Silhouette Maiden Caribbean Voyage 11/06 to 11/18

Ocean Dancer

Well, back to reality, I have NOT read any other thread to influence my veiws, and this is my opinion only. DH and I are seasoned cruisers, this being #28, but the first time on a new ship and our 3rd on Celebrity.

The Silhouette is a beautiful ship, 12 days were not enough to explore her in depth. We loved the quirkyness of the art like the bird photos on camera in cages on deck 5. We loved the privacy nooks and crannies of the Hideaway on deck 7 and we enjoyed the egg chairs where you could crawl in and read or do the puzzle or even nap. Actually the coffee was MUCH better there than in the Ocean View Cafe on deck 14. Speaking of coffee, we found out that if you added hot water to your coffee, it tasted MUCH better.

But all is not perfect. We found that the entertainment noises drifted up to the quiet areas, like the Hideaway and the library, bad planning. Most of the elavators were glass sided making a lovely view for your lift if you could find one to stop. The elevators were extremely slow, 10 to 20 minutes were not uncommom. This cruise was also very geriatric, many scooters, walkers, canes and elderly. Most were a delight and very polite, but many elderly were rude, like getting on an elevator before you could get off, or playing cards, and talking so loud, we could not converse in the Ocean Cafe while others were looking for a table to eat.

Another design flaw was the seating in the MDR. The chairs were huge and heavy making it impossible to ajust yourself to the table, or get out.

The theatre seating was also a problem. The seats were too tight, and all the little tables were missing. You had a slot and a hole in your arm seat where you could slide in a stemmed glass, or place a soda/beer. All glasses did not fit making you forced to hold your drink. There was NO PLACE to put straw trash, cherry stems, napkins etc. Also I was afraid to stand to give any standing ovations to the shows for fear of spilling my drink or my neighbors. We enjoyed all the entertainment, but Slhouette the show was a smaller version of Cirque de Solie Nubia that we saw in Florida last year. There was more entertainment and something for everyone on this wonderful ship.

We had a drink card and had to check daily the account on our tv as we were charged many times for drinks, the charges were politely removed, and we stuck to certain bartenders who took excellent care of us and had our number memorized. Santoes was our favorite on deck 3!!!!!!!!!!!! Our sommilier totally ignored us at dinner. He was way too interested in people buying bottles than me with my card. Every night our tablemates would help me get his attention, it was very irratating to finally get your wine half way through dinner, and forget a second glass. He was NOT trained and finally caught on around day 7 or 8!!!!!!! Our waiter Bernard was A gem, and sang to us each night.

The ships temperature was a bit warm catering to the eldery, I never wore a sweater, and the first night leaving Bayonne, it was 46 degrees. We slept with our balcony door open as the A/C would not come on. This problem was only the first night. We had no toilet problems and there was a bar in the shower to help in shaving your legs, a real plus. The storage in our cabin was different, but we found OK, less drawers but we made it work. For a new ship, she was never vaccuumed under the deck and behind the night stands. Way too many dust bunnies!!!!!!!!!!!! Our cabin was very quiet, we heard no snoring or our neighbors tv, just them slamming the door. They got the message pretty quick.

This ship does NOT like Cruise Crittic. I had inquired about a message board for all 200 of us to leave notes as we had activies planned, This was denied and most of our CC plans fell through. Our CC luncheon was horrible. They served us meatloaf that was on the level as dog food, and no chocolate sufflee, very disapointing. A lot of us were spoiled by the Mercury and we would have had a better lunch in a section of the Ocean View Cafe picking out our own food!!!!!!!!! And please Celebrity, CUT down on the SALT!!!!!!!!!!! I never saw so many swollen legs and feet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul, the CD was a delight, the crew was very friendly and the entertaiment and dancers were quite talented. All in all we had a wonderful time and would sail her again!!!!!!!!!!!! That is if she returns in Bayonne!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be happy to answer any questions any of you may have.:)

Thank you for reading.

Vicki

Well, back to reality, I have NOT read any other thread to influence my veiws, and this is my opinion only. DH and I are seasoned cruisers, this being #28, but the first time on a new ship and our 3rd on Celebrity.

The Silhouette is a beautiful ship, 12 days were not enough to explore her in depth. We loved the quirkyness of the art like the bird photos on camera in cages on deck 5. We loved the privacy nooks and crannies of the Hideaway on deck 7 and we enjoyed the egg chairs where you could crawl in and read or do the puzzle or even nap. Actually the coffee was MUCH better there than in the Ocean View Cafe on deck 14. Speaking of coffee, we found out that if you added hot water to your coffee, it tasted MUCH better.

But all is not perfect. We found that the entertainment noises drifted up to the quiet areas, like the Hideaway and the library, bad planning. Most of the elavators were glass sided making a lovely view for your lift if you could find one to stop. The elevators were extremely slow, 10 to 20 minutes were not uncommom. This cruise was also very geriatric, many scooters, walkers, canes and elderly. Most were a delight and very polite, but many elderly were rude, like getting on an elevator before you could get off, or playing cards, and talking so loud, we could not converse in the Ocean Cafe while others were looking for a table to eat.

Another design flaw was the seating in the MDR. The chairs were huge and heavy making it impossible to ajust yourself to the table, or get out.

The theatre seating was also a problem. The seats were too tight, and all the little tables were missing. You had a slot and a hole in your arm seat where you could slide in a stemmed glass, or place a soda/beer. All glasses did not fit making you forced to hold your drink. There was NO PLACE to put straw trash, cherry stems, napkins etc. Also I was afraid to stand to give any standing ovations to the shows for fear of spilling my drink or my neighbors. We enjoyed all the entertainment, but Slhouette the show was a smaller version of Cirque de Solie Nubia that we saw in Florida last year. There was more entertainment and something for everyone on this wonderful ship.

We had a drink card and had to check daily the account on our tv as we were charged many times for drinks, the charges were politely removed, and we stuck to certain bartenders who took excellent care of us and had our number memorized. Santoes was our favorite on deck 3!!!!!!!!!!!! Our sommilier totally ignored us at dinner. He was way too interested in people buying bottles than me with my card. Every night our tablemates would help me get his attention, it was very irratating to finally get your wine half way through dinner, and forget a second glass. He was NOT trained and finally caught on around day 7 or 8!!!!!!! Our waiter Bernard was A gem, and sang to us each night.

The ships temperature was a bit warm catering to the eldery, I never wore a sweater, and the first night leaving Bayonne, it was 46 degrees. We slept with our balcony door open as the A/C would not come on. This problem was only the first night. We had no toilet problems and there was a bar in the shower to help in shaving your legs, a real plus. The storage in our cabin was different, but we found OK, less drawers but we made it work. For a new ship, she was never vaccuumed under the deck and behind the night stands. Way too many dust bunnies!!!!!!!!!!!! Our cabin was very quiet, we heard no snoring or our neighbors tv, just them slamming the door. They got the message pretty quick.

This ship does NOT like Cruise Crittic. I had inquired about a message board for all 200 of us to leave notes as we had activies planned, This was denied and most of our CC plans fell through. Our CC luncheon was horrible. They served us meatloaf that was on the level as dog food, and no chocolate sufflee, very disapointing. A lot of us were spoiled by the Mercury and we would have had a better lunch in a section of the Ocean View Cafe picking out our own food!!!!!!!!! And please Celebrity, CUT down on the SALT!!!!!!!!!!! I never saw so many swollen legs and feet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul, the CD was a delight, the crew was very friendly and the entertaiment and dancers were quite talented. All in all we had a wonderful time and would sail her again!!!!!!!!!!!! That is if she returns in Bayonne!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be happy to answer any questions any of you may have.:)

Thank you for reading.

Vicki

1)Is there an enclosed walking track ?

2) What type of cabin did you have and what was your opinion of it ?

It is interesting that you had your CC events fall through. On our TA on the Equinox in May our role call had many events planned. The event planners coordinated everything through the ship's special events coordinator who sent us written invitations and phone calls to remind us of activities.

No, but you will be walking a lot as she is a big ship.

We had a balcony cabin 7275. The cabin size was what you would expect. The high light for my DH was to partially open the curtains to watch the sun rise, or set, he took some amazing pics.

It is interesting that you had your CC events fall through. On our TA on the Equinox in May our role call had many events planned. The event planners coordinated everything through the ship's special events coordinator who sent us written invitations and phone calls to remind us of activities.

Yes, that was our experience on the Mercury, but no invites this time, just a message on your phone.:(

It's not something that is routinely done and is usually initiated by a particular roll call group.

Personally, I think it's asking just a little too much, but it's just my opinion. They are just leaving themselves open to criticism for doing something over and above for Cruise Critic members. It's very nice that they even do it.

Oh...so it is really a "Roll Call Event", not a cruiseline event.

As for the comment about meatloaf tasting like dogfood?:eek: wow:eek:

I have never eaten the latter but that sounds pretty harsh

(in my opinion anyway).

Hi Joanie:) hope you and the family are doing well.

Our sommilier totally ignored us at dinner. He was way too interested in people buying bottles than me with my card. Every night our tablemates would help me get his attention, it was very irratating to finally get your wine half way through dinner, and forget a second glass. He was NOT trained and finally caught on around day 7 or 8!!!!!!!

We have also had this happen to us; we don't drink alcohol but have soda cards and have been largely ignored at dinner whilst watching sommeliers fawn over people buying bottles of wine.

We also had poor drinks service in Tuscan Grille on Silhouette; my wife without any drink for 10 minutes - I wondered at the time whether service would have been better if we had been buying expensive bottles of wine.

Oh...so it is really a "Roll Call Event", not a cruiseline event.

As for the comment about meatloaf tasting like dogfood?:eek: wow:eek:

I have never eaten the latter but that sounds pretty harsh

(in my opinion anyway).

Hi Joanie:) hope you and the family are doing well.

Lois I agree with you, a bit harsh. I really don't think they would really put this type of food at any gathering.

We have also had this happen to us; we don't drink alcohol but have soda cards and have been largely ignored at dinner whilst watching sommeliers fawn over people buying bottles of wine.

This is an ongoing problem with Celebrity. In the buffet we just go to the bar to get our drinks. If we waited for someone our meal would be finished by the time they returned with our soda.

It's not something that is routinely done and is usually initiated by a particular roll call group.

Personally, I think it's asking just a little too much, but it's just my opinion. They are just leaving themselves open to criticism for doing something over and above for Cruise Critic members. It's very nice that they even do it.

It falls into the category of "darned if you do; darned if you don't." If X didn't comply with the Cruise Critic members' request, it would have been criticized for not going the extra mile for loyal X cruisers; yet in fulfilling the request, it not only left itself open to non-CC members who may have been put off by CC special treatment, but it likewise received criticism for providing a "horrible luncheon."

Interesting comment re: the sommelier. I have sailed both Eclipse and Summit with the premium packages, and both times found the sommeliers to be very attentive. They seemed to have several bottles open which would complement the meals of the evening, and would cheerfully move around the room, refilling glasses as needed. DH, who is not really a wine drinker, also had no problem getting a cocktail in the DR. I hope the OP said something about this to the maitre d', because it's really not acceptable. I have always felt that the crew on Celebrity was trained to be very welcoming to the beverage packages, as it has to be a money maker for them, even with heavy drinkers.

Same cruise - slightly different opinions and a few additional comments...DH and I are in our 50's

Liked the HideAway and the avail coffee/hot water (we were also in a Balcony cabin on deck 7 so very convienient) did not spend much time there other when our room was being made up. Enjoyed the way the entertainment from the foyer drifted up to the other floors so that in the evening you could view and enjoy from many different levels.

Never waited much time for elevators. I agree that there were a lot of scooters, walkers, canes but never encountered anyone rude ("there but for the grace of God go I"). Did notice a few tables of card players in the buffet area during lunch when tables were scarce which I would lable as very inconsiderate as they should have gone elsewhere.

Had no issue with the design of the MDR but I thought the food in the MDR was just OK (I did not go hungery) but less good than we had experienced on other cruises. I had a few meals which I barely touched the main due to it being either overcooked, undercooked, or cold...I did not make a big deal of it as it left me with less guilt for indulging in dessert. I appreciate that the waiter would have corrected if I had asked but I did not want to wait for another meal and quite frankly on a few occassions I don't know how he would not have known just from appearance as I knew the moment it was placed in front of me that it was not going to be good. (ie..salmon had a dried out outer surface and raw in the middle...yuck:(, taste of Tuscan crostini(sp) limp and soggy, on another occassion a steak requested medium rare was raw/bloody/cold in the middle - I ate around the edges...did not need that much red meat anyway...I will say the beef short ribs were amazing!!!!

We tried all the high end specilty rest...enjoyed Tuscan the most..won't be doing Qsine again anytime soon...too much food and dictated by server when and what you get your selections. Murano was just OK (have had much better dining experiences on other Celeb ships)..server was just a bit too over the top gushy formality, food rushed out and the mini dessert tasting was yucky -poor flavor and bad textures. Really enjoyed the Grill evening outdoor dining. VERY disappointed that Tuscan not being included in the M-Class refurb of Infinity, Summit and Millie. Never did the Porch due to limited menu (would have preferred a variety of burgers to panninis) nor did we do Bistro (never have on any Celeb ship.. probably never will).

We were impressed with the Theatre and the seating...and thought the lounges and Grand foyer entertainment was better than we had experienced for awhile.

No issue with the temperatures around the ship and cabin A/C worked fine.

Cabin storage is limited...I admittedly overpack...and the lack of shelves in the closet (provided on M-Class), and lack of drawers next to the bed (also on M-Class) made unpacking a challenge. But loved the new bathroom layout of S-Class. Beds also very comfy.

Loved the lawn(just for sitting - much nicer than the crowded pool area)...(did not miss the glass blowing nor did we partake in the Art stuff).

Smoking area between the pool and solarium...hold your breath walking through and don't sit on that side of the solarium as the smoke lingers through...gross:eek:.

Overall staff and ship were great..our room steward and his assistant in particular were terrific (extra tip and specific mention in our feedback card as a result).

Agree Paul as Cruise Director was very good and a very talented singer.

Disembarkment...best we have experienced - we were off the ship by 8:30 which was exactly what we had asked for on the pre-disembarkment paperwork.:)

Overall great cruise...:)

I would agree with most of the review.

We too were very disapointed with the CC lunch- service was very good, but really meatloaf or pasta with mussels...mashed potatoes and peas/carrots.... we wished we had gone to the Ocean View for our last lunch onboard. Maybe we should have all booked the Bistro on 5, lunch there was very good!

And YES please put some castors or something on those heavy dining room chairs! It was like an workout just to get in and out of them! I can move my living room sofa easier!

We did not have such long waits for the elevators and felt it was not the design of them but the passengers in them causing the problems, not stepping in them so others could get in, we actually had people shut the door so we could not board a half filled elevator! The scooters did cause alot of hold ups.

We DID have a fab cruise and can't wait till we board another Solstice Class ship!

Bev

We have sailed on the Solstice twice and once on Equinox. We were very excited to be on the first U.S. sailing of the Silouette. But... we were disappointed - in so many ways. I actually kept a log while on the ship. In no particular order:

*The bathroom sink - impossible to use without spilling water around

*Lack of shelf and drawer space - retooled from previous Solstice ships

and NOT an improvement

*Lack of trash containers throughout the ship

*Less staff in Buffet area. Dishes not cleared and no coffee carts

*Grand Foyer - not so grand - too small for most activities and dancing

*Lack of seating in common areas - few chairs in lobby areas on each floor

*Buffet late at night should have cookies and fruit instead of pizza, pasta, and

salad

Please understand that this review is in comparison to what we experienced

on the other Solstice class ships and therefore our ecpectations were high.

The elderly population on this cruise did change the entire atmosphere but it

was the other factors that led to our disappointment.

We will be taking a break from Celebrity for a while.

I stand firm in my meatloaf dogfood statement from the CC luncheon. It was the CC members that attended that made it special, not the food. I think we all would agree that coffee, cheese and crackers would have been a better choise.

One meal does NOT make a cruise. We had a positive attitude, let a lot roll, as one must do with almost 2500 other guests. BUT, I was disappointed with the ships conection with cruise critic, lacking, if non existent. I'm sure that this will be improved with more sailings as this is a new ship.

Our Sommilier was new, a first timer, and that surprised me. The majority of the staff was well trained and from other ships. We would sail her again in a heart beat.:)

I am elite. I have sailed on Celebrity, Azamara, and Royal many times. I have never been invited to a separate luncheon. I have attended many CC events. On one cruise (14 nights Azamara), there were 4 scheduled CC events.....cocktails, coffees, and afternoon teas..... Informal get togethers. At each event, the cruise director and hotel director attended. They were all ears. As a group cruise critic people are vocal. The staff did pay attention. It wasn't just lip service. Cruise critic people have been given lots of perks. Happy cruise critics post nice reviews. I doubt that Celebrity would intentionally serve you a bad meal or ignore your requests. Celebrity staff does listen and tries to please.

I don't want to sound like a "donkey", but I don't think cruise critic

members should get (or deserve) special treatment. That should be

intrinsic to the Captain's Club (frequent cruiser) benefits. The idea of

cruise critic is to report on treatment and conditions on ships for normal passengers, Captain's Club members, or cruise critic members.

Being treated differently simply because they are cruise critic members taints the results.

I walked on deck 14. It is not enclosed. 8 times around equaled a mile. Didn't see an enclosed track.

I was in a sky suite on deck 12. It was fabulous. Roomy, lots of storage, great bathroom and butler.

I stand firm in my meatloaf dogfood statement from the CC luncheon. It was the CC members that attended that made it special, not the food. I think we all would agree that coffee, cheese and crackers would have been a better choise.

One meal does NOT make a cruise. We had a positive attitude, let a lot roll, as one must do with almost 2500 other guests. BUT, I was disappointed with the ships conection with cruise critic, lacking, if non existent. I'm sure that this will be improved with more sailings as this is a new ship.

Our Sommilier was new, a first timer, and that surprised me. The majority of the staff was well trained and from other ships. We would sail her again in a heart beat.:)

I was on Silhouette in September and the Captain acknowledged the Cruise Critic group before we even left port on embarkation day. We had a wonderful sailaway party that several crew members attended(and they could only have known about it if monitoring these boards) and a very nice Connections party the next day. We didn't have a luncheon, didn't expect one and the fact that they gave you one, regardless of how good or bad the food is an acknowledgement in and of itself of the value of Cruise Critic to the industry. To insinuate that the Silhouette doesn't like Cruise Critic is a little ridiculous in my opinion. Now....there were certainly some posts by those on her first couple sailings that were pretty scathing of her and the crew so they would have some rights to be somewhat leery of Cruise Critic persons but I sure never got that impression...in fact we thought the crew was superb and that it was the best cruise we'd ever been on... and booked another cruise on her for April....

I think it quite remarkable that they acknowledge Cruise Critic at all...they certainly are not in any way obligated to do so. Just my opinion of course.

Archived