Poor customer service or pax expecting too much?

vijoge

I don't think it's asking too much for the cruise line to provide a functional, clean cabin. Celebrity did not do a good job here and definitely dropped the ball.

On its face, it sounds like terrible customer service. If things transpired as the article suggests, I would consider anything less than a 50% credit towards a comparable cabin on a comparable ship to be poor customer service.

I don't think an offer of a credit on a future cruise has any value at all. If my experience with a cruise line was this bad, I would never sail with them again, under any circumstances, at any price.

A great portion of their vacation was ruined as well as their luggage and belongings being damaged. They simply did not get what they paid for.

I think Celebrity got off far too cheaply on this one.

Last year friends of ours had a similar problem on this ship; I don't believe the ship was as crowded since they were upgraded to a better room.

Yeah, I'd like to hear the other side of the story too. He didn't want to pay the auto-tip because he was afraid the folks at guest relations would get it? :confused: Even if guest relations completely dropped the ball on this one -- which they may have -- I'll bet the room stewards worked their fannies off trying to help deal with this situation and provide these folks with whatever assistance they could. And, what about the dining room staff (and their part of the auto-tip) -- were they to blame for the flooded cabin too? :eek: I have to admit, the aggrieved passenger in that article had me -- right up until that point! :rolleyes:

I think their internal policy decisions have nothing to do with my expectations of customer satisfaction. Full refund is the only thing acceptable if the article is taken on face value.

I totally agree. To me, a full refund is the only answer based on the information given. I find it shameful on Celebrity's part. It also is enough to make me choose another cruise line. Heaven forbid this happened to me I would be so miserable. This alone would stop me from booking a cruise. If they treated these people this way, they would do the same to me. No thanks.

One more vote for a full refund. There is obviously no one at celebrity and probably their holding company that understands customer relations...it's truly sad. their automatic answer to any situation like this is no.

This was Celebrity's problem. Had they handled it better they might still have a happy customer. Nonetheless, even if there was nothing else Celebrity could do, the broken pipe was Celebrity's problem, so I don't think the customer was expecting too much.

We were disappointed with the response from the customer relations' manager during a recent Millie cruise, and our issue was insignificant compared to the situation described in this article. I can't imagine having this experience on an anniversary cruise and attempting to deal with the same manager.

If it happened as described, I think a complimentary replacement cruise is quite appropriate plus reimbursement for the damaged property.

They should have received a full refund.

A similar thing occurred to us on the last night (thank goodness) of our Summit cruise last year. I was just getting into bed after putting our luggage in the hall when I heard-drip..drip...drop.drop.drop- then a steady stream of water right over the bed.

We were moved to a cabin down the hall after some insistence in our part. They were going to put us on an inside cabin but I insisted on getting at least an equivalent space. Clearly it was not the best way to end a great cruise but we never asked for anything other than a dry cabin to sleep in. If this had happened earlier in the cruise and we had to pack up and move I would have expected at least a partial refund or a full credit towards a future cruise.

My normal reaction to such a report would be, like others, that there are two sides to every story. However, we had similar [although not as severe] problems on our 14 night Millennium TA in 2007. The bedroom carpet in our Celebrity Suite and that in the hallway outside became saturated with water. In our case the source of the water could not be found although is continued for some days. Again there was no other suites or staterooms available [and it would have been hard to have given up our first suite]. This incident happened around mid-week on the first week of the cruise.

We were prepared to accept that accidents happen and did not blame Celebrity for what had happened. What was inexcuseable was that the crew spend all their effort drying up the water in the hallway which was much less than in our bedroom. We were annoyed but our butler was horrified at the attitude! He and our stateroom attendants hi-jacked the drying equipment for the hallway, moved all the bedroom furniture and dryed the room as much as possible. They managed to get the exposed areas dry but the carpet under the bed never dried out and began to smell quite early on.

Whilst on board, no one other than our butler and stateroom attendants apologised to us. In fact, we were plagued by calls following-up on a problem with our telephone which we had not reported or even noticed but received no visits or calls about the water problem. It did appear to us that there was a crew morale problem on that particular cruise. As I have said, our butler and stateroom attendants were wonderful as were the people in the Olympic restaurant. It was very different with the rest of the officers and crew. It was impossible to get a "good morning" from anyone while walking round the ship and regular Celebrity guests know how unusual that is.

This was our second cruise [both on Celebrity] and so we knew that this was not necessarily typical of Celebrity. On our return home, we wrote to Celebrity in the UK and USA. They investigated, apologised to us and gave us an acceptable future cruise credit. We have stayed loyal Celebrity customers ever since but, had it been our first ever cruise as it appeared that it was for the OP, the outcome may well have been different.

Sue

I think their internal policy decisions have nothing to do with my expectations of customer satisfaction. Full refund is the only thing acceptable if the article is taken on face value.

I agree, if the article is 100% accurate, they deserve to get a full refund of the price they paid for the cruise, plus any additional damages they incurred to clothing, personal items.

I agree 100%. The refund should also have been accompanied by an immediate move to a more acceptable cabin and dramatic efforts to clean and dry all of their belongings. Based on the story I'd find it hard to believe there is another side as it seems to me a burst pipe and wet floor is a burst pipe and wet floor; but who knows.

I am surprised they found that an inside camera had more of a rocking sensation than a balcony.

The sensations would have a lot more to do with the location of the cabin than whether it is an inside or veranda cabin. Their initial choice was mid-ship which is a very stable location while the replacement cabin was at the end of the ship which is subject to great movement than the middle of the ship. Think of a see-saw: The pivot in the middle doesn't rise up or down while the ends have the greatest vertical movement.

I agree, if the article is 100% accurate, they deserve to get a full refund of the price they paid for the cruise, plus any additional damages they incurred to clothing, personal items.

I would take it one step further and believe Celebrity should try to win these customers back by comp'ing an equivalent cruise....

I would take it one step further and believe Celebrity should try to win these customers back by comp'ing an equivalent cruise....

I think so too. Their initial offer of basically nothing was ridiculous. I am appalled at this though I must say my experience with one person in CS for a post cruise issue we had was less than satisfactory. I did take it up the ladder and got a very satisfactory resolution though I don't like the fact that this had to go so far.

My fav story about CS is the following. One night 4 of us went to an Italian place for dinner. We were done in 70 mins. on a busy Sat. night. Thw waiter asked us if the manager came to speak with us. Huh? As it turned out our order was delayed b/c one of our entrees was taken by mistake by another waiter so due to this error they comped the entire meal inc. drinks. Of course the point is they did not have to and we would have not know it but they did the honorable thing and the pound wise thing. This made us loyal cistomers and we have given out many referrals. Do a little, gain a lot.

What about the cabin below them? Plus if it was in a wall between the hall and cabin it would be in the bathroom area so the water should be contained there. I know the floor in the lav is elevated for the drain piping and if anything it should have leaked thru the floor, but cabin are made in pods.

Something strange about that.

Except for my suit and a few of my wife's dresses there is nothing else that is ruined by water and those items are hung in the closet. Everything else is in drawers or on the shelves. We don't throw or leave anything on the floor. Luggage is water proof so no damage there.

I can see where there are no extra cabins and that would be tough.

I guess X thinks that $100 is the difference between 1 night in the inside and a balcony.

They should have offered to do some laundry and dry cleaning if needed.

Other than a wet carpet and so called odors it was a accident that could have been worse. Don't really know the whole story but many tend to exaggerate when they think that they are in a position to get more.

I have read many times about some bride whose honeymoon was a total disaster because the crew didn't bow down kiss her A as she expected everyone should do. They forget that there are few thousand other passengers that also paid for a cruise and have the same privileges and service and are also celebrating

Archived