When did they stop skeet shooting on the ships?

My DH and I went on the Monarch for our honeymoon 18 years ago. At that time it was the biggest ship!!! Since then we have only been on one other cruise and it was with Carnival. We are booked on the Explorer for April. I remember my DH doing skeet shooting on our honeymoon and I noticed that I don't see anything about it on the website or these boards.

When did they stop doing skeet shooting? My DH loved it and was able to hit every target. :D

Loralie.

Save the waves, NOTHING to be thrown overboard at any time. Althought I thought the skeets used previously were made of compacted fish food, so where is the problem with that?

the pellets and the wadding from the round - not unusual for the shell to be ejected and find its way to the water as well and that's dumping plastic at sea, a big no no.

probably more important tho is a reluctance to hand a pass' a loaded gun anymore . . .

My DH and I went on the Monarch for our honeymoon 18 years ago. At that time it was the biggest ship!!! Since then we have only been on one other cruise and it was with Carnival. We are booked on the Explorer for April. I remember my DH doing skeet shooting on our honeymoon and I noticed that I don't see anything about it on the website or these boards.

When did they stop doing skeet shooting? My DH loved it and was able to hit every target. :D

Loralie.

I started cruising in 1995 and it wasn´t around then, so it must have been gone wayside pretty soon after your cruise.

I think they need to bring it back. Probably be very popular and the people will pay $$ to do it. And really is a bunch of clay pigeons and some pellets going to ruin the ocean? Do you know how much crap gets dumped into the ocean on a daily basis?

The only problem I think would be the noise.

the pellets and the wadding from the round - not unusual for the shell to be ejected and find its way to the water as well and that's dumping plastic at sea, a big no no.

probably more important tho is a reluctance to hand a pass' a loaded gun anymore . . .

Golf driving range went away in '88 for the same reason but UMaine has developed a golf ball made of lobster shells and is trying to market it to the cruise industry. $1.00/ball.

Sorry if people are missing out on the opportunity to murder defenseless skeets :rolleyes:, but I for one am glad they are no longer giving loaded guns to passenger. I am not saying I am concerned someone would go on a bloody rampage. After reading on CC some of the boned headed things that people have done at sea, I would be more worried about what some people could accidentily do.

Pretty much around 9/11, or earlier, can't remember the exact year.

The last time I shot skeet was in the early 80's on Song of Norway. Loaded guns were never handed to guest-ever. A ships officer would hand you the empty gun-explain the process- and then hand you 1 shell to load at a time/ when ready to fire you said pull, then that shell was ejected and picked up and then another shell handed to you. No empties went overboard that I ever saw.

The last time I shot skeet was in the early 80's on Song of Norway. Loaded guns were never handed to guest-ever. A ships officer would hand you the empty gun-explain the process- and then hand you 1 shell to load at a time/ when ready to fire you said pull, then that shell was ejected and picked up and then another shell handed to you. No empties went overboard that I ever saw.

That is the way I remember it, even going back to my early cruise days in the late 60's and early 1970's. For anyone experienced at shooting clays on land it was to onerous (and expensive) a process to endure. The ever present wind on cruise ships could make for a frustrating experience too with the clay pigeon doing a few dipsy doodles.

Save the waves, NOTHING to be thrown overboard at any time. Althought I thought the skeets used previously were made of compacted fish food, so where is the problem with that?

There would be the shotgun pellets and the wadding. Maybe they could put a skeet shooting simiulator in the arcade ;) That was a reference to the golf simulator which they also stopped driving golf balls into the ocean.

There would be the shotgun pellets and the wadding. Maybe they could put a skeet shooting simiulator in the arcade ;) That was a reference to the golf simulator which they also stopped driving golf balls into the ocean.

That is a pretty good idea. Have you ever seen one? If so get with the vendor and cut a deal to help get it on RCCL and then start selling the idea to the Miami office.

Of course instead of lots of pellets and wadding...we could switch to AR-15s and only have one slug at a time...much more challenging as well. :eek:

I really don't think pellets & wadding are going to have any impact on the ocean...

I think they need to bring it back. Probably be very popular and the people will pay $$ to do it. And really is a bunch of clay pigeons and some pellets going to ruin the ocean? Do you know how much crap gets dumped into the ocean on a daily basis?

The only problem I think would be the noise.

Since you realize that "so much crap" goes into the ocean as it is, why should RCI add to it? It's attitudes like yours ("no big deal. It's just a little bit of trash") that perpetuates the poisoning of the seas.

Shot and wadding really isn't an environmental issue. That issue was decided long ago with duck hunting. Non toxic steel shot is used instead of lead. If you're doing competitive skeet or trap shooting you want lead shot of a specific size but off the back of a cruise ship to amuse the passengers and make money, number 7 steel shot works just fine. Entire steel hulled ships are sunk to form fishing reefs and they seem to help the environment with regard to game fish.

Since you realize that "so much crap" goes into the ocean as it is, why should RCI add to it? It's attitudes like yours ("no big deal. It's just a little bit of trash") that perpetuates the poisoning of the seas.

Just the US military alone dumps tons of garbage into the ocean on a daily basis(and we are the eco friendly country).

Discharge from a gun doesn't even register on the eco scale.

The gel, hairspray, & lotion on swimmers does more damage/pollution than pellets & wadding. Nobody lectures them.....

Archived