Free champagne on boarding??

mamasue

Do you all think that Celebrity will do same on a 5 night cruise?? (Family of 16 on Millie Dec 17-22) Hope so -- my family will be impressed!!

To the best of my knowledge and in my experience, it's done on every Celebrity cruise regardless of duration...

Despite my little attempt at some humor about the quality of the sparkling wine, I think that the greeting you receive as you board sets a nice tone for the cruise. The set up as you return from a long port day is one of those little Celebrity extras that is most appreciated. Now if they would only allow you to exchange that free bottle of sparking wine you receive in some cabins for wine, well that would be just wonderful. Have fun folks :)

Now if they would only allow you to exchange that free bottle of sparking wine you receive in some cabins for wine, well that would be just wonderful. Have fun folks :)

We have successfully exchanged the sparkling wine for red wine on at least four cruises. Not sure what the policy is, but I usually shake hands with a $5 or $10 bill with the cabin steward/butler and the wine appears. I also get great service for the rest of the trip.

We have successfully exchanged the sparkling wine for red wine on at least four cruises. Not sure what the policy is, but I usually shake hands with a $5 or $10 bill with the cabin steward/butler and the wine appears. I also get great service for the rest of the trip.

At one time a request for a switch was honored without question. However, I believe that Celebrity has changed their policy within the last year. I was in a Suite and knew the Head of Housekeeping from previous cruises and she provided the wine as a "gift". Guess there must be a major cost difference that makes switching too costly.

At one time a request for a switch was honored without question. However, I believe that Celebrity has changed their policy within the last year. I was in a Suite and knew the Head of Housekeeping from previous cruises and she provided the wine as a "gift". Guess there must be a major cost difference that makes switching too costly.

There is always a difference between the official rules and what really happens :)

Wooo hoo....I'm excited now!!

Although we've cruised many times on 4 other cruise lines, it's our first Celebrity cruise, at the end of this month....and our daughter and her fiance's first ever cruise!

Whether it's top grade champagne or third-rate sparkly wine is of little consequence.....it'll just be another thing to made DD's first cruise a special experience. We've been trying to persuade her to cruise for such a long time!!

I love Celebrity already!!!!:D

Despite my little attempt at some humor about the quality of the sparkling wine, I think that the greeting you receive as you board sets a nice tone for the cruise. The set up as you return from a long port day is one of those little Celebrity extras that is most appreciated. Now if they would only allow you to exchange that free bottle of sparking wine you receive in some cabins for wine, well that would be just wonderful. Have fun folks :)

Yes, you can exchange any bottle of Celebrity wine you receive as a gift. On our last cruise another couple we met was given a bottle of Celebrity's red wine as a gift. (Not sure who it was from, it was their first Celebrity cruise and them assumed it was a welcome to Celebrity gift.)

Anyway, they don't drink alcohol so they gave it to us. I had read on Cruise Critic that you can do exchanges; so I asked wine steward about it. He said yes, you just pay the difference between the values of the bottles. I took the red wine in and exchanged it for a reisling. The reiling was $3 more than the red so I paid $3.00 plus the 15% gratuity. He told me we can also exchange the sparkling wine but we had already opened it. You can make the exchange at any venue that sells wine by the bottle.

Mary

Yes, you can exchange any bottle of Celebrity wine you receive as a gift. On our last cruise another couple we met was given a bottle of Celebrity's red wine as a gift. (Not sure who it was from, it was their first Celebrity cruise and them assumed it was a welcome to Celebrity gift.)

Anyway, they don't drink alcohol so they gave it to us. I had read on Cruise Critic that you can do exchanges; so I asked wine steward about it. He said yes, you just pay the difference between the values of the bottles. I took the red wine in and exchanged it for a reisling. The reiling was $3 more than the red so I paid $3.00 plus the 15% gratuity. He told me we can also exchange the sparkling wine but we had already opened it. You can make the exchange at any venue that sells wine by the bottle.

Mary

we're not talking about gifts that someone might have purchased for you.

This discussion is about exchanging the "complimentary" bottle of sparkling wine that celebirty includes as a "perk" for concierge and suite passengers for a bottle of wine.

It was super nice to be greeted at the end of the gangway with the sparkling beverage what ever it was, My sister uses HA and said they don't do that there and she has about 30+ cruises. It was also nice to have the hot chocolate when reboarding in AK. I was chilled. Thanks Celebrity for that kindness.

we're not talking about gifts that someone might have purchased for you.

This discussion is about exchanging the "complimentary" bottle of sparkling wine that celebirty includes as a "perk" for concierge and suite passengers for a bottle of wine.

I am well aware of what the discussion is about. That is why I wrote "He told me we can also exchange the sparkling wine".

To clear up any misunderstanding: The Sommelier in Blu on the Equinox told us the the "perk" bottle of sparkling wine for concierge, suites and Aqua Class can be exchanged for a different bottle; you just have to pay the difference in cost.

I am well aware of what the discussion is about. That is why I wrote "He told me we can also exchange the sparkling wine".

To clear up any misunderstanding: The Sommelier in Blu on the Equinox told us the the "perk" bottle of sparkling wine for concierge, suites and Aqua Class can be exchanged for a different bottle; you just have to pay the difference in cost.

Thank you for this tip! :)

Joking around?? How dare you, you know how serious these thread subjects are! I Hate it when people joke and have fun on these forums when we are trying to have important discussions about going on vacations and having fun.

Den

They offer you a glass when you board. It's made in the Engine Room shortly before you board. At least, that's what it tastes like.

We have sailed on several of Celebrity's ships and have always been offered a glass of champagne or a Mimosa. I assume that tradition is still in effect. It as last October. By the way it tasted just fine. We appreciate the gesture. :)

I thought I read somewhere that you get free champagne on boarding on Celebrity....like you used to on NCL.

Does this still apply.... can any recent Celebrity cruisers tell me??

Even if they give you something when you board - it is not champagne. In order for a wine to be called champagne, it has to be from the champagne region of France. At best, it is a cheap type of sparking wine, not champagne.

DON

The sparkling wine for concierge class cabins is actually not sold on board, so there is no difference in value to pay.

We have actually never paid for swapping unless the cabin attendant uses the $5/$10 I give him as a thank you in advance is used to pay someone. We also have never taken the wine to a sommelier to ask the question...our cabin attendant/butler just makes it happen.

The sparkling wine for concierge class cabins is actually not sold on board, so there is no difference in value to pay.

We have actually never paid for swapping unless the cabin attendant uses the $5/$10 I give him as a thank you in advance is used to pay someone. We also have never taken the wine to a sommelier to ask the question...our cabin attendant/butler just makes it happen.

I didn't take the wine to the sommelier, I did however ask him the question about upgrading and I am just relaying the answer.

I have never actually tried to upgrade the complimentary sparkling wine.

If you have never asked a sommelier if it can be exchanged why are you sure it can't be?

I have only been on 8 Celebrity cruises. I will bow out of this thread and let you answer any other questions since you are obviously a more experienced cruiser.

We did B2B cruises to Alaska last year on the Millennium. On the first leg (Vancouver-Seward) we were offered our sparkling wine just as we entered the ship. On the second leg (Seward-Vancouver) it was not offered right away. However, we did see glasses across the foyer lined up on some tables. So, if you don't get your "glass" upon boarding don't worry, it will be there somewhere.

Karen

I never said it can't be exchanged...I said that the bottle of sparkling wine given to concierge guests is not sold on board (on the wine list)... In fact, i said that I always exchange it...and without charge. Others have stated that the current policy is that they won't exchange it and it may be....I can't confirm or deny that because I've never been refused. On this year's cruises (century and eclipse), I had no problem. I've never asked a somelier because I have never had to...I'm not all that picky about the wine they give me, as long as it isn't sweet or sparkling.

As I said, I use the opportunity to tip the room steward/butler a little extra in advance ($5-$20) which not only gets us the wine but also seems to improve our service during the cruise. In fact, on one cruise (not this year) every time we finished the "complimentary" bottle of wine, we found a new one in our room.