What is Florida like to drive?

BigKeith

Is Florida pretty simple to navigate and drive around (Miami-PC-Tampa)

I know getting used to an automatic might take some time but should be simple after a bit of practice. But is everywhere well signposted and good roads to get about?

Big Keith

I've never been lost in south FL, and there are signs everywhere. On i-95 in Miami the left lane is an automatic toll lane for much of the way so don't go in that lane. I think it helps to look at a map first to know which direction the main roads go in. Most of the streets are numbered and they go in order. The address numbers correspond with opposite street numbers. I had no problem driving to PC and Cocoa Beach.

I know getting used to an automatic might take some time but should be simple after a bit of practice. But is everywhere well signposted and good roads to get about?

Big Keith

I think so and don't use a GPS, but then I've lived here 26 years. Occasionally I will print out detailed sections from Google Maps because landmarks like stores and small businesses are shown and can be used to help me locate a specific address.

Do you have a specific concern?

I've never been lost in south FL, and there are signs everywhere. On i-95 in Miami the left lane is an automatic toll lane for much of the way so don't go in that lane. I think it helps to look at a map first to know which direction the main roads go in. Most of the streets are numbered and they go in order. The address numbers correspond with opposite street numbers. I had no problem driving to PC and Cocoa Beach.

How long would a clear drive from FL to PC or FL to Tampa take? Thanks

I think so and don't use a GPS, but then I've lived here 26 years. Occasionally I will print out detailed sections from Google Maps because landmarks like stores and small businesses are shown and can be used to help me locate a specific address.

Do you have a specific concern?

One of my concerns is roundabouts, I know Americans don't use as many as us Brits but I just seem to struggle with the concept of turning right at a roundabout. Many of those in FL?

Thanks

1000's of Brits drive in Florida every year without problem. Things to watch out for are toll plaza's, lanes reserved for rush hour traffic and on the freeway, exit lanes which suddenly say "right lane must exit". At some junctions you can turn right against the red light as long no pedestrians are crossing. DO NOT SPEED. Do not change lanes in roadworks. If you are stopped by a traffic officer don't get out of the car and keep your hands where they can be seen. For some time now rental cars have no identification to show the police that you are a tourist so just be cool. It is very unlikely you will ever be stopped. If you live in Slough and use the M25, you will find driving in Florida easy.

Florida is very simple to Navigate although the only thing I would be concerned with is aggressive drivers. It took a lot of getting used to the people driving so close to your rear when we first moved to Florida. The other thing is people have no concept of what a red light means here in this state. I lived in many states and have traveled cross country several times and Florida has by far the most red light runners. When you get a green light do yourself a favor and look both ways before crossing a intersection.

Keep with traffic and you wont get a ticket... cops are too lazy to get out of their air conditioned cruisers to write a ticket (for the most part).:cool:

Big Keith

I had no problem driving on the "wrong" side of the road in Australia for 3 months so you should have no problem in Florida.

I would get a GPS so you can deal with driving and not with figuring out where to go. Also, remember the many of the drivers in Florida are about 99 years old who can barely see over the dashboard and have a minimal idea of where they are and where they are going. You will see lots of cars that appear to not have a driver because they are so short. They also tend to crawl at about 15 miles per hour wandering from one side of the road to another.

Have fun.

DON

IMHO Florida is terrifying to drive. Idiots follow too close, don't pay attention and drive too fast. We live in Kissimmee and are taking the train to Miami for our cruise. I have flown from here to Ft Lauderdale and Miami more times than I have driven it because we have more than our share of stupid people. Add to that sad fact is the reality of traffic challenges that might cause huge delays.

One of my concerns is roundabouts, I know Americans don't use as many as us Brits but I just seem to struggle with the concept of turning right at a roundabout. Many of those in FL?

Thanks

There is a round about about two miles from my house and I think it is the one Capt_BJ is talking about. I avoid it since I always get cut off by some idiot who changes lanes without a signal and almost crashes into me. People in this state can not drive.

Driving on I-95 is easy since they just made it three lanes in each direction throughout the state. Be careful on the Orlando area roads (528, 417, 429, and 408) as they have toll lanes and you have to exit the interstate to pay the toll unless you have a SunPass or E-Pass. Also try to avoid I-4 during rush hour unless you like sitting for long periods of time.

Sorry but I disagree..I think your signs and Interstate #'s are :confused:..One direction it will say the name of the exit but going the other way just a # is very confusing, and only allowed to drive in the fast lane when passing and so many toll roads :confused: :eek::eek:...And this is from a very experienced Los Angeles driver.

Florida is very simple to Navigate although the only thing I would be concerned with is aggressive drivers. It took a lot of getting used to the people driving so close to your rear when we first moved to Florida. The other thing is people have no concept of what a red light means here in this state. I lived in many states and have traveled cross country several times and Florida has by far the most red light runners. When you get a green light do yourself a favor and look both ways before crossing a intersection.

Keep with traffic and you wont get a ticket... cops are too lazy to get out of their air conditioned cruisers to write a ticket (for the most part).:cool:

Interesting, I honestly would have said about the opposite. Florida drivers are pretty tame. Compared to places like LA, northern Virginia, or New York, they're a piece of cake. And then if you really want crazy drivers, try Athens.

Interesting, I honestly would have said about the opposite. Florida drivers are pretty tame. Compared to places like LA, northern Virginia, or New York, they're a piece of cake. And then if you really want crazy drivers, try Athens.

Or Mexico City, or Buenos Aires....

having lived in both central florida and on long island, new york, i prefer driving in new york (but i've spent much more time doing so). florida drivers are not all old people. the orlando-port canaveral area is probably comprised of half tourists at almost any given time. my main concerns were road rage and red light runners. there are A LOT of red light runners in central florida, so i agree with a previous poster who recommends checking your cross roads even when you have the green light or right of way.

also, the drive between ft. lauderdale and orlando/port canaveral is pretty straightforward. going across to tampa may add in a couple major highways, but isn't much more difficult... just longer.

I live in Northern Virginia and have a place in Fort Lauderdale and have lived in Athens and couldn't agree with you more!! I'd add Rome to the list of crazy drivers -- when we lived there in the 80s all traffic lights changed to blinking yellow at about 10 pm (early evening by Rome dinner standards :)) and were treated by drivers as discretionary.

I am geographically challenged and somewhat navigationally challenged ... even with a built in GPS. (I know I know, but I OWN my faults).

Florida is easy to get around, I've yet to get lost in south FL (I live in NE FL). Roundabouts are few.

The one thing drivers in FL absolutely CAN'T do is MERGE! Getting on freeways the concept of merging (think a zipper) just seems to baffel everyone.

I'm not sure how much experience the OP has with North American driving. For me, as someone who drives for a living, and probably does in excess of 100,000 miles a year, the idea of adapting to England driving rules would scare the hell out of me. So I imagine someone doing the other way around is probably nerve wracking enough without having to worry about where you actually are going.

I do chuckle at the statement of getting used to an automatic. But only a little bit because after having spent 20 years shifting gears in a truck, getting an automatic last fall was a surprising change, one that I thought would be a lot easier. South Florida is pretty easy to get around. One nice thing is if you miss an exit, the next one is right there and you can either double back to where you want to be, or take the city street back.

One handy thing I like to do in advance of going to a new place is have a look at it either on Google maps, or Google Earth. I use Google Earth all the time and since the streetviews have been added in the last few years, they really help to familiarize me with an area. I usually check out what the highway exits look like, see what the signs say so I know what to expect, any landmarks around the area that will give me advance warning I'm near where I want to be. They aren't always the most up to date, and construction might change things a bit, but in general, it's a very handy tool to use in trip planning.

Florida is very easy to navigate. Long, straight, level roads (unlike what we're used to in the NorthEast). Miami itself sucks to drive in, but once your out of there the trip across Aligator Ally is simple, if anything...boring.

Except when you spot alligators.

Fort Lauderdale to Port Canaveral is about 3 hours 16 minutes

Fort Lauderdale to Tampa is about 4 hours 18 minutes

Noooooo

Ft L to PC is well under 200 miles with a speed limit on 95 of 75 (most of the way and no one pays attention to) .. 200 miles @ 75 mph is . . 2.7 hours according to my math (and I've done it in MUCH less cuz driving 75 on 95 means people wave at you with one finger)

I do this one in little over 2 hours

Archived