All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Is there a Chocolate Breakfast on this ship? Does anyone know what day it currently is on the menu?

Every ship we have been on has a chocolate breakfast at least one day. Talk with a waiter or headwaiter to find out what day they plan to have it.

Yes, there's a chocolate breakfast, but they don't advertise it. We found out when we got to the dining room one time. We missed it a couple of times when we ate in the WJ because we had an excursion we needed to get off early for and it was served on a port day. I've also never seen it offered in the Suite breakfast that's served in the specialty restaurants, so we have missed it when we've had GS too.

I was just reading the newsletter from AAA and on the back page they advertise a one day tour of the Explorer on May 2nd for $59. It includes a motor coach to Bayonne, tour of the shop, lunch on board and motor coach back. I'm just wondering how they squeeze this in. After checking RC's schedules, it's a turn around day. One cruise is disembarking (the 5 night from Bermuda) while the 9 night Bermuda & Caribbean will be boarding. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm wondering if they'd let the tour people on early to get us out of the way before regular boarding begins? We're taking the 5 night cruise to Bermuda in June and although we've been on the Explorer before, this sounds like fun!

I was just reading the newsletter from AAA and on the back page they advertise a one day tour of the Explorer on May 2nd for $59. It includes a motor coach to Bayonne, tour of the shop, lunch on board and motor coach back. I'm just wondering how they squeeze this in. After checking RC's schedules, it's a turn around day. One cruise is disembarking (the 5 night from Bermuda) while the 9 night Bermuda & Caribbean will be boarding. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm wondering if they'd let the tour people on early to get us out of the way before regular boarding begins? We're taking the 5 night cruise to Bermuda in June and although we've been on the Explorer before, this sounds like fun!

I've seen groups on board before during turnaround day. Many times they are wearing badges and it's obvious they are travel agents. They come on board when normal guest boarding starts and eat in Windjammer with the newly boarded guests. They can stay on until the first announcement for muster.

On our cruise in January it was Lipton.

They are changing over to "First Tea". On our Feb 10th cruise most of the teas were First Tea (www dot firsttea dot com). If you are a fan of Herbal, Decaf, teas I suggest that you bring your own. The only Herbal, Decaf tea that we found was a Herbal Mint tea. Not as good as Lipton as it was only Peppermint Leaf, not a blend as most Lipton teas were.

They did have a decent variety of other tea flavors.

Steve

EEMAXX would you mind giving the date/issue number of the newsletter containing the info on this trip? I called AAA and they were unable to help me even tho I am a longtime member. DW and I are booked for our first cruise and it just happens to be out of Bayonne on the Explorer. This would be an excellent orientation trip for us. Any more details would be appreciated. Thank you. Bob

EEMAXX would you mind giving the date/issue number of the newsletter containing the info on this trip? I called AAA and they were unable to help me even tho I am a longtime member. DW and I are booked for our first cruise and it just happens to be out of Bayonne on the Explorer. This would be an excellent orientation trip for us. Any more details would be appreciated. Thank you. Bob

Sure- the info is in the March edition called "Traveler" (the newspaper type newsletter). The contact info given is 1-800-472-9367, press 4 or e-mail travelhamilton@aaaeastpenn.com Hope this helps!

Guest maddycat
Thanks for the reply, I just found this list of upgrades online...........

EXPLORER of the SEAS

Coming December 22, 2014

•Outdoor movie screen

•Updated Vintages wine bar

•Park Café

•Chef’s Table

•Giovanni’s Table

•Digital Signage

•Pervasive Wi-Fi

•Flat-screen TVs

•Interactive TVs

•Concierge Club

•Diamond Club

•Nursery

Good news. The Explorer's Drydock has been moved up to Feb. 2014.

RCI drydock schedule

Whoh. If this is true then what happens to the people who had cruises booked for Jan. 31, Feb. 9, 16 and 23 in 2014?

Usually reservations are cancelled, money is refunded, and some sort of consideration (OBC, rate protection, airline reimbusement) MAY be offered. All they really have to do is a full refund.

Guest maddycat
Whoh. If this is true then what happens to the people who had cruises booked for Jan. 31, Feb. 9, 16 and 23 in 2014?

The drydock schedule says Feb. 2014. It doesn't specify a date. It could be early or late in the month. I would guess that once things are firmed up, RCI will be contacting passengers who are already booked about rescheduling.

The drydock schedule says Feb. 2014. It doesn't specify a date. It could be early or late in the month. I would guess that once things are firmed up, RCI will be contacting passengers who are already booked about rescheduling.

Seems weird that their own captains didn't know of this recently?!!! And that it was going to be a 6 week deal --- something is not quite right! V.:)

Is there a Chocolate Breakfast on this ship? Does anyone know what day it currently is on the menu?

Yes they do, did not know it was called the "Chocolate Breakfast"

It is however, a upscale "Brunch" in the MDR.....

Not well advertised, but listed just the same...lots and lots of food to pig out on if that's what people want to do.....

RCI drydock schedule

That is good news for us. We are on board the Explorer in June 2014. I loved the enhancements on the Freedom of the Seas, so these will be welcome changes on the Explorer. I was even won over by the big screen in the pool area. I was against these at first, but once I experienced it on the Freedom, it was not a problem during the day and really enhanced the viewing and crowd participation in the pool deck activities.

Eric

I've seen groups on board before during turnaround day. Many times they are wearing badges and it's obvious they are travel agents. They come on board when normal guest boarding starts and eat in Windjammer with the newly boarded guests. They can stay on until the first announcement for muster.

As noted above, it is done all the time usually with travel agents or Chamber of Commerce reps so they can go back and tell their clientele about the ship so they will book it. MDR is used for lunch for the guests before they leave the ship. They get a tour of the ship to see it and some of its features and many times they also get to see different categories of cabins as well. They may also leave the ship with a package of "goodies" consisting of items with the ship's logo on it. It's all done to increase sales of future bookings for the ship.

Passengers are not allowed in their cabins until around 1:30 PM. So the cabins are off limits allowing viewing of the cabins to be done while passengers are eating in the Windjammer. There is a method to RCCI madness!:D

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

I'd be pretty upset if they canceled my cruise after I've already paid for non-refundable airfare and a hotel room. Those flight dates open up around 309 days in advance of your trip. Passengers will be able to start booking air travel soon. They better make up their minds now!

In February 2013 the captain and hotel director believed re-fit would happen late 2014 or early 2015.

Edited by steveru621

I believe they leave it open just in case something changes after that date - drydock?

She should just be getting the royal refit, not affecting stateroom layout (hopefully). Shouldn't be a difference. What are you looking for?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I was on the February 17th sailing and was told by the Captain that the refit would include 109 new staterooms....mostly outside. The staterooms would be prefab and would just need to be installed and hooked up!

RCI drydock schedule

The booking period from Jan 2014 through August 2014 is completely open. The D+ Desk

Has no information about a 2014 Drydock in February 2014. They have a Drydock scheduled for late November 2014 ?.

I was on the February 17th sailing and was told by the Captain that the refit would include 109 new staterooms....mostly outside. The staterooms would be prefab and would just need to be installed and hooked up!

That's a lot bigger than the standard royal advantage drydock! I'm skeptical that they'd be able to add that many staterooms without a stretch.

At this point, anything is possible.