New way for Platinum & Elite passengers to access the internet onboard

Toto2Kansas

From the latest Princess Captain's Circle Magazine:

Benefit just got easier

Once you become a Platinum Member, you'll be able to access your free Internet benefit more easily than ever before – thanks to a new streamlined process. From the second you log on, you will be recognized as a valued Platinum or Elite Captain's Circle Member.

Platinum and Elite Members no longer have to choose between different Internet time packages or decide how they want to apply their loyalty benefit. Instead, the new process recognizes the length of the voyage and applies the applicable Internet loyalty benefit automatically. Another added feature is the option to upgrade your loyalty benefit for a nominal fee. Plus, the billing process has been updated. Now, rather than seeing charges added or subtracted to your stateroom folio, you'll only see charges that go above your complimentary loyalty benefit.

Your Platinum and Elite Internet credit is determined by the length of the voyage as listed below. Full suite passengers qualify for unlimited Internet access:

Platinum & Elite Internet Benefits

DURATION MINUTES VALUE

7 days or less 150 minutes $75

8-20 days 250 minutes $100

21+ days 500 minutes $200

Thanks to this new streamlined process, you'll never again have to ask questions like: "How much Internet credit do I qualify for?" "Why are charges for this free benefit showing up on my folio?" or "How do I apply my Internet loyalty benefit?". It's one more way of saying thanks for being a valued passenger of Princess Cruises.®

Edited by Toto2Kansas

Thanks. I did notice on my last cruise - my internet wasn't on my bill. It used to show and then was deleted out but this time it didn't even show. Glad they are improving some things.

Off to read the newsletter.

Just back from the Emerald TA and yes, internet was seamless to get started (platinum) .

However, once I set it up at the internet cafe, I found the speed to be pitiful and the summary never showed up on the screen once I logged off. Plus huge line ups to use the computers PLUS noisy with bickering couples arguing about who, what, how to email.

I then started to use my own laptop in my cabin and altho it said in one of the info sheets that a $3.95 'one time charge' would be put on my portfolio to set up the wifi, it never did show up. Maybe cuz I was Platinum?

In any case, much better using my own laptop with my own email log ins PLUS I could type generic diarized letters in Notepad then just copy and paste into my emails once on line, save gobs of internet minutes.

So much so, that my 250 mins over 16 days lasted so well that I had nearly 100 mins left over!

Had trouble finding free wifi (or any wifi) in small towns in Europe altho did find a hot spot in Kinsdale Ireland as well as the cruise terminal in Rotterdam which helped save 'minutes'.

Wow, this is great to hear! DH and I are both Elite and on our cruise in April I signed up for both of ours with the free benefits - unfortunately I had to go to the Desk twice to get the credit applied. But they did it, and it is a wonderful perk. This will make it hassle free!

In any case, much better using my own laptop with my own email log ins PLUS I could type generic diarized letters in Notepad then just copy and paste into my emails once on line, save gobs of internet minutes.

So much so, that my 250 mins over 16 days lasted so well that I had nearly 100 mins left over!

Why write your email message in Notepad or another word program and then copy/paste into your email while online when you can completely compose your emails (including adding the email addresses and attaching pictures and documents) while working off line in your laptop’s email browser (Outlook Express, Windows Mail, etc.) and select send later (File>Send Later) which will save the message in your Outbox. The Outbox emails can then be sent when you are next online. This is more efficient as the only time needed online is to actually upload and download your emails. Once the uploads and downloads are done you can go off line to read the just received emails and if needed type your response to any which also can be saved in the Outbox.

In fact if you are composing emails off line using the laptop's email browser while not in the WiFi log in area and click on Send, it will default to the Send Later and place the email in your Outbox because of the lack of an internet connection since your computer can't logged on to the ship's WiFi.

What I do is set my laptop's email browser not to send and receive messages at start up (Tools>Options>General Tab, uncheck the send and receive messages at start up box and Check for New Messages every so many minutes box) so I am offline when I start the email browser up.

When I am ready to send and receive emails I log on and select Tools>Send and Receive>Send and Receive All or Receive All or Send All. You can even set your email browser to send and receive from several email accounts by setting up all of the email addresses by selecting Tools>Accounts>Add.

Edited by robtulipe

Thanks for sharing this, Toto. We also noticed, on our 4/23/11 Star Princess cruise, that our Internet charges were not listed and then deducted on our statement as they had been in the past.

And we, too, never got the 'number of minutes remaining' screen upon logoff.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Thanks Toto. We just did this on the Sapphire, and it recognized us both as Platinum when I first logged on using my netbook in my cabin. It also displayed the "added benefit" of purchasing 100 additional minutes for only $25.00.

Why write your email message in Notepad or another word program and then copy/paste into your email while online when you can completely compose your emails (including adding the email addresses and attaching pictures and documents) while working off line in your laptop’s email browser (Outlook Express, Windows Mail, etc.) and select send later (File>Send Later) which will save the message in your Outbox.

Not everyone travels with a laptop that's setup to use a mail client for their email. I use a small portable laptop that I pretty much only use for travel, and don't have any email client setup, just not worth it. (Besides, I'd rather break my fingers than use outlook :).)

Then again, one of the reasons I cruise is it gives me an excuse not to check email at all :). I spend too much time at work dealing with email, not what I want to deal with on vacation.

I do post some blog postings sometimes, so I'll compose those in an editor locally, then post them online.

Last month, my cruise on the Emerald worked this way. Service was slooow, but you can't beat the price for Platinum cruisers and suites.

yes, it was slowwwwwwwww and AOL was down a lot..I use gmail so didn't affect me. But it was way too slow to even consider trying to send pics or attachments thus the quick copy and paste email worked just fine.

And here is another option for non platinum people...go to the terminals outside of the Future Cruise office which are logged on to the Princess website. On the home page, you can click on 'Princess eCards' and select one of 4 'postcards' and write up to 300 character messages and send free to friends and family. Trick is, you have to know their email address so make sure you have them written down somewhere (and not just in your contact list).

and agreed...I'd rather eat nails than use Outlook!

From the latest Princess Captain's Circle Magazine:

Benefit just got easier

Once you become a Platinum Member, you'll be able to access your free Internet benefit more easily than ever before – thanks to a new streamlined process. From the second you log on, you will be recognized as a valued Platinum or Elite Captain's Circle Member.

Platinum and Elite Members no longer have to choose between different Internet time packages or decide how they want to apply their loyalty benefit. Instead, the new process recognizes the length of the voyage and applies the applicable Internet loyalty benefit automatically. Another added feature is the option to upgrade your loyalty benefit for a nominal fee. Plus, the billing process has been updated. Now, rather than seeing charges added or subtracted to your stateroom folio, you'll only see charges that go above your complimentary loyalty benefit.

Your Platinum and Elite Internet credit is determined by the length of the voyage as listed below. Full suite passengers qualify for unlimited Internet access:

Platinum & Elite Internet Benefits

DURATION MINUTES VALUE

7 days or less 150 minutes $75

8-20 days 250 minutes $100

21+ days 500 minutes $200

Thanks to this new streamlined process, you'll never again have to ask questions like: "How much Internet credit do I qualify for?" "Why are charges for this free benefit showing up on my folio?" or "How do I apply my Internet loyalty benefit?". It's one more way of saying thanks for being a valued passenger of Princess Cruises.®

Just off the Ruby and it worked great. gail

This upcoming cruise is the first one in which my husband and I are both platinum. If I tend to be the one loggin in most of the time, if I use up all of my minutes would I then automatically start tapping into his free minutes since we are on the same booking or would I have to log out and log in as him?

Also, with the new set-up does it warn you if you meet the end of your package? The "convenience" of not cutting you off (and hence charging you the per minute rate if you go over) was not convenience in my book! I would be sitting there with a watch trying to time it to make sure I didn't get distracted and go beyond my free minutes!

A great idea but how do you know how many minutes of your free allocation you have left ?:confused:

The system still tells you you account usage but you have to wait there long enough to give it time to respond.

I did notice that on a B2B cruise the unused minutes from one trip were added to the second voyage. I'm not sure if this was a change since we haven't done a B2B in a while.

Thanks for posting this. It will be nice to not have to make sure the internet benefit is credited then deleted from our bill. This is really a nice perk Princess offers, and I'm grateful for it.

The system still tells you you account usage but you have to wait there long enough to give it time to respond.

I did notice that on a B2B cruise the unused minutes from one trip were added to the second voyage. I'm not sure if this was a change since we haven't done a B2B in a while.

This is another one of those "some ships" thing. On our last B2B in March on the Emerald they did not carryover, but then, the internet cafe manager was very rude. Several people mentioned having encounters with him. On the Crown last fall my wifes carried over but mine did not. I think this might be a timing thing as to when you add the minutes? They don't wipe the accounts until the ship is cleared on disembarkation day.

Thanks for sharing this, Toto. We also noticed, on our 4/23/11 Star Princess cruise, that our Internet charges were not listed and then deducted on our statement as they had been in the past.

And we, too, never got the 'number of minutes remaining' screen upon logoff.

A great idea but how do you know how many minutes of your free allocation you have left ?:confused:

So log on is easier but I reiterate - How do you know how many free minutes you have left? :confused::confused:

This would really bother me! :(

So log on is easier but I reiterate - How do you know how many free minutes you have left? :confused::confused:

Unless it has changed, when you log off a screen appears that tells how much tou used and how much you have left.

When we signed off the internet 90% of the time you were told how many minutes you used that session and then there was a daily account of use below. When the internet was really busy sometimes the wait to see you usage was too long but once you sign on for your next session you will be told how many minutes you have used.

Edited by Mapu

[/color]

This is another one of those "some ships" thing. On our last B2B in March on the Emerald they did not carryover, but then, the internet cafe manager was very rude. Several people mentioned having encounters with him. On the Crown last fall my wifes carried over but mine did not. I think this might be a timing thing as to when you add the minutes? They don't wipe the accounts until the ship is cleared on disembarkation day.

I guess they did go to zero but I didn't check until the second day of the second cruise & when I went to log on the second voyage it responded that I had an account already & added the remaining unused minutes to the new minutes. I had specifically asked the manager the very first day if I could carry over the minutes & was told NO.

Unless it has changed, when you log off a screen appears that tells how much tou used and how much you have left.

I asked because, if you go back and read the posts from people who have sailed with the new system, they said it no longer does this!