Diamond+ stateroom upgrade

I would consider that a very good deal! We were able to tour the Sky Loft and Royal Sky Loft on the Allure on the pre inaguaral and the RSL is very nice..........and I would think that it's well worth what you paid.

Unfortunately, I still fell that the mega ships are overpriced, and continue to stay away from them. We may never do more than the pre inaguaral, until our grandchildren talk us into one of these floating cities.:)

Rick

Our favorite is the Sky Loft. Perfect size between the Royal Loft and Crown Loft. We were booked in CL for an upcoming January cruise and yesterday the Sky Loft became available and we grabbed it. :) We were supposed to be waitlisted but that never works.

This past June when I sailed Oasis I asked after I boarded how many D+ and above guests were aboard....ONLY 8 of us on the entire ship..and we were 4 of them booked between 2 cabins..... I was booked in the Royal Suite with my DD and my wife and other DD were booked in a Boardwalk cabin....the Royal Loft Suite stayed available right up to the day before sailing...nothing....and I even offered them my Boardwalk cabin back if they would upgrade all 4 of us together into the RLS. The cabin was occupied during the sailing....so someone got upgraded. Funny thing is that second day aboard the doorbell rang with an officer offering me to tour the Loft cabins on debarkation day before leaving for future booking.

Steve when Inventory Management contacted us about the RLS upgrade, the person told me that they will not give this cabin as an upgrade without some type of money being paid as they had to get something out of that cabin due to the price that it normally sells for. They contacted both Sky Loft cabin occupants and it was a first come, first serve.

This past June when I sailed Oasis I asked after I boarded how many D+ and above guests were aboard....ONLY 8 of us on the entire ship..and we were 4 of them booked between 2 cabins..... I was booked in the Royal Suite with my DD and my wife and other DD were booked in a Boardwalk cabin....the Royal Loft Suite stayed available right up to the day before sailing...nothing....and I even offered them my Boardwalk cabin back if they would upgrade all 4 of us together into the RLS. The cabin was occupied during the sailing....so someone got upgraded. Funny thing is that second day aboard the doorbell rang with an officer offering me to tour the Loft cabins on debarkation day before leaving for future booking.

Just a quick question if you don't mind me asking, curious as to who told you there were only 8 D+? Seems a bit low. I know info can vary even when you ask the same person. We were told a much higher number. If memory serves me correctly it was around 40+/-. I am quite sure there were 4 Pinnacle onboard that week also but I have been wrong before:). I know we spoke to several D+ in the lounge also.

No upgrade for us but during lunch in the MDR a couple at the table next to us stated they were D and were upgraded from a JS to a CL. I think the higher your booked cabin the better your chances of an upgrade.

[quote name='christi1805']We are D+ and on our last transatlantic had a balcony booked. Our tablemates, "Platinum" members, were upgraded from Balcony to JS. Can you imagine our faces?:mad::D[/QUOTE]

Ouch - sorry.
I think it is so wrong for RCCL to dangle the upgrade as a D+ perk, when many D+ do not get the upgrades but others with fewer cruises do. Good for them, but what about giving D+ what is offered.

If D+ status is not really considered, then take it out of the benefit literature.
M

There isn't an "Upgrade Fairy"........it is someone with a green visor in the revenue department.....the "Upgrade Unfairly". C&A get the "leftovers" (if any) from the revenue department - so I am told by the C&A reps. The C&A group does do a great job with upgrades[B] if[/B] they are given the inventory!!!!!

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='cruisegirl1']Ouch - sorry.
I think it is so wrong for RCCL to dangle the upgrade as a D+ perk, when many D+ do not get the upgrades but others with fewer cruises do. Good for them, but what about giving D+ what is offered.

[COLOR="Red"]If D+ status is not really considered, then take it out of the benefit literature.[/COLOR]
M[/QUOTE]

It is now listed as a benefit for all levels so it seems they have themselves covered no matter who they give it to. Unless it's a first time cruiser getting the upgrade, of course, who are not crown and anchor members prior to setting foot on the ship.

I am a D+.....never had an upgrade....only book balcony or above cabins....I think it is just luck of the draw.

I used to only book Royal....never even looked at other lines....no more. I spent a lot of money to get to D+ (not short cruises) and if Royal is not loyal to long term cruisers, then I see no reason to be "Loyal to Royal".

Doesn't mean I will no longer cruise on Royal, I have a Med cruise next summer on Serenade....I looked at all options and it was the best ports and price for me.

[quote name='mnh']I am a D+.....never had an upgrade....only book balcony or above cabins....I think it is just luck of the draw.

I used to only book Royal....never even looked at other lines....no more. I spent a lot of money to get to D+ (not short cruises) and if Royal is not loyal to long term cruisers, then I see no reason to be "Loyal to Royal".

Doesn't mean I will no longer cruise on Royal, I have a Med cruise next summer on Serenade....I looked at all options and it was the best ports and price for me.[/quote]
I agree that it is luck of the draw but not controlled by RCL. It is based on availability of unsold cabins. If you choose cruises on which all cabins are sold out then there will be little to no chance of getting an upgrade. We have been upgraded at the port when there had been a last minute cancellation. We were not first in line. We got the JS that had been vacated by the C&A folks ahead of us in priority had been upgraded to a Suite. We choose to cruise when there are fewer kids on board which leads to better prices and sometimes an upgrade. :D

Would be interested in what you found out on your sailing on Allure.

Jimbo:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajathree
Yes...I have stayed in 11729, 11329 and 10329...great very entertaining cabins with some prime aft views.

My point to the post above of only 8 D+ members aboard and us being 4 of them booked in 2 cabins and we didn't get upgraded was to show that the upgrades are obviously staying with revenue and going to other guests...NOT to C&A guests with the highest status.

You never know...you can get lucky but it's been my experience lately that those guests with D1's (which are the highest priced standard cabins) are much more likely to get an upgrade than any D+ Boardwalk cabin.....those are the last to sell and discounted the most....they aren't as valuable to them.
My coming Allure sailing is the prime example....there were a dozen JS's a month out....2 weeks out about half that....then right up till yesterday 3 of them...then late yesterday all gone and an available D1 pops up.....by just how slow the roll call on this sailing has been (slowest I ever saw yet for a sailing) I am going to bet that there probably are only a hand full of D+ guests again...and again we are 4 of them in 2 balcony cabins. I got a call from C&A exactly on the 5 day before the sailing asking to make sure I wanted an automatic upgrade for this sailing.....I could be wrong but that is telling me that I was probably up there on the list and C&A never got any cabins released for upgrades...revenue kept them and did the upgrading. This of course is totally speculative but I will find out once I get on how many D+ and above guests there are and should be able to tell from that. The upgrading this from top status down is hogwash.... they say it but don't practice it. I recently had a friend with 500+ points sailing Oasis with over 15 Loft Suites available a week before sailing...she got nothing but someone posted on her roll call who had only sailed 2X before with Royal that they were upgraded from a balcony to a LS

That sucks ! I guess I might be better off not clicking the automatic upgrade then and just be happy with our aft view boardwalk balcony cabin.

I would be interested to know just how many Diamond Plus members there are on your sailing though and if you could find out if any got upgraded from the Concierge .

After your findings then I can make up my mind whether or not to check that box on my cruises.

Thanks for your help.

Jimbo

[quote name='christi1805']We are D+ and on our last transatlantic had a balcony booked. Our tablemates, "Platinum" members, were upgraded from Balcony to JS. Can you imagine our faces?:mad::D[/quote]

I dont know, but since you say the upgrade came from revenue, perhaps these people were big spenders. I had a roomie on Princess who spent big, over $3200 mostly in the spa, just for herself. .. and they gave her a free upgrade her 2nd cruise.

Maybe the answer is to spend more onboard if these come from revenue?

[quote name='firefly333']I dont know, but since you say the upgrade came from revenue, perhaps these people were big spenders. I had a roomie on Princess who spent big, over $3200 mostly in the spa, just for herself. .. and they gave her a free upgrade her 2nd cruise.

Maybe the answer is to spend more onboard if these come from revenue?[/quote]
I do not think our table mates were big spenders. They were mother and daughter and we discussed the upgrade. They said they are just "normal" cruisers, yes a package of wine and a couple of drinks. No gambling or other fancy stuff....The upgrade policy (is there a strict policy?) is weird and has no pattern (I have learned from this thread that even within the company different dept.s vie for their "portion"). Clearly RCCL has no traceable philosophy on upgrade- do they?

Never got an upgrade with Royal Caribbean and I am Diamond Plus. But most of my cruises are during the holidays or high peak season so I really don't expect an upgrade. Besides all my cabins are suites or balconies. It would be really nice if one day they picked my name :D...

For all of those who say the upgrades come from revenue first, how do you know that? From reading it here? That's not a reliable source. Did a C&A rep tell you? That's not reliable either. Or maybe it was an officer on a ship? Someone from guest services? Again, not reliable.

I really wonder what is the source of this information? :confused: I've never noticed an valid proof of this information. And I've read a lot of information around here that has been claimed to be true and found out first hand through personal experience at a later time that it's not true at all.

So, how do we know this is a fact.

The few upgrades I've gotten HAVE been from C&A and I was near the top in credits. (it was prior to the point system) Except once, every single C&A member on my cruise was offered an upgrade on an under-booked cruise.

Gina

[quote name='cruisegirl1']Ouch - sorry.

If D+ status is not really considered, then take it out of the benefit literature.
M[/QUOTE]

Don't you see the upgrades are simply RCCL's "REDISTRUBUTION OF WEALTH POLICY"...those who have been loyal and paid them mega buck in the past are now required to make sure those that have cruised less are rewarded....

[quote name='mommabean']For all of those who say the upgrades come from revenue first, how do you know that? From reading it here? That's not a reliable source. Did a C&A rep tell you? That's not reliable either. Or maybe it was an officer on a ship? Someone from guest services? Again, not reliable.

I really wonder what is the source of this information? :confused: I've never noticed an valid proof of this information. And I've read a lot of information around here that has been claimed to be true and found out first hand through personal experience at a later time that it's not true at all.

The few upgrades I've gotten HAVE been from C&A and I was near the top in credits. (it was prior to the point system) Except once, every single C&A member on my cruise was offered an upgrade on an under-booked cruise.

Gina[/QUOTE]

I find that hard to believe every single C&A member on your cruise was offered an upgrade. How would you even know how many C&A members were on your sailing?

Jimbo:)

[quote name='mommabean']For all of those who say the upgrades come from revenue first, how do you know that? From reading it here? That's not a reliable source. Did a C&A rep tell you? That's not reliable either. Or maybe it was an officer on a ship? Someone from guest services? Again, not reliable.

Gina[/quote]
Gina, I've also been curious about the revenue vs C&A question. On our Radiance cruise this past December, we were upgraded from a JS to GS. While on this cruise, I was talking with the LA (very nice young lady but cannot recall her name) about booking a future cruise. I asked her about our upgrade, whether she could tell if it was revenue or C&A. She said she could tell, and would look it up. She started working on her computer, but then got interrupted by something, and never did give me the info.

So, I cannot tell you for sure any facts, but from the reaction of the LA, it appeared to me that there was something to the revenue vs C&A thing.

Bob

[quote name='Jimbo']I find that hard to believe every single C&A member on your cruise was offered an upgrade. How would you even know how many C&A members were on your sailing?

Jimbo:)[/QUOTE]

All the C&A members in the CL which included D at that time. Both Mariner and Radiance went around the horn that year and there was also a stock market panic at the same time. I was on Radiance. You can ask people on Mariner about there upgrades, too, as they were handed out right and left.

We went from a D to a GS as were many people in the CL. It was the talk of the cruise. A single man even got the same upgrade. One man turned down his upgrade because they wouldn't give it to him for his following cruise. He was angry the entire cruise hearing about everyone's upgrades.

You are correct, I don't know what happened with the Platinum members. But I suspect someone got all of those balcony categories that were vacated by the D and above. I should have said every single C&A member in the CL was offered an upgrade - my mistake in wording it.

By the way, that 2 week cruise cost us WITH taxes $917 per person. I'll never forget that number. We got multiple price drops up even past final payment at that time. Obviously if they were dropping the prices like that, there was a problem filling the ship. $917 for a D category and then given a GS.

Yep, it was talked about on board by MANY. Although the CL wasn't anywhere near as crowded as it has been lately. I think most of the D and above went on Mariner since CC members were promoting it so heavily here.

By the way, it's easy to find out how many C&A members are on a cruise if you are curious. You can ask the LA. I usually ask the concierge how many D and D+ are on board. Back then, I didn't ask since the numbers weren't so high.

Gina

Archived