which tables get officers

Watson's aunt

Hi

my last cruise (Amsterdam Alaska) I was at a table with 6 other people. it was a table for 8. During the cruise we had officers sit and have dinner with us. Who deciceds where the officers go.It made the cruise very special. I would love to have the same experience again

It varies hugely.

Copper John once gave a description on this board and as I recall he said something about Officers informing the Dining Room Manager (formerly known as Maitre d') if they are dressing and coming out for formal night. They will request the DRM seat them at a table. How those assignments are actually made probably depend on where there are empty seats, where DRM thinks the group would welcome having an Officer join them and who knows what other variables.

It is very hit or miss and a treat that can never be 'counted on'.

You certainly could make a request and who knows but that you might get lucky. :)

Count yourself very lucky:D When we were on the Volendam, we had a table of 6, couldn't figure out why there were only 4 of us until the officers started to join :D It was a real pleasure and I hear you well. Since then it has never happened again and i doubt it will but we will never forget the experience.

You might be one of the lucky ones - but this isn't something that happens on a regular basis.

What is becoming even more rare are tables hosted by Senior Officers and Captain. Used to be most formal nights, they would have a table but no longer. I suspect after Concordia there will be even less.

On our Oosterdam cruise in '08 we had different ships officers for 3 out of 7 nights and it was a great experience, and on the last 3 cruises we have struck out. Seeing the comments we think we were very foutunate to have that experience. Hope our luck turns on the Nieuw Amsterdamn in Sept. but being in the Med. I would have to agree with sail7seas the chance is less.:(

I've only been joined by an officer when I was at a round table, never a rectangular one. Not every round table I was at got one, either. More often it was a table for 8, but I do remember having one at a table for 6 once.

We chatted with the DRM once to see where our table would be. We kidded him it was worst worst table in the house. It was a delightful chat. It turned out we had an officer sit with us on formal nights.

Someone asked how tables were chosen and he said it was by the Dining Room Manager.

A true story...make of it what you will.

Was the tradition in the past that the most influential passengers dined with the Captain? Does anyone know how it used to work? (not in the 20'2, but in the more recent past?)

Well when I dined with the Captain on NCL I can assure you I was certainly not one of their more influential guests. Only 2 other sailings on NCL, standard veranda cabin. No idea how they chose us.

We had one dining with HAL years ago - again - it was only our second sailing - nothing fancy by way of our room. A lot of people at the table were far more experienced than us.

My best guess - they were picking a mix? Who knows?

On Zaandam a few years ago we were at a table for eight or ten, which was usually half full at best. As I recall we had three visits, four persons each time. We had the Cruise Director and wife, navigator and girl friend twice, and another couple that I can't recall.

It was very informative, and, in every case they were most generous with the wine.:)

john

Just a few observations and a suggestion.

We had an officer join us on both formal nights on our very first cruise which was on the Ryndam. What a way to start our cruising experience! And by the way we were at a round table for eight. We did not have an officer join us again until the Rotterdam (btw again a round table for eight)when we had an officer for the first formal night. But on that cruise we made friends with the lifestylist and she said that we could request the company of an officer to dine with us. So we wrote a note to guest relations asking her to be allowed to join us and she did. So you can always try asking.

St. Louis Sal

On my 2008 Maasdam cruise I was at a table for 8 on the late dining. We had one open seat at our table.

On the first formal night, the Maitre d' arrived at the table and told us we would have a visitor for dinner. The visitor was the chief purser. We were in shock for a moment. He was really a nice gentlemen with great info about the ship and life on board.

Like you stated Mr. Green, the wine was flowing freely at dinner and never was your glass half full. I had to tell the wine steward stop after a certain point. One of my tablemates had beer instead.

Now none of us were suite guest and we had people with only five to twenty sailings at the table. None of us were influential guest. But it was a honor.

I guess we must been great company because the chief purser ate with us again during the sailing and we also had the party planner (?) one night.

I doubt if this will ever happen again, but I really enjoyed it and consider it a highlight of a great cruise.

I know you will probably all crucify me, but I'm dying to know....what is so special about the crew that it is considered a privilege to know them or have them dine with you? I've gotten to know several officers, dined with officers, etc but never considered it a privilege. It usually happened when I asked them a question about something and we started chatting as I would with anyone else in life. I didn't seek them out because of the job they have.

When we booked the cruise we hired the crew to drive and maintain the ship and make sure we are happy and safe during the cruise. Bus drivers, ferry captains and taxi drivers all perform the same job as a cruise ship captain but I don't see people treating them like they do ship captains. Why? What am I missing?

I know you will probably all crucify me, but I'm dying to know....what is so special about the crew that it is considered a privilege to know them or have them dine with you? I've gotten to know several officers, dined with officers, etc but never considered it a privilege. It usually happened when I asked them a question about something and we started chatting as I would with anyone else in life. I didn't seek them out because of the job they have.

When we booked the cruise we hired the crew to drive and maintain the ship and make sure we are happy and safe during the cruise. Bus drivers, ferry captains and taxi drivers all perform the same job as a cruise ship captain but I don't see people treating them like they do ship captains.

Why? What am I missing?

I'm not going to crucify you at all - dining with the captain - is like absolutely impeccable dining - superb service - fantastic wines - and very stimulating conversation - plus your picture to keep to remember the memory. With a good captain, it's a fabulous memory - if you get the offer (invitation) don't turn it down and then you can judge for yourself.

Somehow I don't equate a bus driver or taxi driver to a captain on a cruise ship. Sure, he/she is getting us there but they have a lot more skills than that and a lot of experience that is a joy to share.;)

Had a table for eight on the old Noordam years ago on my first cruise. The nurse from the infirmary as a tablemate for fourteen days and had the most interesting tales on a cruise where four passengers and one crewman died.:eek:

That was probably more interesting than the conversations that you might get from the Chief Engineer or the Hazardous Materials officer.

DON

Hi

I was thrilled to have a officer sit at my table. I had sick doctor and her husband, the chief accountant, one more person I forget. the last time we had a extra chait but who ever was coming something happened and he could not come. Pluse we had free wine. Learned alot of the ship, other highlander cruises and just chit chat

Mary (Alaska 6/10/11-6/24/11 Amsterdam)

Any thoughts on which is the likeliest seating for having an officer join a table? Early or late fixed? Fixed or open seating? Yes the question does have a point. We have a six-top with only 5 persons confirmed for early fixed. Given the discussion I just wonder the chances. It would be a hoot and a great treat for my mom and aunt.

Dennis

We had a ship's officer and her husband dine with us twice on our 30 day sailing. We originally had a table for 8, early dining, but two of our table mates had to leave the ship due to illness. This left us with 2 empty chairs. There was as much free wine as we wanted and the conversation was so interesting and informative. I would love to have it happen again but realize it was probably a once in a lifetime event.

On the Eurodam 2 years ago, we had the ship's doctor at our table of 8. What a great social gal. Doctor Ellie even gave us a subsequent tour of the medical facilities one day. She was delightful and great fun. Love to see her again.

Archived