WOW ---- the 'Behometh'-of-the-Seas

'The Bear'

I was watching the cruiseships arrival at FLL on the webcam, this morning, and saw the 'Silver Spirit' pass in front of the already docked 'Allure of the Seas' ------ she was completely dwarfed!!!! This sure put the size of that monster in perspective for moi !!

I was watching the cruiseships arrival at FLL on the webcam' date=' this morning, and saw the 'Silver Spirit' pass in front of the already docked 'Allure of the Seas' ------ she was completely dwarfed!!!! This sure put the size of that monster in perspective for moi !![/quote']

Whenever she is in port in Fort Lauderdale, there is no question about her size. she sticks out like a sore thumb;)

I feel the same way, but I'm a go for experiencing almost anything ONCE. When the Prinsendam returns from her fall transatlantic it typically does an Amazon round trip from Ft. Lauderdale. Prinsendams schedule ends with the November transatlantic on November 26. If at that time it goes on to the Amazon I will probably book it and also a great Crystal Symphony itinerary NY to Miami November 2-16. In the intervening 10 days, I would probably try out one of the megaships (most likely the Epic).

Roy

On the Eurodam 12/10, first the allure left ahead of us in ft Lauderdale and than docked next to us in St Thomas. It is huge. They had 4 gangways open for their passangers. During coffee chat that week, Captain Bowland talked about the Allure and how the ship is the destination there not the ports.

I returned from TA to FLL. There was the Allure of the Seas.

The two, in the same view was remarkable and I'd wish I'd had my camera out.

I love the Prinsendam. Other HAL ships are also great. But even the Zuiderdam is too big for me.

Personally I'd love to check out both the Allure and Oasis.I'd not turn down a chance to see any of the marvels of the world.

The only reason we've not been on either, is that there is no itinerary that is intriquing to us. It feels like it is just a shuttle ride to the same couple of places in the East or West Carib. I guess that is smart as they can get full boats to pay for the boats, but a ship of that size I'd love to see do a combo 10-18 days that rolls all through the East, down to ABC and then right up the Western Carib.

Derek

Time to post the picture of the Maasdam and Oasis o.t.S. at St Thomas again. Like others, I'd love to get on either the Oasis or Allure to walk around and gawk for a few hours, but I have absolutely no desire to sail on a floating mall.

2217487360099632937S500x500Q85.jpg

Last year I was on the Celebrity Solstice enjoying a wonderful cruise, when we pulled into St Thomas. It was morning and my drapes to the veranda were still drawn.

When I finally opened them I wondered how we could have docked so close to a big building that was that close to the pier in St Thomas.

When I walked out onto the veranda I realized it was the Oasis of The Seas! From my room I could only see about eight floors of ship the full width of my veranda view.

On St Thomas I spoke with several passengers about their experience. It seemed that most felt it was like an all-inclusive resort and not so much a cruise. Merry go rounds, a midway, Central Park, 20 or so eating choices, zip line, ice skating, broadway show, etc etc. Many also had walkie talkies so they could find their family members. Without them, they said it might be possible not to run into them for days.

Not my idea of a cruise, but thats why the ice cream store has 31 flavors!!

Time to post the picture of the Maasdam and Oasis o.t.S. at St Thomas again. Like others, I'd love to get on either the Oasis or Allure to walk around and gawk for a few hours, but I have absolutely no desire to sail on a floating mall.

2217487360099632937S500x500Q85.jpg

Great point of reference.

It is amazing to me how they can sell their cabins for such a high price and get what they ask for. I have yet to find a bargin on either the Oasis or the Allure. DH and I would never cruise the big ships but if DS his wife and our DD decided to join us we would probably consider it. We took DD with us on the Westerdam and she said she would prefer something with more people her age.

The USS Ronald Regan is the largest ship in the US Navy, It holds up to 80 aircraft of differing types, ( 7 air wings ) it is 104,000 tons and 1092 ft long ( flight deck) and can launch and recover jet aircraft at one a min.

it has a crew of 3200 and with all pilots and air crew that increases to 5680 max. Big,

Well check the ant farm of the sea....:eek:

Allure on the sea is....ready ..... 225,282 tons ( aircraft carrier is 104,000)

8300 passengers and crew. (carrier 5600)

1182 ft long ( 90 ft longer than a carrier)

So, it is over 2 times the size of a friggen aircraft carrier.... Who said mall of America? :eek:

When they leave Ft. Lauderdale they are about as high as the high rise apartment buildings along the waterway.

You do not want to be at the airport when the disembark along with the other five or six ships in port. The number of people make for long TSA lines.

Archived