Cabin Stewards really make this much $$$

OK it´s been discussed already that the crew doesn´t work the whole year, but I´m really curious how you came up with 361 days? :confused:

What´s the 4 days you thought they get off?

Sorry wasn't figuring leap year either that we just had...my bad:eek:

Jimbo:)

Just got off Explorer this morning.

Our cabin steward had 15 cabins, and they no longer work in pairs so he had all 15 cabins by himself and gets the total tips.

Jimbo where did you get the information that they do not work in pairs?

On my Freedom cruise in September 2011 my cabin steward said someone else cleaned our bathroom.

Has anyone ever walked by cabins whose doors are open for cleaning?

Some of them are left like pig stys...I feel sorry for many of the cabin stewards especially when they get stiffed out of gratuities by cheap pax.:(

Indeed I second that

On my Freedom cruise in September 2011 my cabin steward said someone else cleaned our bathroom.

Talked directly to our room steward, he was the only one doing our cabin the entire 11 days. They no longer have a helper during the cruise. He had 15 cabins by himself.

Did see that this morning though on turnaround day they did have extra people helping changing all bed linen, etc.

When you tip a waiter in a restaurant (on land), they have to split their tips with the bus person, and usually, the hostess/host who seats you.

And truthfully, it's no one's business but theirs! They accept the job knowing how the pay works. If they don't like the way the company does business, they don't accept the job. Simple.

So, I never worry about anyone else's pay....we compensate AT LEAST the suggested tip amounts....their rules! We abide!

When you tip a waiter in a restaurant (on land), they have to split their tips with the bus person, and usually, the hostess/host who seats you.

And truthfully, it's no one's business but theirs! They accept the job knowing how the pay works. If they don't like the way the company does business, they don't accept the job. Simple.

So, I never worry about anyone else's pay....we compensate AT LEAST the suggested tip amounts....their rules! We abide!

Sorry CB, you're wrong on the waiter having to share their tips. Some restaurant owners do make their servers share their tips and some don't. Tipped employees(front of the house) in most busy restaurants are making more than the hourly employees and it's begining to be a problem. Also, in the US tipped employees rarely report 100% of their tips as it is common knowledge in the restaurant industry that the IRS only monitors restaurants to make sure that their tipped employees are reporting at least 10%.

Sorry, but I really have to wonder why people are thrilled to discuss what other people make. I know lots like to play this game but I have never seen anything good come out of it! I've seen folks at work search high and low to find out what a fellow worker makes and then be very upset when they find out they make more!!

Sorry but who cares how much they make, if they share their tips, if they send money home, and all the other questions. I see no point in it other than to convince some that they don't need to tip the suggested amount because look how much they're making already!

You are of course entitled to your opinion but that's mine.

free room and board included ontop of whatever they make in tips (minus what they have to share) isn't bad!

It is only free board if they are single - most are supporting families back home so still paying board.

It's not that anyone "cares" how much ships' employees make, but I think that we all might be a little curiousl We spend a lot of time talking with our servers, and cabin stewards, bartenders, etc. I like to learn about their countries and their families. So when my server tells me about his mother that he supports back in Bosnia, and how he'd love to bring her to this country but she's too old and set in her ways to move, I find it fascinating that he works as hard as he does to send the money home to her.

So when someone does the math like this, assuming they make $50K before taxes, and paying out RCI in some way, let's say they only make $25K when it's all said and done. That just goes to show you how much better it is here than in Guatemala, Sweden, Romania, or wherever they come from, that they would do these jobs that Americans are too proud to do, and leave their families for months on end.

We should all consider ourselves blessed to have been born here, or in first world nations that offer the opportunities we have. And pick up your dirty underwear so your cabin steward doesn't have to deal with it.... :p

It's not that anyone "cares" how much ships' employees make, but I think that we all might be a little curiousl We spend a lot of time talking with our servers, and cabin stewards, bartenders, etc. I like to learn about their countrie That just goes to show you how much better it is here than in Guatemala, Sweden, Romania, or wherever they come from, that they would do these jobs that Americans are too proud to do, and leave their families for months on end.s and their families. So when my server tells me about his mother that he supports back in Bosnia, and how he'd love to bring her to this country but she's too old and set in her ways to move, I find it fascinating that he works as hard as he does to send the money home to her.

So when someone does the math like this, assuming they make $50K before taxes, and paying out RCI in some way, let's say they only make $25K when it's all said and done. That just goes to show you how much better it is here than in Guatemala, Sweden, Romania, or wherever they come from, that they would do these jobs that Americans are too proud to do, and leave their families for months on end.

We should all consider ourselves blessed to have been born here, or in first world nations that offer the opportunities we have. And pick up your dirty underwear so your cabin steward doesn't have to deal with it.... :p

I'm sure there are not any Swedish citizens working as hourly service employee's on RCCL.

If Jimbo's original estimate was correct (it isn't) there would be a long line of unemployed people looking for these jobs. However the reality of what is involved, including the hours and conditions of work involved not to mention all of the other factors makes it a much less attractive job than some might wish to believe it is. Whatever the room stewards earn, IMHO, they definitely deserve it or more.:)

free room and board included ontop of whatever they make in tips (minus what they have to share) isn't bad!

Since they don't have any other options of where to eat or sleep "free room and board" really doesn't have the same meaning. They can only eat and sleep on company property. Seems more like sacrificing freedom and accepting restrictions.

Another recent initiative from Royal,more work for the solitary cabin attendant plus they are not able to train the next batch so a double whammy.

I really don't care what people make. Each person will chose what they want in life, and how to go about their business, and each and everyone of those hard working people on a ship, chose that lifestyle, and they did it knowing what it would be like.

If I was to make 50K in Florida, than I would have to make 78K in NYC, and on the same note, many other areas of the country, the living index is lower.

Many employees come from countries and areas where if it was 50K, they would be the equivalent of millionairs. Sorry, but what they make is no ones business or concern. They chose the life.

We have been cruising a while now and have a few under our belt:).

Yes we agree the hours are long for all crew onboard , some guests are total slobs and leave their cabins like a pig sty, I am of the ilk that when I leave my cabin the only thing left on the floor are the towels I want changing. No one has commented on the fact that you will see the same crew year in, year out if not on the same ship in the same region so things can't be that bad.

We were really embarrassed one cruise when we were sat with new friends ,a member of crew working as a bar server who we regarded as a friend as we had know him a number of years started to recite a sob story, what ??? He knew that we always tipped and we were embarrassed for our friends as that was what the premise of his story was for.

Another time we had had great service from someone in the CL who we had known from another ship. We had many an in depth conversation about cricket, this person stupidly told us about how he was placing bets of $100s from the ship to his country by phone !! needless to say our tip was greatly reduced

Well only if you think living in a very tiny cabin (think closet) with one or two other people is a good deal.

Plus most have families back home and need to continue to pay their rent or mortgage, so nothing really free there.

The reality is for most of theses people it is a big sacrifice but one that is obviously worth while to them this is probably significantly more than they could make at home. However, they earn every penny for sure. But lets not act like they are being held like slaves against their will. They live In a small room separated from loved ones by choice. They are not paying for their own food or housing as they would have to if working in another country that pays better than their own. I'm not saying to cheapen your tip...if they do the job then they by all means earned it.

Even if your math is correct ( and I know EVERYONE does not tip! ) that would only be about 12.00 and hour before they tip out the other people in the tip pool. Assuming only 75% of people tip, that would be $112 per day which would be roughly $9 per hour before tipping out.

Would you really do that job for $9 per hour?

Well only if you think living in a very tiny cabin (think closet) with one or two other people is a good deal.

Plus most have families back home and need to continue to pay their rent or mortgage, so nothing really free there.

Isn't their food free?

Sounds like my military days. Only difference....I made less.

Archived