All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

That's a lot bigger than the standard royal advantage drydock! I'm skeptical that they'd be able to add that many staterooms without a stretch.

At this point, anything is possible.

That would make it almost Freedom Class size. Interesting. That's ok, whatever they decide to do they have 470 days from today to complete it. ;)

Eric

I think Royal does offer transfers from the airport for $27/pp, but you can arrange a car service for a similar amount of money if you have two people. From the port to the airport the cost for a shared shuttle is $16/pp.

Another question:

When I called last week to check on possibly upgrading, the rep sent me a "Guest (APIS) Information Form". It says it's required to be filled out, but they recommend checking in online. It says you can complete it and fax it. Has anyone else gotten this?

The only info missing (because I did the online check in) was passport issue date. There is nowhere online to submit that...just expiration date.

Do I need to fill this out? I guess better safe than sorry, right?

• 2 weeks later...
As noted above, it is done all the time usually with travel agents or Chamber of Commerce reps so they can go back and tell their clientele about the ship so they will book it. MDR is used for lunch for the guests before they leave the ship. They get a tour of the ship to see it and some of its features and many times they also get to see different categories of cabins as well. They may also leave the ship with a package of "goodies" consisting of items with the ship's logo on it. It's all done to increase sales of future bookings for the ship.

Passengers are not allowed in their cabins until around 1:30 PM. So the cabins are off limits allowing viewing of the cabins to be done while passengers are eating in the Windjammer. There is a method to RCCI madness!:D

MARAPRINCE

My wife and I have purchased a 1 day tour of the Explorer as she is docked in Bayonne. We got it through AAA out of Allentown, PA. It includes bus to and from Port Liberty, a tour of the ship and facilities as well as lunch in the Windjammer. It is on 2May and cost $59pp.

Bob:)

Godd news for who? I'm one of those who have booked with a group for Feb 9 sailing!:eek: Sure hope they firm up the schedule and let us know if we have to reschedule soon!

When it says coming in feb 2014...it will have been done by then...however as others have said, revenue has not blocked out dates for this to be done. At this point it would have a lot of backlash of already booked guests to move. They also have a pretty tough schedule as it is. They moved the Adventure schedule three times. I have had to adjust my booking to what it is now...and it is the original booking I had. That being said and with airfare now open for these dates or almost in your case for sailing as you need the ending date of the cruise to become available, they would surely need to have the dates confirmed with the shipyard the work is being done as to not have to have further booking issues perhaps. Not sure..hopefully some of our members that are agents will chime in.

Thanks for the reply, I just found this list of upgrades online...........

EXPLORER of the SEAS

Coming December 22, 2014

•Outdoor movie screen

•Updated Vintages wine bar

•Park Café

•Chef’s Table

•Giovanni’s Table

•Digital Signage

•Pervasive Wi-Fi

•Flat-screen TVs

•Interactive TVs

•Concierge Club

•Diamond Club

•Nursery

If Explorer is getting a park cafe, does this mean there will be a central park in the ship?

If Explorer is getting a park cafe, does this mean there will be a central park in the ship?

No, they will not add Central Park to Explorer.

Hard to say where they will put it because no Voyager class ship has had Park Cafe added yet. They added Boardwalk Dog House to Mariner, and they put that on the pool deck. The could to the same with Explorer, or maybe put Park Cafe in the Solarium.

Edited by clarea

No, they will not add Central Park to Explorer.

Hard to say where they will put it because no Voyager class ship has had Park Cafe added yet. They added Boardwalk Dog House to Mariner, and they put that on the pool deck. The could to the same with Explorer, or maybe put Park Cafe in the Solarium.

Thanks for answering Bob. :)

Guest maddycat
RCCL is now saying that the Explorer upgrades have been "rescheduled" for January 2015...

Very Interesting!

Where did you hear/see that?

Guest maddycat
Another question:

When I called last week to check on possibly upgrading, the rep sent me a "Guest (APIS) Information Form". It says it's required to be filled out, but they recommend checking in online. It says you can complete it and fax it. Has anyone else gotten this?

The only info missing (because I did the online check in) was passport issue date. There is nowhere online to submit that...just expiration date.

Do I need to fill this out? I guess better safe than sorry, right?

If you filled out the onling setsail pass form that's all that you need. Print out a copy and bring that along with your passport (or certified birth certificate and government issued photo ID) and a credit card (or cash) to the pier.

If you filled out the onling setsail pass form that's all that you need. Print out a copy and bring that along with your passport (or certified birth certificate and government issued photo ID) and a credit card (or cash) to the pier.

Thank you. I've never seen that particular form before and wasn't sure if I should complete that too.

RCCL is now saying that the Explorer upgrades have been "rescheduled" for January 2015...

Very Interesting!

I spoke with RCCL this morning about a cruise & I asked when the drydock is scheduled. I was told January or February 2015. So no revitalization until then.

Several years ago, I was in balcony cabin 9648 and I seem to remember that the baclony cut-out was rounded and there was a solid metal partition separating my balcony cabin from the adjacent cabin balcony. Looking at cruise critic pictures, I see there are glass dividers separating most balcony cabins. Is my memory correct in that there are some balcony cabins with solid metal partitions and others with glass partitions? Thanks.

Several years ago, I was in balcony cabin 9648 and I seem to remember that the baclony cut-out was rounded and there was a solid metal partition separating my balcony cabin from the adjacent cabin balcony. Looking at cruise critic pictures, I see there are glass dividers separating most balcony cabins. Is my memory correct in that there are some balcony cabins with solid metal partitions and others with glass partitions? Thanks.

On deck six we had metal partitions. Not sure about the other decks.

I'm not sure what pictures you are looking at but most balcony partitions on Explorer are metal. Adventure and Voyager have metal also. Navigator and Mariner have glass.

I spoke with RCCL this morning about a cruise & I asked when the drydock is scheduled. I was told January or February 2015. So no revitalization until then.

Maybe we should start an Explorer refit betting pool? Closest to the real date gets a free cruise. My date would be January 6th, 2015.

Maybe we should start an Explorer refit betting pool? Closest to the real date gets a free cruise. My date would be January 6th, 2015.

that could be along with how many times is the adventure drydock going to be changed, weeks added, weeks deleted...and now two cruises out of Miami before heading to England....who knows...