tips.hotel charge more

Hi

I am sailing on the Amsterdam to Alaska. I know about the auto charge for tips/(hotel charge) what ever they call it. I will leave that in place. I want to bring something extra to leave for the crew. I already have some snacks I was wondering if there are other things that they do not get from Hal. The little gifts will just be something extra for the crew.

Thanks

Mary

Mo$t crew appreciate gift$ that come in the form of green colored paper.

Or fill out a card that $how$ management that they are doing a great job.

They live in $mall quarter$. They don't have the room for much. While they would be plea$antly appreciative of whatever you give them, they really would prefer ca$h.

Hi

I am sailing on the Amsterdam to Alaska. I know about the auto charge for tips/(hotel charge) what ever they call it. I will leave that in place. I want to bring something extra to leave for the crew. I already have some snacks I was wondering if there are other things that they do not get from Hal. The little gifts will just be something extra for the crew.

Thanks

Mary

Mary - nice idea - if it's something they can eat and enjoy - that's great.

In all honesty we tend to just bring plain cash - why? they have limited room in their cabins (and they are NOT staterooms) so no place to store stuff. With the different nationalities, it's difficult to choose wisely, especially ahead of time. So we just give them extra money. That seems to go over quite well:D Also as long as the ship is going to be in the same area - some like the calling cards:)

Mary - nice idea - if it's something they can eat and enjoy - that's great.

In all honesty we tend to just bring plain cash - why? they have limited room in their cabins (and they are NOT staterooms) so no place to store stuff. With the different nationalities, it's difficult to choose wisely, especially ahead of time. So we just give them extra money. That seems to go over quite well:D Also as long as the ship is going to be in the same area - some like the calling cards:)

The only time we ever gave a gift instead of a cash tip (or maybe it was in addition to cash), we bought a calling card. We had an excellent cabin stewardess on our second cruise on the Norway and wanted to do something more personal than just money. The ship did the same itinerary every week, so we bought her a card that we knew she could use to call home.

Now that so many crew members have laptops/netbooks and can email or skype, we wouldn't give a calling card. Just Ca$h. I KNOW they can use that.

BTW, has anyone else noticed how many of the crew use the free wifi in cruise terminals? I think it's great that they can take advantage of this. I remember the old days of the long lines at the pay phones in port, crew members using so much of their limited time ashore just waiting to make a call.

Hi

Thanks

Mary

We also agree that the Crew really does not have the space to store anything..We just give them an extra cash tip..When they are given free time' date=' they love to visit the Walmart type stores in Alaska & there they can spend their cash on anything they want..[/size']

Also how are you planning to pack those snacks? If you are putting them into checked luggage, they could get broken or crushed..If you are planning on carrying them in your hand luggage are you sure they will get by TSA?

You might want to read post No. 25 in the following thread which was on Cruise critic in 2009..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1002761&page=2

In additon Joyce Gleeson-Adamidis, who is the wife of a Cruise Captain, wrote an article around 2006 entitled "Uner the Captain's table" In it she give a few suggestions about gifts..

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

Enjoy your cruise..

Cheers...Betty

We also agree that the Crew really does not have the space to store anything..We just give them an extra cash tip..When they are given free time, they love to visit the Walmart type stores in Alaska & there they can spend their cash on anything they want..

You might want to read post No. 25 in the following thread which was on Cruise critic in 2009..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1002761&page=2

In additon Joyce Gleeson-Adamidis, who is the wife of a Cruise Captain, wrote an article around 2006 entitled "Uner the Captain's table" In it she give a few suggestions about gifts..

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

Enjoy your cruise..

Cheers...Betty

great links Betty - thank you:):)

On our last cruise I asked our cabin stewards what port they were having time off in - turned out it was San Juan - DH and I gave them some green paper then and they were thrilled - we later saw them in one of the stores buying gifts for their children back in Indonesia. Of course, there was more of the same $$$ at the end of the cruise too!!!

Cash is always calorie free, no need to worry about gluten or sugar or carbohydrates, carries 'light', always the right size.......

It fits and works for everyone.

We don't know what snacks they like, what food allergies they may have etc......

Cash is always really appreciated.

Mary, No need to feel quilty at all.

If you leave the hotel service charge in place, you have provided what HAL requests so that is fine. If you feel you want to give a bit more thanks, that is also fine but not to feel quilty if you do not. :)

Mary, No need to feel quilty at all.

If you leave the hotel service charge in place, you have provided what HAL requests so that is fine. If you feel you want to give a bit more thanks, that is also fine but not to feel quilty if you do not. :)

I think a lot of passengers are doing just that and not tipping extra.

On our Maasdam cruise last fall, our waiter Rianto and assistant waiter Henry were so good that we wanted to give them extra tips. We had booked the Pinnacle for the last night to avoid the MCD, and forgot to take the tips on our last night with them inthe MDR.

We knew Rianto worked the Lido at lunch, so we found him and gave him the envelope, explaining that we would not see him at dinner that night. We asked how we could find Henry, and he said that Henry would be at the Lido in about an hour. So went back later, found Henry, and gave him his envelope. He was astonished that someone would bother to track him down just to give him a tip, so I suspect there aren't a lot of extra tips.

Thank you so much. I am still a bit of a newbie after being away from sailing last year. I felt a bit guilty from last year cruise not giving a little extra.

thanks

Mary

Another thing you can do for crew that have given good service is to mention this to their supervisor and/or mention them by names in a comment on the questionnaire you get at the end of the cruise. Those "brownie points" add up to extra time off in port, etc.

Another thing you can do for crew that have given good service is to mention this to their supervisor and/or mention them by names in a comment on the questionnaire you get at the end of the cruise. Those "brownie points" add up to extra time off in port, etc.

That's what we did after our cruise last year. Didn't know enough then to tip extra, but I did make a point to mention all of the specific staff on our survey at the end of the cruise.

I think a lot of passengers are doing just that and not tipping extra.

On our Maasdam cruise last fall, our waiter Rianto and assistant waiter Henry were so good that we wanted to give them extra tips. We had booked the Pinnacle for the last night to avoid the MCD, and forgot to take the tips on our last night with them inthe MDR.

We knew Rianto worked the Lido at lunch, so we found him and gave him the envelope, explaining that we would not see him at dinner that night. We asked how we could find Henry, and he said that Henry would be at the Lido in about an hour. So went back later, found Henry, and gave him his envelope. He was astonished that someone would bother to track him down just to give him a tip, so I suspect there aren't a lot of extra tips.

Totally off topic, but would you happen to know if Rianto performed in the 'crew show', if there was one?

I'm actually surprised that I remember this:o, but I met a 'Rianto' on either Statendam, or Volendam within the last 3 years (Alaska) ....really terrific waiter, but an even better singer. It was such a pleasure to watch the crew perform, exceeded my expectations regarding the level of talent. Anyway, this fellow could really, really sing, had a great smile, seemed so happy doing so. I had forgotten all about it, until I saw the name 'Rianto'. Not sure why it matters, guess I'm just curious. Thanks.

Cash is a one-size-fits all, one "diet" suits all sort of extra gift. :) The only time we've given a crew member something other than extra cash was at one port: We happened to get into a conversation with a crew member who was lamenting that she wasn't able to get off that day and a store there had sometime she wanted; she said something along the lines of she'd have to telephone and see if they would ship it home for her (this was in Norway). When we got off we found the store, bought it, and brought it back to her. Otherwise, cash, a thank you note, and a note to their supervisor are very much appreciated.

Totally off topic, but would you happen to know if Rianto performed in the 'crew show', if there was one?

I'm actually surprised that I remember this:o, but I met a 'Rianto' on either Statendam, or Volendam within the last 3 years (Alaska) ....really terrific waiter, but an even better singer. It was such a pleasure to watch the crew perform, exceeded my expectations regarding the level of talent. Anyway, this fellow could really, really sing, had a great smile, seemed so happy doing so. I had forgotten all about it, until I saw the name 'Rianto'. Not sure why it matters, guess I'm just curious. Thanks.

Did he roll his r's a lot? He would do that as he repeated what we ordered. We always laughed when he did that, because DH and I are not good at that. Some nights we looked for things to order with lots of r's in the name. One night we managed to find all good choices with NO r's. We kind of did it on purpose to tease him, and he thought that was funny. In all of our cruises, I think that was one of the top three for waiter service. (The other two were on Cunard, once in the Grills, that's how good Rianto and Henry were.)

That's what we did after our cruise last year. Didn't know enough then to tip extra, but I did make a point to mention all of the specific staff on our survey at the end of the cruise.

Don't feel that you have to tip extra. There is the auto-tip/hotel charge whatever they call it. But if you feel the service is worthy, then an extra tip is nice to do.

If you want to see something funny, go to a supervisor and ask if so-and-so reports to him/her. There's often a momentary look of fear. People are far more likey to speak to a supervisor about a problem than a compliment, and you can see the "uh-oh" look in their eyes as they try to keep a straight face.

On our last cruise (QM2), we were chatting with the Cruise Director and asked him if the library staff reported to him. I could see him brace himself as he said "No, is there a problem?" So we assured him there was NO problem, we just wanted to say how wonderful and helpful they were. He relaxed and said he would pass along the compliments to the appropriate department.

:)

Thank you so much. I am still a bit of a newbie after being away from sailing last year. I felt a bit guilty from last year cruise not giving a little extra.

thanks

Mary

I have read here on CC the Indonesian crew (waiters' date=' cabin stewards) love Pringle Potato Chips. They would travel well because of the way they are packaged.:)[/color']

Did he roll his r's a lot? He would do that as he repeated what we ordered. We always laughed when he did that, because DH and I are not good at that. Some nights we looked for things to order with lots of r's in the name. One night we managed to find all good choices with NO r's. We kind of did it on purpose to tease him, and he thought that was funny. In all of our cruises, I think that was one of the top three for waiter service. (The other two were on Cunard, once in the Grills, that's how good Rianto and Henry were.)

Yes, Kathy, he certainly did roll his r's a lot:) What a fun memory.

Thanks so much for confirming that it is/was the same Rianto....and I think Henry was with him when I saw him on Statendam, as well. I think it was Statendam.:confused: I had met some really fun ladies from Australia who hung out with me, as this was my first solo cruise. It was amazing, and Rianto stands out at as a perfect example of outstanding service. We had open-seating, and after our first night, we requested his section for the remainder of the cruise. Very nice to think of it all. Thanks:)

Yes, Kathy, he certainly did roll his r's a lot:) What a fun memory.

Thanks so much for confirming that it is/was the same Rianto....and I think Henry was with him when I saw him on Statendam, as well. I think it was Statendam.:confused: I had met some really fun ladies from Australia who hung out with me, as this was my first solo cruise. It was amazing, and Rianto stands out at as a perfect example of outstanding service. We had open-seating, and after our first night, we requested his section for the remainder of the cruise. Very nice to think of it all. Thanks:)

We did the same thing. We sat at one of Rianto and Henry's tables the first night and went to the podium on the way out and said that we wanted to keep that table because they were the best servers we'd had on HAL. Henry had the sweetest habit of placing the plate on the table and making a little bow, saying "Enjoy."

As others have said, instead of bringing snacks of your own choosing for people whose preferences and dietary restrictions you don't know, how much better to give them cash so that they can get what they really enjoy.

No matter what you give them, they will always thank you politely and tell you how much they like it, even if they end up tossing it into the trash as soon as you are out of sight.

If you really want to give them a non-cash gift, an indirect approach is to start talking about the upcoming port and ask for their recommendations of good things to get there. If they suggest the wonderful xxx candies at such-and-such store, then you know what to bring back for them.

I agree wholeheartedly about praising those who've given you superlative service. On our last transatlantic, we received a questionnaire mid-cruise asking "How are we doing so far?" and inviting suggestions for improvements. We mentioned our cabin stewards by name on the questionnaire (with very positive comments) and within one day they were thanking us sincerely for doing so! Seems the supervisors definitely do pass along the kudos we extend :)

Archived