Cabin Stewards really make this much $$$

From what I have been told by several stewards, they get paid 25.00 per month plus tips. They have to pay for someone to help them on turnaround day to get all of the rooms in their area ready for the new passengers. In addition, while they get their return ticket paid for, they are responsible for paying for their flight/transportation home. As far as the waiters are concerned, they are assigned a specific number of tables..which i hear is in direct corralation to their performance on evaluations from passengers. If people dont show up or decide to eat at specialty restaurants/buffet the majority of the time, they lose out on their tips, which is what they live on....considering most are supporting families, it is a stressful way of life but they always greet us with a warm smile

You shoud read "Cruise Confidential" By David Bruns. It is fascinating!

Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline is a 2008 travelogue by author Brian David Bruns that won two national awards at the 2009 Book Expo America in New York City; Gold Medal Humor Book of the Year from ForeWord Magazine and the Benjamin Franklin Awards Humor Book of the Year.

Cruise Confidential describes the contract Bruns worked with Carnival Cruise Lines in their restaurants. He was the first American waiter in 30 years to complete a full contract without quitting. In the book Bruns describes the harsh working conditions for crew on various cruise ships, including the world’s largest (at the time) Carnival Conquest. Despite the hardships of racism, managerial abuses of power, and the unrealistic expectations of the industry, he meets a host of bizarre characters and manages to achieve his goals.

In his thirteen months at sea, he shares cabins with a Thai waiter, an insomniac Indian Reborn Christian, as well as a host of sex-craved men from all over the earth; he discovers waiters are required to steal supplies and even food to serve their guests, and endures belligerent kitchen antics he refers to as “pancake Darwinism” – “survival of the fittest.” He witnessed emotional breakdowns by crew members denied adequate medical care, as well as promotions courtesy of sexual favors. Eventually Bruns worked an average of one hundred hours a week for less than minimum wage on Carnival Legend.

Ultimately Bruns realized he was singled out because of his nationality, discovering that America’s role in the world is largely misunderstood in the United States. Bruns challenges American complacency toward its role in the world through having to endure numerous forms of retaliation from the international community that makes the cruise industry stay afloat.

Show More

LOL! This stuff be funny to me that people really get caught up into a big discussion about what people make. The only time I have thought about wages of a particular career is when it was some job I was interested in. On my cruises I pre pay gratuities to do the right thing. For excellent service I give extra in cash in the envelopes I give to them but regardless of quality of service everybody gets their envelope with the voucher. Whenever this comes up on CC everyone seems to be experts on the pay of cruise ship workers and if you go back into some of the past ones when someone has supposedly talked to a worker about it, it is always a different story! Would anyone here like to start a discussion about how much they are currently getting paid???

Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline is a 2008 travelogue by author Brian David Bruns that won two national awards at the 2009 Book Expo America in New York City; Gold Medal Humor Book of the Year from ForeWord Magazine and the Benjamin Franklin Awards Humor Book of the Year.

Cruise Confidential describes the contract Bruns worked with Carnival Cruise Lines in their restaurants. He was the first American waiter in 30 years to complete a full contract without quitting. In the book Bruns describes the harsh working conditions for crew on various cruise ships, including the world’s largest (at the time) Carnival Conquest. Despite the hardships of racism, managerial abuses of power, and the unrealistic expectations of the industry, he meets a host of bizarre characters and manages to achieve his goals.

In his thirteen months at sea, he shares cabins with a Thai waiter, an insomniac Indian Reborn Christian, as well as a host of sex-craved men from all over the earth; he discovers waiters are required to steal supplies and even food to serve their guests, and endures belligerent kitchen antics he refers to as “pancake Darwinism” – “survival of the fittest.” He witnessed emotional breakdowns by crew members denied adequate medical care, as well as promotions courtesy of sexual favors. Eventually Bruns worked an average of one hundred hours a week for less than minimum wage on Carnival Legend.

Ultimately Bruns realized he was singled out because of his nationality, discovering that America’s role in the world is largely misunderstood in the United States. Bruns challenges American complacency toward its role in the world through having to endure numerous forms of retaliation from the international community that makes the cruise industry stay afloat.

Show More

Well, did you expect him to sell any books if he only had good things to say about the industry? Books with the word "confidential" in their titles tell me right away that they're going to be a work of fiction.

Show More

I read this whilst on a 14 night transatlantic sailing, very interesting it was too.

Comparing cabin stewards and kids club staff is comparing apples and oranges. Kids club staff get a real salary unlike cabin stewards whose salary is mostly the tips they receive.

I wasn't comparing I was just stating what her specific job was. It is possible that no American's work as cabin stewards (I have no idea, never done a Hawaii cruise), but many are waiters and you tip them too.

When has $54 K a year not been that much money? It is more than what I make with a Bach degree. I think it is all perspective.

Show More

THanks, just ordered it off of amazon to bring with me on my upcoming cruise!:) By the way, there is a sequel to it also

THanks, just ordered it off of amazon to bring with me on my upcoming cruise!:) By the way, there is a sequel to it also

Yes,Ship for Brains and he is finishing up a third..Unsinkable Mister Brown(coming out next month).........he has written several other books(not cruise related) and has won awards for them..

We have been cruising a while now and have a few under our belt:).

Yes we agree the hours are long for all crew onboard , some guests are total slobs and leave their cabins like a pig sty, I am of the ilk that when I leave my cabin the only thing left on the floor are the towels I want changing. No one has commented on the fact that you will see the same crew year in, year out if not on the same ship in the same region so things can't be that bad.

We were really embarrassed one cruise when we were sat with new friends ,a member of crew working as a bar server who we regarded as a friend as we had know him a number of years started to recite a sob story, what ??? He knew that we always tipped and we were embarrassed for our friends as that was what the premise of his story was for.

Another time we had had great service from someone in the CL who we had known from another ship. We had many an in depth conversation about cricket, this person stupidly told us about how he was placing bets of $100s from the ship to his country by phone !! needless to say our tip was greatly reduced

You got great service from him but reduced his tip based on your judgement/disagreement of what he did with his money? Not cool.

Well, did you expect him to sell any books if he only had good things to say about the industry? Books with the word "confidential" in their titles tell me right away that they're going to be a work of fiction.

I agree here. Who knows, the book may be completely accurate or it may be someone's opinion who likes to complain and stir up trouble.

I have worked with tons of completely nutty people in my lifetime, those who think everyone is out to get them and nothing is ever fair. People would complain about the silliest things and would have their friends and family thinking they worked for the worst company on earth and the most unethical bosses. Most of the time none of it was true.

Not saying anything about this particular person but who knows. I think it would still be an interesting read. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Although I haven't read the book (sounds interesting tho) I don't think he is far off. We have spoken to some bar staff over our few cruises. They paint a pretty glim picture of life on board. Long hours. Double shifts. Maybe one day off in 7. Not something an American would do because it is below us. We are too far removed from our ancestral roots and expect everything for nothing.

They don't work an entire year. They are on a specific number of months contract. When done they get time off and have to reapply for another contract so they really aren't making $54000 per year. They work hard for the time they are there.

Although I haven't read the book (sounds interesting tho) I don't think he is far off. We have spoken to some bar staff over our few cruises. They paint a pretty glim picture of life on board. Long hours. Double shifts. Maybe one day off in 7. Not something an American would do because it is below us. We are too far removed from our ancestral roots and expect everything for nothing.

They don't work an entire year. They are on a specific number of months contract. When done they get time off and have to reapply for another contract so they really aren't making $54000 per year. They work hard for the time they are there.

Waiters, assistants, cabin stewards and bar folks contracts are 9 months on the ship and two months or less off between contracts - if they choose to return. Also, they get 4 hours off the ship a week at the port of their choice - schedule permitting.

On turn around day the Cabin Stewards gets help from housekeeping personnel (the folks you see cleaning the rest of the ship during the cruise) and they share their gratuities with them - this was the reason for the increase to $5.

We've had this discussion lots of times and I have mentioned the Wait person we had at our 2 top on Splendour. It may seem dismal by our standards but is quite adequate by other locations in the world. Our gal said she worked for 7 months in the MDR and it was enough to pay for apartment rent, tuition and books for her law school for a whole year back in Estonia or one of the eastern block countries I forget. She had a young child too and missed him terribly but she said it was worth the sacrifice to her.

The Sous Chef from Austrailia who led our galley tour also replied to my question about wages, that "if it wasn't lucritive, I'd be back home working in some restaurant." Course that is a little different from the stewards and wait staff. More Money. I only asked him about it because my nephew was considering a career on the cruise line. He's a baker.

Yes,Ship for Brains and he is finishing up a third..Unsinkable Mister Brown(coming out next month).........he has written several other books(not cruise related) and has won awards for them..

Well I guess HE knew where the real money is! I'm sure it was investigative labor so he could gather info for his books.

Just got off Explorer this morning.

Our cabin steward had 15 cabins, and they no longer work in pairs so he had all 15 cabins by himself and gets the total tips.

Cabin stewards make $5.00 a day per person. So at the least he has 30 people to take care of.

Yes I know he works about 5 hours in the morning and 5 hours at night.

and yes I know not everyone tips but lets say it's a perfect world and everyone tip the $5.00 per day.

So by doing the math 30 people x $5.00= $150.00 a day

$150 a day times 361 days comes out to $54,150.00

Do they really make that much or does Royal Caribbean take some of that money from them?

$150 a day????

Jimbo:)

You forgot to mention that they get free room and board so that money is clear profit. Also, some passengers tip above the minimum.

If the jobs are so good and the salary is so good, why don't you or other underpaid Americans line up for the job. Do you think that you just might be missing something?

DON

Kathy........you might as well roll out the other books that are so worth reading, including the Devil on the Deep Blue Sea, and a host of others that really outlines the starting days of cruise ships, as we know them today.

There are also some other books that give the life of a crew member...that is truthful.......I'll dig up the name.

Thanks for bringing some new ones to light for me. I'm swamped in a remodel......and cannot come up for air.....excecpt CC!:D

Rick

Has anyone ever walked by cabins whose doors are open for cleaning?

Some of them are left like pig stys...I feel sorry for many of the cabin stewards especially when they get stiffed out of gratuities by cheap pax.:(

I haven't been on a cruise yet but I do have sympathy for any housekeeping staff. When my husband and I travel we make sure everything is tidy before we leave the hotel room... clothes tucked away or in suitcases, any papers or personal items stacked to the side or put away in our bags, blankets on the bed roughly made so it doesn't look like we just kicked everything off and rolled out, towels hung up or in the tub. But then again I always figure never spite someone when they have access to my things or my food.

Not knowing the industry!!!! does this mean that these guys work for tips only? The cruise company does not pay them a wage?

Just curious coming from a non tipping country

Nearly all of their income is from gratuities; they only are paid about $50 a month in salary from the cruise line. The automatic gratuities posted to your on board account are really more of a service charge for basic expected service than a tip.

Kathy........you might as well roll out the other books that are so worth reading, including the Devil on the Deep Blue Sea, and a host of others that really outlines the starting days of cruise ships, as we know them today.

There are also some other books that give the life of a crew member...that is truthful.......I'll dig up the name.

Thanks for bringing some new ones to light for me. I'm swamped in a remodel......and cannot come up for air.....excecpt CC!:D

Rick

Thanks Rick.............I did read Devil OTDBS;)........I just got a NOOK so would love the names of some more books about real life..

I would think they're making some type of salary from Royal Caribbean as well. They're def not getting rich but if you're able to deal with being away from your family for such long periods, it seems like it's a decent living. They prob have little to no expenses so they can send a lot of money home.

Archived