Inside vs. oceanview

iamcsm

Thinking about doing another 14 day Hawaii cruise. We've always had an inside cabin. Is it worth the cost to upgrade to oceanview? Is there that much of a benefit to get to look out the window? Is the money better spent on excursions?

I know balcony is best, and some would never cruise without a balcony, but that's not possible for us at this time.

Am curious of your opinions and reasons either way between inside or oceanview. Thanks.

It all depends on you.

I've only stayed in one inside cabin. It was kind of claustrophobic to me. I need to know when it is night and day.

Others will tell you differently.

There would always be the option of selecting an obstructed OV. This would at least give you some natural light, but would probably be a little less than the cost of an OV.

I really appreciate your point. With air fares so high and many repo cruises at great prices, I will fore go the balcony so I can afford the air fare with the cruise. I've cruised in inside cabins and it's never been an issue for me.

Since I'm cruising solo on these trips, the space factor really isn't an issue.

I plan on booking a guarantee inside so the possibility of getting an upgrade to an OOV or OV is there. You might want to consider that.:)

Our first cruise was an inside cabin but since then we have always done outside or balcony but we are travelling in Sept & it was going to cost an extra £300 each for even obstructed. We decided for £600 (which is (about $1000) we can manage as its almost another cruise for one of us! Think its best to weigh up the extra cost against how much time you are likely to spend in the cabin. We booked a guarantee too so taking a big risk but will love the trip no matter what & looking forward to going back to Princess. Good luck with getting a great deal.

It's different for everyone, but I typically get the cheapest cabin possible. I prefer to spend my time out on the decks and in the ports. I would personally never get a balcony unless it had at least 2 seas days per seven days sailing. But that's me. I spend my money elsewhere, and frankly can't afford a balcony every time. The 'telling whether it's night or day' thing is easily solved by leaving your TV tuned to the bridgecam and on mute while you sleep. That essentially makes it LIKE a window, your room lights up when the sun comes up each morning.

We also have sailed the Hawaii cruise in an inside cabin. We staked out a place in Skywalkers and spent much of the day there. I personally would not bother with a window. You can always turn on the TV to the "front of the ship" channel and see if it's morning yet.;)

We generally go for an obstructed ocean view cabin--but only if the price difference isn't too much. Because we have put down a deposit on a previous Princess cruise, we get onboard credit. The onboard credit for an ocean view cabin is $25 more per person, so that helps cut the difference in price.

But if the difference before considering the onboard credit were more than $100 per person, I'd go with an inside cabin. I can't see spending more than that just to have a little bit of a view.

Our first cruise was an inside cabin but since then we have always done outside or balcony but we are travelling in Sept & it was going to cost an extra £300 each for even obstructed. We decided for £600 (which is (about $1000) we can manage as its almost another cruise for one of us! Think its best to weigh up the extra cost against how much time you are likely to spend in the cabin. We booked a guarantee too so taking a big risk but will love the trip no matter what & looking forward to going back to Princess. Good luck with getting a great deal.

The price gap between the 4 cabin classes was also too great to even consider and obstructed view cabin. There's a big balcony upstairs anyway.

We either book a balcony or an inside cabin because for us the limited view & some daylight in any outside cabin isn't worth the extra cost. We've had outsides where the beds are against the outer bulkhead & when placed together in a queen size configuration you have to stand on the bed to get to the window. We've had balcony cabins when crossing the Pacific & Atlantic oceans & enjoyed them on the many days at sea. To Hawaii there are many seadays but since a balcony isn't an option, the we'd choose an inside cabin. Be careful about great prices on outside cabins because their location could be a problem. We found a deal on the least expensive OV on Plaza deck forward for the same price as our midship Caribe inside cabin. Getting input from those who have sailed in them, the reason they were so cheap (1/3 less than next category) was the showroom noise.

I'd suggest keeping your inside cabin, get out on deck & if possible to use the savings to enhance your experience in Hawaii. There's so much to do that you'll enjoy much more than some daylight & a limited view. Since insides work for you like it does for us, I'd get an inside cabin. We prefer to sail more often even if some believe it's like being in sterrage class. :p

We don't always need a balcony, but we always need some light. My husband will not stay one night in an inside cabin. If given the choice of staying home or having an inside, he would choose home.

Cugina Pia, the Navy taught me a few things because there were no other options so I learned to accept all of them: to sleep in the dark on the top bunk of 3 directly under the arresting gear & landing aircraft and that I could swim after they made me jump off a tower into a deep pool to tread water for 15 minutes before swimming up & back in an Olympic sized pool. :p

So thanks to the Navy, I sleep like a baby in an inside cabin...particularly one that's quiet. :D And they also gave me a love of snorkeling & scuba diving because I really can swim. ;)

But I also know many like your husband & it's good there are many options for all types of cruisers. :)

You won't be able to use your balcony the first couple of day because it's to cold and windy. Same coming back from Hawaii.

We've done 2 in a inside and one with balcony, and never used the balcony from the time we left Hawaii. I'd stick with the inside or a window cabin on Plaza deck. It's close to everything:D

I did one on a SF coastal and did not like it, even though I was by myself. My wife sleeps late and I get up early so a Mini Suite really helps in the morning.The difference between a balcony and a mini is not that much.

an inside is better than not going but as long as I am working, I probably will go for a Mini.

Cugina Pia, the Navy taught me a few things because there were no other options so I learned to accept all of them: to sleep in the dark on the top bunk of 3 directly under the arresting gear & landing aircraft and that I could swim after they made me jump off a tower into a deep pool to tread water for 15 minutes before swimming up & back in an Olympic sized pool. :p

So thanks to the Navy, I sleep like a baby in an inside cabin...particularly one that's quiet. :D And they also gave me a love of snorkeling & scuba diving because I really can swim. ;)

But I also know many like your husband & it's good there are many options for all types of cruisers. :)

Cugino Frank......... Cugino Mike did the Army, not the Navy. Maybe that's why. ;):D

We had an inside cabin for 74 nights last winter. This winter it looks like we'll have an inside cabin for at least 80 nights. I loved every minute of it. Frankly, I would prefer an inside in a good location to a balcony cabin in a bad location. We've had balcony cabins many times in the past; we just don't spend a lot of time in them or on our balcony. Which is funny because we have a large deck at home with a mountain view and we are on it all the time, and certainly every evening for sunset. I think there's just too many other things to do on a ship.

Cugino Frank......... Cugino Mike did the Army, not the Navy. Maybe that's why. ;):D

That must be the reason although I had a job on the flight deck & never went down into the bowels of the ship where they never saw the sun & were pale as ghosts! :eek:

We booked Golden Princess for this November in a cat E - partially obstructed OV. The location is right by the aft elevator, which is very important for us because of my husband mobility issues and appears to have only minor obstructions. I like OV's better than insides on Princess because they seem more roomy and open, but I wouldn't pay more for a totally obstructed. Our cabin cost approximately $200 pp more than the inside, a cost we felt was worth it for 14 days.

Thinking about doing another 14 day Hawaii cruise. We've always had an inside cabin. Is it worth the cost to upgrade to oceanview? Is there that much of a benefit to get to look out the window? Is the money better spent on excursions?

I know balcony is best, and some would never cruise without a balcony, but that's not possible for us at this time.

Am curious of your opinions and reasons either way between inside or oceanview. Thanks.

If you only use your cabin is sleep & change and are on a budget then an inside is all you need. An outside is nice because you have some nature light and a reference point to where you are and the time of day. While at sea it all just water and sometimes you'll get a nice sunset and when in port you might get a nice view of the surrounding areas. If you can afford an outside cabin and plan to spend some time in your cabin then go for an outside cabin. It's nicer then an inside, but cheaper then a balcony. My brother and wife just did the Hawaii Cruise and they got their first balcony and simply raved about it. They said it would be really hard to do anything less then a balcony.

For us it is inside or balcony.

The only time we had OV was when the cost was the same as for insides. I don't see any advantages of OV over insides except for knowing day/night, but for this you can use ship camera channel on TV. :):)

I found I like an inside better that a balcony or OV cruising in Alaska (4 cruises) as it stays light until nearly midnight and gets light again at around 3:30AM....on my last cruise I awoke at 3:30am went back to bed, woke again at 4:30 went back to bed but could not sleep, so I took a Jacuzzi bath and then a shower and still had plenty of time to spare until Sabatini's opened for breakfast.

(all cabins are the SAME when you are asleep :D)

most of the time,we've booked insides to save money. A few times we've had OVs (either upgraded or one time we did book an aft OV on a short Carnival cruise). My hubby liked the insides as he prefers to sleep in complete darkness (he used to work the graveyard shift for emergency services).

By the time we've booked our most recent cruise on the Golden, only obstructed OVs and window suites were left. We booked the OV and found it to be only slighted obstructed. Each of our port days, I woke up before we arrived in the ports and watched from the window.

Archived