Smoking Policy. Is it really being enforced?

Kim

We have a balcony mini suite on board the Ruby and my husband is a smoker. He enjoys sitting on the balcony especially at night while I'm getting ready for dinner and smoking his cigarettes. Is the non smoking policy being strictly enforced even on our own balconies?

New Policy doesn't go into effect until cruises departing afrer January 15th. I certainly hope they enforce it strictly. They did address an issue on our last cruise with an individual smoking cigars on the balcony next to ours. That is prohibited under the current policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a sticky at the top of this board about the changes & the Princess website says "For all voyages departing after January 15th, 2012, Princess Cruises will prohibit smoking in passenger staterooms and balconies" so it won't be in effect if you're sailing on January 15th.

LIke others posted above, the new policy goes into effect for cruises starting after January 15, 2012. Since yours departs on January 15, 2012, it appears that you will not be impacted and your husband will be able to smoke on the balcony.

As to whether Princess will inforce the new rule, it is hard to say. They don't enforce rules now, so they could ignore this one too.

Not everyone is a member of CC, or for that matter, has internet. I'm sure it will be stated in the 'Fine Print' of the Passage Contract... but how many people actually read it?? There will probably be a 'breaking in' period where they give warnings... so be prepared the first couple of cruises for it still to happen. Eventually people will learn. If non-smokers are as considerate as most smokers, everyone will be happy.

As to whether Princess will inforce the new rule, it is hard to say. They don't enforce rules now, so they could ignore this one too.

You're right Paul... but this is a health and safety issue, as compared to - no saving pool chairs or theater seats etc. I think they will try to enforce it as much as possible. But when it comes down to it - if someone smokes on the balcony... how can they possibly prove which balcony it came from?? Unless, of course, the person is an idiot and leaves butts and ashes lying around or there is a witness!! We'll see how this pans out.

Not everyone is a member of CC, or for that matter, has internet. I'm sure it will be stated in the 'Fine Print' of the Passage Contract... but how many people actually read it?? There will probably be a 'breaking in' period where they give warnings... so be prepared the first couple of cruises for it still to happen. Eventually people will learn. If non-smokers are as considerate as most smokers, everyone will be happy.

We were notified specifically of this change via email and important notices on the cruise personalizer. If someone doesn't have internet access, which is necessary to fill out precruise documentation, their TA should be notifying them of the poicy change.

You're right Paul... but this is a health and safety issue, as compared to - no saving pool chairs or theater seats etc. I think they will try to enforce it as much as possible. But when it comes down to it - if someone smokes on the balcony... how can they possibly prove which balcony it came from?? Unless, of course, the person is an idiot and leaves butts and ashes lying around or there is a witness!! We'll see how this pans out.

I'm sure there will be several cries of "it wasn't me, prove it" when the fines start popping up on accounts.....

Bob

I'm sure there will be several cries of "it wasn't me, prove it" when the fines start popping up on accounts.....
Stewards will be able to tell and document plus this is one issue that I'm guessing other passengers who are affected will report. If someone has smoked even one cigarette in the cabin, it'll be very obvious to both the steward and anyone passing the door. If someone is smoking on their balcony, next door neighbors and those above the smoker will know. Smoking is never private or undetectable no matter what anyone thinks. :(

We were notified specifically of this change via email and important notices on the cruise personalizer.

Obviously... you have internet access !

If someone doesn't have internet access, which is necessary to fill out precruise documentation, No it's not.

their TA should be notifying them of the poicy change.

And, if the TA doesn't notify them who's responsible for the fine??

Well Im a smoker and have never smoked in the cabin but with this new policy taking effect and the only place you can smoke is on the one side of the ship and certain areas there should be quite a crew up there now. Should get plenty of dirty looks. Was on the ruby last March and going back this March one of my biggest complants were people throwing towels on chairs and saving chairs this was terrable on sea days so y is this policy not enforced and smoking is going to be kind of a double standard right...

Unless, of course, the person is an idiot and leaves butts and ashes lying around or there is a witness!! We'll see how this pans out.

I'd prefer an idiot who left the butts & ashes around than someone who would flush it down the toilet or throw them overboard. :p

Two words.

Camera phone.

There isn't much privacy on balconies, simply snap a pic and provide it to the security officer who answers the call. Lets hope they smoke when fully dressed.

As a frequent Celebrity cruiser, who appreciates the fact that we can sit on our balcony without second hand smoke wafting around us...I sure as hope Princess will be as dilligent as X has been. If people are not aware of the rules by reading thru their documents... then by reading signs when boarding, reading literature daily in their cabin.. then they deserve to be fined for trying to play the system. You only can claim ignorance for only so long. :rolleyes: Non-smokers have the right to clean air in their personal space, especially when the policy is there in writing.

Stewards will be able to tell and document plus this is one issue that I'm guessing other passengers who are affected will report. If someone has smoked even one cigarette in the cabin, it'll be very obvious to both the steward and anyone passing the door. If someone is smoking on their balcony, next door neighbors and those above the smoker will know. Smoking is never private or undetectable no matter what anyone thinks. :(

....and there are security cameras that monitor the balconies.....;)

Archived