Learning Dutch

MrsMuir

I am so excited -- on a whim yesterday I looked up the Travel and Languages section of our local college and found to my delight that they offer Dutch 1, 2 and 3. Dutch 1 starts TONIGHT. I registered over the phone and got as emotional as I do when booking a cruise. I know this thread isn't about HAL per se, but my family's affinity with the Netherlands was the reason I chose HAL in the first place. My father's family traces its roots to New Amsterdam. I explored the Netherlands one summer with my aunt, who was a Fulbright Scholar based in Tilburg, and now I display her Dutch souvenirs in my home. The Girl with the Pearl Earring graces our dressing room. I love languages and need to use that part of my brain again. So wish me luck!

Mrs Muir

Interesting that a Seattle college is offering a course in Dutch. I am fluent in Dutch, but then I was born in The Netherlands. Good Luck, it is not an easy one to learn, and while one gets by with English most everywhere in the World, it is always nice to know some of the local language. Happy travels........................

I took a class in night school years ago, because my husband 's(at that time future husband)family is Dutch and I wanted to be able to understand what they were saying when they switched to Dutch from English. I found it a lot easier to learn than French which we are forced to learn in Canada.

Good luck! :)

My father is Belgian, my mother American and I was born in the Netherlands but they moved to the States when I was a year old. Having spent a year in Belgium as a teenager I later became fluent in Dutch. My children wish I had spoken Dutch at home then they were little, and I do regret not having taken the time to do that. Learning a foreign language is challenging as an adult but good exercise for the brain! :D

Diane

I am so excited -- on a whim yesterday I looked up the Travel and Languages section of our local college and found to my delight that they offer Dutch 1, 2 and 3. Dutch 1 starts TONIGHT. I registered over the phone and got as emotional as I do when booking a cruise. I know this thread isn't about HAL per se, but my family's affinity with the Netherlands was the reason I chose HAL in the first place. My father's family traces its roots to New Amsterdam. I explored the Netherlands one summer with my aunt, who was a Fulbright Scholar based in Tilburg, and now I display her Dutch souvenirs in my home. The Girl with the Pearl Earring graces our dressing room. I love languages and need to use that part of my brain again. So wish me luck!

Mrs Muir

Plat Haags zul je nooit leren...;)

Plat Haags zul je nooit leren...;)

Plat mokums ook niet...

Very interesting you want to learn dutch. I hope you will succeed!!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

My Dad is always trying to teach me the tounge twister "88 Stoves".

I've taken a few classes (my city has a large northern Dutch population, my Dad is from Maastricht in the South), but a lot of the words get stuck in my throat.

I understand it more than I can speak it.

Best of luck with your studies!

Cheers,

Deb

PS. This reminded me of a story that happened about 15 years ago. My parents were visiting family in Holland and at a dinner party everyone was speaking Dutch/German/Flemish. My Mom only knew English, but they weren't being rude - since she seemed to be following the conversation, laughing and smiling, they all assumed she understood the conversation. She was just happy with the Jenever =)

I too wish you the best in your studies. It sounds very interesting but I like school and could have been a professional student if I could have figured out a way to earn a living as one. :) Kind of reminds me of living in Germany for four years in the mid 80's. I took some German language classes and true to my German surname and heritage tried my best. I worked for the US Army but we hired a lot of English speaking nationals and my secretary was a German. She was very patient and over the years I practiced my German with her a lot. I was feeling pretty good about my proficiency when I was getting ready to come back to the US and had a conversation with her about how I'd enjoyed my four years and how much I appreciated her kind of tutoring me over the years. I was feeling pretty good about my German until she very seriously said "You've done pretty well.....about the same level as a three or four year old." :)

Archived