Azamara vs. Oceania - my opinion

travelinjudy

We recently took 2 cruises withing a few weeks of each other--one on the Oceania Regatta and one on the Azamara Journey. We had a Penthouse Suite on "O" and a Club Continent Suite on "A"--so esentially the same thing, and were able to compare the suites, the service and food on both ships. Here's what we found:

The suites: The suite on Azamara was MUCH nicer than the one on Oceania.

When we walked in we were struck by how much nicer it was. The way it was laid out, the furnishings, and the storage were clearly of a higher quality.

The service: Although the service on Oceania was good, it often gave a feeling of superficial friendliness, and at times, very rushed. Several times our plates were attempted to be picked up before we had even finished the food on them. And the concierge on Oceania gave a passenger the "not my job" response when she asked for help with something she had booked independently. Our butler on Oceania was satisfactory. Our butler on Azamara, Soovia, was AZAMAZING, and couldn't do enough for us. The service on Azamara in general was fantastic.

The food: The food on the Regatta was very mediocre, with some of being quite tasteless or else way too salty. And many of the salad offerings were

unimaginative. Had an experience in Polo with food that was way undercooked and almost inedible. They tried to make up for it on another night, however. All in all, I got pretty bored with the food, although the presentation was very nice.

On Azamara, the food and presentation were wonderful. Some very creative offerings, and the food in both specialty restaurants was outstanding. The soups were not overly salty, either. There were many wonderful offerings, and I never got bored with the food--as witnessed by my weight gain! Suffice it to say I loved the food on Azamara

In addition, there are so many differences on Azamara that make them outshine Oceania and make me an Azamara cheerleader. As stated on numerous postings numerous times, the staff on board is absolutely outstanding and they can't do enough for you. That isn't the attitude on Oceania. Oceania seems to take their passengers for granted.

In summary, IMHO, there is no comparison between the two cruise lines--Azamara is far superior. :D

Edited by travelinjudy

Judy, my only complaint about your posting is that we still have 14 months of waiting before we get to enjoy our Azamara suite for 11 nights of Scandinavian hedonism. We are really new to cruising, I haven't done too much homework regarding Oceania's product, I've just gotten the gestalt that it was a higher end product when compared to Az. Having been on only one AZ cruise, I have no desire to look elsewhere, and your posting just firms up my belief. Anyway, advancing from veranda to club continental apparently is a significant jump. I'm still fishing for specifics as to just what the butler does that makes them such an asset, and would love to hear more specifics from you. You are probably aware that Soovia has been mentioned on other postings, again, very, very favorably. So please, keep posting. OBTW: I am going to be copying your post, and sending it on friends who will be joining us next year. Kind of stoking the fires of envy, if you will.

Thank you for your comparison. I also have thought that Oceania would be a step up from Azamara and had been considering "giving them a go" however recently I have had the feeling that I might be disappointed and you have just confirmed this for me.

We are looking forward to our fourth cruise with Az. Our previous cruises have been excellent and I think we might be disappointed if we chose another line.

We love the friendliness of Azamara, our fellow passengers and the size of the ship.

Thank you TravelinJudy for the great comparison. It is especially informative that it was within a short timeline instead of comparing a year apart when things might have changed. Unfortunately I have never stayed in the suites you mentioned, just veranda, but I have viewed them when they open a couple for viewing (and inciting envy). I have wondered about Oceania, but frankly, since I first cruised with Azamara 5 cruises ago, I have not been interested in any other line. (Although I will admit I have my eye on the Silversea Antarctica cruise.) Your experience with Azamara matches mine exactly.

DrH - you don't have to wait a year to go to the fjords. Some of us are going in July. Perhaps you can go this year too, so you can tell the other couple even more about what to expect.

We agree that Azamara is tops. After 5 Oceania and 4 Azamara cruises (and other lines in between), we believe Azamara cannot be beat for friendliness, service, comfort, layout, and warmth of the ship. Sitting in Mosaic with great coffee, lovely snacks, and good conversation brings people together and adds such warmth to the enviornment. Also, being able to dine on board, then return to Portofino or Monaco or St. Tropez for wandering, a glass of wine, and people watching is such fun. If anything is not top notch on an Azamara cruise, they will fix it, whereas Oceania (and other lines) look at you as though it's your problem. We feel we have found "a home away from home" and Azamara is the only way we will cruise now. ddcruiser

We agree that Azamara is tops. After 5 Oceania and 4 Azamara cruises (and other lines in between), we believe Azamara cannot be beat for friendliness, service, comfort, layout, and warmth of the ship. Sitting in Mosaic with great coffee, lovely snacks, and good conversation brings people together and adds such warmth to the enviornment. Also, being able to dine on board, then return to Portofino or Monaco or St. Tropez for wandering, a glass of wine, and people watching is such fun. If anything is not top notch on an Azamara cruise, they will fix it, whereas Oceania (and other lines) look at you as though it's your problem. We feel we have found "a home away from home" and Azamara is the only way we will cruise now. ddcruiser

You've added many of the "other reasons" I feel Azamara is a cut above.

We have also taken 5 Oceania and 5 Azamara cruises. Another thing I noticed on the most recent Oceania cruise is that they are beginning to "nickel and dime" you with some of their charges. That added to my feeling that Oceania's quality has slipped. Azamara is definately the way to go!

been on 5 A cruises with two more this summer. Tried the new marina and came back saying A was so much better. so agree about the butler and food. .Prime C bar makes the best Cosmo's around..

The coffee on A is great and the list goes on and on..

speaking of friendliness I have crew know me from past cruises.. love the freindly captain...

have fun on my second home for me.

Hi Travelinjudy,

I wanted to say thank you for your comparison. As I've not sailed on Oceania, I have nothing more to add, but your comments were a very interesting read.

We are sailing on Oceania Marina in just under a month ourselves and then will be able to compare this cruise line with the wonderful Azamara experience.

I am a devoted Azamara fan......well the onboard experience anyway ;) and I think Oceania would have to be very good indeed to compare favourably with the wonderful crew, food, service and the great atmosphere on Quest. Simply put......absolutely the BEST crew and ship at sea.......with Journey coming in a close second!

However, I do have to say that I am very happy with the Oceania pre cruise information, the booking process, the lovely presentation of the pre cruise documents and the prompt shoreside service when I asked them a question about the ports of call. The Azamara shoreside team could certainly learn some lessons here.

And of course......it is very easy to obtain an Oceania Brochure!

Sorry Bill.......couldn't resist it!! :D:D:D

We are sailing on Oceania Marina in just under a month ourselves and then will be able to compare this cruise line with the wonderful Azamara experience.

I am a devoted Azamara fan......well the onboard experience anyway ;) and I think Oceania would have to be very good indeed to compare favourably with the wonderful crew, food, service and the great atmosphere on Quest. Simply put......absolutely the BEST crew and ship at sea.......with Journey coming in a close second!

However, I do have to say that I am very happy with the Oceania pre cruise information, the booking process, the lovely presentation of the pre cruise documents and the prompt shoreside service when I asked them a question about the ports of call. The Azamara shoreside team could certainly learn some lessons here.

And of course......it is very easy to obtain an Oceania Brochure!

Sorry Bill.......couldn't resist it!! :D:D:D

The difference between the two lines will become instantly obvious to you if you have a problem while you're onboard an Oceania ship. After three Oceania cruises we decided enough was enough and switched to Azamara. Nine Azamara cruises later we know we would never go back to Oceania. All those shiny Oceania brochures we frequently receive in the mail don't make up for the lack of caring once you're on the ship.

We also have cruised both lines and I have nothing of substance to add to what's been said. Azamara is clearly the superior product at this time. (It was'nt at the outset.) Oceania should surely consider reducing its advertising budget (those wretched ceaseless brochures!) and putting the savings into on board performance, as well as encouraging its service personnel to be a little less aloof.

We also have cruised both lines and I have nothing of substance to add to what's been said. Azamara is clearly the superior product at this time. (It was'nt at the outset.) Oceania should surely consider reducing its advertising budget (those wretched ceaseless brochures!) and putting the savings into on board performance, as well as encouraging its service personnel to be a little less aloof.

Hi Paul Bernard,

Interesting point. I made the same comment a few days ago, wondering how much Oceania is spending on marketing. It seems I receive an Oceania item in the mail, like every week or two... and I've never sailed with them ! Their budget must be mind blowing, and it certainly seems like overkill to me. One would think they could put a big chunk of that budget to better use.

I am an Oceania fan (have done 3 O cruises, have one later this month and 1 next year) but I am not a slave to one line. I also sail Celebrity from time to time and I enjoy that too.

I have booked my first Azamara cruise for next year and I am looking forward to it. A few years ago, I would never have cruised Azamara -- way too many negative posts. But now things seemed to have improved greatly and even some regular O cruisers are making favorable comparisons.

One of the reasons I chose Azamara is that I love the R ships. I did not care for Marina (just sailed her in November). I think much is lost with the 500 additional passengers. By adding Azamara to my choices I have more R ship itineraries to choose from.

OK....food for thought there.

I don't have long to wait to compare them both, so perhaps I will post my comparisons and thoughts on the pro's and con's of Azamara and Oceania when I return.

I have to say that Marina looks to be a very beautiful ship though.....but I don't think any ship could replace Quest in my affections, so I may be agreeing with travelinjudy after our return in June.

And I will get my next Quest "fix" in September.....this cruise is to replace our cancelled Nov 7th cruise.....but almost four weeks after booking we STILL haven't received any paperwork! :(

there is no real way to compare the two.. after 5 cruises on A and having wait staff welcoming back... better butlers etc.. seeing the captain daily..

never saw him on O..

i have freinds who go on O for the ports but they lose perks.

the only thing that O has is the West coast of S America. was going to do that cruise and after one cruise said NO! So i wil leither go by land or never go..

I am a four-time Oceania cruiser, and am a huge fan, but this thread simply makes me even more excited about our upcoming Azamara Quest cruise with its fabulous itinerary for ruins fans like me (four Sicilian ports, Valletta, and even Salerno for Paestum).

there is no real way to compare the two.. after 5 cruises on A and having wait staff welcoming back... better butlers etc.. seeing the captain daily..

never saw him on O..

Never saw captain or senior staff officers on Regent, either--over a 25-day cruise. Excellent food, service, standard suite, etc., but nowhere near the same warmth and congeniality as Azamara. It's really hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it.

I am a four-time Oceania cruiser, and am a huge fan, but this thread simply makes me even more excited about our upcoming Azamara Quest cruise

I am in same boat. LOL The more I read this thread the more I am becoming a fan of Azamara and I haven't even sailed on it yet.

I beg to differ with the OP. I sailed on the Regatta last November and the food was absolutely delicious. It is unlikely that the Regatta's chefs have all hired on the Journey since then. LOL

My cruise on the Journey was shortly before its' club' days, so a comparison between the two ships would not be fair to today's Azamara Line.

I beg to differ with the OP. I sailed on the Regatta last November and the food was absolutely delicious. It is unlikely that the Regatta's chefs have all hired on the Journey since then. LOL

Journey's food was absolutely delicious in October. No need for any chefs from Regatta. LOL

Never saw captain or senior staff officers on Regent, either--over a 25-day cruise. Excellent food, service, standard suite, etc., but nowhere near the same warmth and congeniality as Azamara. It's really hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it.

so true about the captain and just explaining...

also was on regent.. not my style either.

Another thing I noticed on the most recent Oceania cruise is that they are beginning to "nickel and dime" you with some of their charges.

Can you tell me what they are now Nickel & diming for?

Must be a certain chef who has a heavy hand with the salt ...we had that problem on Insignia in 2010

• 2 weeks later...

We've sailed O 2X & just returned from AZ Journey Rouen to Amsterdam, & I felt that AZ has clear advantages.

One of them was the Captain, whose announcements were simple, interesting & technical enough to get you thinking about the art of sailing a large ship. He was visible everyday & made an effort to chat casually with passengers. We liked that very much.

Despite the fact that O & AZ both use R ships, we felt that AZ offers better value for money, wonderful shore excursions at extremely reasonable prices (esp given the 50% discount you get for booking before boarding - the value floored us esp after the very high prices we experienced last summer in Alaska on O), has nicer decor, & the entertainment is top notch & goes on for hours. While you'll never see a full length Broadway show on either O or AZ, AZ seems to do a great job of keeping you entertained over a period of several evening hours.

AND I liked it very very VERY much that the comedian got everybody laughing without offending anyone. A rare experience, esp on O.

We'll be back on AZ before too long, I hope!

We've sailed O 2X & just returned from AZ Journey Rouen to Amsterdam, & I felt that AZ has clear advantages.

One of them was the Captain, whose announcements were simple, interesting & technical enough to get you thinking about the art of sailing a large ship. He was visible everyday & made an effort to chat casually with passengers. We liked that very much.

alue for money, wonderful shore excursions at extremely re

Despite the fact that O & AZ both use R ships, we felt that AZ offers better vasonable prices (esp given the 50% discount you get for booking before boarding - the value floored us esp after the very high prices we experienced last summer in Alaska on O), has nicer decor, & the entertainment is top notch & goes on for hours. While you'll never see a full length Broadway show on either O or AZ, AZ seems to do a great job of keeping you entertained over a period of several evening hours.

AND I liked it very very VERY much that the comedian got everybody laughing without offending anyone. A rare experience, esp on O.

We'll be back on AZ before too long, I hope!

I dont agree with a lot that has been said about the comparison..but I will say if the Captain you are talking about is Captain Smith..he is the best Captain I have sailed with in 60 cruises and I have been with him 3 times..

Jancruz1