All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

is the solarium at least covered?

No. Well, not exactly, the roof is open and there are covered areas around the edges, but not enough to make any difference. The pool and a lot of the loungers are under the opening.

Guest maddycat
I was under the impression that the "adults only" solarium was indoors and had a pool?

It has a large open center area in the roof.

Edited by maddycat

May will be our first cruise on Explorer AND RCCL itself. I saw a post that mentioned "there are wifi hot spots around the ship" which scared me. I take it that means that there isn't wifi all over the ship? Only selected spots. YIKES I thought it was throughout the ship.

And I've cruised before and know the wifi is iffy and sporatic, and sometimes you have to face only in one direction or balance your laptop on your head - that I expect. But are there vast areas with no Wifi??:eek:

Specifically I'm interested in the solarium.

May will be our first cruise on Explorer AND RCCL itself. I saw a post that mentioned "there are wifi hot spots around the ship" which scared me. I take it that means that there isn't wifi all over the ship? Only selected spots. YIKES I thought it was throughout the ship.

And I've cruised before and know the wifi is iffy and sporatic, and sometimes you have to face only in one direction or balance your laptop on your head - that I expect. But are there vast areas with no Wifi??:eek:

Specifically I'm interested in the solarium.

Until Explorer goes through the revitalization dry dock, scheduled for late 2014, there are only about a half-dozen WiFi hotspots around the ship. There will be a brochure at the guest computer area (deck 8, aft centrum) that maps the hotspots.

Edited by clarea

Sorry to be a johnny come lately to the thread, but given it's at 113 pages now, I don't feel *quite* as bad - we're looking to do a 7-night cruse and notice that several of the balcony hump cabins on deck six are available. Does anybody know if any of these cabins are more/less desirable than the others (ie does one of them have a bigger/smaller balcony than the others, for instance?)

Thanks!

Sorry to be a johnny come lately to the thread, but given it's at 113 pages now, I don't feel *quite* as bad - we're looking to do a 7-night cruse and notice that several of the balcony hump cabins on deck six are available. Does anybody know if any of these cabins are more/less desirable than the others (ie does one of them have a bigger/smaller balcony than the others, for instance?)

Thanks!

There's no benefit to more room in a hump cabin vs. a standard cabin on Explorer. The close proximity to the elevators & stairs is great, along with the different types of views you can get depending where on the hump your cabin is.

Happy Cruising!

Until Explorer goes through the revitalization dry dock, scheduled for late 2014, there are only about a half-dozen WiFi hotspots around the ship. There will be a brochure at the guest computer area (deck 8, aft centrum) that maps the hotspots.

Thank you for the information, but I am really crestfallen. I had been a bit worried about sailing on RCCL and an older ship having been on HAL's two newest ships for my last 5 cruises, and now I'm really concerned about the trip. I'm off to call RCCL and see if I can find out where the hot Spots are.

I don't want to have to run to my cabin just to pick up email. :(

I just spoke with RCCL and if anyone else cares, the hot spots are in the following locations:

Crown lounge

Solarium (YAY, that's where we want it)

iCafe

Library

Cafe Prominade

Crown & Kettle

Schooner Bar

Conference center.

I don't know how I made reservations and missed that Explorer doesn't have wifi throughout the ship, especially since the website says: Wi-Fi

Check your email. Surf the web. Stay in touch. Bring your laptop onboard and enjoy 24/7 internet connectivity throughout the ship. Per minute rate applies. which I stupidly took to me ALL throughout the ship.

Thank you for the information, but I am really crestfallen. I had been a bit worried about sailing on RCCL and an older ship having been on HAL's two newest ships for my last 5 cruises, and now I'm really concerned about the trip. I'm off to call RCCL and see if I can find out where the hot Spots are.

I don't want to have to run to my cabin just to pick up email. :(

There is little chance of that, because there's no WiFi in your cabin.:)

The WiFi will be in places like the guest computer area, Schooner Bar, Viking Crown, etc.

I am cruising on Mar. 15. What will it be like cruising at that time of the year????? I've only ever cruised in the summer, except for one that I left from Puerto Rico. I suppose the first night is pretty chilly so I guess most people stay inside. Dumb question but will there be heat in the cabins?? When does it start to warm up??Day 2???? This will be interesting for me but I am excited.

I am cruising on Mar. 15. What will it be like cruising at that time of the year????? I've only ever cruised in the summer, except for one that I left from Puerto Rico. I suppose the first night is pretty chilly so I guess most people stay inside. Dumb question but will there be heat in the cabins?? When does it start to warm up??Day 2???? This will be interesting for me but I am excited.

Hi Lynn. I am on the March 15th sailing as well. Last year we did the 10-day trip that left on March 9th and we absolutely loved it despite leaving in cold weather. Some people were out by the pools in shorts and long sleeve t-shirts or sweatshirts on day two. By day 3 everyone was in their bathing suits. On the way back the 2nd to last day is still warm while the last day is a little cool (but not cold).

There is heat in the cabins but we never used it last year even though it was cold on day 1.

It might sound weird but I am more excited for this trip than I was for my Allure trip this past September even though I love that ship and it was hot all 7 days.

The first and last sea days are usually in days, although last March we had hot weather all the way home. The inside of the ship is temp controlled so even if the last day is an in day, we are still in shorts and tanks.

Thanks for all the input on my Mar. 15th cruise. I think I'll bring some warmer clothes for the beginning and end of cruise!! Last March was warm so when I left to fly to Puerto Rico I wore a capris and a hoodie and was fine. With the way this winter is, I don't expect warm weather, but who knows!!

took the same cruise two years ago in january the day after a snowstorm. the very next day it was summer wear and people in the pool.

-Roger

I just returned Sun. from a week on Ex. The one common thing i heard from people trying to use the wi-fi service was that it was not very good, they either couldn't connect at all and when they finally did, it took forever. In the beginning of the week I often overheard people on the phone with guest services complaining that they couldn't connect, this was from the RC Online area as our cabin was located very close to it.

Re the cabin temp, we did need to turn up the heat in our cabin and the beginning and end of the trip, ir worked great. We were able to wear summerish clothing on Tues when we arrived at Port Canaveral.

I'm getting ready to book May 30th on Explorer. Cabins available are on Deck 2. Forward and Midship are the Theater, Conference Room and Ice Rink. I can't tell what is Aft. Can anyone tell me what it's like to stay on deck 2? I'd like to be near the elevators, but am concerned that they would be the noisiest rooms. What is it like when people are arriving and leaving shows...and how loud is it during the shows?

Thank you.