Hatch/ "dive boards" was for, but did not want to chance giving incorrect info.

To irishjim. the OP, I am glad to know my mind was working in synch for once today with someone:D Also very glad that John, Copper10-8 was able to jump in with the correct answer for you:)

Joanie

Nice pictures John! The "dive boards" are, as he pointed out, used by the officer in charge of the mooring deck to see over the side. The captain (or staff captain) will often speak with him/her (as well as their counterparts on the stern and at the break door) to check on distances, etc. while docking/undocking. One thing they need to check for is to make sure all the mooring lines are out of the water before the thrusters and propellers are operated (so as not to suck them in and tangle everything up!)

In the not too distant past, many ship's forward mooring decks were open to the air, right on the bow, instead of below deck like they are now on most ships. Then, the officer would climb up onto a platform on the gunwale (the side) to have a look overboard. Now that the mooring deck is concealed below deck, they still need to have a look over, so the dive board is utilized.

When anchoring, the anchor is not always let go from the hawse, rather it is "walked" to the waterline before it is allowed to free fall; again, you need to have a look overbaord to do that - same when weighing anchor and bringing it home - you need to be able to see in order to direct the operator of the anchor windlass. Hence, again, the dive board.

[quote name=IRL_

Joanie[/b][/color][/size][/font]

huh? Do you mean pax are not allowed on the bow of O'dam? ( when it's safe and in protected waters ( ie glacier bay)? What about the other Vista class ships?

huh? Do you mean pax are not allowed on the bow of O'dam? ( when it's safe and in protected waters ( ie glacier bay)? What about the other Vista class ships?

I do not know when Pax are allowed out onto the Bow of any of the ships. I do not go there as I always stay on my verandah while doing the scenic touring, but that is my preference.

I have read others who do go out onto the Bows of the ship so will defer to their responses.

All I was reporting is what LAFFINVEGAS, Lisa reported to me in San Diego for our Banner Wave.

Joanie

It is common to open the bow to pax in the Panama Canal, and a few other locations. Glacier Bay would make sense, but I haven't seen it opened there.

We had the bow section open on the Amsterdam in Alaska when sailing into Juneau and Sitka, as well as in Glacier Bay. It was also open on the Eurodam when we sailed into San Juan.

The Hatch to the foward of the ship is always open when the ship is in Glacier Bay and Hubbard's Glacier--I know because I have been out there at these times as well as going into Gatun Locks, the Gastinau Channel heading to Alaska and sailing into San Juan.

up until a few years ago the only time that the bow was open was when we went through the panama canal and for the glaciers in alaska

but i noticed that on good days -- the bow on the nieuw amsterdam -- caribbean cruises -- was open in the majority of the ports

Archived