All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Isn't the MDR open for lunch?

Not on embarkation day, nor on a port day. Only on sea days.

The only exception I know is for consecutive cruisers. Some ships (not all) will host a special luncheon in the MDR for the consecutive cruisers.

Edited by clarea

Guest maddycat
Not on embarkation day, nor on a port day. Only on sea days.

The only exception I know is for consecutive cruisers. Some ships (not all) will host a special luncheon in the MDR for the consecutive cruisers.

We just returned from the Explorer's 9 night Bermuda & Caribbean cruise. The MDR was opened on 2 port days: St. Maarten and San Juan. I'm sure that the port times determined the MDR opening. We docked in St. Maarten at noon and departed San Juan at 1pm.

:confused: Not having any luck in my searches, can anyone post the drink prices? i.e.: Beer, Wine, Soda, Mixed drinks, the good stuff (Capt. Morgan, if they have it). I am trying to figure out if the drink packages are worth it. Thanks in advance.

I didn't think it was a difficult question!

We just returned from the Explorer's 9 night Bermuda & Caribbean cruise. The MDR was opened on 2 port days: St. Maarten and San Juan. I'm sure that the port times determined the MDR opening. We docked in St. Maarten at noon and departed San Juan at 1pm.

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification.

Drinks usually range from $4-10 on average for mixed drinks. Obviously "top shelf" will cost a bit more.

I can tell you that on our Oasis cruise a 16 ounce domestic beer with tip came to $6.04.

Thank you.

Edited by Seaworthy01

Hi all -- we're a group of four leaving in a few weeks on the explorer. I'm planning to email the dining director to request a round table for 8-10, as we like meeting new people, but think the round table facilitates conversation so much better.

Anyway, I've heard many negative comments about less than stellar locations by the kitchen or behind the staircase.. so I got to thinking -- what's the best location on explorer? Where would you ask for your table to be located if you were sending in a request? Thanks!

Hi all -- we're a group of four leaving in a few weeks on the explorer. I'm planning to email the dining director to request a round table for 8-10, as we like meeting new people, but think the round table facilitates conversation so much better.

Anyway, I've heard many negative comments about less than stellar locations by the kitchen or behind the staircase.. so I got to thinking -- what's the best location on explorer? Where would you ask for your table to be located if you were sending in a request? Thanks!

Our last cruise on the Explorer we had a party of 12, I went to the dinning room and spoke to the matradee on embarkation day and requested a table to accommodate all of us and there wasn't any problem getting that accomplished. We ate in the main dining room every night and had a great time with our wait staff.

Looking for some detailed information about getting from Kings Wharf to the crystal caves. Ferry to Hamilton then bus to the caves? Or, ferry to St. George then bus to the caves? How far from the caves entrance is the bus stop?Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Any advise would be appreciated.

Looking for some detailed information about getting from Kings Wharf to the crystal caves. Ferry to Hamilton then bus to the caves? Or, ferry to St. George then bus to the caves? How far from the caves entrance is the bus stop?Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Any advise would be appreciated.

We were just there last month. We took the ferry to Hamilton (because the St. Georges ferry wasnt running yet) then the bus. The bus stop is across the street from the entrance...short walk. We did both Crystal and Fantasy Caves. I had never seen a cave before, so it was neat to me. I don't need to repeat the experience though. It is slippery. If you choose to do Fantasy Cave as well, keep in mind that the steps are STEEP....I mean, STEEP. In my opinion, you really don't need to do both caves.

We walked from there around the corner to the Swizzle Inn for lunch.

There is a bus top right by the caves if I remember it correctly though we used scooters on our visit there so I could be a little off. The caves are sort of half way between Hamilton and St. George so you could actually do it either way. You could consider going to Hamilton by ferry, taking the bus to the caves, then taking the bus to St. George, and then the ferry back to King's Wharf. That would make for a nice day.

Edited by Ocean Boy

We were just there last month. We took the ferry to Hamilton (because the St. Georges ferry wasnt running yet) then the bus. The bus stop is across the street from the entrance...short walk. We did both Crystal and Fantasy Caves. I had never seen a cave before, so it was neat to me. I don't need to repeat the experience though. It is slippery. If you choose to do Fantasy Cave as well, keep in mind that the steps are STEEP....I mean, STEEP. In my opinion, you really don't need to do both caves.

We walked from there around the corner to the Swizzle Inn for lunch.

We did both also. However, if someone is pressed for time I would recommend Crystal over Fantasy. Though they are both interesting I thought Crystal was the more pretty of the two.