Is Princess Pizza Chicagoan Approved?

Kmkub

Everyone raves about the pizza on Princess. This may sound snobby, but Chicagoans define good pizza differently from the rest of the country. (New Yorkers are in the same boat.)

Are there any Chicagoans out there who can give me information on the pizza?

Everyone raves about the pizza on Princess. This may sound snobby, but Chicagoans define good pizza differently from the rest of the country. (New Yorkers are in the same boat.)

I'm not from Chicago, but if you're looking for deep dish pizza on Princess ships, you'll be disappointed. It's definitely much closer to New York-style pizza.

No, not deep dish. I don't think many Chicagoans consider the deep dish, the authentic Chicago pizza. That seems to be a label that was thrust upon us, rather than our general preference.

I'm talking about the thin crust, cut in squares. (And it's not about the squares it's about the flavor and texture.)

No, not deep dish. I don't think many Chicagoans consider the deep dish, the authentic Chicago pizza. That seems to be a label that was thrust upon us, rather than our general preference.

I'm talking about the thin crust, cut in squares. (And it's not about the squares it's about the flavor and texture.)

You're right... I guess the deep dish style is almost a stereotype...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza

Interesting article and I'd love to try the Chicago-style that you're talking about. Much more appetizing than the Uno/Gino's-style pizza. Oh and no, Princess pizza isn't like what you describe... it's really New York-style, fold it over and eat pizza.

The pizza on Princess was better than HAL...:)

That is the understatement of the day :) We enjoy both HA and Princess but sometimes want to scream at HA, "why don't you send your chef to Princess to learn how to make pizza!" As an aside, we were recently on the Celebrity Summit and thought their pizza was quite good....not as good as Princess....but still pretty decent.

Hank

You're right... I guess the deep dish style is almost a stereotype...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza

Interesting article and I'd love to try the Chicago-style that you're talking about. Much more appetizing than the Uno/Gino's-style pizza. Oh and no, Princess pizza isn't like what you describe... it's really New York-style, fold it over and eat pizza.

Say What??

Chicago-style pizza

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Chicago-style pizza is a deep-dish pizza style developed in Chicago. Chicago-style pizza has a buttery crust up to three inches tall at the edge, slightly higher than the large amounts of cheese and chunky tomato sauce, acting as a large bowl. The term also refers to "stuffed" pizza, another Chicago style. While in Chicago most pizzerias serve thin-crust pizza, generally in a style characteristic to the city, the term Chicago-style pizza is used to describe this deep-dish style of pizza

We live right outside of Chicago......The pizza is good on a scale of bad, good, great...... you will have plenty of other options for food.......you will be ok/

Born and raised in Chicago, I 'd say that the pizza on Princess is ok crust but rather dry on the ingredients. Believe me, you are not cruising for the pizza. It's fine for a snack.

Give me Lou Malnati's anytime. And from experience I would say the pizza in Tampa doesn't deserve the name.

I grew up in the Chicagoland area with this type of pizza and sadly it does not compare at all. It is a thin pizza and it is good but not at all like the Chicago Pizza that I knew and loved.

I found it really odd that whenver I bought back pizza from my Chicago visits, my California friends didn't really care for it that much. I think that delicous pizza from my youth is a regional taste preference (just like sauerkraut). I thought it was hard to get good pizza in California too but I have learned to love the local specialties here now like sun dried tomatoes and artichokes on my thin crust pizza.

The pizza on Princess is quite tasty. It's not Chicago tasty, nor is it in those great little squares that we all love so much in the Chicago area, but it's better than I expected it to be. And yes, it's the foldover thin crust - more like a NY style. Chicago thin is crispy (and delightful)!

I'm a former Chicagoan and concur that the pizza on Princess is good but not at all like the crispy thin crust squares from my old neighborhood pizzerias like Vito and Nick's or Luigis. The crust is a little thicker and you won't find the amount of ingredients that you would have on a Chicago pizza. They also don't have sausage - the choices are Margherita (cheese) or pepperoni or a different special each day (such as veggie or Hawaiian). It's not a bad alternative to the grill or the buffet, and we usually get it a couple of times a cruise.

It is neither Chicago or New York. It is delicious in its own right. The crust is soft and yeasty and the cheese is delicious!

Thanks fellow Chicagoans! I'll give it a try.

Regarding deep dish: Yes, we are aware that everyone outside of Chicago thinks we all love our deep dish. But it's nothing like a Cubs/Sox rivalry, where it's a fairly even split... the Chicagoans who actually prefer deep dish are in the serious minority.

I lived in Chicago until I was in my 30's and never even heard of deep dish until I was in my 20's. It's just "meh" pizza... we like our sausage thin crust, cut into squares and we like our generous portions of toppings!

Not by everyone. It isn't bad but certainly not anything to rave about.

DON

Don, we may be in the minority. I hear all the raves about Princess pizza. When I tried it I thought it was just so so. Not that I'm a pizza expert by any means. Mexican food -yes:D but not a pizza expert. After my initial pizza try I really haven't had an overwhelming desire to try it again. Perhaps I will give it a try on my next cruise as another test run.

I think Princess has the best cruise ship pizza of all the cruise lines I've been on. I think it's better than many land restaurants I've been to. It's not the pizza I grew up with here in MN that has more toppings and is cut in squares, but it's pretty darn good for being on a cruise ship and being able to have it delivered to your room to watch a sunset from your balcony. :)

Archived