HAL's Poor Upgrade Policy

Darrell6t

I think you received a fantastic upgrade. If you are really sensitive to the motion, just go to the front desk and get some free SeaCalm. I usually take one each evening before bedtime. Helps me sleep and wear off some of the drowsy effect.

don't forget the Ginger after dinner - dh has resisted for years and FINALLY agreed it is a real benefit :)

We're taking our first HA cruise in November. When I booked, I chose our specific cabin based on previous cruisers' reviews and photos. Since it's exactly what I wanted (an aft suite with a fully covered wrap around balcony:D), I had our reservation marked "no upgrade." OP, were you not given that option?

Obviously I am getting little sympathy. And I can understand some of that. For me there are some important aspects of choosing a cabin besides size. Location, location, location. I avoid the deck directly under the Lido because you get the noise of chairs moving right above your head. I avoid the very front and very back of the ship because the movement is more extreme there. And it's nice to be a short walk from the elevators & stairs. Our original cabin was nearly an ideal location. The new cabin is directly under the aft pool deck so in good weather there will be the noise of the deck chairs being set up early each morning. Do you consider that a good thing?

(After more than 100 days on HAL this is the first upgrade we have ever been given without being asked. I have never heard of a check-off for "no upgrade". And I have experienced the noise from the Lido deck and the excessive motion of aft cabins.)

It ain't done till the ship sails....sometimes even then it's not over.

Call HAL right away and get switched back to the cabin you chose, or to a cabin closer to where you wanted to be in the first place.

I called immediately. I talked to an agent and a supervisor. The cruise is a week away and nearly full. Some passengers are already in Chile. Our original cabin has already been assigned to others. It is not a disaster. If the weather is mostly good, it will be wonderful. If the weather is nasty, it will be a disaster. If the Veendam hits an iceberg and sinks, we may be saved because we are now on a higher deck.

We're taking our first HA cruise in November. When I booked, I chose our specific cabin based on previous cruisers' reviews and photos. Since it's exactly what I wanted (an aft suite with a fully covered wrap around balcony:D), I had our reservation marked "no upgrade." OP, were you not given that option?

(After more than 100 days on HAL this is the first upgrade we have ever been given without being asked. I have never heard of a check-off for "no upgrade". And I have experienced the noise from the Lido deck and the excessive motion of aft cabins.)

I'm wondering, do other cruiselines have similar procedures?

After more than 100 days on HAL this is the first upgrade we have ever been given without being asked.

It's a frequent topic of conversation here on HAL CC forum and lots of people post about upgrade fairy granting them upgrades. Are you a regular reader of this forum?

Interesting responses to the OP's issue.

Yes, it's a wonderful upgrade.

But it doesn't matter how wonderful it is, because that's

not where he wants to be.

If the OP wanted to be in the upgraded location he would have chosen that category when he booked the cruise.

Although's HAL's policy is that they reserve the right to change room assignments after booking, it's still disappointing that this happened, and that after a phone call, HAL couldn't resolve it.

It's a frequent topic of conversation here on HAL CC forum and lots of people post about upgrade fairy granting them upgrades. Are you a regular reader of this forum?

In all fairness the vast majority of upgrade discussions here are about getting upgraded guarantees. I too have never experienced an upgrade but we only book specific cabins. On the other hand I did know, mostly from reading here over the years, that it was possible to get upgraded even if you had booked a specific cabin. Quite frankly I've never paid much attention to it and have never asked my TA to mark our record as "no upgrade" and even knowing about the potential would probably be a bit surprised if it happened. Of course we typically book deluxe suites on the smaller S and R class ships so the only cabin category to be upgraded to would be the Penthouse so I guess I couldn't and wouldn't complain. :)

If it was any other itinerary I would be very pleased. Most cruises have reasonably calm seas, so motion is not a big deal unless there is stormy weather. That is unpredictable, so we still look for a cabin that is not too far forward or aft. (And those who love aft cabins are welcome to them. I don't want one.) But this route is known to usually be rough and having a cabin near the center of the ship should be a good thing. So we picked our cabin carefully. Even 18 months ago there were quite a few already booked. Yesterday I was very upset. Today I have calmed down a bit and expect MOST of the time we will enjoy having a bigger cabin and a verandah. But I am not looking forward to being so close to the back on those rough days. This upgrade is a mixed blessing. My main objection is that they didn't ask first. That is where they fell down on customer service.

If you book via HAL online, there is an option to be excluded from any upgrades, it is right there on the screen. I suspect what happens is TA's or even HAL over the phone, probably never ask as they assume everyone wants an upgrade. Moral to the story is, if you want a specific cabin, as the OP did/does, be sure to have the auto upgraded turned off. I don't blame HAL for this as every line I am aware of does the same thing. It is one of those "live and learn" moments.

But this route is known to usually be rough and having a cabin near the center of the ship should be a good thing. So we picked our cabin carefully.

Did you book through a TA? If so, did they indicate there was a chance you could be upgraded out of the specifically chosen cabin? Did you indicate to the TA your desire to keep this cabin?

I did know, mostly from reading here over the years, that it was possible to get upgraded even if you had booked a specific cabin.

Yes and I'm curious why OP didn't over a decade on CC.

Here's hoping however that regardless of the semantics OP does enjoy their cruise after 18 months of anticipation.

My main objection is that the didn't ask first. That is where they fell down on customer service.

I always select my preferred cabin, mark the booking "do not upgrade", and have taken your route more than once.

I do totally understand where you're coming from. I would not be happy, either.

However, not asking you first is the one part where HAL followed it's standard operating procedure. If you have not marked your booking "do not upgrade", they have permission from you to go ahead and upgrade at their will.

If you have marked your booking. they might still upgrade you without asking, as it is in the contract that they may do so. I agree that may not be the best policy.

Last June I was upgraded from an "E" outside to an "A" veranda on the Prinsendam. I had carefully selected my cabin to have a shower, as I don't want a tub, and location to minimize walking. The booking was marked "Do not upgrade". The new location was all right, but the cabin had a tub. :( I hit the roof! Yes, I do understand.

My cruise was fine. I was very happy with my "porch" and used it most every day. I hope you can return saying the same thing.

However, not asking you first is the one part where HAL followed it's standard operating procedure. If you have not marked your booking "do not upgrade", they have permission from you to go ahead and upgrade at their will.

If you have marked your booking. they might still upgrade you without asking, as it is in the contract that they may do so.

Indeed:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1538962

To the OP I totally understand your concern over being toward the aft but I must say that I tend to get motion sick easily, forget small boats in rough seas, and I MUST be the driver in a car for any long distances but after over 30+ cruises and having had cabins on almost every area of a ship my very first choice of a cabin in rough seas is the aft or toward the aft. Just ask any of us that are Aft Dwellers. I know logistics state that the aft would be similar to the forward of the ship but truly at least to me it is not. I was so thrilled when the Upgrade Fairy blessed us with the corner aft for our Hawaii cruise. The Pacific has also been know to have some rough seas and when the Oosterdam was pushing 22 knots for over 4 days to get back from Hawaii there were several that complained about motion sickness, we were happy as can be up on deck 8 aft.

I am going to be honest if you hit some of that really severe seas that can occasionally happen on the itinerary you are doing it will not matter if you are mid ship or aft it will feel the same on a ship the size of the Veendam.

Yes and I'm curious why OP didn't over a decade on CC.

Here's hoping however that regardless of the semantics OP does enjoy their cruise after 18 months of anticipation.

I just bought some Sea-Bands and some extra Bonine. I will be sure to take the ginger tablets too. And many days are likely to be fairly calm. So I still expect to have a great cruise. After 18 months focused on one particular cabin, it was a shock to be switched so suddenly and without being consulted.

And I had never heard of this "no upgrade" thing despite being an old hand here on CC. I don't begin to read every topic though. So I have learned something.

...after over 30+ cruises and having had cabins on almost every area of a ship my very first choice of a cabin in rough seas is the aft or toward the aft. Just ask any of us that are Aft Dwellers. I know logistics state that the aft would be similar to the forward of the ship but truly at least to me it is not.

We were on one cruise heading south towards Mexico from San Diego or LA and we were invited for cocktails to an aft facing cabin. In our cabin there was virtually no motion. Back there you had to hang on to something to walk around. That was when I swore off aft cabins forever. But I am sure different ships handle the waves differently. We were in the tail end of a hurricane on the QM2 and it still barely moved. And in a wind storm on the Insignia in the Med where it was a problem to walk anywhere in the ship. The Veendam, being a fairly modest size, isn't ideal for rough weather.

I absolutely agree with Lisa. You got a great upgrade - without paying more for it. Next time, whichever line you cruise with, state "no upgrade" if you really love your cabin location. Have a great cruise.

Ditto...

If you book via HAL online, there is an option to be excluded from any upgrades, it is right there on the screen. I suspect what happens is TA's or even HAL over the phone, probably never ask as they assume everyone wants an upgrade. Moral to the story is, if you want a specific cabin, as the OP did/does, be sure to have the auto upgraded turned off. I don't blame HAL for this as every line I am aware of does the same thing. It is one of those "live and learn" moments.

When we booked our cruise for 2013 through HAL they did ask if we would like a free upgrade if it became available. I told him absolutely not-that's why we booked so early to get a specific cabin. I sure hope we don't get moved as I would be extremely disappointed even if they classified it as an upgrade.

I can understand why the OP is disappointed but sure am hoping for smooth sailing for you and you love the upgrade.

When we booked our cruise for 2013 through HAL they did ask if we would like a free upgrade if it became available. I told him absolutely not-that's why we booked so early to get a specific cabin. I sure hope we don't get moved as I would be extremely disappointed even if they classified it as an upgrade.

I can understand why the OP is disappointed but sure am hoping for smooth sailing for you and you love the upgrade.

we booked for 2013 and right now all we have is a guarantee! Inventory is not going to open for a bit. It's a new predicament for me but I'm trying to be patient;)

On any size cruise ship, I always feel the motion the most up at the front of the ship, although some people love the cabins up there.

The standard advice for the most stable location on a ship is to stay low and center. If you are skeptical as to whether or not that is true, you can easily prove it to yourself, as I did.

One night when it was especially rocky in rough seas we were really feeling the motion in our aft cabin. Drawers were sliding open and closed and objects were falling off the shelves. So I decided that would be a good time to find out.

I headed out to the central elevator bank, bouncing off the walls as I staggered through the hallway, rode an elevator down to the lowest deck where passengers could go, and got off. I stood there in the center of the ship for a while and realized that I could barely feel any motion at all down there. The difference was enormous. It didn't even feel like I was still on the same ship.

So did this mean that I was going to get an inside cabin on a low deck the next time?

Not at all. There is no way I am going to give up my balcony, motion or no motion. :D

I always select my preferred cabin, mark the booking "do not upgrade", and have taken your route more than once.

I do totally understand where you're coming from. I would not be happy, either.

If you have marked your booking. they might still upgrade you without asking, as it is in the contract that they may do so. I agree that may not be the best policy.

Last June I was upgraded from an "E" outside to an "A" veranda on the Prinsendam. I had carefully selected my cabin to have a shower, as I don't want a tub, and location to minimize walking. The booking was marked "Do not upgrade". The new location was all right, but the cabin had a tub. :( I hit the roof! Yes, I do understand.

My cruise was fine. I was very happy with my "porch" and used it most every day. I hope you can return saying the same thing.

Now in that case you have a real beef :confused:. I would not have handled that well. I understand about want specific cabins, most of us spend some amount of time figuring which ones will best suit our needs.

To the OP, don't let it ruin your cruise. When given lemons...well you know the saying.

Archived