Celebrity Gratuities

Miss UK

Not a valid comparison. The price difference is way beyond the 'tip/grat/service'.

It is the only valid comparison because those are the only US based lines that include gratuities. If those who are complaining about gratuities want to cruise on lines that provide that in their fares, they will have to bite the bullet and cruise on those lines, and pay the higher fares, which of course, include more things that a mass market line includes. But like I said, the comparison is very valid because they are the only lines that don't ask for extra tips.

You say there are cruise lines that include the tips? Of course there are, but believe me, if you're paying, for example, $1000 for your cruise on Celebrity, you'll be paying $3500 or more for the same cruise on lines that include gratuities in their fares----lines like Silversea, Seabourn and Regent. So, you see, if you don't want to tip, you're going to be PAYING one way or another if you go on a line that includes tips. And if you're honest with yourself, you're getting away cheap by just paying the tips instead of moving on to other lines that include gratuities

Are we comparing apples with apples?

I'll hold my hands up here. I can't afford to tip $2500 per person on or next cruise. With a typical crew member to pax ratio the crew get $7500 tips per week given your comparison.

Given 2 comparable lines, one low fare, higher tips...the other higher fare lower tips where the final costs are similar then you could make this argument.

I like celebrity, but would expect a higher cost for the luxury lines you mention.

Apples!

This is a very bad comparison and is not relevant to the issue at hand. Most who sell items here in the US are on salary, and are not based on tips. And, with today's markup of items such as cars, televisions and the rest, even with "sale" prices, they are not losing money. Now, if you were to talk about those in the service industry, such as waiters, waitresses, buspersons and the like, tipping is the same. Those workers are not paid the US minimum hourly wage because they rely on tips in addition to their hourly salary. Got a problem, sail on lines that include gratuities in their fares, and pay 3 to 4 times what you pay on Celebrity, et.al.

I can appreciate the point you make. I was hoping to equate tips with commission that the sales staff rely upon. Not my best post but I can make the link.

It is the only valid comparison because those are the only US based lines that include gratuities. If those who are complaining about gratuities want to cruise on lines that provide that in their fares, they will have to bite the bullet and cruise on those lines, and pay the higher fares, which of course, include more things that a mass market line includes. But like I said, the comparison is very valid because they are the only lines that don't ask for extra tips.

Nonsense. Since tipping is the US norm, you have to look beyond the US for lines with less of a tipping cult

ure.

Do the Italians make a direct comparison between Fiat and Ferrari and expect the only difference in price to be accounted for the badge. They are in different leagues, yet both Italian.

Yet the Italians know that cars are available from Japan which often include extra features for the basic cost.

American corporations are taxaphobic (not a real word). RCI (Celebrity's parent) paid less than 1% in Federal corporate taxes last year. How do they do this? Keep the number of Americans working for the corporation to a minimum; hire dozens of tax lawyers; foreign flag your ships; hire foreign workers and let them deal with tax issues with their own country; tip salaries never hit the books of RCI. Last year, Richard Fain, the CEO of RCI made $8,615,185.00 -- which is pretty modest compared to most American CEOs. That's 259 times the amount the average American makes.

Keeps cruise prices really low, but of course, the United States is almost bankrupt.

We want the biggest and best military; our Social Security system was raided of all it's money early on; we won't fund a social program unless there is a herd of corporations that benefit from the program. As long as you embrace denial, we live in the best country in the world. Having said that, "it's really cheap to cruise" and we love it.:)

I do not blame corporations for legally avoiding taxes. It is capitalism and to be expected.

Government cannot control its spending, unlike corporations, it does not function on a balance sheet. When 40% of government spending is borrowed, government is out of control.

"won't fund a social program" sorry, but we have funded too many, way beyond our ability to pay.

Well said Lizzy. I get really upset when US cruisers start on us assuming we will not pay the tips. It's time the cruise lines just accepted that some people won't tip and made it a booking condition that tips are paid upfront as per Select Dining. Ok, let the flaming begin. Its better than having people assume we are non-tippers when they hear the accent.

Perhaps you could give an example of where in this thread someone "start on us assuming we will not pay the tips."

If I price up a smaller Celebrity ship, pre-pay tips and take a Premium Alcoholic drinks package is your view that the cost would be similar?

My view is that the price difference would be substantial. If I am wrong then I may well be interested.

I haven't done this type of comparison - could you be more definitive on the comparison you have in mind.

Perhaps you misunderstood me, my point is that Celebrity is a exceptional value, even with the additional daily tips.

I do think that cultural differences play a huge part in this whole debate. In the UK many people DO TIP especially hairdressers, taxi drivers and waiters. However it is the standard amount that is tipped that varies greatly with the USA. I don't know anyone who has tipped 20% plus in a restaurant in the UK.

In the UK everyone has to be paid at least the minimum wage so it is seen as a token of appreciation rather than an expectation and often is a case of "keep the change". It is also seen to be a definite optional bonus for good service given and having waitressed in a hotel restaurant in my student days I can tell you that the majority of people don't. :rolleyes: The tips in the restaurant were pooled which is general practice.

Travel agents also pay a part and if asked specifically will quote Celebrity and say that they are optional and can be removed at guest services. We can't blame people who have been encouraged to do this if they think it is the norm.

Gratuities

For your convenience, we will automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion.

Another issue is that many people from the UK have cruised or know someone who has cruised with P&O so they do not expect the $11.50pppd, or the fact that children will be charged which isn't the case on many cruise lines. My parents shared a table with one couple in April on P&O who proudly announced that they had just removed the gratuities and thought it was a cheek even though that rate was only £3.10 a day!!!! :eek: Needless to say my parents were quite sharp saying they obviously hadn't bothered to read the literature which clearly stated the recommended amounts. ;)

At the end of the day I genuinely believe that UK passengers believe that the workers on cruise ships are all paid a minimum wage and it is this misconception that leads to such a divide culturally.

I have sailed a number of times on P&O although not latley as I prefer the American Cruise lines .

I have had the misfortune to meet up with some disagreeable people who took great delight in speaking down to the wait staff as if they were servants not waiters or cabin stewards practically telling them that they were lucky to have a job ect . Some of this was nothing other than boorish snobbery as if the UK still ran the Empire .

The self same people would then go on to tell you how mch they were saving by not drinking or sneaking drink on board and stiffing the wait staff of thier well deserved tips . I only wish I had the courage to challenge these people but this was a number of years ago and I would certainly not hold back now.

I just cannot belive that people from the UK think that the staff get the minimum wage as so much information is freely availble to anyone contemplating a cruise for them to check out. But even if they did not know you must accept that you are on an American Cruise line and tip accordingly .

Scotlsizzy

I just cannot belive that people from the UK think that the staff get the minimum wage as so much information is freely availble to anyone contemplating a cruise for them to check out. But even if they did not know you must accept that you are on an American Cruise line and tip accordingly .

Scotlsizzy

Hmm...I'm not sure I agree with your first point; the information is certainly available on forums such as this but we are in the minority of people who are interested enough to read and contribute to forums. We understand how the system works. The vast majority of people don't know Cruise Critic even exists.

The information certainly isn't on Celebrities web site or in their T&C's and even if it was (some) people just don't read stuff.

I believe the problem is partly cultural, partly terminology and partly a lack of understanding. However, as much as we may disagree, there will always be those who don't tip.

Another tipping story; overheard in the queue for a tender in Venice 'We're only tipping our steward half because he's only got one bed to make.'

Hi, just a question..

Celebrity automatically adds gratuities for your restaurant and cabin services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis at $11.50 per person, per day, if you're in a standard cabin; would it be acceptable to ask them not to do this when you check-in and say at the end of your cruise you will give tips in envelopes to the staff who you think deserve it?

Thank you.

The easy way is to use a TA that offers free gratuities as part of

the deal. Have a look around there are plenty that offer this.

For all those Brits that don't like the system use another cruise line if

you don't want to pay the tips.

What I cannot understand is all those moaners who ask why it cannot be included in the cruise fare,

well if its added to your account or prepaid then it is. Can you all just accept that it is as it is and go enjoy the

wonderful service that you all receive.

What has really annoyed me in the past is people who are really rude to

staff and then go complain at guest relations just so they feel somewhat

justified in removing the tips from their onboard accounts.

Shameful.

i have added my comments earlier but to avoid some penny piniching miserly custmers i would suggest that the service charge is made compulsary if you dont pay you don't get to sail on the fab ships !

Scotslizzy

could not agree more:)

The easy way is to use a TA that offers free gratuities as part of

the deal. Have a look around there are plenty that offer this.

For all those Brits that don't like the system use another cruise line if

you don't want to pay the tips.

What I cannot understand is all those moaners who ask why it cannot be included in the cruise fare,

well if its added to your account or prepaid then it is. Can you all just accept that it is as it is and go enjoy the

wonderful service that you all receive.

What has really annoyed me in the past is people who are really rude to

staff and then go complain at guest relations just so they feel somewhat

justified in removing the tips from their onboard accounts.

Shameful.

I agree that it is as it is and if you don't like the system, you don't have to cruise.

I think included tips in the advertised cruise fare from TAs will soon become a thing of the past, unless the actual price is inflated. Cunard/P&O have changed their commission rates to TAs (from 2012, I think) from 15% to 5%, leaving very little room for pre paid tips/ OBC. There was an article in the Times Travel section this week saying that Carnival and other major cruise lines are considering following suit. I'm not sure if this applies just to the UK TAs or will be Worldwide.

The option to pre pay is good as this can be factored into the cruise budget at time of booking rather than ending up with quite a large final onboard bill before even spending a penny. I think some pax would spend more onboard with a clear account from the start. If it remains an option then people can choose what suits them best.

We prepaid our tips on Celebrity as we had select dining. We tipped extra as and when we felt like it, including our cabin stewards, but I didn't like how one of them made it obvious that an extra tip was expected. I was slightly worried they didn't know we'd prepaid? It's difficult not to feel you should tip more.

I would like to see tips included in cruise prices purely because that would mean we all pay what is in reality a hotel charge, rather than some of us subsidising the pax who have removed theirs.

In the UK, cruising is becoming increasingly popular with many cruising for the first time; we had 1000 new cruisers out of 3000 on a recent P&O cruise. If they are being told by TAs (who want to sell the cruises to whoever will pay) that the tips are optional or discretional, it's hardly surprising that many remove them. They don't all peruse these boards and understand the reason for tipping like we do. At least Celebrity has recognised that and made some changes already, with bar gratuities added to drinks on UK sailings. Happy cruisers spend more.

One of the lovely things about Celebrity's connected brand Azamara is that all tips (including drinks) are included in the fare and no member of the crew expects more. There is of course no risk the crew member might think you have not prepaid. All are genuinely surprised and delighted if more is given at the end of the cruise but you have to hunt out people to do so - no more of the room stewards hanging around outside your door on the last day

And the service on board is exceptional

I would like, as others have said, to see Celebrity take this step as well

The problem is too many have the attitude of "I will never see them again" and leave nothing. The staff works very hard behind the scene. Each one has a area of the ship that they have to clean besides their "regular" duty. They are not paid a salary and rely on tips. The amount allocated or suggest is very small if related to leaving 15/20% for what a comparable dinner, lunch and breakfast would cost.

The best is to leave it and reward someone special by giving more at the end of the cruise.

A friend was sailing with us and had that attitude. He left no TIP. When we got off the ship he couldn't find his luggage. It came up missing. We left him and his wife at the port as we got into a cab to the airport. He never found his luggage and missed his flight. He deserved what he got. Don't mess with Karma.

It is the cost of traveling. The same as parking, transfers, flights, and etc. Our last base cruise price was $2174.50 and all the extras were another $2134.25 . That cheap $999 AQ balcony was just 1/4 of the total cost and was expected. Unless you live close to the cruise port and can have someone drop you off and pick you up plan on spending a ton more.

To the OP, I just returned from my first X Cruise and I have to say the service was above what I had expected. I am not a well off person, and the cruise was a gift to me from my father. I was worried about the tips being added per day in the beginning. HOWEVER, once on board and I was treated so very well and saw how hard all the crew worked, the tip amount really is a small part of the wonderful experience I had. I paid off my account at the half way point, and then again on the last evening.

I have to also add that this was the FIRST time I have ever given extra to anyone on a cruiseline. Those that I gave extra to made my 7 days feel like a month of pampered treatment. The crew really do work hard and they do work for tips.

My advise to you is to just go with the flow. You know what your daily tips will be so just board the ship with a smile and relax and dont worry about such a small portion in the grand experience.

I cannot say enough great things about X and hope to one day be able to sail with them again.

Perhaps you could give an example of where in this thread someone "start on us assuming we will not pay the tips."
I was not referring to anyone on this thread by my statement. I was talking about people we have met on cruises who believe that ALL Brits stiff the crew. One lady told me very bluntly that she did not believe that anyone pre-paid tips (we do) and I was only saying that to get out of tipping. She said it would be madness to pay in advance without knowing what kind of service would be received. After 48 cruises I can honestly say that we have never had service bad enough to remove the tips. I apologise if I have mis-led anyone here.

I think it is a damn cheek a cruise line telling you how much you should tip & automatically charging it to your on board account! You can ask to have it removed & that is what we will do.

I think $11.50 a day is far too much.

I wish cruise lines would include the tips in the price of the cruise, I believe a few do.

jenpet

Can you spell C-H-E-A-P?

Madcity: Amen! Personally, I like that the tips are put on my account, which takes care of a lot of behind-the-scenes folks that you almost never see or with whom you never interact. It gives you the freedom to punctuate the service you truly appreciated, rewarding your room steward who was always in the hallway near your cabin, no matter what time of day, silently keeping your cabin cared for.

I can't believe people will spend the amount of money they do for the cruise fare and complain about tipping the myriad of folks that make that experience special. Amazing.

I think it is a damn cheek a cruise line telling you how much you should tip & automatically charging it to your on board account! You can ask to have it removed & that is what we will do.

I think $11.50 a day is far too much.

I wish cruise lines would include the tips in the price of the cruise, I believe a few do.

jenpet

We always figure tips/service fees/gratuities as a part of the total cost of our cruise.

Another question about gratuities.

We will have traditional dining and will have tips added to our online account. If I want to pay extra to only one person at the end of the cruise is that acceptable - say the room steward?

Another question about gratuities.

We will have traditional dining and will have tips added to our online account. If I want to pay extra to only one person at the end of the cruise is that acceptable - say the room steward?

Yes, the gratuities/tips added to you online account are distributed. If you wish to add an additional amount for a specific person, then use cash. I get an envelope from the front desk and give the additional tip(s) with a note in the envelope thanking them. You can't add additional tips to your online account for a specific individual - do it directly. I also carry a few $$ to give to special waitstaff and so on at the end of the cruise.

Den

Yes, the gratuities/tips added to you online account are distributed. If you wish to add an additional amount for a specific person, then use cash. I get an envelope from the front desk and give the additional tip(s) with a note in the envelope thanking them. You can't add additional tips to your online account for a specific individual - do it directly. I also carry a few $$ to give to special waitstaff and so on at the end of the cruise.

Den

Thanks, Den. They don't have to split the extra tip, do they?

Whether or not a waiter or room steward is supposed to split cash they receive...there is nothing you can do about it.

Personally, I would like to think that the extra tip/cash I hand to someone winds up in their personal pockets.

Whether or not a waiter or room steward is supposed to split cash they receive...there is nothing you can do about it.

Personally, I would like to think that the extra tip/cash I hand to someone winds up in their personal pockets.

I understand there would be nothing they could do about it but does anyone know for a fact if they do have to split it up.

Archived