Kids in CL?

I should fit right in, I will bring along my freshly polished halo.:D

You should join us, the prices will be great, no one else is going, I ran them all off, part of my grand conspiracy to get great prices. Oh, and there will not be a crowd in the CL, they want to hang out me so the service should be great. If RCCL can get the lovely website to work (I have heard it is ok to bash the website) you will see prices start to drop soon.:cool:

Sounds great. It would be really nice to spend some family time with our daughters in the CL. At least we will have a nice comfy seat because all the D+ 's are on the big X ship. Or at least that is what was promised.

Sounds great. It would be really nice to spend some family time with our daughters in the CL. At least we will have a nice comfy seat because all the D+ 's are on the big X ship. Or at least that is what was promised.

I never said I'd be on X. I tried it once and didn't like it. They tell me to try a solstice class ship. But I'm still liking RCI for now. So...you are stuck with me for now.

Gina

You all need to stop this nonsense immediately. Hate to break it to you, but currently, there are bigger issues at stake in the world than whether or not a child is allowed in the CL. We all can respectfully disagree or agree with the new policy, but both suite guests and D+ guests are showing a very unappealing side of themselves at the moment.

I am a D+ member, been cruising in suites since back in the 90’s, and have spent hundreds of thousands with RCL. But let me tell you something – that doesn’t make me better or more entitled than anyone of you on this board. I am of the opinion that my loyalty has earned me the benefit of using the CL just as someone who is paying the suite price has earned the benefit of using the CL. However, if we don’t stop this complaining and griping, there isn’t going to be a CL for anyone. That space can be converted to a revenue space faster than you can say “D+”. Don’t kid yourself folks, if I were RCL giving you such a nice benefit and ALL I heard was complaining, I would start second guessing if it really was worth my time and money to provide such a benefit to ungrateful people. Like it or not, that is where we are at the moment – on the border of being ungrateful. Choose which fire you want to play with - a CL with polite children or no CL at all. The choice and ultimate outcome is in your hands - so think about what you are saying and if it is really worth firing off a letter to the entire board of directors.

None of us have even been in the CL since the new policy was announced – yet we are saying these huge statements as if we are experts on the subject. Frankly, you aren’t until you experience it first-hand. At the end of the day, you will see that this policy isn’t geared at little children; but rather ages 12-17. Let’s be frank – I would take 12-17 year old any day of the week over 21-22 (and I was this type of guy back in the days, so no flaming!:eek:) year olds who act as if they are at the Frat House. Would you?

Now stop it and start focusing your attention on other issues and put this petty behavior behind us. Experience this so called “crisis” on your next cruise and then make an informative opinion about it. But cut the BS.:mad:

.....you mean they had frats that long ago? And second, should we focus on the "accounting error" OR the steep drop in the value of common stock RCCL has endured in the last couple of weeks? Nah! Listen to the Gimmees scream about their rights is much more fun...:eek:

You all need to stop this nonsense immediately. Hate to break it to you, but currently, there are bigger issues at stake in the world than whether or not a child is allowed in the CL. We all can respectfully disagree or agree with the new policy, but both suite guests and D+ guests are showing a very unappealing side of themselves at the moment.

I am a D+ member, been cruising in suites since back in the 90’s, and have spent hundreds of thousands with RCL. But let me tell you something – that doesn’t make me better or more entitled than anyone of you on this board. I am of the opinion that my loyalty has earned me the benefit of using the CL just as someone who is paying the suite price has earned the benefit of using the CL. However, if we don’t stop this complaining and griping, there isn’t going to be a CL for anyone. That space can be converted to a revenue space faster than you can say “D+”. Don’t kid yourself folks, if I were RCL giving you such a nice benefit and ALL I heard was complaining, I would start second guessing if it really was worth my time and money to provide such a benefit to ungrateful people. Like it or not, that is where we are at the moment – on the border of being ungrateful. Choose which fire you want to play with - a CL with polite children or no CL at all. The choice and ultimate outcome is in your hands - so think about what you are saying and if it is really worth firing off a letter to the entire board of directors.

None of us have even been in the CL since the new policy was announced – yet we are saying these huge statements as if we are experts on the subject. Frankly, you aren’t until you experience it first-hand. At the end of the day, you will see that this policy isn’t geared at little children; but rather ages 12-17. Let’s be frank – I would take 12-17 year old any day of the week over 21-22 (and I was this type of guy back in the days, so no flaming!:eek:) year olds who act as if they are at the Frat House. Would you?

Now stop it and start focusing your attention on other issues and put this petty behavior behind us. Experience this so called “crisis” on your next cruise and then make an informative opinion about it. But cut the BS.:mad:

Excellent post. They just don't get it.

Whether anyone will admit it or not, and most not, it is all about the free booze for 3-1/2 hrs. without it this thread does not exist.

On our last 2 X cruises on Eclipse in June, and Century in April there were about 80 Captains club members who were Elite. We went to Michael's club during the happy hour and less than 10 people in there every time.

The concierge said that a good percentage had purchased the liquor packages, and we always purchase them as well. He said most elite members on the liquor package very rarely go in there, unless there is a nice group who meet there each evening to socialize. When you are on the liquor package there is no need to get free drinks, so no one feels the need to go there

It is just really about the Free Booze.

For me the CL cocktail hour is NOT all about the 'free' drinks.....

It's about the lifelong friends we have made cruising....it's about visiting with each other and catching up on what everyone did during the day....it's all about friendships and people...

do we partake in the drink? Yes, but not to excess....I usually have 2...2 drinks a day that I have 'earned' by being a loyal cruiser to RCL....(although yes, I do cruise other lines..last cruise on CCL and 3 cruises from now is on X) soooo the 'free' drinks aren't what make me book a cruise. I cruise when friends are cruising if the timeframe works for our jobs.

I enjoy the perks of the D+....balcony discount, CL or D lounge (I don't personally care...either are fine).....in fact on Liberty I spent my time in the D lounge as it was more comfortable than the CL was.

Now........should there be kids in there it won't ruin it for me...it will change it. ...I prefer there not be kids (whether they are 2y/o or 13y/o)...I just think it's not a good environment. Everyone is talking, telling stories, telling jokes and lord knows I have heard some VERY off color jokes in there...I shudder to think a child would hear them. That's my opinion...which whether I pay $10,000 a week or $3,000 doesn't matter...it's an opinion.

That said.......happy sailing everyone!!

We will be D+ after our next cruise. If we get kicked out of the CL because of 'crowding' by children. I will be very very unhappy. We were already banned because of crowding as Diamond members. Especially after seeing the CL on the Oasis class ships.

We just came home from a cruise on the Freedom and our concierge told us that beginning this week they are allowing children in the concierge lounge as long as they are accompanied by an adult during the cocktail hour of 5 to 8:30 pm. The bar waiters weren't too thrilled about it.:(

Excellent post. They just don't get it.

Whether anyone will admit it or not, and most not, it is all about the free booze for 3-1/2 hrs. without it this thread does not exist.

On our last 2 X cruises on Eclipse in June, and Century in April there were about 80 Captains club members who were Elite. We went to Michael's club during the happy hour and less than 10 people in there every time.

The concierge said that a good percentage had purchased the liquor packages, and we always purchase them as well. He said most elite members on the liquor package very rarely go in there, unless there is a nice group who meet there each evening to socialize. When you are on the liquor package there is no need to get free drinks, so no one feels the need to go there

It is just really about the Free Booze.

Your wish has been granted.

I just returned from two weeks on the Allure.

Week one: Old rules; no kids permitted, although a few were in there every now and then when they should not have been.

Week two: New rules, c'mon on in! Very chaotic, kids grabbing all of the food, bumping into passengers and servers carrying full trays of drinks, leaving huge messes and plates of untouched food on the tables. Generally degraded atmosphere.

As I stated on another thread before this one was brought back to the top of the page, RC listened to a VERY FEW whining Suite passengers who wanted to bring their small children some place where they were not allowed, and NOT to the many many many passengers who prefer the adults-only atmosphere.

If you feel otherwise, feel free to eschew the Concierge Lounge.

We just came home from a cruise on the Freedom and our concierge told us that beginning this week they are allowing children in the concierge lounge as long as they are accompanied by an adult during the cocktail hour of 5 to 8:30 pm. The bar waiters weren't too thrilled about it.:(

Of course the bar servers were not thrilled. Servers would rather wait on adults and not children.

biased sample? how so?

for a true sample of ALL cruisers on Royal Carr. you must poll ALL people who cruise Royal Carr.(a certain %) and have them answer the poll not just a group that has a specialized interest. The D and D+ members on Cruise Critic is much higher % than the general Royal Carr. passengers.:)

for a true sample of ALL cruisers on Royal Carr. you must poll ALL people who cruise Royal Carr.(a certain %) and have them answer the poll not just a group that has a specialized interest. The D and D+ members on Cruise Critic is much higher % than the general Royal Carr. passengers.:)

These are the same D+ that can bring their kids in the lounge then?

Your wish has been granted.

I just returned from two weeks on the Allure.

Week one: Old rules; no kids permitted, although a few were in there every now and then when they should not have been.

Week two: New rules, c'mon on in! Very chaotic, kids grabbing all of the food, bumping into passengers and servers carrying full trays of drinks, leaving huge messes and plates of untouched food on the tables. Generally degraded atmosphere.

Marion Mom: your observation is EXACTLY the change in atmosphere that I expect to see on the Allure when we visit the CL this Sunday.

We were on the Enchantment last month and went into the CL for a sandwich for lunch. When I approached the food counter there was a young teen girl standing there picking up the various sandwiches, looking inside them, and putting them back. :eek::eek:YUCK:eek::eek: I opened my big mouth and told her to take all the ones she touched and to eat them so as not to waste food. :D:D She cleared the contaminated items and sulked. Oh, well...I'm sure I'll tick off another kid on the Allure next week.

So what you're saying is the complaint is not really about the lack of adult-only venue after all. All the statements about not having a lounge or access to an adult only place is really about their not being free drinks available at one. If people are really so up in arms about their being kids around, then a place that is a regular lounge but kids not being allowed should be a place they would want to go.

I think you have hit the nail on the head for some. This would be the perfect place as far as atmosphere that some would like to have. Many will admit it is all about the free drink-others will not hold claim to that at all!!!;)

I think Royal has also seen the amount of revenue being lost with hours of free drinking between D,D+ and suite guests that is a huge loss of revenue. I think we ALL need to prepare for changes in the freebie policy.!!!

I hope cruisers who bring children nightly will add appropriate tips to the concierge and (especially) servers.

I know there are really no guidelines , but some base tipping on a basic per person/per day for the concierge and server(s) and some base it on the number of drinks they get and/or what the converge or server does for them.

In any case, additional patrons will likely mean additional drinks/service per family even if the drinks are juice or soft drinks.

M

I wonder if one of the negative consequences of this insane policy change will be a decrease in the demand for the Chef's Table dinner on Oasis and Allure?

I, for one, will be very unhappy to have paid $95.00 for dinner at Chef's Table and then find out that we are eating dinner in the equivalent of Chucky Cheese'.

I can see it now, young children wandering up the stairs, to stare at the "rich people":rolleyes: eating their dinner.

We are sailing On Oasis on Sept 17, and have scheduled Chef's Table for the first formal night. I hope that since the dinner starts at 7:30, that most of the folks will have cleared out of the CL by then, and taken their children with them.

It is the folks who do not read cruise critic and are not Royal Caribbean regulars that book a suite with their rugrats thinking about the great perks on board. Then once they start their cruise they find there is no child care from 5-7, no children allowed in the concierge lounge, and no ability to remove a singe drink and small plate of appetizers back to their suite room. It is bait and switch advertising to offer a perk online to sell an expensive suite only to take it away once on board. I wonder if Royal Caribbean clarified the concierge policies ahead of time online, whether the demand for their suites would fall.

Allow me a moment to play devil's advocate, I'm not looking for responses, I just wanted to try and put this thread and poll results (so far) in context and so, in no particular order:

1) The “propensity to complain” vs. “propensity to compliment” ratio.

The number of complaints made can be anywhere from 3 to 15 times the number of compliments or positive feedback received. This is found to be the case when looking at forums of this nature or at the numbers held by customer service centres of travel companies.

2) What proportion of the affected customer base is represented by the active members of the FORUM?

I don’t know the answer, but it is be very small.

3) Think about the FORUM’s demographic....

Larger proportion of North American guests to European guests (& others) and facts show North American guests are more likely to complain AND more likely to reward (tips) in customer service situations. Note, I have not stated if this is a good, bad or indifferent observation, just food for thought.

4) Generalisations and assumptions:

This has been my biggest disappointment of the various threads. i.e. Not all children are ill behaved, not all parents cannot or will not control their charges.

5) Reason for policy change?

RCCL must have received significant feedback from a number of ships over a fair period of time to have instigated this change; give it a chance and don’t condemn it until you have spent time in the lounge and assessed the impact for yourselves.

I greatly enjoyed this forum, it can be a great source of information and I also enjoy reading about other’s experiences of their RCCL cruises. However, the threads discussing children in the CL have brought out the worst in some people and responses have been down-right rude and in a couple of cases offensive.

Paul

AdamG's blog is about this issue and the SR fiasco..........they are standing by their decision:mad:

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=4174

Does anything he writes ever surprise you? :rolleyes: He is the only head of a company that ever says "Yes, we know everyone is annoyed, but we don't care WE stand by it"

Archived